Masterchef Australia – Tash Gone And Claims She Was Isolated In The Masterchef House

Gordon Ramsay risotto

The elimination challenge was all about risotto but carb averse Kira decided to show herself on a plate and make a quinoa risotto. She also put in the other buzz food kale. At one stage she thought she  was in trouble because she used stock rather then just steaming the quinoa. Well if she had steamed it, it would not be risotto but a quinoa salad. Her gamble paid off and her Pumpkin and Kale Risotto was named dish of the day.

As she was being judged she revealed the recipe would be in her cook book. So another Paleo cookbook will be hitting the market, however I doubt Pete Evans is worried and he will be happy he has another member of his cult.

At the other end of the spectrum Tash was struggling. She put her risotto rice on too early and then she doused it in wine. Even though her rice was the best cooked the flavours of Mint and Asparagus risotto were not. The asparagus was brown. She was eliminated just ahead of Brent who had made a Hazelnut and Mushroom Risotto which did not have enough salt in it.

Emelia was in tears when she thought her best buddy Brent was going and note there was none for Tash. Tash has now come out and said she was isolated in the house in a News Limited interview.  It is no surprise to the casual observer that she was ostracised in the house as we could see bits of that on screen. Tash stops short at calling it racism but I suspect there was an element of covert racism there. This year the house is not as multi cultural as it has previously been and it is unusual that it is going to be an all white top ten.

Laura ended up playing her immunity pin and was not happy when she saw the after the knife pull that the contestants had to make risotto as she said she made it once a week. I am sure everyone else was relieved. Now about the knife pull, how random is it? Sure Matt pulled out two knives saying eclairs and souffle, but did the rest only have risotto on them. This was the same theory Reality Ravings readers had last year in a similar challenge.

The other dishes made was Dill Risotto with Prawns by Colin, where the rice was too al dente and Emelia made Fennel and Prawn Risotto. Before the judges tasted her dish was in tears and showed some insight into the way she was coming across on screen saying “I put on a really cocky and arrogant front but it is because I am really sensitive.” She also said “I have never had to question myself”. This was the cue for Marco to do the humble brag saying  how questioning himself made him a three Michelin cook.

Tash is serious about her food dream and doing work experience at Ezard and plans to do an online video series.

What did you think of the episode? Is Quinoa actually risotto? Who do you think should have gone home?

1 hawkeye { 06.26.14 at 8:59 am }

Some of the comments from Eliza, Daisy and a few others show a lack of understanding about racism or acknowledgement of the same. Poo Poo-ing an allegation of racism by bringing up examples (in this thread and in others) of past contestants being culturally diverse or the love shown to and Indian chef (VK) doesn’t exactly prove your point in this case.

It’s also a bit laughable when some of you bring up the argument that you feel undue focus is placed on white people being racist. After a few centuries of the shoe being on the other foot, I’m sorry to say that the argument in the previous statement is invalid. Yes, non-caucasian cultures are prejudiced too, but after a few centuries of racism against non-whites it is a little insensitive to be suggesting that whites are getting unduly vilified. I notice that none of you have replied to post #171/nibehlung.
Please, get some perspective. “The whites are facing racism from non-whites” argument is eyewash at best. Be brave enough to do something about it.

I think the allegation is a symptom of how Tash was treated by the other contestants and judges. There was no out of the way praise or recognition afforded to her like it has been with some of the other contestants. (e.g: the highly questionable title of “Dessert Queen” handed to Emelia. / nice meme right up top RR haha – again, the judges went out of their way to keep Kira from getting axed).

2 brain dead dave { 06.26.14 at 9:54 am }

Not one person here said whites are being unduly vilified. Be brave enough not to play the race card, thanks.

3 daisy { 06.26.14 at 10:18 am }

Hawkeye, very broadminded of you to call a different perspectivesa lack of understanding.
Maybe you lack understanding for not seeing the views of others.

Of course we can only comment from our own perspective but don’t be so quick to assume a lack of understanding.
BTW, I am multiracial, and at home amongst most ethicicities.

