Guest Post: House Rules – The Barnardos Reno Continues – Will Carole and Russ Be Gone?

Annajjj has to get a standing ovation for recapping all of House Rules in such a witty way. Here is her take on the show continues:

Thirty-something episodes down, three to go and we’re still over at the Barnardos House renovating for the kiddies. It’s high drama tonight then elimination tomorrow and Grand Final on Wednsday.

Ok. All clear? Let’s do this. Tonight seems to be all about firming up the Cappers as the house villains as well as making it clear that McFlurry is here as resident shit-stirrer, not resident designer as producers were trying to lead us to believe.

In keeping with the “Capperesque nightmare” theme we have going tonight, Carole and Gapper are busy annoying everyone else. Gapper leaves his full wheelbarrow parked in Ryandy’s zone, takes an empty one when his gets a flat tyre and forces Ryan into knocking down their mutual wall by pretending to be too busy to help.

Meanwhile it is lucky that Lisa “Lissy” is wearing her hard hat as she smacks her head several times while staking out the kid’s cubby house as her new office. Inside the house Ryan and Adam are working companionably together to show Australia who should deservedly go into the Grand Finals. Viewer hint: Not the Cappers.

McFlurry is a veritable vision in orange-on-blue as she bounces into Ryandy’s zone to tell them to add a bit more colour to their kitchen. You’re preaching to the converted, McFoolish. Ryan is the undisputed King of Colour and he’s quick to remind us of this. It’s then off to the shops where Ryandy run into Carole who is buying everything every made, but they manage to snag the only thing she doesn’t want; a horrible macrame-and-shell wall hanging. They are thrilled with this purchase.

While she is busy changing into monochrome, we set up the next McFlurry interaction in the Capper’s bathroom. The toilet position has been determined and this means the shower recess will have to be long and narrow. When Gapper’s back is turned, Carole changes the plan and widens the shower. Cue McFlurry.

‘Have you worked out where the shower is going?’ she asks pointedly, forcing Carole to admit she has changed the bathroom floor plan. Gapper is outraged and McSneaky takes advantage of this distraction to trot back over to the production team to find out what her next destructive mission is.

Brief interlude for the chicks to all go shopping and Lisa is a very slow shopper, Carole is a very decisive shopper and we don’t see much of Candy at all.

Back at the house someone has wound up McFlurry’s key and sent her off in the direction of the Cappers again. This time it’s all about the furniture in the zone that backs onto Ryandy’s games room. According to McDawn-French, the Cappers had a magnificent furniture plan that is now ruined because the wall they wanted knocked down (so they could get the view McFrench insisted on) has been knocked down. Huh?

Carole is fired up and waves her arms around in agitation and that’s a mighty big arm mole Carole.  She tells Ryan he will have to change his wall back and Ryan is not impressed. We changed this for you in the first place, he points out. Too bad, so sad, is Carole’s mature response and then we finish up with the preview promise of the moment Australia has apparently been waiting for….when Candy cracks it at Carole. This promises to be even more exciting than fluffyroller-gate from The Block last year. In other words, not very. Reveal tomorrow.

1 Shellbot { 07.01.14 at 12:48 pm }

Ha, ‘resident sh!t-stirrer’ should definitely be McFlurry’s new job title, god knows she doesn’t actually offer any advice on design :p

Loved the previews of Candy cracking it, I felt the same way lol bit I hated was when Carole said to Ryan something to the effect of ‘yeah, go sleep on it and when you wake up you’ll realise and come around’ what the? that’s what she said about getting them to agree to take down the wall! and either way it means Candy and Ryan have all of one wall to use to put stuff on.

Oh and one last point, I think that Lisa was only hitting her head because she was wearing the helmet and not spatially aware of her new height :p

2 cooper { 07.01.14 at 1:43 pm }

Long time lurker – first time poster – Just had to comment that I LOVE the recaps & agree so much about McFlurry’s uselessness & Carole’s nastiness. The gappers better not win this thing!

3 Gabby { 07.01.14 at 1:50 pm }

Welcome cooper. I agree with you, the Gappers better not win.
Carole really outdid herself last night as did Russ, they really showed their true colours. I hope they are the next to leave.

4 realitygone { 07.01.14 at 1:53 pm }

As much as I am finding Carol increasing annoying I would be pretty peeved by Candy & Ryan sealing the door. Carol and Russ should be able to put the furniture where they want in their zone.

