Sabrina Batshon – Love Her Or Hate Her She Definitely Can Sing

Sabrina Batshon has had me intrigued since she auditioned for Australian Idol this year, and I still cannot decide whether I like her or loathe her. Which probably means I want her to get into the top 12 so I can work it out.

She has been a professional performer and site that I don’t think is to accurate indicates that she might have know Australian Idol judge Jay Dee Springett prior to the show. But more on that later.

She has apparently been performing for quite some time, but her career was interrupted when she was admitted to a psychiatric ward for depression and suicidal tendencies(well that is what I have interpreted what her admission was for from the chatter on the show). I was curious to find out about the girl in the cut off shorts, the penchants for glitter, and the underlying vulnerability.

I found this article on Wikibin but am not sure of the veracity of it considering they stuffed up the year of her birth. She was born in 1984 not 1964.

But it had a couple of interesting things:

• She was understudy to Nikki Webster in the Wizard of Oz,
  • In 2001 Batshon confirmed that she does reject the rigid labels of homosexuality and famously declared ” love is fluid”, elucidating a long held belief that she is not strictly heterosexual and accepts both genders as being sexually attractive to both genders. Please note she went to Newtown High of Performing Arts and that is what they all say there, and by the way I don’t care if she is Bi or gay.

But this is the most interesting paragraph is this one:

Batshon’s Talent has most recently attracted Barbra Streisand’s Manager Marty Erlichman and Australia’s Sony Artist Director Jay Dee Springbett.

If Jay Dee Springbett did know her prior to Australian Idol he definitely needs to declare it.  It is possible this page could have been updated since the met during the top 100 week.

Whether she gets in to the top 12 or not she has added some interest to this season show.

1 trace { 08.27.09 at 9:00 pm }

you can find at that link that she was signed up by barbara streisand’s company

2 Anonymous { 08.27.09 at 9:41 pm }

Eh, the Jay Dee stuff sounds mostly like a rumour.

3 BB { 08.28.09 at 12:42 am }

There is mention of Sabrina here on a cache copy from the Sony Music promo for a concert back in 2004.
website———

and

Sony Foundation

“The Sony Foundation is very pleased to be sponsors of the TDP. The skills and the creative environment Mary Lopez and her team provide to the students is world class. The talented artists that TDP discovers and develops are very well placed to achieve leading careers in many areas of the entertainment industry. Human Nature and Paulini, who have established premier recording artists credentials with SONY BMG, are two fine examples of the TDP program.”

Denis Handlin AM
Governor Sony Foundation

4 Reality Raver { 08.28.09 at 1:32 am }

BB – you are amazing. Thank you.

By the way have you heard rumour that Big Brother is coming back next year on Channel 7. I saw something on Youtube but I cannot find anything else. Have you heard anything?

5 BB { 08.28.09 at 12:12 pm }

Yes, I too saw the video.
All a bit of a mystery!

6 Anonymous { 08.29.09 at 9:43 am }

you are an idiot

7 Reality Raver { 08.29.09 at 12:05 pm }

Anonymous – I am not sure which part of the post you have taken exception to.

I think I say the source I am citing I don’t hold in much regard. However for fairness sake if Jay Dee Springbett had interacted with her prior to Australian Idol both of them should be upfront about it.

8 Reality Raver { 08.29.09 at 12:06 pm }

By the way I should add I am happy Sabrina did get into the top 12.

9 ttt { 09.06.09 at 9:31 pm }

She is like the only exciting performer this year. And Scott Newnham WTF. He sucks.

10 mary { 09.27.09 at 10:51 pm }

Look, I have just watched idol tonight and yes, sure Sabrina can sing and perform, no question about that, but idol is more than that and her story about depression was quite inspiring and humbling until she suddenly decided that she knew it all and dismmised any judge’s (except for the never critical Marsha) comment in frankly a very arrogant way (which I suspect turned people off her). You can’t set your self up as vunerable and exposed when everyone is careful only for you, to suddenly develop an arrogence which is contradictory and offputting. Keep singing, and learn to balance your new found confidence with beautiful humility and gratitude…..nothing more attractive really. Good luck.