4 daisy { 06.26.14 at 10:40 am }

Strictly speaking, I would call myself racist because I have travelled alot and am a people watcher, and have observed trends and traits amongst, not ethnic groups so much, but people living in different geographies. For instance Singaporean Chinese are generally quite different from Mainland Chinese. I’m anti hatist, and anti superioriority attitudes….and that includes not only towards other races but when people come on here and put down the views and opinions of others just because they fail to see their point of view.
A little respect Hawkeye. If Tash deserves it, why don’t others.

5 the world according to hawkeye { 06.26.14 at 10:48 am }

everyone’s entitled to their own opinion;
even if they are wrong…

6 hawkeye { 06.26.14 at 11:32 am }

#203 – Dear Dave, as opposed to doing a search for those exact words maybe read into some of the text a little closer. What exactly does this quote mean if not flippant treatment of an allegation of racism –
“Racism? So sick of that card being pulled out when it is a non-white person who is ‘hard done by’.”
If you read my previous post you’ll see I mentioned that no one (of the poo poo-ers) took the time to respond to #171 or acknowledge some of the ad hoc fallacy type replies that are predictable when racism comes into dialogue. Some of the prejudice exhibited on MCA in this particular case towards Tash does indicate unfair treatment, and by definition racial prejudice is…(no points for guessing what).
How about calling a spade a spade and not accepting some of the treatment towards Tash on the show as being “okay”. Some of the earlier comments pointed at Deepali (#17-Tinkler) and Steven being tolerated or something along those lines, so it surely couldn’t have been racism. Here’s me calling the spade, they were both not very good cooks and not a threat to anyone.
Tash however exhibited better skill than most of her peers, but did you see any of the other top contenders getting the same sort of treatment?
So why exactly are you going out of your way to justify some of the behaviour by the other contestants?

Thanks Daisy, you proved my point entirely by attempting to turn around my comment by claiming that I lack understanding. Maybe I do, but that doesn’t justify you and a few others showing utter disregard for racism or playing it down. Let’s not be naive, please.
Sorry, the last line in your comment doesn’t really do much in the way for your credibility considering some of your other posts (Sunday episode thread). You being multiracial isn’t the same as defending / justifying racist behaviour or disregarding it as nothing.

Some of the backslapping going in here to convince yourselves that it isn’t racism is a tad bit annoying.

7 brain dead dave { 06.26.14 at 11:42 am }

I read #171 but am not going to give much shrift to dog whistling or folks that would run into a movie theatre and shout “Fire!” when there is proof of none.

8 daisy { 06.26.14 at 11:56 am }

Hey Hawkeye. On post op and feeling groovy so I can only say…
Rasberries to you. 😆

To veryone else…heeeeeyy! :). :)

9 I'mNotTash { 06.29.14 at 10:48 pm }

But if I was Tash, I’d say thanks a lot for the support, for having ace bullshit detectors and for asking the right questions :)

10 Sharra { 08.21.14 at 3:23 pm }

I know I’m coming late to the the party, but as someone who knows Tash in person from school, I can say that what you see on TV isn’t what’s reality. She is not introverted or quiet at all in real life. In fact, she talks a lot, and can sometimes be difficult to work with in a group setting because she comes across as a know-it-all. However, she IS very intelligent and even back in school, was always top in the class. Perhaps this is the reason why the other contestants tended not to like her. After all, nobody likes a know-it-all who doesn’t work well in teams.

11 Marcia { 09.11.14 at 3:08 pm }

I honestly felt like Masterchef doesn’t encourage or promote people of colour on the show. Tash was exceptional and I too noticed how during pressure tests, no one gave her any support. I’m watching Junior Master Chef Australia and it is 95% Caucasians. This is disheartening as Australia has become a pretty diverse place.

12 google plus app for blackberry { 09.26.14 at 1:40 pm }

Wonderful blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers?
I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
Would you recommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a
paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally confused ..
Any recommendations? Thanks!