MasterChef Australia – Has It Turned Into A Farce?

To think in a previous blog post I called MasterChef Australia a reality TV show for grown ups.

I had been under the impression this show was about finding the best cook. But now there is a farcical situation occurring where the team members have to decide who will be eliminated.

The judges gave the blue team a pep talk about choosing wisely, but you know by week four people will start voting strategically, and alliances will form.

Melissa Lutton, who was the one eliminated, admitted when she voted that she was voting on personality. Young Kate after her vote burst into tears and walked off the set. Personally I think the contestants should have voted Sam off just to show the producers what a dumb idea this was.

Top Chef would never allow this fuckery to occur.

1 Millie { 05.07.09 at 11:03 pm }

They’ve subverted their aim to make more interesting tv. There’s no reason why the judges couldn’t just pick one person to leave every week, but that’d be boring.

I would have laughed my head off if they voted Sam off.

2 Injera { 05.07.09 at 11:36 pm }

Agree, RR, but having made the Top Chef comparison all I can say is that if all the decent chefs had been voted off by their competitors, the winner would have been Hosea.

Oh.

How did that happen?!

3 kim at allconsuming { 05.08.09 at 12:14 am }

I am just so disappointed at what they’re doing.

I mean, the UK version was – IS – awesome. It is about up-skilling people, it is about FOOD.

Perhaps I was naive but it had never occurred to me they would alter the format – particularly going off how successful the UK version is.

Am just more and more relieved each and every day that I didn’t get through – if I found myself trapped in what they’re doing I think I’d just walk.

Didn’t even watch it tonight. And that is saying something.

4 Bugmum { 05.08.09 at 8:47 am }

Have to say I’m in agreement. Loved the UK version to bits and am disappointed to see this basically be a foodie version of Biggest Loser or Big Brother etc etc etc. Love the “challenge” episodes…hate the overwrought drama of the eliminations.

5 Injera { 05.08.09 at 9:08 am }

According to Twitter, yesterday’s letters page of the Green Guide (Age TV liftout) was filled with complaints about the format of Masterchef. All from lovers of the REAL Masterchef. I’m going to have to find a copy somewhere…

There are things that annoy me about the REAL Masterchef, but those things are starting to look like lovable eccentricities in comparison with this travesty.

6 Anonymous { 05.08.09 at 11:42 am }

Yep, it’s a total farce. Channel Ten are fools. Combining all the different Aussie reality tv shows into one is a joke. When I watch the show I expect “I know you’re hurting… Feels like you’re learning…” etc to start up. Really, it’s quite pathetic. The Survivor-esque voting is ridiculous. Imagine if that happened in SYTYCD. All the good dancers would leave and then you’d be stuck with Penny taking the title. *vomit*

7 Culinary Boner { 05.08.09 at 12:01 pm }

Why don’t Channel 10 just ‘jump the shark’ now and get the former fatties from Biggest Loser in as guest tasters?….

Perhaps also a cameo for this year’s Biggest Wanker, Jason Coleman.

8 Reality Raver { 05.08.09 at 12:40 pm }

I just spoke to Channel Ten and they said there will be two eliminations a week. Monday nights the judges pick one to go, and Thursday the contestants pick one to go.

The pros the judges can get rid of the weak contestants. The cons there is still nothing stopping the contestants eliminating a strong competitor.

I wonder if they will have a wildcard re-entry of chefs back into the competition. Like they did with The Biggest Loser?

9 Injera { 05.08.09 at 1:56 pm }

God, I think I will hurl myself from the nearest window if they allow eliminated chefs back in. Losing two a week means that there are only nine more weeks after this and for that I am grateful! If I have to erase the date I’ve circled on my calendar because it’s been padded out with wildcards, I’ll be cross.

God, MC, why can’t I just… look… away… ?

10 Cass Ward { 05.08.09 at 10:38 pm }

Why do Australian TV Producers think that Australian viewers can’t just watch a show where people cook, judges eliminate them and the winner of each episode goes through to the finals. Why do we need everyone living together, challenges, contestant voting etc. This is so like an amateur Top Chef it’s ridiculous.

11 Disappointed { 07.01.10 at 6:58 pm }

i watch masterchef religiously but not any more. what other “contest” allows eliminated contestants to come back and potentially win. what a lot of rubbish! i can imagine fifa telling england to come back in the quarter finals – what stupidity.