Chris Badenoch Won’t Be Teaching Ethics In Schools Anytime Soon

Chris Badenoch got a classic A Current Affair roasting tonight, with a three pronged attack, that he was a love cheat, a MasterChef cheat, and payment of debts cheat. Outline of story here.

But how much of it was new? Two weeks ago I raised the issue of how he got the bone marrow at Coles in this blog post here, and also queried whether he had internet access to obtain recipes or indeed was getting recipe ideas from anyone on the outside.  It would appear he was contacting quite a few people on the outside. Because A Current Affair only identified three women Julia, but is there a fourth? Check out this old blog post here

Also it was interesting A Current Affair did not mention his two bankruptcies (which must have been legalled out), but they did get a pissed off former landlord, saying he owed him somewhere between $11,000 and $15,000. Well Sydney rents are expensive. I suspect there are more peeved of people who are oweed money.

Anyway the story did make me laugh with him denying he made the text messages. So will he put his defamation lawyers onto Channel 9 tomorrow?

1 Richard { 09.28.09 at 10:08 pm }

Ah c’mon get real. Was he entertaining? For me yes. Would I go to his restutant to eat? Yes. This was a an attack by channel nine on channel 10, that’s all there is to it. He has some baggage that makes him perfect for a sledge campaign by ch9. They plugged their own craphouse ‘the apprentice’ series straight after the story. They are always plugging there own shows on ACA under the cover of stories – what a joke. His Ex partner and Ex landlord should be ashamed – if you have issues with the guy go to Chris and sort it don’t jump on the ACA payroll.

This story they ran was really low grade.

2 Reality Raver { 09.28.09 at 10:24 pm }

Richard – the header for the story was just a poke at the current debate raging in NSW re: whether ethics should be allowed to be taught as a subject when scripture is on in schools.

Agree it is Channel 9 trying to get onto the very popular MasterChef bandwagon. Landlord probably pissed he is $15000 poorer and if the guy then declared himself bankrupt then has buckley’s getting it off him. From what I could see of the interview the lady was doorstopped not paid for an interview.

3 Anonymous { 09.28.09 at 10:34 pm }

You have got to be kidding. Doorstopped? Well staged. This “lady” got tens of thousands of dollars for the tabloid mag story she did a while ago. She must have got same or double for this story on A Current Affair. Doorstopped my arse. You don’t get alleged text message previews and probably fake printouts from someone who is “doorstopped” and appears reluctant and begrudged about the whole interview. I wonder how many people go around looking perfectly coiffed with salon styled hair in their ordinary lives. Hmmm now let me ponder that. Agree with Richard. All these people want their 5 minutes of fame and are happy to piggyback on someone else to get their fame – they really should be ashamed.

4 annonymous { 09.28.09 at 11:08 pm }

oh please, did you see the interview? She was walking down a street and was visibly shaken. Why would the ex sit on a time-bomb like this story if she had already revealed ‘all’ in a mag interview.

5 sourkraut { 09.29.09 at 12:40 am }

Richard
Spot on. Anyway what can you expect from the Oz media?
R R
Perhaps your blog should have been on the Ethics Teachings of the media. Talk about the good old moral high ground, Oz journos would never “spin” a yarn for a $ would they?

6 Reality Raver { 09.29.09 at 1:11 am }

Sourkraut – I cannot take the high moral ground all the time, as I am known to bottom feed at times.

7 Culinary Boner { 09.29.09 at 11:04 am }

Yawn…Chris who???
Why did Nine wait so long to air this shit-smear?
Typical ACA crap. So what if he cheated. The show was a staged-managed reality TV show for fuck’s sake.
As stated by other respondents above at least he was entertaining and knowledgeable about cooking. And if women are dumb enough to believe the shit he spins them so he can root ’em and treat ’em like shit, then that’s their problem.

8 cupholder { 09.29.09 at 11:38 am }

PLEASE…. what a beat up!

If ACA wanted to advance the causes of there own upcoming reality offering “The Apprentice”… They could have fried far bigger fish in there very obvious attempt to question the ethics, honesty, legitimacy etc of the “MasterChef” brand, than pick on a contestant who has no real voice or recourse! The whole show was a sham…. Can anyone say with any veracity: that the best cook won? that the judging was consistent? that the editing wasn’t skewed? that the challenges had anything to do with good cooking practices? that the show and its judges didn’t sell out to the sponsors (eg. coles) as the show gained traction and the $ started rolling in?….indeed that the show had at its core “food” and not “human drama”?