5 Shellbot { 07.01.14 at 2:34 pm }

@realitygone: Candy and Ryan told them at the beginning their plans to close up the door, would have been too much un-useable space if they didn’t. And yes, the gappers can put their furniture wherever they want they’ll just look like numptys for putting it right in front of the entrance to the games room when also shown in the initial conversation they agreed to move their couch forward to give access to the room…

6 brain dead dave { 07.01.14 at 3:13 pm }

Lucky I’m not a contestant. I’d be trying to impress the judges with an awesome water feature of an NRL player “bubbling” in the lounge room.

I expected the Candy crackup last night since it was heavily promo’d all weekend. Carole , I think would look great wearing black and brown… ie a Doberman.

Still watching,fabulous work of annajjj can’t be missed. I’m on the edge of my seat salivating for Candy chewing Carole’s arse out.

7 Veronicali { 07.01.14 at 3:18 pm }

How long would that rope-shell wall hanging thing last with a house full of kids using it for a jungle gym when it’s raining outside :(

Go Candy! I hope they brick up Carole’s view, I would.

8 all happening { 07.01.14 at 3:42 pm }

Thank goodness you are here annajjj, I was having withdrawals.
I was so disgusted in the behaviour of Russ and Carole last night. They act like they are the only important ones there. The way Russ left wheel barrows in the way of others work etc.
It was good to see Ryan and Candy and Adam and Lisa working together.
R&C had said they would close up the door when they compromised on the wall.

9 brain dead dave { 07.01.14 at 3:59 pm }

Time for Candy and Ryan to put a big muriel over Carole’s hole.

10 Eliza { 07.01.14 at 4:05 pm }

Last night’s episode was drawn out and quite uneventful. Yes, the Cappers are the baddies now, we get it. We have always had an idea of their behavior though from the start.

I think where they knocked the wall out they should have kept it like an internal window. That would let the light through without the games room being a room of walls. It would be sill to get rid of the smaller doorway. Carole went along with it at first but obviously wasn’t thinking about it very well. I would put a lot of it down to trying to make all these decisions in tight time frames.

Totally agree, annajjj re McCrave.. they make her so annoying the way she has to always come in when it’s either too late to make a change, or when it would still be inconvenient. It’s stoooopid!

11 Andrea { 07.01.14 at 4:30 pm }

Thanks Annajj, very funny. Damm, I was waiting with bated breath for Candy’s dummy spit, didn’t they promote it for last night?
Oh well, I still have tonight to look forward to.
At this stage all Adam and Lisa have to do is smile and look good, be nice and co operate as they have always done , and they’ve got this thing won, especially with the other two couples carrying on like they do.
I agree, what use is McCrave anyway, what does she actually do? Anyone can offer advice and walk away, it makes more sense. Maybe she could be a judge instead.

12 Eliza { 07.01.14 at 5:18 pm }

“I’ll leave you to it (now that I have just created chaos for you, you’re welcome!)”

Agree, Andrea, A&L have it in the bag.

13 all happening { 07.01.14 at 5:42 pm }

I’m also hoping A&L win. Like you Andrea,, I was waiting for the dummy spit but we will get chapter 2 tonight I assume. McFlurry is totally useless. She seems to cause more trouble than she is worth. I will be so angry if Candy and Ryan end up having to close up that wall after her and Carol decided that was how it had to be.

14 annajjj { 07.01.14 at 6:39 pm }

all happening me too! They’d better not agree to it but I suspect Ryan will cave in under pressure. bdd you made me spit wine on the keyboard…bubbling indeed..
Thanks for the feedback cooper!

15 Fijane { 07.01.14 at 7:00 pm }

OK, they got me back. I think yelling at the tv qualifies as being engaged with a show.
There is no reason whatsoever that Carole cannot arrange her furniture differently to accommodate the changes she insisted on. I haven’t like Candy and Ryan, but they must stand firm and not reinstate the wall. I’m with Candy on this – if they put the wall back, Candy and Ryan should just remove it again. Carole deserves to be slammed by the judges for placing her lounge over a doorway.
McDawn is totally on the wrong here – she encouraged Candy and Ryan to make the change, and now she has stirred the hornets nest by giving Carole permission to be ridiculous about the lounges.
There, I feel better now…

16 v { 07.01.14 at 7:23 pm }

carole is a bully who must go!!

17 v { 07.01.14 at 7:42 pm }

I have just wathced scene 1 of tonights episode and feel the need to add that carole is a selfish lying tired old blonde moll

18 annajjj { 07.01.14 at 7:45 pm }

Fijane couldn’t agree more

19 Gabby { 07.01.14 at 7:53 pm }

I dislike Carole and her other half soooo much, they better NOT win!!!
Really showing their true colours and they are not very nice.

