House Rules – Who The Hell Is Carole In A Relationship With And Other House Rules Gossip

House Rules couple Carole and Russell have been drawn into a scandal where it was revealed they and other teams have other houses but have they also been lying about their relationship?

It was thought Mel and Bomber had the shortest relationship, but it has been suggested that Carole was with Russell then with David and then back with Russell.

An eagle eyed reader Bronwyn kindly sent this link from a building website where Carole and David have a testimonial up. To be fair there is no date on the testimonial but does give weight to a commenter on this site who said that Russell and Carole were only recently back together.

As can be seen here “Well I Never”:

Carole did go back and forth between Russell and David Raif for a few years. In fact she and Russ divorced about 3 years ago, not sure if they remarried. David left her because she couldn’t make up her mind which man to be with – she treated both of them very badly. I think Russ became the default setting when she was left alone.

She is a licensed real estate agent, the property they (David and her) had in Doubleview was a plot of land which has been sold. They (Russ and her) purchased the place in Mandurah about 18 months ago and never intended to live there.

Carole and Russell have also been trying to sell their waterfront property in Perth for over $1.17 million it has been on the market for quite some time so maybe they have overpriced it so it can’t sell. Hopefully with all the publicity they are getting around it they might get some interested buyers. They also own another apartment.

The question is when did Russell and Carole get back together?

A reader on twitter pointed out to me that on a recent podcast on Kyle and Jackie O Russell and Carole could not name their wedding date!

You have to wonder if the pair were full and frank on their application form and if not should there be some penalty as it could affect the integrity of the show. Considering reality tv contracts are so onerous maybe they need to threaten to sue if application forms are found to be false. However the ratings are good for the renovation series so doubt SEVEN could say these salcious revelations are being financially detrimental to the Network.

In other House Rules news both Adam and Lisa and Maddi and Lloyd deny they have other houses. Maddi and Lloyd told PopSugar that they did not have another house but did have an apartment in Brisbane they have been trying to sell.

Adam and Lisa also deny according to news.com.au they posted on their Facebook page:

“Well done to the rivalry station publication who has fabricated such lies. Not sure how you can get away with such rubbish.

“Once you have finished defaming – Can you please tell me where I can get the keys to my ‘other home’ and where we have been living for the past two years?!”

They may have now deleted it as I can’t find it on Facebook.

1 Cynic Male { 06.26.14 at 1:44 pm }

Here is a link to the night the WA girls found out that they lost.
So there were a couple then

2 Andrea { 06.26.14 at 1:56 pm }

Its just the lying that gets viewers annoyed.
They don’t even have to be a couple really, last year there were the two brothers ( or were they friends, I can’t remember ), so they could apply as friends and not lie about it.
On MKR there were mother/daughter, father/son, friends, sisters etc so I presume the same would apply to HR.
The producers should look at the application rules again and just be honest with the viewers.
Carol and Russell don’t deserve to win.

3 annajjj { 06.26.14 at 1:58 pm }

Andrea I completely agree. I don’t care how many houses they own, who is married, who has had botox etc – it’s the lying and the deception that grates. Try a little honesty!

4 all happening { 06.26.14 at 2:02 pm }

The filming/promo of the 2 shows would have overlapped in WA especially #1. HR was being made in Nov/December I believe, so they would have been together then.

5 Gabby { 06.26.14 at 4:06 pm }

I don’t think Channel 7 will ever admit to anything.
Every time a new series comes on, the viewers end up getting hoodwinked. Is it the channels fault or the contestants fault?
As we get closer and closer to the end Carole is really showing her true side, me, me, me.
I wouldn’t believe a word that came out of her mouth.

6 Shellbot { 06.26.14 at 4:08 pm }

I read that Adam’s second house was bought with his dad and then he sold his share to buy a house with Lisa…

7 Eliza { 06.26.14 at 5:46 pm }

I made this comment in the early hours on the other thread so will re-post in case it got lost. I thought it was interesting.

