OPEN POST: Masterchef Australia – We Have Our Top Ten

This years top ten have now been decided on Masterchef after the elimination of Kira Westwick. She was up against Colin and Jamie in a croquembouche challenge, however there was a twist.

Tracey who had the power apron got to decide who got which part of the recipe. She gave Jamie the choux pastry, Colin the caramel and assembly instructions and Kira the Creme Pastisserie.

In the end Kira’s choux was judged the worst and she was eliminated. OK I have not seen the episode however why not give them the whole recipe or none of it. Sure it is meant to create drama but it does not make a fair challenge. In fact just found this interview with Kira where she says exactly the same thing. Β However would love to know your thoughts about whether the right person went home.

The top ten is:

Sarah

Laura

Colin

Jamie

Brent

Emelia

Renae

Tracy

Ben

Amy

1 Jay { 07.02.14 at 12:14 am }

Thanks daisy I really appreciate your good wishes and your empathy. None of us envisaged the time or setbacks for my recovery and of course this is not my ideal lifestyle but no need to feel sorry for me because I really am incredibly lucky in so many ways. And you probably remember the joy when you were able to re-enter the world after your confinement so I’ve got that to look forward to! It’s been a few years since I’ve been over to the West so I can’t remember the name just the sun, company and general good feel of wherever we were.
Simon – I wasn’t in the least offended – I wish we had different fonts or colours that could indicate tone, irony, humour etc – actually if I wasn’t such a luddite I could develop something like that.

2 daisy { 07.02.14 at 12:58 am }

OK Jay. Then we have a date for that verandah in the sun when you are up and adam. My treat.

Oh and don’t worry, I won’t feel sorry for you, I promise. Don’t blame you for not wanting that.

3 daisy { 07.02.14 at 1:02 am }

I like the idea of different fonts for irony, serious, silly nonsense but with colours. Red could mean Ggggrrr. Blue could mean disappointed. Yellow could mean silly nonsense (that would be my colour), mauve could be sensible wisdom.

4 Eliza { 07.02.14 at 1:22 am }

Daisy, I am missing WLCTT tonight.. I can’t be bothered with MC. Might have to start going to sleep at a decent hour. There is always something to distract me though.. I have set up an instagram account so am busy posting cat pictures.. haha oh dear.

I like your fonts idea, Jay. We need a rich text box thingy so we can change colours, do bold letters and italics. It is easy for written word to be taken the wrong way. I write like I talk so it sounds right in my head. Daisy, your words are always yellow to me.. haha joking. I add in “haha” and “LOL” a bit so people know I am being light hearted but maybe I am not, really.

5 Jay { 07.02.14 at 1:36 am }

daisy 101 – I’ll definitely be in that – another joy to look forward too!

6 daisy { 07.02.14 at 2:02 am }

Jay, you are so on. And we will only talk in yellow. πŸ˜‰
Oh blue should be for too rude.

Are you still up Eliza? I missed my Orphan Black but I am going away for 2 weeks on Monday so I am glad there is a lull.

I am getting excited for Big Brother to start. I hope they have some nice people. Last year was one of the best BBs imo.

7 Eliza { 07.02.14 at 2:12 am }

Yes, I am always still up. I am watching Adobe Illustrator how-to videos.

OOoo.. where are you going??

8 daisy { 07.02.14 at 2:17 am }

I draw cartoons a lot Eliza.

And we are going to Malaysia: KL, Redang, Penang. Just to get warm, and lay on the beach. :)

9 Eliza { 07.02.14 at 2:26 am }

Nice! It has just started to get cold here in Sydney, really. Otherwise it has been a really warm winter. I can’t wait for daylight savings to come back. Only thing I like about winter is exercising in the cold.

In an inquisitive tone, what do you draw cartoons for? I am not good like that, I can draw but I have to copy, can’t draw straight from brain to hand. I have a restricted imagination.