20 Gabby { 07.01.14 at 7:55 pm }

V, I agree with you.

21 James { 07.01.14 at 7:57 pm }

Another agreement, Carole is a complete BI$$$H. She got exactly what she wanted and then when back on what was agreed on.

Felt so sorry for Candy and Ryan.

22 Mezzwa { 07.01.14 at 7:59 pm }

Long time reader, first time poster. Although this is more of a rant. Why the hell are Carole and Russell able to dictate whatever the hell they want?? That useless woman fluffs in and out and reinforces whatever Carole and Russell want. It’s killing this stupid show for me. I feel like it’s being set up for Russell and Carole. Selfish pigs. Rant over.
No it’s not. Ryan needs a set of balls.
Love reading everyone’s posts more than watching the show.

23 annajjj { 07.01.14 at 8:03 pm }

Gidget! Just saw your tweet. Yes yes they should!

24 Andrea { 07.01.14 at 9:34 pm }

Even my husband was shouting at the tv over the wall debacle, he said McCrave was wrong asking Candy and Ryan to give in, and where was Chester when all this was going on?
I felt sorry for Candy and Ryan, and why should she have been the one to go crawling to Carole?

25 brain dead dave { 07.01.14 at 10:07 pm }

Carole was so patronising , ie “She’s only young,blah ,blah”

Make no mistake , Australia won’t vote for a cunning , conniving old sow , her lap dog and their “mortgage”.

Candy had nothing to apologise for. Mc Crave was as weak as in the situation ,with the alibis about the greater cause.

And yes, where’s Chester and his compensatory phallic tool belt when you need him?

26 TVGal { 07.01.14 at 11:08 pm }

McDawn-French actually makes some good points – not sure Anajj why you seem to dislike her so much? She adds much more value than yelling about gas leaks or asbestos.
Your blog has been so entertaining up until the last week or so – there’s not long to go and surely there’s some positive funny things to talk about? Lets not overlook that these teams have done some amazing work for a worthy charity.

27 LW { 07.02.14 at 12:05 am }

Oh TvGal, bless you and your lovely positive outlook on life! Stick around girlfriend, we’ll soon make you as bitter and twisted as us…

28 Eliza { 07.02.14 at 12:23 am }

As much as I think that putting the wall back was the right move for both spaces, Carole should have also been apologising to Candy for agreeing to something, going back on her word and not letting Candy speak. She was patronising about the only being young thing.. I would have been frustrated too. It seems that every time Russell tries to ration with Carole about the decisions she is making, it makes her want to go against him more! He questioned her as to how the lounges would fit with the open wall but no, no she just ignored him and made up her own mind, then later ‘realises’ hang on! Now I want my lounge there! It was all stupid.. They are making McCrave so annoying by popping her in and out of scenes, just appearing to stir up crap, then leave. Exactly, BDD, I am always asking my TV, “where’s Chester?!” He just seems to pop up to yell “ASBESTOS.. EVERYBODY OUT” or “GAS LEAK.. EVERYBODY OUT”. He needs to be more like Keith, up in everyone’s business.

Also, I do not get it, when they want the house to be ‘fun’ does that always have to mean cheap and nasty super bright colours? No. Carole’s bathroom design looks like it needs a make-over now. Horrible!

29 cuisinaire { 07.02.14 at 2:12 am }

Carole said, “She (Candy) came and said sorry. There’s not a lot of people who do that these days”. Holy guacamole Carole, is that right??? Selective editing or not, there was some nasty stuff going on.

I appreciate that the teams are trying to create a memorable holiday home for foster families but seriously, aren’t ‘pops of colour’ being overdone. Wallpaper in the kitchen near the stove…not a good choice even if it’s scrubbable. There’s a real ocean outside the window. Bedrooms should have a soothing atmosphere for children whose histories may have had mental and physical violence, not wallpaper likely to induce a seizure (kidding). Colour can be in the bedlinen, curtains, hooks for jackets and hats etc. Surely it’s faster to paint with a roller than paper a wall with a strongly patterned paper. McFlurry had said that the lounge was a large room (so I don’t get the dummy spit by C&R Snr). Days ago, Carole even made the point that the seating had to accommodate ten people. Pity she didn’t think the same thought when choosing the lounge seating in Tassie. And a bathroom for lots of people with no window for ventilation…

30 hampster { 07.02.14 at 7:00 am }

Who’s writing the script to ensure the ratings for this ‘reality’ show continue to amaze everyone? Ya gotta have the good guys/gals not getting along with the bad guys/gals. That’s the proper format, right? Well, I think the formula is working. But, I would warn the producers & show runners to be very, very careful with picking (or keeping) the judges (Joe and Wendy) and the support staff (Chester and Carolyn), aka the “Experts”. YIKES!!!!! This is the show’s weakest point, IMHO…as several others have mentioned.

