Masterchef Australia – Is Amy Peaking At The Right Time And Will Jamie Ever Peak?

After not seeing the show for two weeks it was interesting to see who is peaking during the final weeks. OK I am only going off one episode but Amy, Brent and Ben seemed to be doing well. Sarah looks like she is struggling and Jamie seems to still be trying to do to much on the plate and not in a good way. Has he done one stand out dish this series?

Tonight it was a mystery box with a difference. The was given only one ingredient and then bartering their one ingredient with the other contestants. Suddenly all of Laura’s lemons put her in the power position.

Renae was in a world of pain as she had a basket of sage. She ended up with blue cheese and beetroot and props to her managed to make a nice looking Sage, Beetroot and Blue Cheese Tart which ended up being selected by the judges to taste.

Laura who was refusing to hand over any of her lemons to anyone except Brent decided she was making a lemon curd. And in Masterchef speak after she had made it she was saying it was “textured” when in fact it was lumpy. She was have a disaster over cooking her meringues as well for her Eton Mess. Her dish did not get tasted.

Unfortunately Jamie’s Pear With Walnuts and Bruleed Blue Cheese did not get a tasting. As it would have been interesting to know if his “poached” pear that he roasted, actually cooked in the oven. He had covered it in walnuts and then had put sugar on the cheese and put a blow torch on it. It was one of those that screamed far too much. Gary who was roaming around the benches liked the sugar and cheese combo.

Sarah was told her salad was not going to be adventurous enough so she decided to make a blue cheese tart, it did not get tasted. Amy’s Radicchio, Fennel and Walnut Tortellini with Blue Cheese Cream Sauce looked delicious and restaurant quality. Matt Preston everything that she had done was perfect.

Brent who made his own cheese served it with beetroot, honey and pear. Matt said there were some great flavours in this dish, but the flaw was the texture of the paneer. It was no surprise Amy won.

She then had to choose between modernising either the prawn cocktail, apricot chicken or nouvelle cuisine for the invention test. It would have been interesting to see what they would have done to modernise novelle cuisine – just serve bigger portions? Amy picked Apricot Chicken with Emelia not happy at all as she did not like meat and fruit together. So she ended up barely putting any apricots in her Chicken Oysters with Apricot Dish. The judges said the dish was good but did not fit the brief. Her parsley and garlic mash looked great though.

Ben was trying to deep fry rice balls and the judges were a tad scathing about whether it would work, clearly they had never cooked Arancini. Lucky for Ben it did and it looked delicious. Laura as having an issue with her Apricot Chicken and she was told it looked just like the original version. After going into the pantry with George and getting a pep talk about doing what you know she came out with pancetta, orange and bread to Italianise it. Her dish ended being much praised.

Props to Sarah  for trying something different with her Tamarind Squid Ink marinade. She put it in a soda bottle to infuse the marinade quicker. It did not look good on the plate as it looked like a black lump on some parsley flecked rice. The judges did not like it and said it was a stodgy mess. She walked back to the bench with tears in her eyes but she did not lose her composure.

Tracy was having another is the chicken cooked issue, in fact she burnt it on one side so no surprise when the judges cut into her apricot stuffed chicken it was overcooked. Amy stumped up another delicious dish making  Chicken and Apricot Curry with Crispy Chicken Skin. In fact as someone who is a fan of the original ’70’s version I might have a crack at cooking her version. In fact George was “speechless” for that reason alone she should win. Sarah’s dish was panned by George and Matt Preston said it was stodgy mess.

Renae was making Apricot Chicken Curry as a salad. Not sure what she was thinking and it did not look great. Brent also did something similar but made an apricot jelly but he missed the mark. Again he should get bonus points for doing something original.

It was no surprise Amy was top three as was Ben and Laura. Clearly prosciutto can help any dish. The bottom three were Tracy, Sarah and Emelia. However the twist is if Tracy uses her immunity pin tonight then Renae has to take her place.  This will mean Tracy will be unlikely to play it.

1 Jay 1 { 07.07.14 at 8:26 pm }

Good call Sandii – I just wanted to scream “Gary would you just leave the poor girl alone.” He reminds me of a nerdy teenage boy hanging round a popular girl. Perfectly acceptable in a teenage boy, not a good look on a middle aged man.

2 Grumpy { 07.07.14 at 8:26 pm }

Let me call it first (8.26 EST) – Sarah is stuffed.

3 Sandii { 07.07.14 at 8:33 pm }

Don’t be pulling my leg Grumpy, are you sure?

4 brain dead dave { 07.07.14 at 8:36 pm }

Gary’s just trashed Sarah’s almond meal here. She needs to start crying tout de suite.

Emelia’s been going in harder than Leigh Matthews. So much for the deep shit she was in on the promo.

5 Sandii { 07.07.14 at 8:41 pm }

They had me fooled with the promo.

6 brain dead dave { 07.07.14 at 8:43 pm }

I don’t think even Jehovah can help Renae now.