10 Smythe { 07.02.14 at 2:32 am }

Jay, I agree that something has changed with Tracy since MPW’s visit. Maybe that week with MPW gave her the confidence boost she needed.
Really want the peanut gallery to be in another room. Who knows how the gnocchi would have come out without Laura’s advice? Also found it interesting that before Tracy started cooking the beef cheeks Kylie mentioned the use of a pressure cooker. Who knows if Tracy would have cooked them this way if Kylie hadn’t said something?
The chef knew that the pork would be dry and that’s the way he wanted it. The dish came out exactly as he had planned. Tracy’s dish may have been good but it sure wasn’t outstanding, although I didn’t taste it (nor would I as a vegetarian). It was obvious when her dish was brought out to the Stooges that this was not cooked by the two hatted chef. Matt brings up how he likes the classic dishes and that’s what Tracy made. Although Kira is gone, her quinoa risotto did not get her eliminated for that challenge and that was far from classic. AND Matt liked that dish. Continuing inconsistent judging and what is good for one contestant may be bad for another.
Get rid of the ammunity, get rid of the power apron, get rid of the peanut gallery on the gantry or duct tape their mouths.

Also…Jay…hope you’re better soon and up and out of the house.

11 Eliza { 07.02.14 at 2:36 am }

Smythe, I made quinoa ‘risotto’ last week and it was delicious. I don’t like ammunity either, so inconsistent in too many seasons now.

12 daisy { 07.02.14 at 2:36 am }

Uuurrrggggh. Thank goodness we don’t have dls. I hate it. It totally defeats the purpose of getting up early if everyone else gets up too.

I have drawn all my life. I draw mostly people and can do lots of kinds of drawings but I do love doing cartoons. I’m a good drawer but I can’t sing or play sport. Like you, I do like keeping fit though.
I like dancing, swimming, walking and bike riding.

13 daisy { 07.02.14 at 2:38 am }

Smythe, I saw the start of From Dust to Dawn tonight. After OB and The Returned I always check out the new SBS. We are going to continue with Orange too.

14 Smythe { 07.02.14 at 2:40 am }

Daisy, that sounds like a great trip. I need to get away. Can I come with? πŸ˜‰ Hope you have a wonderful time!
You need to draw some MC cartoons.

15 Smythe { 07.02.14 at 2:42 am }

Have not heard of “Dust to Dawn”…or is it “Dusk to Dawn”. What is it about? I’ve been watching “Under the Dome” a US series where a town gets covered by a mysterious dome and no one can get in or out.

16 daisy { 07.02.14 at 2:48 am }

Smythe, sure you can.

The easiest ones to draw would be Jowls, George, a fainting, shaven tattooed Renae, Sarah topless but wearing a half apron (all the immunity she needs), the Grandson, the conducting Marco……..andLaura.

17 daisy { 07.02.14 at 2:57 am }

Oh, yeah. Dusk.
I watched S1 of the Dome but pulled the plug when promos led me to believe they would answer the mystery of the egg. When I found they tricked me I thought, “No way”.

Also after OB, I am getting fussier.

18 Eliza { 07.02.14 at 2:58 am }

What? I love DLS.. I enjoy it staying light until later. Makes the day feel longer.. I am a late day person though. I hate it being dark by 5pm. Guess I should never try live in the UK.. or Iceland for that matter πŸ˜‰

I am too broadly skilled to excel at one thing, I hate it. I have always had natural skill for sport, although with my bad ankles I am terrible at soccer. I can bowl, bat, pass a football and whack a tennis ball. I can’t run far but I can run fast. I am not freaking fantastic though at anything. I am quite good at maths but then also good at design/art too. I guess I always did very well at studies in art/design but I have never considered myself great. I am tough though on myself, plus I psych myself out so then tend to not try things, hence why I am sucking it up and going back to school! Oh and I can sing alright.. just not too high.. I might let the cats out.

I should hit the hay and continue on with what I am doing tomorrow. I am going to feel it when I go back to some 5am wake ups!

19 daisy { 07.02.14 at 3:05 am }

Me too. Night all. Sampai nanti.
See you later in Malay.