I went to school with a guy who is in real estate. He has posted on Facebook that CH7 have contacted him looking for couples in Western Sydney for next season of the show. Another agent has said that they contacted him last year. Just proves what we already know about people buying just before the show/buying for the show. If they lie about the ‘rule’ of couples living in the houses for at least two years, what is to say they don’t lie about everything else. The evidence is pretty stacked up against them. Just tell the truth!

8 Gabby { 06.26.14 at 8:12 pm }

Thanks for that info Eliza. I don’t mind that fact if they bought the house just for the show, I will let them get away with that one. The only thing that irks me is if they own more than one property. To me that is a no go.
Shellbot if your news is true that is fair enough and I don’t see anything wrong with what Adam has done.

9 Jaycee47 { 06.26.14 at 9:37 pm }

Andrea…totally agree re the lying! I just couldn’t bring myself to watch last night cos Carole just pisses me off so much……I am doing this for my family….blah blah blah……will be great to get my mortgage paid off…..she comes across as a con woman to me….so many men…so many properties!! Just where is the truth….somewhere in there but what do we believe.

Just make it a show for those who really deserve it….not professional renovators! Channel 7 you are faking it! I actually called them to complain …..suggest everyone else does if they want to vent!

10 Eliza { 06.27.14 at 12:05 am }

Gabby, I wouldn’t mind either if they bought for the show, I just mind that they were constantly insinuating that they had been living in those houses like that, when they weren’t. We all seem to have this 2 year thing in our heads so it must have come from somewhere? Anyway, so much going on with this show!

Good one, Jaycee47!

11 EmTee { 06.27.14 at 2:12 am }

Just looked up the entry requirements. Here’s what’s relevant to the conversation:
* Applicants must have a pre-existing relationship, i.e. partners, relatives, friends etc.
* Must be a permanent Australian resident (of at least 2 years standing).
* Dwelling must be PRIMARY residence.

So basically the applicants just have to be already acquainted and it isn’t stipulated that they actually have to have lived in the house for 2 years.

The “primary residence” rule is the one that seems to be bent the most. It should be easy to prove who the scammers are and if the winners haven’t officially lived in the house prior to the comp they shouldn’t be entitled to the money.

12 Smythe { 06.27.14 at 8:18 am }

Should be primary residence but also that they have actually lived there for a set period of time and not just purchased it, claimed it as a primary residence and then moved in furniture right before filming.

13 Cynic Male { 06.27.14 at 8:37 am }

Channel 7 is starting to accumulate a bit of a track record now.
Their insist need to micro-manage every aspect of their shows to maximize drama/hype/excitement is fast becoming tiresome.

14 Carol (without the e) { 06.27.14 at 11:21 am }

If the story about Adam and his dad is true… then why wouldn’t he admit to it instead of firing up like he did. As long as the timing according to the TV contract is right… then it’s all good.

I wouldn’t mind betting that as soon as there was a sniff of dishonesty, the producers rallied all the contestants and told them what to say “lies, slander, gossip etc”.

Reminds me of that Mike Willesee interview with Clive Palmer’s people. He forgets he’s miked and is in the background telling them all what to say.

If it looks like shit, smells like shit… then there’s a high probability that it is, in fact, shit.

15 Carol (without the e) { 06.27.14 at 11:22 am }

Oh and when Carole said “make my yard kid friendly”… that was probably because it’s going to be her kids and their kids living there!!

16 Cynic Male { 06.27.14 at 1:06 pm }

The Mike Willesee vs Clive Palmer “interview” is another example of Ch7 creating drama. So he went to America for a week and didn’t get to interview Clive so they decided to ridicule the greenhorn MP’s on national because he didn’t get his exclusive Clive Palmer interview.
But was happy waiting around in Bali for 2 or 3 weeks for an interview that never happened. Did the resulting interviews and resulting program ridicule the family …. no. Hence the reason I’m getting sick of Ch7’s direction.

