The Voice Australia – Some Weird Decisions And Chitta Should Feel Ripped Off

Out of all the contestants on The Voice Australia Chitta Henneberry should feel the most ripped off. Move over Louise Van Veenendahl and Nicole Martini and give Chitta some time to lick her wounds. Poor Chitta’s battle round was not shown due to lack of time, and then last night she was eliminated from the competition even though Will.i.am said she out sung Mat Verevis. Zedke the indigneous duo could go far in the competition as each time they sing they show improvement. Interesting that even with Zaachiariah looking distracted on stage they still were great singing Say Something.

It was not the only dodgy decision of the night. Kylie ended up taking Megan Longhurst to the sing-off’s knocking out Rosie Henshaw who had done a fun and funky Shake Your Body. She lit up the stage compared to Megan’s very bland Wind Beneath My Wings. Her reasoning was she could help Megan more. I thought the show was about showcasing talent, and you had to wonder if Kylie felt threatened by her.

Kylie also took Johnny Rollin’s straight through to the live shows. He sang All Of Me and he does have some star quality.

Sabrina Batshon brought her particular brand of crazy to Team Ricky and cranked out Whitney Houston’s Queen of The Night. Her voice has improved since Idol unless reality TV shows auto tune has just gotten better. Josh MacDonald had no hope sandwiched between the two big voices of Sabrina and Elly Oh. Elly was taken through to the Sing-Offs.

Team Joel saw Talia Gouge through to the live shows and Holly Tapp through to the sing offs. Joel admitted that he was not going to select her until he saw her all done up on stage so must have decided to go with looks over the voice of Douglas Williams. But Joel made the right decision.

QANTAS a sponsor of The Voice Australia means the contestants are going overseas. Kylie’s are going to London and Joel and Ricky to New York and LA. They did not say where Will’s was going. But have to wonder what is the point. The show this year is so confusing as it looks like Sunday’s episode is over an hour of seeing the overseas and the live shows start on Monday.

But seriously don’t take my word on that.

1 Eliza { 06.16.14 at 3:27 pm }

I love that will.i.am keeps us on our toes and put ZK straight through. I had a strong feeling they were going to be in the live finals regardless though of whether they went straight through or to the final sing-off. Mat wasn’t great so he let himself down and it was obvious Chita was going home with their lack of focus on her. I think Mat will still be will’s choice in tonight’s ep though.

I am going to have to disagree with you on Rosie, RR. I wasn’t a fan and found her voice not that great. Sure Megan’s performance was a tad boring but hopefully Kylie can help her inject some fun. Both would have just been there as fodder for Johnny and John to go further though, let’s admit it! I am still hoping that Robbie becomes the fourth pick however I think Kylie might leave him out so he doesn’t distract from her Johnny and John combo.. Megan could be her final pick?!

Team Joel is pretty weak, IMO. It was interesting he left Doug out. We thought it sounded like he was performing at the local RSL.. :S. Will be interesting who he picks as his 4th contestant now as I was sure it would be Doug.

Can someone from another team please steal one of Ricky’s contestants to make it more interesting? If only we had (as Meep let us know) the US style of voting where some coach’s teams can be completely voted out! I like he put Sabrina straight through as she was the stand out last night. Tonight’s battle is between Elly and Fely. I would prefer Fely to go through as I was not impressed by Elly last night and found her pronunciation of words odd. I prefer Fely’s voice but hope they don’t continue to style her like DJ Havana Brown. We can enjoy a pretty girl singing without 75% of her body being on show.

2 daisy { 06.16.14 at 3:50 pm }

I thought last night was a bit boring. There wasn’t one singer I really enjoyed. I thought dreadlock guy was the best but they don’t want another Steve Clisbey.
I really don’t go Rosie H’s new age mystical, psychedic barefoot
hippy thing. New age is now old age.

3 daisy { 06.16.14 at 4:02 pm }

RH outfits were a bit witchy.

4 Trent { 06.16.14 at 5:17 pm }

How is this show fair? Clearly Ricky has The 3 best singers in the comp with Sabrina, C major and Jackson and some
Will be kicked out early and premature with mediocre acts getting
Through and staying longer. Is it too late for this to be fixed?

5 daisy { 06.16.14 at 6:11 pm }

Trent, the Voice always works like that. It’s what saw Rachel L outlast much better singers last year. She was on Delta’s team and Delta wasn’t a popular coach so singers who had a choice of coaches usually chose others.

6 daisy { 06.16.14 at 6:12 pm }

Edit: Rachel L was in the year before last.

