Restaurant Revolution Versus The Hot Plate Starting Tonight

Earlier this year NINE and SEVEN had two reno shows going head to head and now they have their cooking shows, Restaurant Revolution and The Hot Plate, going head to head.

They both start tonight at 7.30pm on their respective channels and both are kinda sorta new formats.

The Hot Plate is about professional cooks/restauranteurs in a state based competition. They get to judge and score the other peoples restaurants along with the new faces to our screen Tom Parker-Bowles and Scott Pickett. My Kitchen Rules much?

Well at least there will be people who have some professional cooking credentials so what could possible go wrong?

Tom Parker-Bowles is a food writer from the UK and son of…. and Scott Pickett is a respected chef from Melbourne. Because every food reality show needs a French judge we see Guilliame on the show as well in the elimination episodes.

See below for the contestants:

Team State Relationship Restaurant Cuisine Style Restaurant Name
Lauren “Lozz”
& Nola “Nols”
VIC Chef & Owner Seafood Wings & Fins
Christina & Tania WA Mother & Daughter Italian Christina’s
Aron & Vanessa NSW Husband & Wife Modern Australian Rocksalt
Marie & Emi QLD Best Friends Japanese Bird’s Nest
Phillipe & Pascal NSW Father & Son French Chez Pascal
Conrad & Liam WA Couple Asian Fusion Duck Duck Moose

On SEVEN they will be kicking off with Restaurant Revolution which is apparently NOT My Restaurant Rules, which I expect it will be a bit like. Teams from each State set up a pop up restaurant to serve real food to real customers. Some teams have up to four and one team i.e. NSW is a young man flying solo.

The host is Jock Zonfrillo  aka hot chef along with experts Neil Perry, Jessica Ho, John Lethlean, and Erez Gordon dishing out advice.

Neil Perry owns a swag of restaurants in Australia, Jessica Ho is a social media expert, John Lethlean is the Australian food critic and some years ago was quite the critic of reality food shows until he was asked to be on one of course.

Lastly Erez Gordon is a restaurant owner, consultant and front of house specialist.

The good thing about both these shows is there are new and fresh faces on our screens to get to know and love and loathe.

The Hot Plate on NINE 7.30pm Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Restaurant Revolution on SEVEN 7.30pm Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

1 Littlepetal { 07.28.15 at 11:19 am }

The few promo that I saw of Hot Plate is just like MKR. Bitchy comments when eating at each other restaurants.

I think I will watch Restaurant Revolution

2 brain dead dave { 07.28.15 at 11:34 am }

I’ve been talked into watching Hotplate. Though The Bachelor will become a priority.

3 weeezza { 07.28.15 at 11:44 am }

I’m with Restaurant Revolution simply because the promo for THP featuring the lady who says ‘my palate’ all the time is a complete turn off.

4 Techhater { 07.28.15 at 11:50 am }

Lp & weeza Snap! Promos have really put me off THP. Will definitely be watching ResRev. I really loved MRR back in the day.

5 Rosie { 07.28.15 at 12:04 pm }

I plan to watch and recap the Hot Plate, at least at first.
I see MRR is being repeated tonight on Seven at 10.30, so I guess I’ll be watching that too. 😀

6 Techhater { 07.28.15 at 12:12 pm }

Out here 10.30 on 72 & 11.30 on 7mate tonight not on 7.

7 all happening { 07.28.15 at 12:23 pm }

It is interesting that several of us have been put off Hot Plate by the previews. I am in the same group. Surely the idea is to entice us to watch?

The Italian mother reminds me of Maria Venutie. I will be watching MRR.

Good to have you back Emma.

8 Justmag { 07.28.15 at 7:56 pm }

I am watching it now and yup looks like MKR.
The reality tv of cooking shows are running out of ideas.
One of the contestant reminds me of Julian Assange.

9 Littlepetal { 07.28.15 at 8:14 pm }

I just turn on and Hot Plate
looks like MKR.

10 brain dead dave { 07.28.15 at 8:21 pm }

If you wanted to know what a T.Rex in a leopard print top looks like , watch Hotplate. Christina’s “worried”, we’re used to “worried”, it ‘s just been done to death.

I kind of agree with Windsong below~ the Hotplate could burn out.

Yeah,Liam/Julian Assange looks like he fell asleep undera lawnmower.

11 Windsong { 07.28.15 at 8:23 pm }

I was bouncing between “Restaurant Revolution” and “Hot Plate” for half an hour, or so, to see which one grabbed my interest.

