Guest Post: House Rules – Judgement Day

Annajjj gives her take on the first of the garden makeovers:

It’s reveal day or, as Voice Over likes to call it, Judgement Day. Ryan tells us one of the teams is going home this week and either he’s got that wrong or this season is really going to be dragged out.

With only 9 hours to go Carole is still changing her mind every hour or so and bossing Gapper around incessantly. Madllo are out buying more sushi for the local ospreys and Adam is assembling the weird looking stone feature. Ryan has given up on building Gapper’s man-cave which is a shame because if anyone deserves a man-cave it’s poor Gapper.

Madllo’s entrance deck has disco strip lights and black plastic tubs of goldfish and they’ve definitely met the owners’ brief but not in a good way. Meanwhile Carole decides to steal some of Madllo’s pebbles for her own area and why wouldn’t you just ask for some? She eventually gives back one bag looking a bit sheepish and really there should be a penalty for this type of behaviour.

Finally the horn blows and it’s all over. Great effort everyone.

We get a long recap of the past 1.5 episodes then finally the judges land in NSW after paying an extra weight charge for Wendy’s dentures. Hipster Joe and Wendy initially like the exterior changes at Ryandy’s house but think the grey bagging is too light and patchy. ‘The stepping stones make you prance’, Joe demonstrates, just a bit too eagerly. The entry is unfinished and the fishpond buckets are lame.

Into the back where the missing roof has left the deck exposed. The courtyard is also exposed and the massive fire-pit makes the seating look too small. Over to the weird wood sculpture and it does look a bit like a grave.

Over to WA next and it’s a huge improvement. The rock walls look great and Wendy likes the stone sculpture. The water feature looks lonely, although I’m sure it’s not, and the deck is fantastic. In the backyard the timber frames look good but the water feature face isn’t finished and is bizarrely situated next to the water tank. Grandpa’s chair is in a nice shady area overlooking the hills.

Teams arrive at HomeBase and Joh is sticking with the flick. She reminds teams of the prize: Entire mortgage. Paid off. For good. That bit. Really isn’t. Necessary Joh.

We watch Ryandy arrive home on the monitor and they love the transformation. They like the ‘modern’ hotel-like LEDs and the sandstone and are delighted with the tubs of fish. Out to the back and they are very happy to have lost their roof and are stoked with the massive BBQ. Neither of them like Carole’s awful sculpture with Candy visibly shuddering as she describes it as a burial ground. Carole is stunned by their lack of good taste.

Next up we watch the Cappers arrive home. Carole is quiet until Gapper starts filling in the gaps and then she quickly recovers the power of speech to declare the front zone ‘insane’. The Cappers also love the backyard with lots of lawn and the massive Balinese statues.

Then Joe and Wendy arrive at HomeBase to deliver their verdicts:
Madllo – 6&5
Cappers – 6&8
Ryandy – 6&7
Lisadz – 8&9 and well done. That was a terrific effort.

Jo confirms that one team is going home after the next garden challenge. So if there is presumably a final with just two teams then there must be another elimination challenge. Any thoughts on what that could be?

1 Smythe { 06.23.14 at 9:29 am }

Don’t get why they are not letting the homeowners score the gardens for their homes. The judges aren’t going to be living there.

I do think that Lisa and Adam did the best job of everyone. The grey exterior on Ryan’s and Candy’s place was shoddy. Either the fire pit or bbq area should have had some kind of covering. As for the fish, the ponds should have been located elsewhere, IMO. The lights didn’t look that bad just a little bit cheap but R & C liked them. I did not like Carole’s artwork and agree that it looked like a grave. If that were my backyard that would be the first thing to go.

After the second garden elimination, I think the next elimination challenge may be the secret room.

2 tassieliz { 06.23.14 at 9:56 am }

I think Carol & Russ were screwed in the scoring – only one more than Candy & Ryan. I understand there was lack of shade but surely overall a much better job and concept than Candy & Ryan.

3 Smythe { 06.23.14 at 11:11 am }

Don’t even care anymore after reading the Woman’s Day article that most of the couples have additional properties. Only couple w/ one home: Grant and Brooke. The others own more real estate than their reno-ed houses and the show is a bunch of BS. They are probably going to sell the reno-ed house for a profit or maybe keep that house and sell their other homes. Whatever the case may be it’s a bunch of crap. They shouldn’t have been chosen for the programs. Contestants should be those who actually need the $$ to pay off their mortgages and really have homes in desperate need of renovation that are actually their residences.

4 cuisinaire { 06.23.14 at 11:18 am }

With at least ten days per month recording rainfall in Sydney, you would want some cover for outdoor entertaining. (The wettest months appear to be those over the Summer.) A brief comment regards lack of shade. Not much in the way of penalty for the lack of thought since the judges spent too much time drooling over the cutesy tiles near the exposed bbq. And where do you store all the fabric cushions on damp days (Sydney average 144 per year).

