MasterChef Australia – Kate Falls On Her Sword

Did Kate do the honourable thing by falling her sword and eliminating herself from MasterChef? I actually give her props for doing it.  She said “I don’t want to take someone else’s dream away from them. I’m going to go home.”.

If I had been in Kate’s position I would have had no hesitation about voting for Sandra and probably would have derived some pleasure from it, but then maybe I have seen far to many seasons of Survivor.

Also when are the contestant’s going to wise up and start voting off the stronger contenders. Kate was never going to win the title so keep her on and vote off Sam or Tom. The excuse as why they were the weakest in the challenge could have been Sam tried to take over the leadership role so caused confusion or for Tom that he did all the shopping before coming back to drop off the ingredients hence shortening the amount of prep time the team had.

The mystery of the risotto was confusing Sam and Kate were implying 50 portions were unable to be sold, whereas Sandra said they were for sale. Did it matter the risotto was not up to scratch?  I am sure it would have been fine for the crowd at the Royal Easter Show who would have been full of trans fat from their dagwood dogs.

Also who was the culprit who did not produce the dessert they had planned? That would have impacted on the amount of dollars the blue team raked in.

After making the decision, Kate said: “I think I stopped believing that I could win this and that I deserve to be here.”

Sam who has now lost one of his ally’s said: “I’m sorry to see her go. She’s young. She has huge potential but she is at peace with her decision and I’m proud of her.”

Back at home, Kate now plans to enrol in an international pastry school and is looking at Corden Bleu in Paris.

Finally as pointed out by commenters CG and RetroGirl on yesterday’s MasterChef Australia’s post there did appear to be a hickey or as we used to say love bite,  on Sam’s neck. Isn’t he a bit old to have one I thought only 14 year olds gave and received them. If it was his wife is not going to be happy, but he should have been smart enough to wear a polo neck or cover up with foundation.

1 Injera { 05.28.09 at 10:27 pm }

I’m glad Kate’s gone and I think the logic behind Sam’s voting for Sandra was mightily flawed. Sure, she screwed up the risotto, but Kate was a weak leader and the leader has had to bear the brunt of failure when he and Kate have been in the losing team before. Even in his “justification speech” (god, why do the producers insist on the gormless Woi-oi’m-voting-for-you-is… crap?) he said that the risotto was one of the reasons they lost. And the others? Were Kate. So shut up, Sam.

Stupid, stupid, stupid having one of the people who’s tied make the decision. Surely there should have been a loophole where, if you were the captain and up for elim, a judge – jesus, they pay these people, get them to earn their keep by making a decision! – would make the call. Only fair.

Loved that the Reds seemed more shocked by the fact that it was a close vote than that Kate voted herself out!

Oh, and Sam? Saying you’re “proud” of someone is just plain patronising…

2 CG { 05.28.09 at 10:34 pm }

ding dong the witch is gone! very happy to see kate go. i was at first tempted to give her props for taking herself out over Sandra..but then i wondered if she is just looking out for herself, realising that she wasn’t going to win ’cause she can’t cook anything other than desserts and she took herself out in an attempt to gain favour and establish a post-reality show career along the lines of elisabeth hasselbeck?

i actually thought Sandra was going to pipe up at the last second and volunteer to go because she misses her family, etc. there had been rumors that someone was going to leave this week because they couldn’t handle it anymore? so is someone else gonna go this week?

most disappointed in trevor. he’s got no spine and got too-easily sucked into the kiddie mafia and this will come back to bite him. unclear if they threw out some risotto batches or not. but even if they did – kate said 50 serves were wasted? – if this is true that would be another $150 – they lost the challenge by more than $300. and i agree that in addition to kate’s poor leadership abilities, she f*cked up the dessert by not coming up with simple idea they could execute. so she doesn’t get any sympathy from me for taking herself out. trevor should have deducted this. it was definitely her time to go and she should have gone during the squid challenge when the judges kicked out michelle.

i fear i may now may be craving the Kate drama in coming weeks if things get boring. but i suspect the drama will heat up with Poh. she is another one i dislike and who IMO has gotten by by flirting with the judges and some of the male contestants.

3 Reality Raver { 05.28.09 at 10:55 pm }

CG – I definately think you are right about Poh, I reckon she is going fire up soon. Some of those looks she gives.

I was surprised Trevor voted for Sandra too.

Injera – Yes I agree re: Sam being patronising. I think since he won the first challenge all those weeks ago that his ego has expanded. I like the way they have to explain their reasons even though sometimes it is lame. It means they have to justify their actions. By the way it was obvious the producers knew who was voting for who by the way the were placed at the table.

I checked out that tweet you did re: Sam’s wife wedding dress. Holy toledo she spent $5500 on a wedding dress. But her figure must be smoking hot with the measurements she gave. Which would make me think Sam was NOT doing fun times with Kate.

4 CG { 05.28.09 at 11:11 pm }

one of the other blogs confirmed sam’s wife visited him on the weekend before the easter show epi. so assumption is that love bite is from his wife, not katie-poo. sam getting some ‘luvin’ might also explain his newly aggressive and overly-confident and cocky attitude this week?