I eventually settled on “Hot Plate”.

And yeah, it’s MKR with the serial numbers filed off. The mechanics of the competition (even the camera-work and table set-up) is MKR. The only difference is that it’s taking place in established cafes and restaurants, as opposed to people’s houses, but it’s MKR. There’s two judges (one of whom is European) who sit at the end of the table and appraise the food at the end of every meal. The two judges even have meaningful silent glances (just like Pete and Manu). It’s pretty shameless, actually.

The contestants are varied (but they’ve kept MKR’s quota of bitchiness. The token gay couple seem like intelligent guys, but I think their bitchiness — particularly the blond with the Roadrunner haircut — will wear out its welcome in two or three episodes). The only positive for me was the insanely hot son in the French team. Even the other contestants were hitting on him, like, as he was sitting in front of them. I don’t blame them though. Damn.

As Dave just mentioned, the Italian mother and daughter are kind of horrifying in a I-can’t-look-away sense, but yikes.

I feel sorry for the contestants, though. I don’t think this’ll be a ratings winner (people already have MKR, and this year’s MKR lasted for a decade, so I don’t think this will grab the public’s attention as much as channel 9 was hoping), and thusly it’ll be quietly shunted to Gem or something. I hope I’m wrong for the sake of the people who signed up for this gig.

12 Windsong { 07.28.15 at 8:35 pm }

Also, one of the Hot Plate judges (the British guy. His last name is Parker-Bowles. I wonder if he’s related to Camilla?) is a dead ringer for Bill Shorten’s older brother, or something.

And whereas MKR gave us Manu’s hair, we now have this poor fellow’s teeth. They are … unfortunate.

Neither of the judges seems to have much in the way of personality, to be honest.

13 Liberty { 07.28.15 at 8:45 pm }

Tom Parker-Bowles is Camilla’s son I know him from Market Kitchen which he was in for at least a couple of years – Lifestyle channel. I like him. No idea who the other guy is. Is he wearing a toupe?

14 Lulu { 07.28.15 at 8:46 pm }

Windsong @12 Tom P-B is indeed Camillas son

15 brain dead dave { 07.28.15 at 8:48 pm }

The other judge(not Bill Shorten) looks like the psycho from Wolf Creek. His name is Scott Pickett. He’ll be a fence sitter.

16 Lulu { 07.28.15 at 8:53 pm }

I’m sort of baffled by how bad the food seems – don’t they run an actual, functioning restaurant? And why are they stressed by cooking for 10 people?

17 Justmag { 07.28.15 at 9:00 pm }

Liberty, Tom Parker-Bowles reminds me of Bill Shorten.
So far can’t see myself watching every episode of HP.

18 brain dead dave { 07.28.15 at 9:00 pm }

Too bad Manu wasn’t there to enjoy the avalanche of sauce Tania put on that main.Their restaurant must be in a jail or something.

19 Windsong { 07.28.15 at 9:09 pm }

Justmag @17 … I can’t see myself watching any further episodes of HP. It’s just a clone of MKR, and not even a particularly subtle one. The contestants look like they were chosen for their obnoxious/extroverted personalities, and I sat through that once, this year, already.

Thank you to all for clearing up the connection between Bill Shorten and Camilla Parker-Bowles. I figured, how many people in England would have the hyphenated surname “Parker-Bowles”, you know.

Tomorrow I might give “Restaurant Revolution” another try. From what little I saw, I quite liked Dom. I caught the preview for tomorrow night’s episode. It seemed like one of the contestants attacks one of the judges? I’m down with that.

20 Liberty { 07.28.15 at 9:10 pm }

I assume they would be stressed because normally young leopard would be front-of-house and Mamma leopard probably has helpers in the kitchen. Kinda similar to MKR but without the excess drama. I assume they maybe get to eat the food while it’s hot?

21 Littlepetal { 07.28.15 at 9:44 pm }

I am out with Hot Plate. Will watch Restaurant Revolution. I have never watched MRR so this is new to me.

22 Pandy { 07.28.15 at 10:03 pm }

I watched Hot Plate and now catching up on Restaurant Revolution.
So far I don’t like either that much but prefer Hotplate as at least they get straight into it.
The blonde guy is an arrogant so and so, hope he falls flat on his face. I’m liking Camilla’s son Tom, I didn’t know he was a food critic.
With RR, I can’t be bothered watching them having to build the restaurant first and pitch the idea, a mixture of House Rules and Shark Tank!
All these reality shows are running into each other!
Thank God for The Bachelor tomorrow night, I’m all cooked out!