Please Ch7 don’t go down the path that America has gone in over dramatising and creating unbelievable situations in reality programs. The Australian viewing public is so much smarter than that. (Rant over)

17 Fijane { 06.27.14 at 1:14 pm }

I liked someone else’s suggestion (sorry, can’t remember which forum) of the houses being purchased by the show (openly), allocated to the team from that state, and the winner gets the house, and Ch 7 get to sell the non-winning houses to recoup their money. No more back room deals of houses being bought for the show and pretending the contestants have lived there.

18 Twinkle { 06.27.14 at 1:16 pm }

Yikes – if I was David or Russell I’d be looking for a new partner. Carole is a hideous old bag who thinks it’s acceptable to speak to Russell like shite and treat him like crap … then make up for it by telling the camera how much she loves him. He could do WAY better, I’m sure!

I wouldn’t care what properties they owned, or what their relationship status was, if the storyline wasn’t focused on these things. But that’s the thing – we’ve been LED to believe that the contestants deserve to win because they’re struggling, blah blah blah, and this latest revelation just shows Carole for what she is … the way she talks, you’d be forgiven for thinking they’d been married for decades.

But then I do recall someone’s comment about how Carole was seeing the commenter’s uncle in 2009 (I think?) – something to that extent.

Ugh … they’re all awful … possibly the only ones that have come out looking okay are Lisa and Adam at this point. The rumour about them not living at their reno’d house was denied by their neighbour on Facebook, who said she has seen them there all the time over the past couple of years.

Why can’t Seven just be honest and say the show is renovation challenge … winner gets their mortgage paid off in full. End of story. None of this other nonsense (sob stories, hard luck stories, etc.).

Phew! Exhausting!

I can’t wait to see what Brain Dead Dave says about this.

19 Gabby { 06.27.14 at 1:57 pm }

Carole without, loved what you had to say, right down to that useless Clive Palmer who happens to be our member, I am so sorry to say.
Eliza I get where you are coming from and totally agree, I was just going for the lesser of two evils.
How long have they owned the home or how many properties do they own?
How long do you think Mel and Bomber were living in that rat hole they called home? Goodness they hadn’t even known each other very long let alone lived together for any real length of time.

20 Carol (without the e) { 06.27.14 at 3:01 pm }

From the official website… it says “He (Russell) met Carole, who works for the local council, at a party in 2001. The following year they married and blended their families who have since left home.”

Seems there’s a big gap in the last 13 years – as well as a divorce (?) and another man…

I’m sure Kyle & Jackie O would have been happy with the first marriage date. Maybe Carole’s reticence comes from being married twice since then… or not being married at all now.

This shit storm should be a reminder to ANYONE that goes onto any reality shows from this day forward.

Tell the truth… 100% of it… or you are fresh meat!!!

21 Cynic Male { 06.27.14 at 3:20 pm }

That idea where the network buys houses and the winner gets to win the house for free was done in New Zealand about 10 or 12 yrs ago I think.
If my memory serves me correctly it was called Mitre 10 Dream homes or something like that. It was definitely Mitre 10 though.
So I don’t think that Ch7 would go with that because of the royalties associated with the concept.

22 moviesniper { 06.27.14 at 4:02 pm }

Actually there was a concept called Dream House (?) aired by Nine in the early 2000s. This was before The Block. Couples reno’d the homes and then put them up for auction…winning team got to keep the house.

23 moviesniper { 06.27.14 at 4:04 pm }

I would also imagine if the show was branded Mitre 10, the program was probably branded content – ie, the show was created and paid for by Mitre 10. Branded content is quite common.

24 Twinkle { 06.27.14 at 4:16 pm }

Cynic Male is correct – ‘Mitre 10 Dream Home’ first aired in 1999 and took the Aussie copycats to court for stealing their idea.

… We did it first, but you typical Aussies steal all our ideas and best people. You can keep Russell Crowe but don’t go claiming Kimbra as yours 😉

Here’s the Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitre_10_Dream_Home

It’s been canned now though. Because the dickheads at TVNZ decided to make a local version of MKR instead … and there wasn’t enough money to do both.