5 Reality Raver { 05.28.09 at 11:32 pm }

CG – LOL you may be right about his attitude. Didn’t the wife know that it was going to be seen by over 1 million viewers? Just as well the voting public are not deciding who to punt.
If she is allowed to visit, it must mean the other families are allowed to visit, which would be good for Sandra who has the young kids.

6 cosmetik { 05.29.09 at 8:28 am }

leave sam alone kate pleeeeeease, you are driving me cra-a-a-zy

7 Wurstsemmel { 05.29.09 at 9:57 am }

I hoped, I hoped and it came true! Kate is a goner, although that’ll now put an end to the ‘Kiss me Kate’ episodes with fellow kiddie-mafioso Sam for those who enjoyed the drama and the mystery hickey. Perhaps we can get back to focusing on the food.

I fear not not though…surely more shenanigans are brewing with Po, a schemer if ever I saw one.

Like to see Sam gone next.

8 Injera { 05.29.09 at 9:58 am }

CG, good point about Trev being sucked in by the KM. He interviewed that he was torn between Kate and Sandra – surely he should have noticed by now that Kate’s failed more often than she’s succeeded, but maybe he was being loyal to another Westralian.

As for the 50 missing risottos, I think they did a thumb suck and came up with the number 50 so they could say “they would’ve won” – they were charging a pretty hefty sum (I think it was $6 a serve) which means it would have been close. I think if they’d really discarded food we would have seen it – I’m pretty sure they said they’d sold everything just as time was called. Didn’t see them turning punters away, now!

9 bella vita { 05.29.09 at 2:24 pm }

thank goodness Kate is gone..will be interesting to see how Sam goes now now that the kiddie mafia is gone.
Now if we can just rid of Aaron

10 Mary { 05.29.09 at 2:47 pm }

I hate to bring this up again, but the more I see Sarah’s cameo appearances, the more I think they regretted having her host. I’m sure she is a lovely person, but as far as presenting goes – she is woeful. I don’t want to be too “la-de-dah”, but her diction is the worst I’ve heard on TV! If I have to hear her say “leaving the competition” or “leave-in the comtishion” again I think I will scream!!!! This makes me think that they down-sized her role after they played back the first few tapes.

11 Belle { 05.29.09 at 3:00 pm }

The Woman’s Day twitter explains the bite – I saw it today

12 Injera { 05.29.09 at 3:12 pm }

Raver – can we get a third option for the poll? Yes, Kate did the right thing, but that doesn’t change my opinion of her!

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah – did anybody else notice how far away from the contestants she stood? It seemed ridiculous. Agree with Mary – stick with the print media!

13 Sue Yeap { 05.29.09 at 3:27 pm }

Hi, I met Kate in Perth this morning and can confirm she definitely did not give Sam the hickey, nor did his wife. Josh did as a joke after a big night when he came to visit during Easter break. They were allowed to see families/friends during that time but obviously that has not been shown as part of the show. Hope this helps end speculation!

14 Reality Raver { 05.29.09 at 5:03 pm }

Ok HickeyGate appears to be solved thanks Sue Yeap.

Also confirmed by Kate on her twitter account http://twitter.com/KateRodrigues
She tweeted: @Helen_Maher The hickey occurred over Easter when Josh was in Sydney…He flew back to see us!

Injera – I was thinking of a third along the lines that you suggested, except had a brain freeze at the time and couldn’t quite get it together. Sorry. I am a bit sorry I missed the whole saga that was Kate.

Mary and Injera – Disagree re: Sarah yes it had crossed my mind that she sometimes seems to have a speech impediment, but I think her role should be expanded.
Gary Mehigan seems to be the one taking the lead and is having a pseudo host role. I must confess that by watching so much MasterChef that I have become like Pavlov’s dog that I am seeing so much of Gary I am starting to think he is a bit of a sort.

15 eskimojo { 05.29.09 at 6:05 pm }

As I said via Twitter – my opinion is like Big Brother when he’s accepting eviction Nominations: if you want to nom yourself then you’re saying you don’t deserve to be in the house at all.

Whether Kate or Sandra is the better cook is now irrelevant – Kate made the decision to go, therefore she didn’t want it enough to deserve to win.

Re Sarah, I’ve noticed some less than perfect diction too but it doesn’t really bother me – it just annoys me that she’s there as the token pretty female. If she’s there to be the host then let her host and let the others judge.

16 CG { 05.29.09 at 9:48 pm }

I don’t have problem with Sarah’s skills…but I do think she should be one of the judges – at least one some of the days/ types of competitions.

So relieved Kate is gone. Watched tonights show. Poh is definitely gonna be the next big ‘drama’.

Re hickey-gate. Josh sounds like a cover-up for Kate? LOL.

17 Reality Raver { 05.30.09 at 10:25 pm }

Still not getting it why Sarah is not judging the food, as in the pre- publicity frenzy of the show it was said numerous times how she knew food because she used to do food reviews.

Eskimojoe – do you think Kate really wanted to go? Or didn’t have the guts to put the knife into Sandra. I think the former she probably had enough of the emotional rollercoaster that is MasterChef Australia.

18 robert { 02.18.10 at 7:15 am }

hi just star watching in england and could not beleive my eye when i saw kate, i met here over here in oxford when she stayed in a small hotel i was running . sad to see here go, what a small world it is realy is i hope u can psass this on to her so she knows we were hopping she would win. many thanks