Celebrity MasterChef – I Think It Is A Wise Decision Not To Make A Second Series

With MasterChef Australian style now going to be made in the US and hosted by Gordon Ramsay (Source The Guardian) I really think it is a good thing that the Celebrity version of this show won’t be getting a second outing next year.

Sure it is non-offensive but it is nowhere near as good as the real thing. By the way I reckon if a TV channel fast tracked the US version it would rate very well here.

Last night’s episode I only saw half of the show, but really that was enough.  Even the contestants were uninspiring Fuzzy, Peter Rowsthorn, and Alex Lloyd. There is just no chemistry between them or on camera.

However I suppose I was going for Alex to win, I am pretty sure I used to work with his father who periodically would come around flogging Mother Hubbard CD’s (Alex’s first band) to us. Yes I bought them, I have to confess I don’t think I listened to them.

Anyway I missed the signature dish section of the show so it would be great if someone could fill me in.

The guest judge was Katrina Kanetani the dessert chef from Pier Restaurant and both the dishes she bought in looked sublime. The choice was between a chocolate brulee, and a sophisticated take on strawberries and cream.

Fuzzy picked the strawberry dish.

Alex’s problems arose from his dyslexia and he first started making custard with egg whites. Fuzzy just consistently went for it working very fast, and Peter was methodical and there were concerns he would not have left himself time to plate up.

I actually thought all three had plated up a very nice dish, but Alex took the prize as more of his elements work, and his tuile (which in my mind was a small part of the dish) was the snappiest.

Out of all of them in the semi’s I think I am going for either Eamon Sullivan or Alex to win.

1 PinkPatentMaryJanes { 11.05.09 at 8:11 am }

Fuzzy made an amazing spicy calamari on a bed of watermelon salad {drool} and coconut pandan {sp?} crepes with caramelised coconut and a rum and coconut milk sauce. Alex made his own pasta for ravioli filled with prawns and ricotta {not an ideal combo}, with some gorgeous king prawns on top. Peter cooked a rack of lamb, on a bed of roasted sweet potatoes with a mint salsa.
Fuzzy’s dish set my tastebuds into overdrive, Alex obviously can cook – but, like the judges, I’m not sure about his combinations. And Peter, bless him, ended up finishing off sliced cutlets in the frypan. So, ah, lamb cutlets instead of rack of lamb then…

Hurrah for Tabatha getting the go-ahead for a new series. She’s just amazing.

2 Wurstsemmel { 11.05.09 at 9:16 am }

This series is a yawn but I watch it anyway. Fuzzy’s signature dishes did look great but otherwise, RR, you didn’t miss a hell of a lot.

3 seepi { 11.05.09 at 10:50 am }

Fuzzy’s signature dishes looked incredible. and with that sort of Asian fusion thing going on, you could tell the judges would love it.

Peter seemed to have picked really easy dishes, and then muck them up a bit, so I wa expecting his dessert challenge to be a debacle, but he obviously can actually cook quite well.

Poor Alex seriously looked like he was about to burst into tears during the judging, as George criticised his slimy ricotta ravioli – and I realised this is the missing element in Celeb Masterchef – none of the celeb contestants actually care that much if they win or not.

I was cooking while watching this, and the only time I stopped to actually watch was during the judging sections .

4 Kyvyny { 11.05.09 at 10:54 am }

Alex Lloyd really brought up a Julie moment of the series with his background explanation of his dyslexia at the judging table. It’s classic stuff and the kind of move that signals a win only a few minutes later. Julie would be proud.

5 Scott { 11.05.09 at 11:02 am }

Yeah, if you ever get a chance to go to Pier restaurant in Rose Bay, definitely leave room for dessert. Katrina Kanetani is a genius. I remember having the Caramel rum braised banana…out of control! (and I’m not even a desert person)

6 reality raver { 11.05.09 at 11:51 am }

Kyvyny – Lol that is so hilarious but oh so true. I think on the dish I saw that he did execute the dish the best. However I reckon they should take in a bit of the first round. But maybe the producers did not want too many Gen Y’s through, as we already have Eamon and Rachael Finch through.

PinkPatentMaryJanes – I love your blog name. Fuzzy’s dish sounds amazing I have only recently discovered the delights of Pandan.

Wurstsemmel – After dealing with a 30 minute tantram from an overtired five year old, I was less enthusiastic about watching it then ususal. Truthfully Tabatha’s Take Over Salon is so much more entertaining.

Seepi – Interesting comment about the judges, I had a little flash of that last night and was thinking they may need to mix it up next series. I think we have all been saying it for awhile bring in a female judge.

Scott – I have been wanting to go to Pier for ages. In fact I will make it a new year resolution.

7 CG { 11.05.09 at 12:34 pm }

Yes, it was clear Alex was gonna win when they took time out for his dyslexia story…and when he looked so damn serious about the judges verdict. So cute. Agree it is a good decision to not have a Celebrity show next year. I also wish they’d rethink the children’s show and the children’s line of products. I just think it (the products) are tacky (and made in China probablyb) and everyone can see thru how they are just trying to milk the whole thing.

8 Anonymous { 11.05.09 at 1:40 pm }

Perhaps Chris B should have drooled a little and displayed a twitch?

9 Ausjinni { 11.05.09 at 9:59 pm }

Alex should have been disqualified for wiping his hand across his nose – many times -while using his hands to prepare the food – yuck!