25 Twinkle { 06.27.14 at 4:48 pm }

Apparently the contestants have been told to delete their Facebook accounts now that we’re heading into semi-finals. I don’t know if that’s true or not … I read it on Facebook so it should be taken with a grain of salt :-/

26 Carol (without the e) { 06.27.14 at 5:44 pm }

Look at that!! A huge post just disappeared from here. One by “My two Cents” – referring to Facebook and the whole homeowner/bludger/battler subject.

I’m purposely avoiding the Facebook page. So I speak without first hand experience when I say that there would be a lot of uneducated and inexperienced opinions being shared and most likely in capitals etc. People who share an opinion on here do so in a respectful way and disagree respectfully as well. I can almost bet 100% that’s not how it is over there. People who know everything about nothing and others that make shit up… all talking in circles… drowning out the ones that do have something of value.

Am I wrong?

27 brain dead dave { 06.27.14 at 6:12 pm }

I’m seeing some comments appear and disappear in the recent comments column and various threads this afternoon , Carol(without the e).

28 Chelecee { 06.27.14 at 8:29 pm }

Carole & Russell’s property in Boya is listed on realestate.com.au as sold in Sept 2013, hence why they could not have lived there for years. Adam & Lisa’s Bulleen property sold in Feb 2012 for $620.000 , also listed in the White Pages as A&D Dovile. This is supposedly the property Adam purchased with his Dad. Explains why at the garden reveal Lisa said on seeing the pizza oven your Dad is going to love this and Adam said he won’t believe he has a pizza oven in his backyard. Ryan’s Emu Plains property sold in Aug 2013 for $400.000 Candy & Ryan were no longer a couple but just got back together for the show, hence why the property is only in Ryan’s name. Mel & Bomber’s Peterhead property sold in Jun 2013 for $331,160, which after meeting over the internet & then meeting up at a pub they immediately started looking for a property to buy.

29 PollyB { 06.28.14 at 8:55 am }

Thanks Chelecee. I was questioning why Lisa would want a cottage garden. It is not her style. Producers have come up with the decorative/design concepts for all except B&G cos they are the only ones actually living in their ‘home’. All orchestrated BS. Once again reality TV production treating the viewers as imbeciles. And so it goes, year after year, continual high ratings, the advertisers come back, same shite next year.

30 Who said that { 06.28.14 at 10:21 am }

Carole is not working at a council anymore. Russell never worked at Qantas – he’s a public servant. It was David – who left Carole and has since married (good luck to you mate), who works at Qantas.

31 Well I Never { 06.28.14 at 12:26 pm }

Russell does not work at Qantas, he is a public servant. It was David – Carole’s ex who works there. In fact that’s where David and Carole met. David has now married (good luck to you mate) and Carole no longer works at the Council.

32 Fiona { 06.28.14 at 4:17 pm }

@Carol (without the e) #26
No you are not wrong Facebook fan pages for TV shows are really horrible to read and I know that sarcasm is hard to convey in a post on the internet, but some people just over react big time. Reality Ravings is a much better place to lurk or contribute to.

33 daisy { 06.29.14 at 11:32 am }

I was just watching an ad for a Shark hand Vacuum cleaner. It promises to reach under fridges etc.

Has anyone bought one or can anyone recommend a lightweight hand vac for lounges etc. I already have a Roomba and it is great but obviously needs a companion for furniture, walls, ceilings etc.

I have a normal vac but I am over using something that strains my back and hardly ever use it now with Roomba.

34 Twinkle { 06.29.14 at 1:10 pm }

@Daisy – I have the Shark vacuum cleaners – generation 1, 2, and 3! LOL … I do love my vacuuming. I bought the first one because it promised a lot – and was brilliant! I still have it as a back-up. Then I bought the second generation one because it came with a free steam mop – which is incredible too. But then I had to buy the third one because it offered that attachment you’ve mentioned (and didn’t come with the earlier generations, nor could you buy it separately) – it’s especially handy in the car. To that end, it’s not a hand vacuum cleaner as such; it’s just that the cannister bit you need to operate that tool can detach from the main part of the cleaner quite easily.

