Guest Post – The Hot Plate – Brisbane Cooks

SEVEN is having to wait until the end of the week to see if they have managed to get The Hot Plate pulled of the air. Until then read Rosie’s fantastic recaps:

Whew! It seems we have survived the legal stoush, so let’s get on with finding out which one is Emi and which is Marie. Or is that just me? Probably. Oh well. I suppose I should know, seeing they come from Brisvegas, and I do know the name of every other single resident of Brisbane. 😉

On with the show. Okay, I sorta know which is which. Emi is the chef.

Liam is looking forward to innovative food.

Nols says she has an open mind but won’t try raw food. Um, that sounds more snapped shut than open to me, sweet cheeks.

One of the mains will be will be yakitori which are chicken arteries. Emi knows it’s risky serving arteries, which are the top part of chicken heart. Another of the yakitori (which just means things on sticks) will be chicken skin, another plain chicken, but sauced up somehow, and I’m not sure what the other two will be.

The desserts they are preparing (and pretending they don’t know the judges will order: eye roll) are ginger infused creme caramel. Emi curdles the egg the first time she makes it. They are fine the second time.

The judges arrive. Scott comments on West End, and it is so odd to see them in West End which is where we go for coffee all. The. Time. Their restaurant is only a wee bit past the main drag where there are so many restaurants and coffee shops. And book shops and other interesting places. I agree with Scott’s point about their putting tables on the footpath and thus gaining more custom.

The others arrive immediately after and what is Tania wearing? A skin tight leopard skin top, of course. Barely covering her chesticles.

Christina is secretly hoping they won’t do that well tonight.

Liam says if he didn’t like them that much he’d hate their guts.

Christina says (with her nose in the air) that she won’t be able to eat arteries or skin. I’m presuming her precious palate won’t like it. *smirk*

Scott selects the beef tataki as his entreé, while Tom goes for the trio of appetizers. They are a Japanese omelette, Japanese style paté and crispy chicken crackers.

For mains, Scott chooses rack of lamb with miko sauce. Tom selects five skewers. Scott has the Japanese style crème caramel for dessert and Tom goes for the tofu omelette.

Scott asks Nols will she try beef tataki. Amazingly she says she’ll give it a go. Good for her!

Christina doesn’t like sweet omelettes. Now why am I not surprised? And why are my eyes rolling out of their sockets? She says her entreé (which looks large for an entreé to me, if anything, but then she’d have to actually eat it all…) is too small. And she can’t eat omelettes that are too sweet. Poppet, did you not notice you are in a Japanese restaurant?

Nols tries on her big girl pants and eats the beef. So good on her.

Pascal prefers his dad’s omelette. Eh, he’s just being loyal.

Aron thinks it’s because they want the girls to be top of the leaderboard tonight not them.

Scott tells Emi that the beef only has a few key components. If one is wrong, it all goes wrong. He had high expectations for this dish and she did deliver. The ponzu sauce was slightly acidic and so did not need the slice of lemon on top, that was all. Tom had the trio of appetizers for his entreé. He says the crispy chicken crackers were great. He failed to see the Japanese component to the paté, but the omelette was perfect.

Nols hopes they stuff up with their main courses. Gee, thanks, Nols. Christina hopes they do too. She can’t even look at arteries or chicken skin.

Phil used to be a belly dancer. They call for a demo. He stays seated and wobbles the fat on his belly around. Not exactly edifying to look at.

Hang on, hold the phone! I’ve got the Emi/Marie names wrong. Sigh. MARIE is the chef – the one with the white headband. Sorry everyone. And if for some embarrassing reason you are reading this, Emi and/or Marie, I offer you my humble apologies.

Marie That name again: Marie! Serves the lamb medium rare for all.

Nols tries the arteries! Wow, she has come a long way! Great going, Nols!

Liam has the Indiana Jones feeling as he’s eating the arteries but wants to show the others he can eat it.

Christina says the lamb at Philippe’s was much better than this.

Liam says the lamb was the dish of competition so far.

Christina took it as a slap on the face.

The girls come for their critique.

Scott says taking the lamb and pairing it with miso is risky, while adding whole head garlic even riskier but she pulled it off. And the cooking of the lamb was perfect. Tom says the cooking was fantastic. Artery is an unattractive name, but tasted wonderful and the broth was wonderful; right up there with the best.

Christina thinks she’s on another planet, because her palate doesn’t like that food. So perhaps you should go back to the planet you came from? You know, the one where they serve mush that they call minestrone… I didn’t even slap myself for that because I didn’t think it necessary. Harrumph.

They have said desserts are their weak point so will they be?

Liam says whenever they’ve eaten Japanese, desserts are their weak point, so he believes they may well be.

The desserts are served.

Vanessa says the desserts smell weird.

Nols says the ginger is too overpowering to anythink [sic] else.

Philippe was most offended that they called the creme caramel by a French name. And his was not set.

Scott’s ginger crème caramel was cooked perfectly. At first he had a big hit of ginger, then lost it. Tom says  when you say donuts, people expect sweetness and lightness. These were heavy and stodgy, not the desserts he was hoping for.

