Australian Idol Finale – Stan Walker Wins

Has Kate D’Arrugio been wiped from the annals of Australian Idol history? In the opening credits when they flashed through talent that has been through the show, she was not there. Natalie Gauci, and Casey Donovan were.

Well there are still fans of Australian Idol, as they packed the Opera House Forecourt in this sweltering heat, however a fair whack of them were Stan Walker’s family.

The opening group song had energy, but it did highlight that there was not a lot of talent this year, however at least this year the top two were probably the best performers of the series. Unfortunately Ashleigh Toole we never got to know you. I did like the girls song When Love Take Over, and Sabrina Batshon does have a set of pipes on her. The boys song did not do for me quite so much, Casey Barnes must take the title of blandest Australian Idol ever, well until next year.

I did find it mildly amusing that Ian Moss was singing Michael Jackson’s Beat It. I am presuming this is Idol’s tribute to MJ, but seriously why are we still paying homage to this guy? Yes he wrote and perform some great songs, but his behaviour in his personal life is seriously disturbing. Considering Kyle Sandilands was wiped from Idol for inappropriate behaviour, shouldn’t Michael Jackson be as well?

Poor Ricki-Lee looked like she was being knocked around by the heat, and Twitter exploded with opinions about her dress, and the necessity of her to climb out of a bed at the beginning of the song.

Guy Sebastian had to perform by himself because Jordin Sparks from American Idol had to have an emergency appendectomy. A pity Adam Lambert couldn’t fly out to replace her.

Anyway it was not surprise when Stan Walker was named this year’s Australian Idol – a well deserved winner, as he was the one who did give us the most Australian Idol “moments” this series.

The question of what next for Stan and Hayley will quickly be replaced with the question of what next for Australian Idol.

1 Dolph Ziggler { 11.23.09 at 9:17 am }

Hey, lay off Ricki-Lee everyone.
Who out there doesn’t secretly wanna a piece of Gold Coast Thunderpussy? This includes the gurls of Lowood.

2 charades { 11.23.09 at 12:40 pm }

Dolph ………….. that really sounds rather crass. Who cares about anyone elses lust life.

Does this mean idol is finished for the year ? :)

When they have the show next year …. I do so hope the talent bucket is a bit fuller.

3 Dolph Ziggler { 11.23.09 at 1:42 pm }

Dolph does.

4 Bruiser Brody { 11.23.09 at 1:49 pm }

um, did you just make a comparison between MJ and Kyle Sandilands?
what?
why are we still paying homage to “this guy”? Dunno – may be the highest selling album of all time; he died recently; more talent in his little finger than anyone writing or visiting this page; didn’t ask a 12yo on air whether she consented to rape…etc

yet you’re pining for recognition of Kate DeWhatesherface…

5 TDK { 11.23.09 at 3:15 pm }

This doesn’t sound like your piece of writing RR.
Anyways, thanks for keeping busy with my rants on this blog thus far.
I shall be tuning out.
Cheers.
TDK

6 Shawn { 11.24.09 at 1:37 am }

I’m with Brody, WTH was with the dig at MJ, we’re never really going to know what happen in his personal life, in his professional one though he was nothing short of fantastic.

There’s so many reasons why people are still paying homage to him, it’s just a pity that the Wes and Ian Moss homage was pretty ordinary.

I have to say Stans voice did nothing for me all season I thought until I heard him sing with the others, saying that though I’m not sure if Stan is Incredibly Good or the others are just Incredibly Crap bar one or two, Nathan is great, he was so on the wrong show though, needed to be on Australian Theatre Idol 😛 I also liked Toby but I think he was smart enough to know what winning meant and thought he could probably take it out….come on apart from Season 1 a winner has really gone onto nothing with the latest from Damien Leath blabbing on about he had to sell his car to get money.

I wish Stan didn’t win, I don’t think he’s going to see a whole lot of money any time soon. If he came in second though I think he could have easily got a contract with someone and snagged a signing bonus. I just hope that he doesn’t become wealthy and his family all come in and freeload off him and take him for everything he’s worth, looking and hearing about his family just gives you the impression that could happen.

While I would never consider buying a album by Hayley I hope she goes onto good things, I can see a bit of Avril and Pink in her. While the music does nothing for me I hope she can sign with someone and create the music she wants. I still think she would be better off fronting a band though then doing a more solo thing, bit like Avril and Sum 41.

Ricky Lee looked bad, she look like she was struggling to get up on that bed and those back up dancers where shocking. RL is a chubby girl with some nice curves and there’s nothing wrong with that. But to surround herself with tiny girls who can’t dance for sh1t was a bad idea. I don’t know why she didn’t have a couple of guys around her, I personally think it would have made her a bit slimmer. There’s no need to really comment on what she was wearing though as it spoke for itself!

What I ultimately wished thought was that Andrew G would announce it was the final episode ever!

7 Necta { 11.24.09 at 9:12 am }

Shawn you’re full of it!! Stan has been the only stand out performer this year with so many amazing performances!!Overall the public loved him…. hence winning the show. Also was propbably the mentors favourite based on the comments and feedback. You’ve put the program down and pretty much everyone in it so why do u bother watching it, just change the channel and keep your negative comments to yourself….no one really cares what you think!!!!

8 Trish { 12.01.09 at 10:49 am }

RR I strongly disagree with you reference to Casey Barnes being ‘bland’…. very harsh and it couldn’t be further from the truth. Do yourself a favour and go and see one of his live shows and then make up your mind! He’s a great entertainer, excellent singer and it was clear that idol didn’t reflect the true side of him as an artist… to be honest he is one of the only few contestants this year that actually presents a true chance of having a real music career given his background supporting the likes of Bryan Adams before the show… so don’t be too quick to judge as Australian Idol did not give a true reflection and I think your reference is quite unfair.