OPEN POST: MasterChef Australia – Poh Has Got To Pick Asian

I am hoping that Poh picks Malaysian for the pressure test, just to really make the contestants freak out.

Also below is a Ukrainian band doing a rendition of Katy Perry’s Hot and Cold (the MasterChef Australia title song) in fact after 30 seconds I kind of enjoyed it.

1 Sooty { 07.14.09 at 9:10 pm }

Just before I head out to my concrete bunker – the commies are coming – I wonder if they wanted Julia to be taken out of the comp early by that ‘advantage’ as she is so good at cooking, but sort of dull in televisual typecasting personality terms?

I knew she was going in a weird way tonight, out of those two – even though Julie’s been in the bottom two twice and the bottom three, and her fish was so raw it was inedible…hmm.

On the plus side, we can refer to Julie as Julia or Julie and it won’t matter any more.

2 Anonymous { 07.14.09 at 9:11 pm }

I’m calling it now, Julie is going to win this “competition”. If you can even call it that, because it’s certainly not about competing. What. A. Joke.

3 Injera { 07.14.09 at 9:12 pm }

Yep – just cook, dammit! In UK Masterchef, the finalists have had their cooking critiqued, weaknesses and strengths identified, and are sent to restaurants where they will learn skills to make up for their deficiencies. But the cooking? Is about the cooking. Not about advantages (recipe books, tip offs, choices that might hobble others…).

I call shenanigans. And not for the first time. And this, as you say CG, is not a Poh thing. It’s a “don’t call this a cooking competition thing” thing.

4 Ange { 07.14.09 at 9:22 pm }

You could tell all through the show tonight that Julia was a goner – her eyes were red raw from crying – in the comments bits kwim?

5 Sooty { 07.14.09 at 9:24 pm }

If Julie wins, her cookbook: Mum’s Home Cooking.

Chris: Meaty Meals for Real Men.

Justine: Ooh La La! French and Saucy

Poh: Compulsive Cooking!

On this basis, I’d expect Poh to win, with a lovely big smily cover pic, and a ton of blusher – she can cook, and her presentation and timing is getting more impressive, but it does seem a bit er…set up?

6 Anonymous { 07.14.09 at 9:28 pm }

I’d prefer Poh as the winner over Julie. At least Poh can bloody cook.

7 Kyvyny { 07.14.09 at 9:31 pm }

Sad to see Julia go. Was starting to warm to her, stranger that she was.

8 Wurstsemmel { 07.14.09 at 9:36 pm }

That’s some taste test, Injera

9 Injera { 07.14.09 at 9:38 pm }

Maybe that could be the next taste test – the judges have to identify what’s in the eliminated contestant’s vom. Oh, hang on, that might mean a judge would be eliminated. Hey, that could work…

10 Sooty { 07.14.09 at 9:41 pm }

Anonymous, Julie won’t win. They’re all unravelling but I can’t see her getting past top three.

Wish everyone would focus on the time: raw fish, slop-food, vomit and veg, ugly puds. I can do all that, and pastry which is hardly Master anything except Home Cook, and I am a one lousy cook – but I’ve never cocked up anything so much I served it raw. Still, it is exciting this last week!

Injera, love the vom challenge idea.

11 Scott { 07.14.09 at 9:42 pm }

hey
has anyone noticed how the most of the interviews from tonight that they were wearing the clothes they cooked in last night?
and the short for tomorrows episode had the interviews in tonights clothes?
does anyone actually know how the editting is done?

12 Injera { 07.14.09 at 9:43 pm }

Scott, my guess on how the editing is done is… badly!

13 flsw { 07.14.09 at 10:03 pm }

“Ok Poh, now that the others have gone home finished your we will give you a look at tomorrow nights recipe, oh and this is an extra prize. Here’s one we prepared earlier in case you stuff yours up” Did anyone notice Julie give Poh the lemon lips pout and raised eyebrow when she walked over to show them the challenge?

14 TDK { 07.14.09 at 10:04 pm }

what’s tomorrow pressure test dish?
from the previews, it seems to be some over the top complicated desert; poh admits that she’s not getting a real advantage, why?

15 CG { 07.14.09 at 10:06 pm }

so first two to go in finals week: Lucas and Julia; were the two who beat the “celebrity chefs”. what does this say about the intelligence of taking people out of the “game”? and what does this say about the celebrity chefs who they beat? you are right Injera, anyone in MCA Season 2 should deliberately lose any celebrity chef challenge. what a bunch of idiots. shooting themselves in the foot.

16 TDK { 07.14.09 at 10:08 pm }

cg – feel sorry for lucas and julia actually, it gave them false hopes that it was actually good for them; well may be it was, but not on the competition

17 Foodie { 07.14.09 at 10:15 pm }

Well Julia now admits there is a relationship with Chris in an article to come out in the Herald-Sun tomorrow and on news.com tonight

18 CG { 07.14.09 at 10:31 pm }

Here’s the link to the article Foodie is referring to. Nothing much new…other than confirming the “relationship” with Chris but suggesting it isn’t very serious (although serious enough for Chris to leave his long-term partner?)