The shark vacuums are amazing … the only problem we ever had was when our first generation one sucked up a piece of waxed dental floss, which managed to get melted in the foot part and cause everything within it to jam. It couldn’t be fixed, but the TV Shop sold me a replacement foot for $40 (super-cheap when you consider how much machinery is in it).

35 daisy { 06.29.14 at 1:26 pm }

Thanks so much Twinkle.
We are heading out now to Harvey Norman or the Good Guys.

I don’t love vacuuming but I like a clean house and want something light.
If you haven’t a Roomba let me tell you, they are wonderful. We bought a good one. It exceeded my expectations because it does carpet really well and it goes under beds so I don’t have to move them.

Next: I am clinging to my 17 yr old Honda Civic hatch because it is still going strong but hubby is hassling me to get a car that I might outlive.
I want 4 door, hatch, good bod, reliable, comfy seats, nice apholstery, good drive and accessible parts.

Any suggestions? Mind you, I think my Civic might outlive me. 😉 I am scared the new ones won’t be as well built. Also I need an IT course to drive the new cars. Bloody home entertainment centres they are.

36 Twinkle { 06.29.14 at 9:54 pm }

Daisy, I don’t think you can go past the humble Toyota Corolla … I have a 2008 model, no GPS or extras (aside from electric windows) and it is a gem. It’s a ‘signature class’ so came re-upholstered and re-carpeted (do you have ‘signature class’ in Oz? I’m in NZ … if not, it means that Toyota bought the car back from a dealership or rental car company with low(ish) kms and an impeccable service history, then revamped it before selling it off again … it comes with a bit of a guarantee that nothing major will go wrong with it for three years) … it even had that new car smell when I picked it up in 2010. It costs bugger all to service, and to fill the tank costs around $80, and that gives me about 1,000 kms.

37 LKK { 06.29.14 at 11:00 pm }

Daisy – love the roomba recommendation. I have a very bad back but also the conundrum of 3 furry animals in and out of the house all the time and an unfortunate obsession with clean floors. I have removed all the carpet to make it easier but it’s still a tough effort vacuuming and mopping even just once a week. Maybe roomba is the solution!
I cannot recommend Toyota yaris highly enough not sure if it’s too small though. I bought mine brand new 2006 and still going strong never had anything go wrong and a pleasure to drive. Have done a few long distance (800km one way) trips with ease. Cheap and easy to service and parts aplenty being such a popular model. Would definitely buy a new one but will keep this going for quite a few years yet as I have no reason not to! Totally love the digital speedo too – the giant numbers are great 😉
Good luck car hunting!

38 Jess { 06.29.14 at 11:13 pm }

Confusion reigns
I thought the purpose of this site was to discuss TV programs, (not advertised electrical equipment and motor vehicles!) and in particular House Rules as this is the column to do so.
VERY disappointed.

39 Eliza { 06.30.14 at 1:34 am }

You guys have been told. Bad influence, Daisy.. haha.. I am going to weigh in!

Daisy, Roomba sounds great.. can it also move the crap that is on the floor as well so it can vacuum under that, too? Oh, that would be ideal! Now that’s what I hate about vacuuiming. I have heard that the Shark brand is pretty good.

Onto cars, +1 for Toyota. I got a Yaris brand new in 2009 and like LKK have been really happy with it. The boot is tiny, but you can put the seats down if it’s just one or two people but I can fit a load of shopping in with all seats up. Even though it’s small, because it’s high, it’s really roomy at the back.. 2 people can fit really comfortably and 3 kids easy. Good on petrol and the power is fine as well. I love it the most because with my stubby legs I can reach both the break pad and GO pad equally which makes for comfy driving. When I drive my mum’s Mazda 3 I have to actually reach for the accelerator pad otherwise I am too close to the break pad/steering wheel! When I go back to my car though, even though the stability is fine, I do miss a more ‘weighty’ feeling. Although, all this reminds me I need to take it back to Toyota to get the seat mover things fixed as part of the recall! One bad thing………

If you need more space, as Twinkle has said, Corolla is a great choice too. My bro has my mum’s old wagon and it’s still going well. We had a sedan for a while and that was good too. Heaps of people we know have Corollas and they could outlast anyone.

