Celebrity Masterchef – Semi-final One

Celebrity Masterchef finally found some adrenalin this week, with some of the challenges seen in the original series returning. Tonight we had a mystery box and a Christmas challenge.

But first a few thoughts on the episode:

• I love the way that Kirk Pengilly says he is a rock star – once your a rock star are you always a rock star? Is it a bit like being given a peerage?
  • Also I had to laugh when Rachael Finch said that being Miss Universe Australia was hard work.
  • You know everything is right in the world when George Calombaris continues to mangle the english language – “Never has Gary and I see such ambitious dishes cooked in the masterchef kitchen.”
  • Did anyone else think that Gary copped a perve at Rachael in the pantry?
  • I had a WTF moment when Gary Mehigan was reminiscing about his Christmas’s and how his mum would be in the smokey kitchen and then he said “Dad forgot to get the gas for the BBQ”. Huh? He is from England the chances of them having BBQ on a cold winters day are slim. In fact I lived in the UK and I don’t think I ever saw a BBQ; and
  • Eamon Sullivan is an extremely impressive young man, and also a bit of a perfectionist.

Round 1 is a mystery box challenge which had lamb backstrap, beetroot, chocolate, coffee, spinach, orange and potato.

I am still a bit suspect about the timing Why is the last minute always so long. The contestants seem to do an awful lot in that time.

Kirk’s dish was Pepper Lamb with a beetroot and citrus salad. Personally I thought it was a bit simple, however Gary Mehigan loved the salad. Also George Calombaris thought it was tasty.

Matt Preston pronounced it as the dish to beat.

Michelle Bridges had a crepe wrapped around a souffle, which was original. But I found it interesting that in the last 10 seconds she took the dish out of the oven and put it on the plate, and then when she presented it to the judges it had a few decorative marks, and a sprinkle of icing sugar on it.

Matt Preston said that it could have been the winning dish if it had been cooked properly.

Alex’s minted lamb got the thumbs up for being cooked well.

Simon Katich had lamb with skordalia. George thought the garlic was raw “you can’t pash anyone for two weeks” but he thought it was ok. The lamb was undercooked.

Rachael Finch’s chocolate fondant also had some editing issues. I thought it was a bit unfair that she was able to plate it at the judges table. George thought it more pudding than fondant, but he did think it was good.

Eamon Sullivan did chocolate and orange mousse, coffee creme brulee, with a orange and mint salad. George thought it was classy that he pulled it all off.  It did look restaurant quality. It was no surprise he won.

It was then onto the  invention test with a christmas theme. Eamon, as winner of round one, got to pick his cooking partner and he selected Kirk Pengilly, and then paired the girls together, and Simon and Alex were to cook together.

The choice of ingredients was turkey and dry fruit, ham and white chocolate, and seafood and summer fruits. Eamon picked the seafood and summer fruit something that pleased the other teams.

Michelle Bridges snapper stuffing looked delicious.

Simon had a pannacotta disaster when it collapsed after he put the coulis on them. It did look disgusting. Alex made baked snapper and it was cooked well, but Gary said he would have liked more flavour in the fish. Matt was critical about their vegetables.

George said the flavour of the pannacotta was good, but it did not look very “sexy”.

Snapper fillets with mango and avocado salad, and pavlova with summer fruits was cooked by Eamon and Kirk. George loved the salad. Matt liked the pavlova, but queried whether it was christmasy enough. I thought both dishes represented Christmas.

Michelle’s stuffed snapper was not cooked enough and it was inedible. She looked like she was going to cry. Rachael’s puddings were delicious. And Matt said it was better than Eamon’s dessert from the mystery box challenge. Gary called it the dish of the day. And that saved Michelle Bridges.

Very controversial as you could eat Alex’s and Simon’s but Michelle’s was inedible. Simon’s sloppy pannacotta sent him home, though in my mind Alex leaving in the prawns entrails was the greater sin.

1 Wurstsemmel { 11.11.09 at 9:54 pm }

As a Brit myself, I had to chuckle over Gary’s BBQ spiel. Perhaps an innovative use of a central heating radiator? BBQ for Christmas. I think not.

More gratuitous boob shots of Rachael. Maybe she’s headed towards George’s ad of going topless? There you go, Wurstsemmel!

A bit more interesting tonight. Kirks food always looks good so Im backing him

2 dmc { 11.11.09 at 10:10 pm }

Rachael Finch came across really well. I vote her to replace Sabrina in the Apprentice.

3 TDK { 11.12.09 at 8:38 am }

So many reality programs on TV.
You will be busy for years.
Let me list a few I like:
– This one of course
– One HD’s The Poker Star
– Go’s Survivors & Bachelor & Bachelorette (actually i don’t like the current Bachelorette)
– Seven’s Beauty & the Geek
– Ten’s Idol

4 Culinary Boner { 11.12.09 at 9:30 am }

Michelle the Muscle Chick should have been the one going home. Clearly the result was again more than suspect. Sure Simon’s desert looked like an afternoon’s hoovering from a liposuction clinic, but George did say he could EAT the lot. No one found out what Michelle’s fish tasted like because it was INEDIBLE. She may as well served plastic. I expect that she will be in for a couple of more episodes despite whatever crap she serves so Ten can continue to flog that Fat Bastards Incorporated show.

5 Wurstsemmel { 11.12.09 at 9:50 am }

I actually meant, ‘There you go, SOURKRAUT. Duh.

Culinary Boner makes a very valid point – Michelle’s food couldn’t even be tasted. So, is it appearance over taste? I think not but just a case of a more recognisable 10 ‘celebrity’

6 Sooty { 11.12.09 at 9:57 am }

They did say they would be judged as a pair. Best dish of night by Rachel pulled Michelle up, and her food looked good and fitted the theme. They could taste a section of the fish, but not the tastiest part, they said, as that was in the 2/3 of fish raw area.

Simon and Alex both had problem dishes. Therefore it was the worst dish of the bottom pair and they chose Simon. I’m glad Alex stayed, but there would have been a case to boot him.

It has always bothered me that Simon can’t smell (bothers him more I bet) but as taste is a sense that is linked with smell, he ought to have problems in tasting.

I think his bad skordalia in previous box challenge may have tipped the scales.

7 Reality Raver { 11.12.09 at 10:44 am }

Wurstsemmel – glad to know someone else agrees on the BBQ thing thought it completely strange. Was it one of the script writers coming up with that one?

I think Kirk can cook and put flavours together, however it is a bit simple, a bit like Julie’s so maybe he will win the title.

TDK – missing the Survivor series but will have GO in a couple of weeks. I am missing poker star I will try and check it out. Is it only on one HD or can I get it through the normal one.

Have you watched Ultimate GAmer? I am going to check that out. Your right so many reality TV shows. Though it will slow down over summer.

DMC – yes Rachael has acquited herself well on the show. Pleasant and is showing some talent cooking. Next year’s The Apprentice perhaps?

Sooty – your right they judges did say that it was a team thing. The boys two mediocre dishes put them in the bottom. I thought George thought the skordalia was ok, apart from the raw garlic.

8 Sooty { 11.12.09 at 3:45 pm }

George said the skordalia was overprocessed also, so that it was chalky or pasty?

9 Jacqui { 11.12.09 at 4:32 pm }

I watched Ultimate Gamer once and it was pathetic! Don’t bother watching!

10 Anon { 11.13.09 at 10:09 am }
11 Reality Raver { 11.13.09 at 11:38 pm }

Anon – You may be right they are over doing it.

Jacqui – I have a few episodes taped I will put it on a low priority to watch then.

Sooty- yes you are right he did say it was over processed.