Good news, the Barnardos’ House is getting a much-needed refurb. It is such a worthy organization. Good job, House Rules’ team! Can’t wait to see the reveal.

31 all happening { 07.02.14 at 8:21 am }

In an ideal world, the judges will walk in to C&R’s lounge and say that the room would have been better if it didn’t have the nib wall and the couches should have been around the other way to take advantage of the view.
Unfortunately this isn’t an ideal world and C&R will probably be rewarded for being a*holes.

32 all happening { 07.02.14 at 9:45 am }

Just seen Joe Snell on the Morning show and he likes the nib wall. Swears he knew nothing of shit hitting the fan. Yeah right!
#31 I meant Carol and Russell C&R. I hope if they are in the finals, the public are still going to vote, and they get hammered. There was a thread on fb I saw last night with over 2000 comments and hardly one was behind the Gappers.

33 Gabby { 07.02.14 at 9:56 am }

Thanks ah for the Facebook info on the Gappers, so pleased to hear 2000 comments were not behind Gappers, made my day!
Carole was so happy and thought how wonderful it was how Candy apologised but I noticed no sorry came out of her ugly mouth.

34 Myra { 07.02.14 at 10:06 am }

There were probably friends and family members who were watching on Tuesday night looking at Carole and Russell’s behavior and saying “see I told you they were like that”. That was a disgrace! I hope some of you apply to go on the show. I would rather see “real” people. I wish I could but . . . . plus my husband said my Spanish temper would clash if there was another “Carole” type person.

35 Jaycee47 { 07.02.14 at 10:12 am }

After last weeks eps I just couldn’t bring myself to watch any more and haven’t. I have followed proceedings on RR and by the sounds of it haven’t missed much except usual shit with Gappers….will be voting ABC&R….anyone but Carole & Russell! By the sounds of things it is going to be a popularity contest and I am hoping they don’t win…for a variety of reasons!

36 all happening { 07.02.14 at 10:22 am }

That same post is up over 4000 now Gabby and just the lone odd voice supporting Gappers.

37 Andrea { 07.02.14 at 12:20 pm }

I noticed that too AH, they can’t all be wrong can they?
Everyone is seeing it the way we do.
I don’t like wallpaper in the kitchen either, but judging on the promos for tonight, the house seems to be a hit with the kids and families which is the main thing.
Chester needs to be more hands on in solving the problems.

38 julieann { 07.02.14 at 1:00 pm }

it’s a small thing but does joe snell own a shirt that wasn’t made out of one of his granny’s tablecloths?

39 mm#8 { 07.02.14 at 3:53 pm }

I have been a Russell fan since first reno… his blind acceptance of his lot in life as servant & slave to Her in overalls is military-like ..not always been sold on Carole .. but I can’t believe how she has imploded
Way out of line pinching stuff, demanding shopping items & now done an about face with what she wanted with poor Ryan & Candy… and then hovered in Ryan’s face when he manfully reinstated the doorway
I realise their mortgage is the lowest & so would be the networks preferred winner? but either of the other two teams would be a more worthy winner now …. still sulking a little we lost Maddi & Lloyd tho .. they were nice people

40 Eliza { 07.02.14 at 5:06 pm }

mm#8 Carly and Leighton’s mortgage last year wasn’t the smallest from memory and they won. I can’t see it going any other way but A&L winning. I would be fine with that.

41 all happening { 07.02.14 at 5:57 pm }

I am so sick of listening to them tell us they want their mortgage paid off.

42 Bronwyn { 07.02.14 at 11:20 pm }

This is my first season watching this, does it all come down to a home vote? Not a fan of Carole and Russell. I find it embarrassing to watch her speak to him the way she does, and he seems ok with it. Fascinating what some men will put up with.

43 Cassie { 07.02.14 at 11:22 pm }

Sorry even as a fellow west Aussie Carol and Russell will not be receiving a vote from me. They wasted Candy and Ryan’s time by first agreeing to the wall being knocked down.( was even on camera) then poor Ryan and Candy had to start all over again. Sooooo unfair. It should’ve been candy and Ryan in the grand final with Adam and Lisa.

44 New Home Building Brokers { 07.04.14 at 10:33 am }

We wish Carol all the best in the final, hope she brings it home for WA.