Revealing Interview With Bonnie Lythgoe about why her marriage to Nigel Lythgoe fell apart.
The Melbourne Herald Sun has a very revealing article with Bonnie Lythgoe, judge from So You Think You Can Dance Australia highlighting why her marriage to Nigel Lythgoe fell apart.
If she is hoping for a reconciliation (which I thought was on the cards) she may have wanted to be a bit more circumspect.
Some quotes from the article:
- Lythgoe says Nigel liked being the leader and so her career always came
second to his. “˜”˜He’s denied me a lot of roles and … it saddens me, because
I’m so supportive of him and just wanted him to give me that same support back
and he didn’t,” she says.
- Lythgoe says her husband didn’t seem to want her to
be on the SYTYCD judging panel and would cut her off mid-sentence, leaving her
feeling insecure and full of self-doubt.
- “˜”˜The good thing with Nigel is that he can do a show with me and at the end of the day he can walk away and forget about it,” she says. “˜”˜I couldn’t. I was taking it home with me and I was getting more and more upset and more and more frustrated.”
- Lythgoe says Nigel’s growing fame made their rift worse.
- “˜”˜I need somebody to put their arms around me and love me just for me,” she says. “˜”˜We all need to be told that we’re loved and Nigel kind of didn’t have the time. Though I knew he loved me, he didn’t have the time for me. “˜
- “˜We used to go out for dinner, and I’m a real romantic, some candles and a nice glass of wine mean everything to me. Nigel’s on the phone half the night making this person feel OK or that person feel OK. Well what about me? I want to feel OK too. It was a problem for me.
- “˜”˜Sometimes I’d be on his arm and I felt like Mrs Cellophane. They’d look right through me. I was just nobody.”
- Lythgoe says it was only after she found independent success as a judge on the UK series E4 School of Performing Arts that she felt confident enough to work on SYTYCDA.
- “˜”˜I’d been knocked down so much by Nigel that I got to the stage where I thought I was probably not very good,” she says.”So I did this E4 series and I just grew and grew and felt so comfortable. It gave me the most amazing confidence.”
- Lythgoe now hopes that her success on SYTYCDA may help to reunite her with her husband.
Full article here
I like her honesty, but I am not sure what Nigel would think if he read the article.