Mazdas are good too. Mum’s 3 is nice and you can fit decent sized furniture in there.. I try it all on mummy/daughter retro furniture browsing that turns into shopping days. Also VWs.

40 daisy { 06.30.14 at 2:04 am }

Thanks, Eliza and Twinkle. I really appreciate the feedback, especially as the sales people will say anything to make a sale.

I went looking for the shark but none were in stores. Other brands were heavy or only dust busters.

I tried the Golf but found it uncomfortable.

No Eliza, Roomba will not tidy up for you, or do laundry but he sure does a good job of vacuuming. The oly down side is we have a lot of floor rugs with fringe and he doesn’t go in one direction so the fringes get fluffed a bit but it’s a very small price to pay to have your floors done for you. It can even clean thick carpet.

41 daisy { 06.30.14 at 2:11 am }

And thanks LKK.
I am noting all of your suggestions.
LKK, my back just can’t handle the strain of vacuuming either.
I only get my Meile out once every 6 months now, and that’s just for window rungs and the very few places Roomba can’t reach.
You won’t even have to move low beds because Roomba goes underneath them. And he reaches into corners.

42 Eliza { 06.30.14 at 2:26 am }

LKK, I feel you and the pet hair. If there is only one good thing about not having a dog anymore is that the floor is not covered in hair. You wouldn’t think a kelpie/cattle would shed so much! Our younger cat has taken over those duties.. she is part Maine Coon so she leaves hairballs everywhere! She is mostly evil so I think she delights in it..

That’s a shame Daisy that Roomba will not clean up for you! Ah, it’s not too bad, but I do have storage under my bed that requires moving to vacuum.. sigh. I did it not long ago. I spent a long time. I may be lazy when it comes to vacuuming regularly but when I do, it’s a good job.

43 Twinkle { 06.30.14 at 11:19 am }

Daisy, I traded “up” from a VW Golf! I used to love them, but after owning one, I changed my view. It was an automatic that liked to stall on a regular basis (no mechanical fault found). The seats were really unfomfortable – no amount of adjusting could get them right. And its steering was not the best. It was only three years old, so it wasn’t old and abused … but it just wasn’t right for me.

Re the Shark vacuum, I bought mine off the TV Shop here (NZ), but a few department and furniture stores are now selling them, including Harvey Norman – and Google has just confirmed that Harvey Norman in Oz have them too.

Prior to the VW Golf I had a Mini Cooper for work which I loved … not great for carrying all the shopping and my two dogs around in though (not that I did in the work car, but I was toying about getting one after I changed jobs).

The Corolla is perfect. Love it. So what if it’s boring :-)

JESS – here’s an interesting article … comments from Carole and Russell made over the weekend about last week’s allegations:

And here’s an interesting article about the ratings successes that are MKR, HR and MC:

Interesting comments about last year’s House Rules getting off to a slow start. I don’t think the Woman’s Day article has damaged the show at all – if anything, it’s made more people talk about it which is great publicity. I’ve noticed a lot of people saying (on Facebook) that they’re not going to watch it anymore, but I’d be surprised if they didn’t.

44 Sarah { 07.03.14 at 4:58 pm }

Sorry but there is no way in hell you’re a battler if you can afford a second mortgage! Especially one worth twice the average! God people make me mad. They do not deserve to win.

45 New Home Building Brokers { 07.04.14 at 10:28 am }

We wish Carole all the best in the final. http://www.nhbb.com.au/testimonials/carole-bramston/

46 Sarah { 07.07.14 at 3:41 pm }

Lol @ New Home Building Brokers!!

Here is the link to the original testimonial – authors were David Ralf & Carole Bramston, Doubleview – WA http://web.archive.org/web/20140314003244/http://nhbb.com.au/testimonials/david-ralf-carole-bramston/

In the altered testimonial posted above they have cropped David out – original photo link: http://web.archive.org/web/20140314003244im_/http://nhbb.com.au/files/cache/71bc655904740169659af33b864ec4dc_f108.png