OPEN POST: Masterchef Australia – The Mexican Food Challenge And Who Went?

The last of the open posts as I am winging my way home and interesting to read peoples different points of view. I am amused that my favourite Renae is now not so popular in the comment thread.

It is interesting over the course of a series how contestants you don’t like become ones you do and ones you did not like in the beginning become one that you do!

Alas also another favourite of mine is gone Colin aka the silver fox.

I am looking forward to contributing to the conversation again.

1 Sandii { 07.06.14 at 9:59 pm }

Jay 1 don’t get me started on coke cola chicken.

2 Rosie { 07.06.14 at 9:59 pm }

Sandii, you won’t be offended if I decline your generous invitation to dinner tomorrow night will you? Even if you decide to get all fancy with the cornflakes a la Pollywaffle? 😀

3 LW { 07.06.14 at 10:05 pm }

There’s restaurants in New Zealand where you can still order Apricot Chicken or deep fried Camembert with cranberry sauce – all without any irony at all…

4 Simon { 07.06.14 at 10:09 pm }

I would be very surprised if Tracy doesn’t use her pin given she’s up against two of the arguably best cooks in the house. Sucks for Renae if she does though and my money would be on Renae going unless Sarah fumbles again. Sarah doesn’t look like she’s in a good head space.

Sarah’s second dish looked as terrible on screen as the judges made out. Had the same expression when they slid away the stodgy rice puck. Looks like she was trying to imitate James Vile’s black pork neck with her chicken. Didn’t work for him so why not imitate it!

Like that she tried speed marinating though. It’s an interesting technique, forcing the marinade into all parts of the chicken. Shame it didn’t really work though.

5 Simon { 07.06.14 at 10:14 pm }

Laura is untouchable. Her dish went from seemingly guaranteed bottom 3 to top 3 with one element. I got the sense that Brent had a “here we go again” expression on his face when Laura was walking back to the counter.

Once again judges are real inconsistent with their verdicts. Emelia doesn’t meet the brief, bottom 3. Kira doesn’t meet the brief, best dish!

6 Sandii { 07.06.14 at 10:24 pm }

LW deep fried camembert, yummy! You can still buy it at my local pub.

7 Sandii { 07.06.14 at 10:32 pm }

Simon, Laura does seem to be able to do no wrong. I don’t think her dish should have been top 3

8 Jay 1 { 07.06.14 at 10:41 pm }

I hear you Sandii -I wouldn’t go past deep fried camembert with any type of berry sauce – fat fried in more fat with a balanced sweet /tart berry sauce – tell me what is not to love? Okay, I couldn’t do it every meal but give me my artery clogging joy in that form rather than franchised fast food.

Simon – that’s what I meant about the faux cliff-hanger ending – Tracy would be incredibly foolish to back herself against the other two – love them or loathe them, they’ve both demonstrated better skills than Tracy and although Tracy was the judges pet last week, overall the judges have favoured both of the others by comparison. I think Renae would know she’s headed for alimination and boohoo it won’t be fair, if only she hadn’t had the sage she would’ve produced a brilliant meal and had the power going into the invention test, more tears – enormous yawn – tragic I’ve given up so much to be here more tears etc, etc.

And apropos of nothing – I really can’t take to Amy!

9 Simon { 07.06.14 at 11:03 pm }

Sandii, who would you have put into the Top 3 based on what you saw?

Jay 1, this end of the season does seem very faux heavy. The season started off so promisingly too…

10 Littlepetal { 07.06.14 at 11:23 pm }

Thanks gices. So Sarah, Emelia and Tracy are in the Pressure Test.

It will be silly if Tracy doesn’t use her pin.

11 lulu { 07.06.14 at 11:39 pm }

Yep, Laura’s path to glory continues unabated.
First, she carries on about Apricot Chicken like it’s a generational thing … ‘ooh I’m too young.’ Then she ends up making an Italian dish anyway, with a hint of apricot. Nonna’s proud, the judges love it, and there’s dancing in the streets of Adelaide.