23 Littlepetal { 07.28.15 at 10:17 pm }

I like the build up of Restaurant Revolution. Good to see the teams’ pitching for money. Would give viewers some ideas if you want to run a business.

24 Justmag { 07.28.15 at 10:19 pm }

I actually didn’t know RR was on tonight! I thought it was starting tomorrow night against The Bachelor. I am not liking HP and definitely not a fan of The Bachelor so will watch RR.
Pandy@22, RR sound like its not just cooking but also business strategy.

25 Pandy { 07.28.15 at 10:26 pm }

Probably is LP and Justmag, but I’m just not interested in that at the moment, it might get better as it goes along, I don’t know if I have the stamina to watch them both.
The Bachelor will be a change from cooking, maybe Celebrity Apprentice will be better.

26 Rosie { 07.28.15 at 11:09 pm }

I’ve just sent in a recap of The Hotplate.
It was pretty ordinary (the show, not that I’m claiming anything extraordinary for my recap 😆 ) Just like MKR really.
Only one of the pair is the actual chef, and tonight’s food was pretty crap. So don’t feel as though you missed anything.

27 Nick { 07.29.15 at 10:13 am }

Thanks Rosie for doing recaps of this. Any chance RR or Amanda will be doing MRR? Fingers crossed RR will be doing The Bachelor!

I’m hoping with encores and recaps that I’ll be able to watch and follow all 3 shows, but The Bachelor will be my main focus.

28 all happening { 07.29.15 at 11:10 am }

I watched MRR last night and found the pitching for money interesting. I like most of the contestants so far except the Victorian couple. They are very arrogant and she is a particularly spoilt brat. I can see some would not find it interesting at this time but a necessary part of business. I will be back.
As for HP, I was bored shitless by the sameness of it to MKR. PB and the other judge not doing it for me. The contestants are showing signs of all being obnoxious in their own way. I will watch a couple more eps then decide, but not looking good. Bach doesn’t do it for me. Lots of new foxtel shows to keep me happy.

29 Gabby { 07.29.15 at 4:50 pm }

I watched both and enjoyed MRR the most. I liked the judges and was pleased they were from different aspects of the restaurant trade.
It was interesting to see how they think from the ground up.
I wasn’t impressed with the Taco/Asian Trio, nor were the judges, not sure what their angle is.
Be interesting to see how the solo guy travels but at least he has plenty of money to help him along the way.
All happening I am with you and was bored silly with HP and can’t believe how similar to MKR it is. Same old, same old.
I will keep watching for a while though, I’m a glutton for punishment.

30 Windsong { 07.29.15 at 7:36 pm }

I just had the thought …

Doesn’t Liam look like Josh Thomas in twenty years time (after a few too many break-ups and cosmos)?

31 all happening { 07.29.15 at 9:48 pm }

I really enjoyed watching MRR tonight. This ep was faster moving and loved the menu planing and cooking. The best bit was seeing the 2 from Melbourne get put in their place by the judges. Interesting to see the 4 brothers and sister arguing amongst themselves.
Talking of judges, there is a good balance with the judges in this show. So far so good.

Hope we are going to have a recap for this program.

32 Rosie { 07.29.15 at 10:08 pm }

RR tells me she will recap Rest Rev, and Amanda will recap The Bachelor. :)

33 Adrianna { 07.29.15 at 10:18 pm }

I liked RR as well, especially the judges and their comments.

34 Justmag { 07.29.15 at 10:31 pm }

I watched RR tonight and I quite like it.

AH@31, what is MRR? I didn’t know there is another cooking show on other than THP and RR.

35 Pandy { 07.29.15 at 10:32 pm }

Bachelor was good tonight, as usual there is always a big mouth show off amongst the girls, this time it was Sandra.
With Hotplate tonight, I didn’t like the looks of all the creamy buttery food, and brains, yuck!
Not my cup of tea.

36 all happening { 07.30.15 at 7:24 am }

Justmag, I had a bit of a senior moment as I got confused by RR (restaurant revolution) and RR(reality ravings). I combined restaurant revolution and my restaurant rules.

37 Justmag { 07.30.15 at 12:01 pm }

AH, all good and thank you! :)
I often have my Asian platinum blonde moment too ?