The Apprentice – Supposedly A Cat Fight In The First Episode

Jane BarclayCarmen

The Apprentice premiers tonight on Channel Nine after much hype, and TV week continues it with claims the two oldest contestants in the competition Carmen Parnos and Jane Barclay do not get on.

The article says:

The two women butt heads in the gardening challenge during episode one, in which Carmen 44, accused Jane, 54, of not working fast enough.

“Carmen’s a viper,” the former trave industry exec tells us. “She’s a cow, a dreadful human being and a morally bankrupt individual. There’s absolutely no love lost between us – and the worse thing is we have to share a room.”

While Carmen is her closest housemate in age, Jane says the pair couldn’t be more different, even down to the way they dress.

“She’s very much mutton dressed as lamb,” Jane states. “She seems to have a love affair with lycra and man-made fibres, and that’s so not me. Everything about her is, ‘Look at me!’, whereas I’m a bit more dignified.”

Jane adds that she tried to stand up to Carmen during the first task, but she couldn’t be heard.

“Most people have two ears and one mouth, but she seems to have 10 mouths and no ears,” Jane explains. “People try to stand up to her, but it’s like banging your head against a brick wall.”

And when TV WEEK gave Carmen the right of reply, she didn’t hold back either. “Jane needs to get over herself,” says the mother of two. “She has a very blase attitude when it comes to the tasks, which isn’t going to work in a competitive environment. She just doesn’t have what it takes….”

Thankfully this program is NOT going to be MasterChef Australia nice.

1 CG { 09.28.09 at 10:50 pm }

Sounds like Jane may be the first to be fired? Would they do that and run the risk of ageism charges? Hmmm.

RR: any way of gauging how many people RR devotees watching The Apprentice Aus? and if a meaningful group, can we consider a live blog ???

2 CG { 09.28.09 at 11:59 pm }

Ha,ha…I was right..Jane is the first to go. Bring on the charges of ageism!!!!!!!! And Bourie s is WRONG about Carmen. She is a loud-mouthed, know-it-all with what seems to be pretty illegitimate experience. I hope Bouris sees through Carmen sooner rather than later. Don’t have a favourite yet. Need another 1-2 epis to sort through the posers. The woman who has her own business in Melbourne is the only one who stands out for me thus far. I wish the show was on a little earlier (or on cable so there was repeats). Will it run 90mins each week?…interupting my Tony Jones fix!

ETA: The overall quality of the show and editing than what I expected from Channel 9. Is Fremantle behind this as well, theme song and all? Looks promising so far. Looking forward to the rest of the series!

3 sourkraut { 09.29.09 at 12:31 am }

CG
Good Lord we agree! Carmen is a cow. My assessment of her management and business ethics (trying to weasel out of spreading the mulch by saying she had not agreed to it) is that she couldn’t run a cock-up in a brothel! Great cost estimation too.
As I said b4 they are nearly all clutterflunks ego freaks loud mouths and totally greed driven know it alls, By the way would you buy a used car from Morella?
And the mismatching ties (not properly tied or done up) and suits…. worth the price of admission alone. This series might be worth watching for a laugh
PS how long do you think it will be b4 Sabrina airs the puppies to get jobs etc? Oh and by the way she’s a beauty queen in case you missed her telling us

4 CG { 09.29.09 at 1:44 am }

Sour- Sabrina is not just any ‘ole beauty queen…she is Miss World Australia 2006 – yup 2006 !!! and a member of MENSA to boot. We need to start a drinking game: one shot everytime Sabrina mentions the beauty queen title, the MENSA membership or flashes her puppies, her pins or any flesh in between (or whips out the beauty queen crown and sash). Scull!!!

5 reality raver { 09.29.09 at 10:14 am }

CG – You would be passed out on couch within the first hour. I was terribly embarrassed when she went up to the guy outside the Museum of Contemporary Art and said Hi I am Sabrina Miss world australia 2006, then Carmen just said hi I am Carmen.

Yes I will trial an open post next Monday.

Sourkraut – If Sabrina doesn’t stop talking in a monoton she may have to get her puppies out to liven the us all up a bit.

I have to confess I was impressed with Morrello, but he was in his comfort zone tonight. His quotes were good, and his interactions with people were friendly, but he knew how to close the deal.

6 Miss Apprentice { 09.29.09 at 12:33 pm }

I agree Jane is a much too dignified lady to be NEEDING to deal with someone like Carmen as in a real life business setting they would never be partners or co-workers, let alone Carmen be in any kind of supervisory position over Jane as was the scenario in this first episode gardening disaster.

With Carmen at the helm there was nothing anyone could do to save themselves from edging towards disaster and too bad Jane ended up being the scapegoat of Carmens big mouth and mismanagement as no doubt Jane is a much more relevant applicant to the position in Mark Bouris’s business than Carmen will ever be.

I hope Jane will now get plenty of other business opportunities from Companies that don’t have Carmen types in their employ !!

7 Miss Apprentice { 09.29.09 at 12:49 pm }

Morrello will get himself unstuck soon, he’s too much the hustler type and made some terrible faux pas in interacting with the lady he brokered a gardening deal with.

After they agreed on a deal, I believe he said something like: “give us a smile” and instead of shaking her hand he proceeded to HUG her.

OMG – what was he thinking ??????

8 sourkraut { 09.29.09 at 9:23 pm }

Miss Apprentice
I think all Morella needed was a fedora hat with a black hat band and black and white shoes and……………..voila Peter Sellers (my all time fave actor) in the revenge of the pink panther
Agree about Jane. I would employ her but not as a gardener when she got the plants mixed before planting them! I certainly would not have Carmen working for me, I’d waste unknown amounts of time worrying about what sort of dud deal she was cooking up and then turn on me when things go wrong. I’d sack her. From “Dabosse’s” comments at the pre boning session it sounds like he wants her to win the job, or was he just masking a “fat”? (or a bone?????????????????)
CG Thanks for reminding me. I’d forgotten she was Miss world OZ as she only told me about it three times. Still I look forward to the puppies, but Mrs Kraut better not be watching. Chin Chin!
I think Morella was saying “look at me smile” Great farginacious buckets of ………………………!

9 Katie { 10.03.09 at 12:52 pm }

Morella was so smooth you could almost see the cheese melting

10 Hilda { 10.08.09 at 10:42 am }