Renae’s already hysterical on her way out of the kitchen and is being comforted. Therapists are being called.
Disappointed about Sarah and Emelia, but Sarah should’ve known that black food never goes down well n MC. And squid ink is only good in theory.

Daisy, I didn’t know you were a “horrible old bag.” You could’ve warned us. hehe

12 Jay 1 { 07.07.14 at 12:02 am }

lulu – you’re so right – daisy still has me fooled into thinking she’s lovely.
I was thinking …… unusual I know, but : What if Tracy does back herself, doesn’t use her pin, fails miserably and gets sent home? I know that’s not going to happen but can anyone tell me has a contestant ever been sent home with an ammunity pin in hand (in any series)?

13 Mayu { 07.07.14 at 12:09 am }

I somehow feel that as soon as a contestant wins immunity he/she certainly ends up in the next elimination!!!

14 brain dead dave { 07.07.14 at 12:49 am }

Emelia is shown in trouble in the promos for tomorrow night, so we know what that means.

15 Rosie { 07.07.14 at 1:14 am }

Dammit!

16 LW { 07.07.14 at 1:41 am }

Daisy, referring back to Smythe’s post #87, I used to have a Daisy Doll in the 70s, Mary Quant designed them. They were a Barbie knockoff. I’ve decided there should be a Racist Daisy doll, you would press a button and she would say things like “F**k off back to where you came from” and other fun stuff that would outrage the PC crowd.
And yes, I am off topic, but it’s after midnight, so anything goes!

17 Eliza { 07.07.14 at 3:10 am }

I missed tonight’s episode.. was out watching Explosion the Movie. Oops, off topic…

Thanks everyone for the fill in. I respect all comments/people’s thoughts until they resort to needless, rude and unkind name calling. It just voids your argument. I would much rather read about people’s dogs, what they ate and what appliances they are thinking of buying than name calling. There is still always lots of good, insightful chatter on here that is on topic, well, IMO anyway. I wouldn’t have been here for so many years if I felt as though the ‘regulars’ were a mean spirited bunch.

LW, after midnight is when all the fun begins! That always reminds me of that episode of How I Met Your Mother – “Nothing good happens after 2am”. I should have changed my name to Night Owl Eliza, right, Daisy?

18 Mayu { 07.07.14 at 3:49 am }

I dont like ‘how i met your mother’! That show simply made no sense to me!!! FRIENDS is just so much more amazing!!!
Actually i dont know why am i even comparing those two shows! Its not even past mid-night here!! 😀

19 Smythe { 07.07.14 at 6:05 am }

Apricot chicken: have never eaten it and have never been served it. Guess I’m very lucky. :-)

Gary steers Sarah away from making a salad and so she changes her dish. Brent’s salad is called up for a tasting. Don’t care that he made his own “cheese”, it was a salad and the Stooges didn’t want salads again. Brent makes another salad for the 2nd round.

Laura: sniffle, boohoo, can’t make this dish because it’s before my time. You’re on MC and one of the best cooks ever so be creative and use the two required ingredients. Her dish looked bad, gloggy and gooey, but maybe it tasted good. It’s their little Laura and she needs to go through to the ammunity challenge.

Tracy: The power to rule is gone. Is the power to cook well gone, too? Didn’t she have a problem with the sous vide once before or was that someone else?

Sarah: Just looking at that dish who would want to eat it. Was she fooling herself or is she subconsciously sabotaging herself? Enough w/ the squid ink…it’s being overused and/or not used properly.

At this point in the competition Tracy would be foolish not to use the ammunity pin. Renae will take her place and my thought is that she will be eliminated but…..since Sarah was eliminated once they may want to eliminate her again.

Emelia: Simon #205….agree w/ you re: the inconsistent judging. They are consistently inconsistent. Emelia makes a good tasting dish but doesn’t follow the brief and is sent to elimination. Kira makes a quinoa risotto that doesn’t fit the brief but that’s OK. Has Emelia lost her “golden girl” status and will she be eliminated? I don’t think so.

That retro challenge really got Georgie all fired up and excited.
Haven’t seen him like that during most of this season.