7 Mark { 06.16.14 at 7:22 pm }

Yeah,

another interesting if somewhat boring show. There were a few singers I’d never seen before, or just not noticed. One was Sabrina Batshon. She managed to show more cleavage than Voice lady and Havana combined, but without looking trashy. She did a great performance but I thought Elly was far better vocally. I think Ricky deliberately didn’t pick Elly to make her fight even harder. Risky move, hope it pays off.

You have to admire Will i am’s honesty. He flat out said Chita out sang hat and piano boy, but that the show wasn’t fair and it wasn’t about who was best but about who he wanted to take thru to the finals. WTF? If that’s the case why even have these elimination rounds.? (Oh yeah ratings.)

What surprised me was how unexciting many of the singers are.

ZK, Johnny, Sabrina and Elly were the stand outs for me, with honourable mention for Rosie Henshaw simply because she played funk bass, moved and sang; and that ain’t easy.

The rest I’ve forgotten already.

8 Reality Raver { 06.16.14 at 7:41 pm }

Eliza – Agree with you Joel’s team is very weak. Also thought Ely did not live up to the hype last night either.

9 Reality Raver { 06.16.14 at 7:42 pm }

Daisy and Eliza – I really liked what Rosie was wearing has a smoking hot body. Agree she could tone the hippe schtick down. Apparently she sang at Lionel Cole’s wedding.

10 daisy { 06.16.14 at 8:38 pm }

Sorry RR, I reckon she looked like she was dressed by Leo Sayer, or Doctor Tooth.
I don’t mind a bit of hippie chick but she was way too Witchy Poo takes a magical mystery tour.

She looked better when she was in rehearsal and in the knee boots, imo.

And yes Mark, it looked like Sabrina had Louise’s lurex jump suit shortened.

But I now know if I send you a present it will be psychedelic leggings with stars and moons.

11 daisy { 06.16.14 at 9:20 pm }

Mark, it’s a farce isn’t it? They have sing offs, but then ignore the outcome and take who they want anyway. Cheeta was better than hat boy last night.

12 Esmeralda { 06.16.14 at 9:47 pm }

Boring except for ZK. Love them.

13 daisy { 06.16.14 at 11:44 pm }

Wow, difficult between Matt, and Julian. They both have very clear genres. But Julian is pretty locked into a 70s disco sound.

Elly O was the obvious choice based on tonight’s performances.

14 Eliza { 06.17.14 at 12:00 am }

They could have just saved us all weeks, literally, and picked their favs straight after the blinds, right?! It does become pretty obvious who they want to keep and not keep.

Trent, I agree.. the format is this show’s fatal flaw. As I said in another thread, I think we still will get the same outcome regardless, but it would be nice to have the better performers stick around longer.

Daisy, although I don’t love Mat or Julian, I thought Mat was a clear choice as Julian is boring. I am going to go all will.i.am and say it how it is.. Julian may have the voice of JT (Justin Timberlake) but he ain’t no JT. All they talk about is his wife. Yawn! Elly Oh was better tonight but she was lack-luster last night.. made me wonder whether she was a one song wonder when she bombed out on “Let It Go”.

I am not sure why, I usually tend to find most of the acts on this show boring and I can never really find a favourite. X Factor I tend to find more entertaining. My favs would have to be C-Major, Jackson, Robbie and ZK.

15 daisy { 06.17.14 at 12:09 am }

I am meeeelllltttiiingg. I am listening to Robbie Palmer atm.
Swoon for that performance.
I like the verbrato in Megan’s voice but loved Robbie.
And yeah, Eliza Matt and Julian were boring compared to Robbie.

Skirt man offered to show Kylie “something she hasn’t seen before” but I think she’s seen it all by now. He has flashed her enough times.
Also skirt man was all over the shop with that song.

16 daisy { 06.17.14 at 12:11 am }

Kat is screaming so much she will have no voice left for singing.

I liked the Tapp girl because I like her style.

17 Eliza { 06.17.14 at 12:38 am }

Skirt man aka Lionel was not good. He was trying to be too fancy pants.. if he wore any. I am sure Kylie has seen it all.. ugh.

I like Robbie and hope he is last man standing on team Kylie.

Kat seems like she is really overbearing. The Johns looked like they were thinking “shuuut uuuuup”.

I am not sure, I can’t bring myself to really like Holly Tapp. I find her style of singing on the irritating side. She is like the opposite of my style. I am not laid back enough to pull off her style.

18 daisy { 06.17.14 at 12:46 am }

So who do you like after Robbie? I still don’t think I can list my top 5.

I thought some of the ‘sraight to finals’ contestants were looking a bit cocky and comfortable. And yes, I think Kat was probably being annoying.