19 seepi { 07.14.09 at 10:38 pm }

I think Julie should have gone instead of Julia.

Julie’s fish was inedible, Julia’s was only undercooked. And the rest of Julie’s food was nothing special either.

Poh really annoys me, but I am really not sure why. Perhaps it is the schizophrenic pretending to be all casual and not care about winning one moment, and deadly serious the next.

20 Reality Raver { 07.14.09 at 11:27 pm }

CG – thanks for the link I have now posted on it.
Also I think I would have avoided satay as that would be one thing the judges would know about malaysian food.
Being vague about what you were doing meant the judges could compare you dish against one they had already had.

Kyvyny – Thanks for pointing out about the twitter link. I am an IT f**k knuckle

21 Adam { 07.14.09 at 11:59 pm }

I’m not a compulsive MC watcher, only seen about 1/3 of the episodes so can someone fill me in……..

How can Julie be in the bottom 3 week in and week out, screw up the finals two nights in a row and still be in this show?

There is no credibility in this show at all!

22 Zephyr { 07.15.09 at 12:14 am }

Yeah flsw, I saw that too. That facial expression was DEFINITELY not something I’ve grown accustomed to from Julie. There was definitely a hint of disgust/hatred in that face. Maybe it’s because of the mounting pressure from the competition, especially now that we’re in final week? *shrugs*

And just before that, Justine was showing her disgusted expression as well. I always knew that she wasn’t as nice as she appeared to be.

Haha, I seriously think that all of them have no idea of what Malaysian cooking is, except for Matt Preston who was awesome as usual. He definitely knows what Malaysian cooking is. Argh, I just hope they’d stop calling Malaysian dishes Malay!! It may come as a shock, but Malaysia is actually a multicultural society, just like Australia! So technically, Chinese cooking is acceptable. But of course judging by how ignorant the judges are, they’d probably criticize how Chinese cooking isn’t ‘Malay’. pfft.

23 Alister { 07.15.09 at 12:29 am }

As a Malaysian myself. Well to be fair.

Julia’s rendition of Malaysian food is just wrong, something that I have never even seen or heard of before.

Then, Julie. Well, while she did sneak in Thai cuisine with some Malaysian flavors, in states like Kelantan (Next to the Thai border.), Kelantanese cuisine for example does have some Thai influences (Though the Udon (Japanese Noodles.) & Zucchini weren’t the right ingredients).

Chris: His Nasi Chris is actually Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice in Malay.). While good, needs more decorations.

Justine’s dessert: Nothing to do with Malay cuisine at all (Hence the surprised look on Poh’s face.). Perhaps if she made something like black glutinous rice porridge, that would have impressed the judges a lot more.

NOTE: The above is just my own opinion. In no way am I trying to nor it is my intention to offend anyone.

24 Kyvyny { 07.15.09 at 1:46 am }

@Adman – Julie is more a ratings draw/sweetheart/darling than the others that have been knocked out. She brings the home style budgetarian out and that makes for good TV. An ex-golfer and a girl who left for unpaid work months ago, just don’t stick well with the viewing audience and are easier to chop-chop.

25 Adam { 07.15.09 at 9:56 am }

Kyvyny,

Yeah I figured it had to do with who makes for good tv. That’s why I say it has no credibility as a cooking show. I’m a pretty poor cook and I reckon I could cook just about every dish Julie has served up!

They should just call it,”Australias next person who makes good tv and can cook a little better than your average Joe” but I guess that’s a little long to say each time on the promo!

26 Sooty { 07.15.09 at 11:51 am }

Alister – thank you. I found that really helpful.

27 flsw { 07.15.09 at 2:51 pm }

“For my first ingredient I chose”-pause, raise one eyebrow a little and stare surpeciliously at the other contestants, smile slightly, build the tension, lift lid-“coconut milk”. Good acting Poh (oh that’s right you’re an actor as well as an artist -hey hey esther blueburger). Are you in this comp for the love of food or the chance to get your hands on 100 grand and hopefully more than 15 minutes of fame. Very well played. Good exposure.
On the other hand, Julia’s genuine snorting sobs and heartfelt pleas to “let me show you what I can do” were genuine and I think she is one who was in it for the love of food regardless of the prize. I hope she goes far further than this com-poh-tition has allowed her. Then the show will try to take credit for her success.

28 Poh » Current News Trends { 07.16.09 at 9:15 pm }

[…] OPEN POST: MasterChef Australia – Poh Has Got To Pick Asian … […]

29 Alice { 07.17.09 at 12:15 am }

Julie’s probably gonna win with her homely sort of personality and intention for her “if she wins” cookbook. She has simple dishes and they seem to taste delicious.
I actually really want Poh to win because her food looks very presentable. That dessert (The sesame seed, ginger thing) looked YUMMY!
Julie is starting to annoy me. I mean she stuffed up quite a few dishes but she still gets away with it!(No offense/offence to Julie or any Julie fans)
But there’s no doubt she will win, Poh’s sort of unique food doesn’t seem to be matching the judges’ idea of the ultimate dish. Don’t get me wrong, Julie and Poh are really good cooks. It’s just that Poh needs to sorta make her food a little common and Julie needs to speed up her cooking!