7 Grumpy { 07.07.14 at 8:52 pm }

Sorry Sandiiiiiiii – Gary did his best to knife Emelia, but it wasn’t enough…and Emelia should have been saved by her cones alone, and not because she had 3 molecules more salt in her caramel than Sarah…but good on Sarah for firstly coming to Melbourne (ha, ha) and then actually working in a kitchen (St Crispin)…I thought Gary would get her a gig, but I think George is the connection at St Crispin…

8 Sandii { 07.07.14 at 8:55 pm }

Gary gives me the shits how he drools over Sarah. Crushing, that for sure

9 Sandii { 07.07.14 at 9:01 pm }

Ps what on earth is George wearing. It looks like he has raided the costume department from phantom of the opera

10 Simon { 07.07.14 at 9:17 pm }

Well, that didn’t play out the way that I’d expected. None of it. Very well played by the person who did the best. Attention to detail really paid off.

11 brain dead dave { 07.07.14 at 9:29 pm }

Yes, not expecting that at all, either.

I had the Zumbo salted caramel Tim Tams, they were a bit of a yawn.

12 Tyroc { 07.07.14 at 9:39 pm }

Well that’s me done watching for another year.

Sarah was the only contestant left who cooked a little differently. This season has been such a disappointment. It started so well, the judges looked motivated, the contestants could (for the most part) actually cook but then Shine just couldn’t help “Fixing” things.

Laura gets the immunity pin when Donovan essentially threw the challenge (very unconvincingly). Then it was downhill from there in regards to my interest. What a waste.

13 Simon { 07.07.14 at 9:40 pm }

Yeah, felt the same way too. Tasted like any other Tim Tam flavour. Zumbo name unfortunately doesn’t carry anywhere near the weight it use to.

Tyroc, got the same sort of feeling. It’s like they started out strong but lost confidence part way through and then fell back into their old bad habits. They can’t help injecting false drama, gimmicks and theatrics.

14 Sandii { 07.07.14 at 9:41 pm }

I don’t think Sarah was that great. Her scotch egg looked nice but that was it.

15 MT { 07.07.14 at 9:47 pm }

I really felt like Emelia was mortified when Ren-nay beat her.

As for Sarah, she was eliminated the first time for a reason!!!

Pardon my not knowing BDD, but what is gice?

16 Tyroc { 07.07.14 at 9:49 pm }

@ MT, It’s the way Manu mispronounces “Guys”

17 Anna { 07.07.14 at 9:55 pm }

Jamie did the betroot dish in the power appron challange, wistch the judars dramer in the series. As I said befor e, I think he is one of the best there, but he lets the preasue get to him time and time again.

18 brain dead dave { 07.07.14 at 9:56 pm }

Thanks ,Tyroc #66. ie “Come on gice , you’ve only got five minutes to plait up!”

Even plum in the mouth Jowl$y says it ad nauseam. He looked to be wearing some kind of corset or possibly back brace tonight, though he looked he was in heaven eating even the inferior cones tonight.

19 Tyroc { 07.07.14 at 10:06 pm }

@ Sandii & MT, I agree Sarah wasn’t the greatest cook but the fact that she tried to use Indian flavors set her apart from the rest of the Top 9. With her gone, we’re left with a bunch of cooks with a similar palate (except maybe Laura). Then again, Gary and George seem to have a European cuisine comfort zone to begin with. How on earth are Asian style contestants meant to succeed with those two ???

Kylie Kwong has brought little to this season. As a mentor she just comes across as patronizing. Then I must admit I’ve never liked her style of cooking. I remember a Back to China special she did, where she cooked for some relatives. It was hilarious how bad her Cantonese was (I spent 15 years growing up in Hong Kong) and the look of shock and horror on the faces of her relatives when she cooked an easy vegetarian dish was just as amusing. It’s pretty insulting in some Cantonese circles to cook with such fanfare and not provide ANY meat. The fact that she was oblivious to this says it all.

20 Maz { 07.07.14 at 10:18 pm }

Shattered, they not only survived but were declared the best… :roll:
Now they will be more obnoxious.

21 Simon { 07.07.14 at 10:39 pm }

MT, her confidence was given a sucker punch. To be expected though not only given that she was so self-confident that she would do well but that everyone else fed into that as well.

However, Emelia being beated out on desserts isn’t anything new. It’s happened often enough that’s it’s almost par for course. Just surprised that Renae was the one to do it this time around. Really thought Emelia had this one in the bag but looks like I bought into her dessert queen story too.

Loved that Renae put so much attention to detail into that salted caramel gelato. It’s like she was really pushing herself because she knew that she’d have to give her all to compete with Sarah and Emelia, not realising by doing so, she surpassed both of them. Love moments like this. Loved it when Tracy did that in her lead up to the power apron too. Not so much after she’d gotten it though.