20 Benji { 07.02.14 at 5:04 am }

@Simon 84
Yes, I think Kylie definitely gave away that pressure cooker hint. Otherwise, I’m not sure why you would claim to be struggling for time to cook beef cheeks…

21 Smythe { 07.02.14 at 7:57 am }

Daisy, If you remember Julia threw the egg in the lake and all of these pink things shot up in the air. Well 1st episode, season 2, a young girl is found in the lake by Julia and it is obvious she is not of Chester Mills but of The Egg. Characters are a bit too cardboard for my taste. There was a surprise death of one of the major characters.
You can draw some of those MC cartoons during your vacation, although I’m sure you have a lot better things to do. :-)

Renae’s face showed how she felt about Tracy getting the ammunity pin and it wasn’t a good feeling.

22 Sandii { 07.02.14 at 8:27 am }

Whilst the chefs plate did look amazing and indeed like a piece of art, I am pretty sure I would want to eat tracey’s dish if I had the choice. All the chef had was charred onion / leek, piece of dry looking meat, smashed brains and a raw egg. Did anyone notice that he had only one leaf on the plate

23 Sandii { 07.02.14 at 8:33 am }

Mayu, I was thinking about you when I was driving to work yesterday morning. I had been reading all the comments about travel and exotic countries. I was feeling a bit sad about my lack of traveling etc due to my circumstances of living on a farm in semi rural south Australia. My sadness turned to a smile when I noticed a mother deer and her baby running along side of the road. About a half a kilometer later there was a massive emu, fluffing up it’s feathers, probably shaking of the dew. I also saw mobs and mobs of kangaroos. I did go to work and think, okay it’s not great but it’s ok.

24 Smythe { 07.02.14 at 8:41 am }

Eliza, did you use Kira’s recipe for the quinoa “risotto”?

25 Littlepetal { 07.02.14 at 10:58 am }

Jay, I hope you will be well enough soon to be out and about. We are very lucky to have fantastic medical support here.

You will enjoy your date with Daisy on the verandah watching sunset and sunrise! I might come and join the both of you!

26 Arky { 07.02.14 at 3:08 pm }

Maz @82: Pretty sure that Tracy’s “strategic” reasons for giving 15 minutes each to Sarah and Kira had exactly that reasoning. I suspect everyone left in the competition, except Sarah and maybe Kira, would also have tried to sabotage Sarah given that she’s pretty, she can cook (when not serving raw meat) and she got to come back from elimination which is traditionally unpopular with the uneliminated contestants on every reality show ever. Whether anyone but Tracy also saw Kira as a threat is unknown. Maybe she just didn’t have the guts to put Emelia in and put up with being cold-shouldered by the clique for weeks on end.

27 Grumpy { 07.02.14 at 3:33 pm }

Tracey’s gnocchi were by far the better dish (with Laura’s help) while Biota Boy’s dried pork on brain mash would cause people to run from the building (with Renae leading the pack)…question is; why did G & G score both contestants “9”??

Probably because they were fellow chefs….and only Matt felt he could tell the truth… that an egg yolk in a burnt onion ring ain’t gonna cut it…

28 Eliza { 07.02.14 at 5:02 pm }

Smythe, no I didn’t use her exact recipe, I just winged it. I did use pumpkin and kale though as pumpkin is always a winner. It was really good. I am not all pretentious about food but I do eat all those trendy “superfoods” haha.

P.S do you sleep.. you were up late then back on bright and early!

Daisy, I really want to see your drawings/cartoons!!! Do you put them on the internet anywhere? I have just got instagram.. my friend persuaded me as a good way to “network” but I still feel funny posting stuff. Sure I will get used to it. My cats are already getting some likes.

29 Kim { 07.02.14 at 7:13 pm }

I’ve very briefly worked with James Viles way back when, he was always nice to me but others have used words such as “wanker” to describe him. Must say I wasn’t too impressed with his dish. Good to see he has done well for himself though.

30 Smythe { 07.03.14 at 1:08 am }

Eliza #128 I don’t sleep well or don’t sleep much which is not a good thing. :-(

Right now I am washing laundry! :-)

31 ダむをンフォンフゑステンバーグ シルクドレス { 09.08.14 at 5:03 pm }

Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous
to and you’re just extremely wonderful. I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like
what you’re saying and the way in which you say it.
You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it
wise. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a wonderful website.