Did not realize how long this post was and didn’t mean to write that much but I am wide awake and have nowhere to go and nothing else to do right now. :-)

20 Sandii { 07.07.14 at 7:06 am }

Simon at 209, I would have Amy as her dish looked nice. They helped Laura a bit in the pantry. I am sure they would have told her what to add off camera. Maybe I would have Brent in top 3. He looks like he has grown a lot in skill.

21 Sandii { 07.07.14 at 7:38 am }

Ps who above said ” puck” to describe Sarah’s rice. Well said! Well played!
Smythe, 219 you don’t know what you are missing! I am having me some apricot chicken a la pollywaffle for tea/dinner tonight.

22 Fijane { 07.07.14 at 7:47 am }

OK, Emelia is now my new fav contestant (sorry to all the non-Emelia fans). Anyone who agrees that fruit has no place in savoury dishes has my vote. I thought she was clever to make a nice dish that just had the hint of apricot.
Last night’s episode nearly had me gagging. Apricot chicken is one of my top ten all-time hated meals, made all the worse because people used to serve it up all the time as a dish that “everyone loves that”, a bit like lasagne is now. Laura’s dish with the half apricots floating around was the worst.

23 Jay 2 { 07.07.14 at 8:31 am }

Enough with the gimmicks, just give me a plain ol’ mystery box. What’s mastercheffy about bartering for ingredients? Renae with the sage no one wanted, set up maybe? Just so happens to be in fourth place, poised to take Tracey’s spot for tomorrows elimination. The more time Emilia gets on camera, the more you see a higher-than-thou attitude. Apricot chicken is beneath her huh? No shit, it’s implied in the challenge that it’s beneath everyone’s standards.

24 Arky { 07.07.14 at 9:53 am }

Don’t know why Sarah used the squid ink. It just made her dish look like an ugly giant black blob. Squid ink best used on small things that are part of a dish with other elements. The only good thing which can be said about her dish is that she failed while trying something ambitious rather than failing to properly cook a piece of chicken which, seriously, not hard (Tracy!).

Emelia probably thought she was going to get the quinoa-risotto treatment for daring to depart from the brief in a true-to-herself way. Sucks for her. Maybe she thought she wasn’t getting enough screentime by never being in the pressure tests.

Seems a bit suspicious that Laura’s dish went from being, basically, straight apricot chicken with a gluggy-looking polenta to being top 3 material by chucking in a few croutons and some prosciutto (not sure how that reinvents apricot chicken, either). Some definite favouritism there.

Tracy would have to be stupid not to use her immunity pin, and we all think Renae is odds-on to go home against Sarah and Emelia, right? Unless Sarah has back-to-back disaster days. It would be pretty cruel for Emelia to go home, smug or not, after being so consistent and even now being in the bottom 3 based on the judges’ inconsistent beliefs about sticking to the brief and not on the quality of her cooking.

Amy finally getting top 3 dishes at a very good time for her I guess.

Thought bartender boy should have had his pear tasted in round 1, FWIW. Brent got his tasted purely on the DIY cheese gimmick IMO, whereas the pear looked like the dish I would be most likely to actually pick to try myself. Wanted to know what the brulee cheese tasted like too.

25 Carole { 07.07.14 at 3:57 pm }

That’s right Jay 1 & Sandii the apricot chicken I used to make had french onion soup & apricot nectar. No dried apricots or tinned apricots like they were using last night. I wasn’t up myself so it was plain old nectar for me. Wasn’t fancy enough for the corn flake topping either.

Oh Sandii, I love the coca cola chicken. I’ve made it a few times.

26 daisy { 07.07.14 at 4:37 pm }

Lulu, I don’t even own a old bag.

Sorry I missed the show. I have been on route since ‘old bag’ and I was looking fd to a good laugh but it’s all been cleaned up.

If I am an old bag I am a tough leathery one. 😆

At Taaras now. Love it here. Aren’t I silly doing RR while hubby is at the beach. Never mind. I can see it from my bed.