22 Grumpy { 07.07.14 at 10:39 pm }

I presume Jowl$y is Matt. Hmmmm, he’s looked pretty disinterested last few weeks with Gary (and George) doing a lot of the talking – which is not a great thing…I wonder if Matt’s heart is still in it??? Must get a bit boring after a while…although, given the nosh he gets to eat, hard to find a better gig…and writing cookbooks can’t set you your life on fire….maybe he’s toying with the idea of retirement…he has a relatively young family and might want to send more time with them…or he could open a restaurant and set Le Chat amongst Le Colombe! (drizzled with a nice soss)

23 Wildrice { 07.07.14 at 10:59 pm }

Emilia not winning tonight could mean she is going to win another night; the producers have to mix it up so same person not in front all the time; tonight’s program showed 2 things to me

Sarah wasn’t as good as the program made out but they milked her for all they could as she is so pretty, nice and a good cook (I really like Sarah, I would have been happy if she won)

Renae has been used to the max by the producers for all the tears, stories, underdog etc , so she won’t win

I think this means Emelia will get through to the end (fine with me, I like them all)

24 Simon { 07.07.14 at 11:18 pm }

Guys, while Sarah hasn’t been doing all that well since she’s been back & a little before she was eliminated the first time, she’s done consistently well during the earlier-mid stages of the comp, often being called up for Top 3.

Bearing in mind that she almost didn’t make it into the comp during the Top 24, only just scraping by in the final pressure test. Given that pedigree, to come 9th place she did pretty well, and it wasn’t all due to the golden hand of production. Totally agree that she’d gotten far more air time and attention that what might have been fair or reasonable. Saying that she’s not that good of a cook though seems a little unfair to me.

25 Smythe { 07.08.14 at 2:23 am }

The eliminated one is eliminated again which was somewhat predictable. Thought it would be either Renae or Sarah leaving but surprised that Renae’s was supposedly the best choctop. She did push herself hard and good for her that she didn’t attend to the peanut gallery whose members wanted her to remove the caramel earlier than she did. Emelia was like a machine…..totally focused on the task. I don’t think it helped Sarah that Gary kept hanging around her but then this could have been the same for others w/ one or more Stooges or the chef and just not shown.
As for Sarah….good for her working at St. Crispin and getting real time restaurant experience. AND what a surprise (not)another upcoming cookbook in the works. Congrats to Sarah for making it this far and hoping she is successful in her future endeavors.

Ammunity challenge tonight….hoping that no one gets an ammunity pin but, if they do, at least this is the last ammunity challenge for the season.

26 anonymouse { 07.08.14 at 9:23 am }

I was pleased Sarah went. I am one of the few who likes Renae, she and Ben are probably my favourites (unpopular choices I am well aware) you could see Renae push herself with that caramel, and ignore what everyone else said, and it absolutely paid off. Well deserved.

Emelia was so focused, I can sort of see that she’d actually be a nice person to know. I get the feeling she is 100% focused on what she’s doing when she’s cooking but she seems pretty laid back otherwise.

I noticed Sarah was a lot warmer with the others leaving this time than she was the last time she was eliminated- she only hugged Kira and then left. This time hugs for everyone. Maybe she bonded up beyond her group of skinny hot ladies upon her return. Maybe because she was the only one left …

So a good result all in all! I will be happy if none of them get the pin tonight.

27 Riggedreality { 07.08.14 at 8:13 pm }

I’ve been so grumpy watching the last couple of eps of this farce of a show…that haven’t been able to put pen to paper….but will get ulcers if I don’t shake it off….so will cut the chase & get straight to it.

Penny for my thoughts? Oh & since brevity is in & verbosity out will try to be as brief as possible
Ok so its out now…its going to be Smug(either Sneer or Squeen) Vs Hug(Nonna’s baby) & if Smug Sham really stuffs up in Top 5 then it will be a Catfight between the two cats (oops lovebirds)..Cheshire Vs Bob…nothing to boost the ratings then pit them against one another & if either wins it will be winwin as in their speeches u’ll have the typical “Oh,I would’ve loved to have won but I’m so happy for him,proud of him..…blahblah..” & everyone’s happy..Feel good anyone?
As regards is Amy peaking? …sure she is the new Momma T(Trace) till she lands herself in the elimination for Heston week…
Jamie will peak only when he wins the competition (LOL),if he reaches the finale w/out serving raw/undercooked stuff on his way up.Coz then Shine would’ve to justify his win.
As for anyone taking out the title,bah forget it will be “handed” to them this season.
Ok, more later as have to watch Amy lose her chance of winning the immunity….Holy cow!really wanted Ben to be in the challenge just to shake up things a bit & upset the applecart so to speak…it would have been interesting to see how those dynamics played out…
See ya later, let the cooking charades begin!
PS: This will go down in history as my shortest post EVER for the best EVER cooks on the BESt evah show.Ha Ha

28 Jaycee47 { 07.08.14 at 9:06 pm }

John said he “ran” into the pantry…..would hate to see what he would do if he walked!!!! ….to get some radishio….everyone calls it ra-dik-io….and he’s a chef! You would think he would know how to pronounce it??? Maybe not!

Amy was clearly out of her depth tonight just when I was thinking she was a real contender for the title.