The scores:

Aron and Vanessa – 5/10

Philippe and Pascal – 6/10

Lozz and Nols – 6/10

Liam and Conrad – 8/10

Christina and Tania – 2/10 (bitches!)

Total – 27/50

Scott:

Food – 8/10

Restaurant experience – 8/10

Total – 16/20

Tom:

Food – 8/10

Restaurant experience – 9/10

Total – 17/20

Grand total – 60/90

Lozz and Nols are up next with some (gitcha Aussie accents on here, fellas) good old Aussie seafood, fresh from the plane.

1 Littlepetal { 08.05.15 at 11:51 am }

Thanks again, Rosie. Please take care of your eyes. Too much rolling around. LOL.

I only watch bits and pieces of this show. The contestants are worse than those on MKR and people complained about MKR but seems to like the nastiness of this show. Wonder is more of a Ch 9 against Ch 7 thing.

2 peski { 08.05.15 at 12:27 pm }

If it wasn’t for these recaps, I wouldn’t have any idea of what’s going on in this show…

I swear I’m sitting down in front of the tv while it’s playing but not much actually makes an impression so I struggle to remember what even happened.

Thanks Rosie

3 Lulu { 08.05.15 at 12:34 pm }

Hi Rosie – Wow I .ive in West End too – so cool to see it on screen.i don’t get why Tom ordered the trio of entrees if he doesn’t like Japanese omelette? I think Aron and Vanessa are shaping up to be the villains of the piece – a lot of their whispered comments are awfully rude. Can’t wait to see how Loz and Nols go tonight

4 brain dead dave { 08.05.15 at 12:53 pm }

I think dropping your guts is one thing at the dinner table but Phil went a bit far letting his guts hang out like that. How it stacks up against those sturdy leopard prints being stretched to the absolute limit every night, I’m not sure.

Christina is really living the leopard dream with the snarly, hissing comments but really, looking at her she should be decked out in a sloth print outfit. She arced up like a wild cat when the word “articulate” was floated past her precious palate.

Thanks , Rosie. What a champion you are.

I’m in exactly the same boat as peski. I’m watching but a lot of it is just floating past like culinary driftwood. Maybe ‘cos I’ve seen this movie on MKR before.

5 Carole { 08.05.15 at 3:40 pm }

Thanks again Rosie.

Not a big fan of Japanese food so wouldn’t have liked much of the food. Some of the skewers looked ok, the meat ball & the normal chicken one. Hate pate & no way would I have eaten the arteries. The omelette I could take it or leave it. I’ve never had a sweet one so don’t know what I would think of it.

As for the creme caramel, I’m with Phillip, don’t taint it with ginger. I hate ginger & ity doesn’t sound like it was just a little bit but overpowered it. Phillip was hilarious with his rant about it. And the donuts looked absolutely revolting.

Looking forward to tonights seafood girls. Finally something even fussy Christine likes, judging from then promos.

6 Bel { 08.05.15 at 4:00 pm }

Many thanks Rosie, you’re so good at this!

Christina reminds me of a walrus for some reason. Wouldn’t want her rushing up to give me a hug, I’d fling myself aside in fright. And she keeps reminding me that palate rhymes with mallet.

I like Liam & Conrad. There, I said it. They’re hilarious.

7 Gabby { 08.05.15 at 4:14 pm }

Thanks Rosie for great recap.
The girls did a great job and Christina was shown to be totally ignorant. To not like a food is one thing but not to appreciate another cultures menu that is done extremely well, bar the desert, just shows her and her ignorant daughter for what they are, nasty pieces of work.
I can’t wait to see her and her palate in the cook off and finally hit the road home.
I am looking forward to see what Loz and Nols do with their lobster and other seafood. They have fine produce to work with.

8 Bolders { 08.05.15 at 6:01 pm }

It’s weird hearing someone refer to their body part as having a separate opinion.

Christine doesn’t say ” I don’t like this ” as much as she says “My palate doesn’t like this”.

Did her palate arrive on a separate space ship?

9 all happening { 08.05.15 at 6:07 pm }

I noticed the menu seems a bit different on internet to what was shown last night. The girls may have tweaked it after the critics talked. They did a great job last night. Their skills were amazing when making the omelet.
Christina and her palate are totally ignorant. Love trying new foods. Very few I don’t like. Brussel sprouts is my least favorite food.

10 Pandy { 08.05.15 at 6:24 pm }

Christina and Tania were terribly mean spirited in only giving 2 points. The meal was obviously worth more than that. This type of judging shouldn’t be allowed by the judges, it should be fair.
Even though this Japanese food is “not for my palate”, the meat was too raw for me, I could see the work that went into it, and the presentation was spot on.
Even the desserts looked amazing even if they didn’t taste so good.
Should be good tonight.

11 Veronica { 08.05.15 at 6:25 pm }

Thanks Rosie for another brilliant recap.

I like the girls very much and would be excited to go to their restaurant. And even more so now I know it’s in West End.