19 Eliza { 06.17.14 at 1:02 am }

My favs would have to be C-Major, Jackson, Robbie and ZK. Maybe throw Sabrina in there to round out a 5. In terms though of whose music I would be likely to listen to after the show, that would only really be Jackson and Robbie. Maybe C-Major if he released some fun pop to sing along to in the car.

20 daisy { 06.17.14 at 1:12 am }

I liked CMajor, Jackson, Robbie, Isaac and the brother in the brother and sister act.

21 Eliza { 06.17.14 at 1:29 am }

Oh, that reminds me I was going to google Gabriel and Cecilia and see what they sound like when they aren’t on The Voice.

22 Eliza { 06.17.14 at 1:37 am }

This is WAY better than I have heard them on the show. They don’t sound like mating cats! I like these two song A LOT! I can actually hear Gabriel sing in these songs and can now hear his nice voice.

23 Eliza { 06.17.14 at 2:08 am }

I really like this one. Listened to it 3 times already!

24 daisy { 06.17.14 at 2:52 am }

Thanks Eliza. Yep. I like them both but I havecalways like the brother a lot more. The sister also sometimescsounds lovely and clear.

25 Jane { 06.17.14 at 9:27 am }

I’m bored. Kylie and Joel make strange choices. The male singers in the finals are mostly boring or cliched. Holly Tapp seems a nice girl with a great future but I cannot see how she got to the finals on her performances. A couple of female singers are good. The larger girls with great voices have, surprise surprise, disappeared. The older performers with fascinating back stories, experience and talent have gone (although I have to say that the Barbra Streisand song was an unfortunate choice). The blind auditions were good but now I couldn’t care less who wins.

26 daisy { 06.17.14 at 9:51 am }

There must be quite a lot of Steve Clisbys and Lionels doing the world circuit of music comps looking for a mid life break.

27 Meep { 06.17.14 at 10:41 am }

I’m coming in a little late on these postings, but unfortunately I’m 16 hours behind you peoples, and didn’t get a chance to watch the Sing-Off episode until our Monday morning.

OK, I had a massive epic FAIL on most of my predictions for the last set of Showdowns. But, I only got one wrong in the winners of the Sing-Offs. Holly?!! Oh Joel, you greatly disappoint me. Holly = the female version of Jacob Lee = Who?

Oh, Elly Oh, how you disappointed me. *sob* While taking it back to your audition song helped you get through to the Lives, you now have only one more chance, just one more, to redeem yourself. Please don’t be an opera star and a one-song-wonder.

So glad Lionel is gone. Great voice, but, BOY was he irritating me with his OTT [in]sincerity. Chita’s voice reminded me of a young Michael Jackson’s voice…I hated Michael Jackson’s voice when he was young, so, not sorry to see her go. YAY, no more cutesy-wutesy newlywed, awww how sweet video clips (adios, Julian). Bye, Sk8ter Boi (Jacob), I now have battle scars in the shape of a question mark.

Sorry to see Doug go, so smooooooooooth. Kinda wish Fely had gone through – she was consistent, and has the whole package (looks, voice, stage-presence), but I think she’s missing originality (she kind of reminded me of every current female pop-star I can think of).

Mark – Sabrina Batshon showed more cleavage than Voice Lady and Havana because she actually HAS cleavage. 😉 btw – the answer to your question from the previous topic, of how Voice Lady didn’t have a serious wardrobe malfunction…two-sided sticky tape, mega-industrial strength (her chest barely moved when she jumped up and down – I only noticed because I was also waiting for her to pop out).

daisy/Eliza – For some reason, I kept getting the impression that Cecilia’s microphone was turned up too loud for every performance. Maybe that’s why she sounds kind of shrill. As for Kat, I’m thinking she should now be called ADHD-girl.

I just can’t get into ZK – I think it’s the female’s voice that throws me off, I think it’s shriller than Cecilia’s. Gabriel and Cecilia would sound so much better if they could adjust their vocal volume to be more equal.

OK, time for predictions! In order of Team Will, Kylie, Joel, then Ricky:

Public Vote: Mat Verevis, Will: ZK (or he might surprise everyone and go with the other duo)

Public Vote: Johnny Rollins, Kylie: Robbie Palmer

Public Vote: Isaac McGovern, Joel: Frank Lakoudis

Public Vote: C Major, Ricky: Sabrina Batshon

My personal favs for each team are Ricky: C Major, Kylie: Johnny, Will: Mat Verevis (though I’d like him to come out from behind his piano and do something more upbeat and from a different genre), Joel: Taila’s kind of grown on me.