ACA smacks of not wanting to attack its own (i.e. another network) rather pick on the defenseless contestant. That way you can smear the “brand” without obviously attacking the network directly!

The only dishonesty here was the deceitful nature of the show itself!

Leave the guy alone and lets move on…

9 stickler123 { 09.29.09 at 1:21 pm }

a statement from the other contestants about how feel about all this would be good

10 cupholder { 09.29.09 at 3:29 pm }

I think the other contestants at this juncture would be a bit kind of “whatever” given that it clearly was of no advantage…. Also a footnote: all of this surely is predicated by the fact that everything that ACA and Gemma Pritchard have dredged up is 100% kosher, is it not?

11 annon { 09.29.09 at 4:56 pm }

Cupholder- For fear of what could be a lawsuit if it was untrue I’m sure the tv program would have done their homework.

12 cupholder { 09.29.09 at 5:29 pm }

Yeah rrrright “homework”, please! Gee, ACA have always been such paragons of ethics, virtue and honesty!

Being on telly don’t make it true and nor does having a cranky ex make assertions for her own reasons make it fact!

Perhaps for the sake of disclosure ACA could let the public know if there were any payments made for the “impromptu” doorstop interview!!!????

I get back to my original point and that is – even if it is true… so what!

If that was the level of Chris’ deceit… big deal…. the whole show by definition is based on a suspension of reality… for instance does anyone really think that the show found its rightful winner?

13 sourkraut { 09.29.09 at 8:38 pm }

Cupholder and Culinary Boner
Absofargonelutely SPOT ON
R R
hope you didn’t think I was having a shot at you. I WOZNT. I wuz merely pointing out the lack of ethics of the OZ meedja. Good reference books are:
Malice in Media Land by David Flint, and
Fixing the News by Windschuttle

14 sourkraut { 09.29.09 at 8:40 pm }

R R
PS does that mean you like Carp?

15 sourkraut { 09.29.09 at 9:05 pm }

R R
PPSS Have you heard the riddle about any politician you hate and a carp?

16 Sooty { 09.30.09 at 10:36 am }

Cupholder – “Gee, if his only crimes are skipping rent, trying and failing in business, rotting around and using his mobile phone! All this while working stupidly long hours and being held captive in an artificial environment pretending to be luxury, but that in truth seemed more like a jail with golden bars, then I say “go ahead with your bad self!”-”

Are you Chris?

Skipping rent… you make it sound as if he stole ten cents off his mummy. It is a crime. But if someone not paying you 10 -15K they owe you is ok, can I have a loan of a few thou. Ta.

Using a mobile. There would have been a contract for the show. If he gets an unfair advantage, breaks the contract…. It’s a lack of integrity. It may not be a ‘crime’ but I’m sure the production company could sue. But why bother – he would probably ‘skip’ the courtcase and ‘skip’ the costs the judge ordered him to pay – and if in doubt go bankrupt again.

I don’t think a lack of integrity is a fine thing, and I bet all those women will take a while to get over all this ‘cute’ badness.

‘All this while working stupidly long hours and being held captive in an artificial environment pretending to be luxury, but that in truth seemed more like a jail with golden bars’ – you ARE chris!!! Those plush confined spaces made him do it. That place he ‘skipped’ the rent on must have had too many cushions in it.

Wacky funsters who cheat in love and business and with cameras on them…mmm. Aren’t they the staple of the 6.30 shows? Maybe he’s a very very nice man with self-sabotage problems, but these aren’t “victimless crimes”.

17 cupholder { 09.30.09 at 11:14 am }

Im certainly not Chris! One of the things I am trying to point out is that if indeed Chris is Deceitful and lacking in scruples he is certainly not on his own here…

1) Did the disenfranchised ex-lover get paid for the “spontaneous” interview?
2) Do we know all the facts behind the bankruptcies? (There are plenty of GOOD people who have gone bankrupt)
3) Do we have any idea of the details behind the “rent” scandal? (I know of plenty of unscrupulous landlords)
4) Is the MasterChef brand itself beyond reproach? Is there any dishonesty in the format itself by way of editing?
5) Is ACA supposed to be held up as a beacon of truth?

At days end my job is not to mindlessly defend Chris and I am acutely aware that he may have hurt people along the way. My supposition is that in the scheme of things he is “small fry” the far greater perpetrators of dishonesty are the producers, networks, writers, journalists, celebrity chefs, judges etc… who keep the wheels of mis-truths turning under the guises of entertainment.