I can’t tell how much work actually gets done by the contestants. Perhaps included in the judging should be an assessment of actual work done by contestants. Sure the deck looked ok with its new furniture and fire pit but not much useful work was actually done in the backyard bar clearing it and it was only flat and overgrown unlike the WA property. Did Russell build the deck alone or with tradies?

@ 3
+1 to B & G

5 Shellbot { 06.23.14 at 11:32 am }

I think the homeowners were not allowed to score because it is too obvious who they are giving the scores to (50:50) so everyone will just score low (or Carole would have) so better not to have them score at all.

6 all happening { 06.23.14 at 11:35 am }

Last year they had a third judge with landscape design background I think for this part of the judging.
The judges said on sunrise this morning that all have equal amounts of work. That is bull when you look at the slope in the WA house, against the flat suburban plot in NSW.
I am a bit like Smyth re losing interest due to Woman’s Day story.

7 Agent 86 { 06.23.14 at 11:58 am }

I agree with Smythe.

I’ve lost all interest now that I know all of the remaining properties are just investment properties that the owners are looking to quickly flip for a profit thanks to their appearance on House Rules and the free renovations.

I’d like to know how much the teams get to spend on the house and garden renovations. A recent article suggested that the budget on The Block was $100,000 per team. If these teams have received $100,000 work of free renovations for their investment properties, then it really defies the entire promoted “purpose” of this show.

8 brain dead dave { 06.23.14 at 12:04 pm }

Those fish are doomed , like the Surlys in Big Brother.

9 PollyB { 06.23.14 at 12:49 pm }

Pet Sematary anyone?

10 Tragic { 06.23.14 at 1:46 pm }

Awesome recap!

Adam & Lisa did a fabulous job on C&R’s house, although surely not alone in that time frame?

Ryan and Candy’s house front looked like a disaster. The fence? The lights? The pond? ugh.
The back wasn’t too bad but I would have cried having no roof out there for shade/rain.
I think Ryan will make more money out of his house if it just magically burns down. I will never get over their laundry. DISASTER!

11 Eliza { 06.23.14 at 2:49 pm }

I agree, tassieliz.. it is certainly not the first time Carole and Russ’s scores have been a bit “what the..?”.

I am agreeing with the sentiment shared by most that the interest in this show is gone now.. I will still watch to the end and still read your re-caps annajjj, but will do so while shaking my fist in disgust.. sighh.

Few thoughts:
– I need an Adam.
– The posts in the air creatively directed by Carole weren’t great and poorly located making them look worse.. yes, like someone or something was buried.. right.. there.
– Aesthetically the old pergola needed to go. This show isn’t based on practicality so too bad Ryan, you can build some new pergolas in ‘your house’.
– Maddi and Lloyd need to go next. I sound like a broken record but they have not improved.
– Candy more and more thinks that Ryan is gross… ewwww.

12 Fijane { 06.24.14 at 4:04 pm }

Removing the patio roof would devalue the house. If they had to do that, it would have been dead simple to have a shade sail installed (already three anchor points on the house) and at least there would be shade, if not rain protection.
Also losing interest a bit now, I think mainly because it is now too easy for the scoring to be manipulated. Blind scoring by the judges would make a huge difference.
If Maddi and Lloyd go, then there will only be Adam left to care about, and I can’t stand watching him being manipulated by the princess,so I expect I will be switching over to Masterchef to actually watch, and just skim through HR recording.

13 Gabby { 06.24.14 at 5:34 pm }

I agree with you Shellbot @5 about the scoring, especially about Carole, even though she loved her Balinese style gardens she probably would have given them 4’s. After all that is how she scored last time for the rooms she ‘loved’.
I hope she doesn’t win.

14 all happening { 06.24.14 at 5:46 pm }

I was just reading M&L’s fb page and they said (if it really is them) that Carole asked about taking some pebbles twice and when they said not at the moment, she took them any way.
Got the impression she really is a piece of work.

15 kes { 06.25.14 at 10:27 pm }

I can’t find a more updated post but the shite is literally hitting the fan with the disclosure of other properties own by the contestants and zooming in on carole & Russell. Puppet head Joanna for seven network says it’s all bullshit but there is substantial evidence that that is not true.I have watched and felt passionate about this show from the start, but now with all of this coming out, I couldn’t give a toss who losses and who wins. We the public have been deceived about them coming off as only having one home and acting like they need the help to get somewhere in life. I don’t remember these lies on last years show and frankly, shame on you 7 Network! For gods sake, there must be so many other couples looking for a hand instead you put 5 out of 6 couples that own or have an interest in other properties, did you think we were stupid and would never find out? Due to Carole’s bossy and loud nature, people will dig up stuff, its the aussie way. Shame on all of you, you just turned a great show into a load of shite!