I thought the entrees and mains looked good but would have been disappointed with the desserts. However, I understand the Japanese don’t do desserts so would go somewhere else for something chocolatey. I used to know a Japanese lady who, if she wanted something sweet, she would drink a cup of coffee with sugar in it.

Bel @6 Walrus yes indeed!

12 Windsong { 08.05.15 at 7:11 pm }

Christina and Tania do seem like jerks, really (particularly Christina). I used to think Conrad and Liam were the bitchy contestants, but wow, Christina. If she doesn’t personally love it, then it’s objectively the most horrible meal ever created. To be honest, I’m liking Conrad and Liam more and more after their own restaurant disaster. I mean, everything in context. Christina is just so much more bitchy and nasty than them. And with Liam and Conrad, there was at least a sense of self-awareness about it. Christina just comes across as an obnoxious jerk.

So last week, I predicted that “The Hot Plate” would get quietly shunted to Gem. But this week, “Restaurant Revolution” has been replaced by a show about cats, while “The Hot Plate” might get punted through copyright infringement. Hah! Oh dear.

13 all happening { 08.05.15 at 7:30 pm }

I don’t think it would matter with Christina if she loved something, she would still criticize and score badly just to “make herself look better”. Well to her palate anyway. Just a bitch. I am liking Conrad and Liam too. A bit of tongue in cheek from them but they are willing to accept criticism.

14 brain dead dave { 08.05.15 at 7:55 pm }

Bring it on Hotpalate(tm)

15 brain dead dave { 08.05.15 at 8:06 pm }

Oh shit, I hate people who look at you ,talk and (try to ) drive at the same time. Fail for Lozz and Nollsy there on the highway to hell..

16 dawni { 08.05.15 at 8:27 pm }

Nolsy Nolsy Nolsy. I am getting sick of hearing the name “nolsy” tonight. Talk about overkill. I know it is her name but does Lozz have to say it at the end of every sentence ? Anyone else getting annoyed or is it just me being a grumpy old woman ?

17 brain dead dave { 08.05.15 at 8:56 pm }

“Nolsy’s” got a lot of bad memories ,for me at least. Lozz and Nolsy are copies of the two ladies from Mt Isa on you guessed it, MKR.

It must be grating hearing it ad nauseam, though I have subtitles enabled.

Nolsy , Nolsy , Nolsy

Oi! Oi! Oi!

Cray Me A River.

18 all happening { 08.05.15 at 9:08 pm }

dawni, it must be 2 grumpy old women getting annoyed by the Nol word. I was expecting a little lower score for the lobster given the fresh water wash, it must have tasted ok. I am not sure I would go to Wings and Fins as a result of tonights delights.
Boy a pretty pricey menu. Nolsey’s chicken breast is $25.90. The seafood platter has no cray but still $120.

19 Windsong { 08.05.15 at 9:09 pm }

At least Tania left the leopard-print at home tonight.

20 Littlepetal { 08.05.15 at 9:10 pm }

Conrad and Liam are like Rudd and Dr Evil.

Even the cook off is like MKR. Team black versus Team White.

21 brain dead dave { 08.05.15 at 9:12 pm }

Latex in the parfait. That’s pretty kinky.

I’m mesmerised by the mother leopard’s eyebrows and whether they are tattooed on.

22 Pandy { 08.05.15 at 9:59 pm }

Can’t believe a restaurant owner has never cooked prawns before, and because Nolsy hates spicy food everyone else should too.
I would have eaten the chicken, but not the crayfish, is it wrong to feel sorry for them in the tank?
Christina sure likes her salt!

23 Rosie { 08.05.15 at 10:39 pm }

New recap sent. I was a teensy bit bitchy in it, I’m sorry to say.

24 Smythe { 08.06.15 at 7:03 am }

Animal printesses are real b*tches. AND I don’t want to hear any more about the big cat’s palate. Marie and Emi deserved much better than the 2 those two offered up. Christine’s comment about the silver skewers was hysterical. This is a Japanese restaurant not a bbq or shish kebab place. These two need to have more opened minds and Christine needs a palate readjustment.
Good on Nols for trying the arteries.

25 all happening { 08.06.15 at 7:30 am }

Oh Pandy how could you miss eating crayfish, it is lovely cooked well. The Chicken Nolesy looked ‘fowl’. Sorry I had to do it. No it looked like a very big blob of tasteless pumpkin. The entrees both sounded under whelming with no flavour. Just because Noles owns the restaurant, surely she should leave flavour adjustment to the chef. She is not eating it.

26 Zhee { 08.06.15 at 9:08 am }

Leotards are psychic! They surely also believe that ignorance is bliss.

Somehow I still think that Liam and Conrad will be booted first. And the two overly tanned valkyries will stay. I suppose I will then just stick to Rosie’s awesome recaps (<3) and not watch it any longer.
I suppose Christina will soon cry in the media that they edited her in a mean way and she didn't behave badly at all!

Enjoyed Emi and Marie's night quite a lot, especially as I love Japanese food. Already looking forward to my vacation and having a go at the best Japanese restaurant I have ever eaten in (okay, I admit I have never been in Japan, so I only had the Euro-tainted food so far). 😀