I was reading an “as it was happening” blog of the Sing-Offs earlier today, and thought I’d share a funny comment about will.i.am:

“He has somehow finagled it so his top four actually consists of seven people. God, that is just classic will.”

Oh so true. LOL

28 Eliza { 06.17.14 at 12:53 pm }

I love will.i.am.. haven’t heard as much from him lately. I want more of his stories about his factories.

Meep, I think G&C will be top 2 in team Will along with Mat. The public tend to like guys like him.

Kylie is kind of tough because of the Robbie and John thing. I think they will split each other’s votes. Although I don’t see the appeal in Johnny, I think the first live show will show if Australia really likes him.

Agree on Isaac and Frank on team Joel. Taila might be a curve ball. Depends if people get behind her. I think she’d be more popular in her style on the US version.

Team Ricky……. I am not sure about Elly. She is no Dami Im to me. I think that Jackson may get through to his top 2 though. His style of music is more popular here at the moment. I could be wrong, but I tend to find that the big female voices can be early casualties as people don’t ‘connect’ with them as much. I think that is what Ricky is hoping to achieve with Elly. But again, I don’t find her as good as Dami was on X Factor.

29 Meep { 06.17.14 at 2:25 pm }

Eliza –

You really think Will is going to choose G&C over ZK (if the public votes Mat in)? It always seemed like he was more into ZK, but I hope you’re right. I like G&C better due to being a bit different each time they sing. ZK has only done ballads, and has me wondering if that’s all they’re capable of doing.

I guess I could see Robbie and John splitting the votes, though they’re quite a bit different. I like Johnny because he has such a clear and smooth voice, without overdoing the diction. I just re-watched his performances, and he’s one of the few contestants that I can actually understand what he’s singing, while still adding a bit of roughness in, every once in a while. It doesn’t hurt that he’s nice to look at too.

I don’t know if Taila would hack it in the U.S., the home of way too many country singers. By your statement, I’m guessing that Country is not very popular in Australia? Or, at least not as popular as it is here?

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that I think Elly lost a lot of shiny-ness with her performance in the Showdowns. With the strong performances by Sabrina and Fely, I wonder how many people are thinking the same thing as you and I – is she a one-song wonder? I guess we’ll have to see in the Lives.

Given that I’m viewing the episodes with “American tastes,” which contestant for each team do you think the public will vote for? And which contestant will each coach choose?

As for will.i.am, after having watched him for 3 seasons on the UK version of The Voice, he’s been really, really tame on the Australian version. I wonder if they asked him to tone it down, or if he’s burnt out on being a coach.

If you want to see classic “weird” Will, watch this video. His push to get the contestant starts at around 5:17, and gets into some weird metaphors. If you want to watch the contestant without the whole back-story, it starts at 1:55. (fyi – The audio is slightly out of sync to the video.)

This contestant, Leah McFall, was Will’s finalist on UK season 2, and there was a lot of controversy over her coming in as a runner-up. If you watch the whole blind audition, you’ll see Will just sitting there, barely moving. I’d never seen him so still before – I knew right then that he was really into her style of singing, and was going to push hard for her. He waited until the last minute, so one of the other coaches (Danny O’Donahue) wouldn’t pull his “Oh, Will is going, so I’m going to go too” crap (he did it the entire blind auditions).

Actually, Leah’s the only contestant I’ve ever really gotten excited over in any of the competitions I’ve watched, due to her uniqueness. I can’t wait for her album to drop at the end of July. I think it’s going to be available in the U.S., at least I hope so.

If you like uniqueness, watch all her videos, especially “I Will Survive” (she turns a classic 70s pop song into a compelling ballad) and her duet with Will (they did a fun version of “Bang Bang”, and Will even dances! Or tries to, at least. LOL).

30 Eliza { 06.19.14 at 5:40 pm }

Thanks for the link, Meep. You’re right about The Script guy.. he seems inept at making a decision for himself and was so upset at will.i.am doing the ‘sneaky’ on him.. well, if you want her, turn for yourself. I like his duck metaphor.

I am not sure who the viewers will vote in on team will. Mat seems an obvious choice. If they do, hmm.. I am not 100% about something about G&C makes me think it will be them. After listening to their original songs I am a converted fan (when neither sing high).

I agree, there would be more competition of Taila in the US. As to whether country is popular here, it’s not very mainstream and I wouldn’t choose to listen to it. For the most part, we get as country as Taylor Swift. We like to hang onto Keith Urban because he has been successful, not because we hear his music a lot on the radio.

I have never been that into Elly since the start for some reason. I will get back to you after the first round of the live shows as to my predictions for the public vote and coach choice. I think in one of the more recent threads I put who I think/would like to see.