18 Reality Raver { 09.30.09 at 11:40 am }

Cupholder – have to agree with Sooty skipping rent of $100 is a bit different from $10000 and $15000. Landlords normally have mortgages to pay. I wonder why they let him stay there for so long before they evicted him, as that would look like he got at least 2 months overdue. Maybe he has a nice line of patter. Which he must considering his luck with the ladies.

Also cupholder it would look like Gemma did not get paid by ACA, there is a link on another blog, I will try and find it that obviously had an inside source to ACA and indicated the story was done without her co-operation.
But if she had gotten paid does it matter? It was his behaviour they were talking about and it would appear to be true – even though he denies it. Unless someone else in the house got his phone and sending messages from it……. Of course the culprit is always Poh. LOL.

19 cupholder { 09.30.09 at 12:30 pm }

I would think that the $10 or $15 k back rent may have been on the basis of a few months, The landlord said he had been there for 12 months or so… All very vague… and that’s the point ACA do a 5 or 6 minute story, put out a whole lot of slurs, which for the most part are completley unsubstantiated…and that’s not to say they are not true.. just that they come unsupported or explained. Having a disgruntled landlord make a faux-phone call chasing up back rent going back a number of years doesn’t make it truth nor does having some tacky graphics showing some text messages… calling a phone number and playing his voice mail recording ONLY proves you have his number!

I stress I am in NO way saying he is innocent…. but few seem to question the legitimacy or honesty of either ACA or MC, preferring instead to play the man and not the ball….

Why doesn’t MC come out and say something and either confirm or deny issues around Chris’ alleged cheating!

I cant believe Sooty is suggesting that MC could sue him for breach of contract….Please. Like him or Hate him Chris was one of the reasons people tuned in and was a fairly large contributing factor in there massive ratings success. Maybe they could sue Julie for being a great person who is highly marketable but an inept cook, or if all else fails sue Poh for donning a fake smiling and being a coquette who had George wrapped around her finger…

We were all absorbed by these characters and I imagine we will all reinvest in the next batch but lets respect that they all have pasts! I for one could never go on the show for fear of incrimination!!

20 Reality Raver { 09.30.09 at 12:53 pm }

I am loving this thread, a thoughtful articulate debate on reality TV, makes all the hours I put into this blog worthwhile.

I actually thought the ACA was all over the place – the Chris “dickgate” saga was old news. The cheating was not so old, but no other media outlet really was not trying to chase that end of the story. I suspect that is not all the cheating that occurred, but the only thing they could get past the legal team.

The bad debt/rent thing was interesting as they managed to get someone to speak on camera, and that person has a lot of credibility in the business world. He was the owner/ partner in Porter Paints, a now successful boutique business that competes in a market. So this guy must have been incredibly pissed off to speak to them, as I suspect ACA is not his usual marketing tool of choice.

Agree I think one of the reasons MasterChef Australia was successful was because of people like Chris. He was good to watch on TV and he can cook. But like anyone who uses the reality TV genre to raise their profile, it can have its negative side for them. They have to be prepared for all the crap to come out.

21 cupholder { 09.30.09 at 1:24 pm }

I agree with everything especially the point regarding Porter’s Paints..

Also, your final paragraph re taking the good with the bad if you venture into that world is most pertinent!

A few points matters:

1) I don’t recall there being this level of scrutiny focused on one individual in Reality TV history in Australia or maybe he is a great story or I am more attuned?
2) Do they select contestants because they have this level of intrigue? Do they keep in those who will keep the gossip fires burning? Do the dismiss those who might be great cooks and but offer no back story?
3) Is all of this heightened by the advent of NEW MEDIA, twitter, blogs etc etc etc?
4) Why doesn’t the Judges apparent lack of objectivity and honesty not attract the same level of interest and scrutiny?
5) Why if you wanted to smear a show wouldn’t you go after the main protagonists? This goes back to my earlier post regarding networks and shows not wanting to EAT there own!

Hey its all FOOD for though…. Boom-Tish.. I’m here all week 1/2 price drinks from6 to 7 , free champagne and a carnation for the L-A-D-I-E-S!!

22 Culinary Boner { 09.30.09 at 1:32 pm }

Again, I come back to the ho-hum nature of any allegation of cheating on a reality TV show, where the rules are entirely arbitrary and manipulated constantly by the producers.

Maybe if Chris was more upfront about taking his competitive games to their ultimate conclusion – like Jonny Fairplay on Survivor and, as alleged by ACA I hasten to add – he might have instead endeared himself to more people.

By the way, is he releasing a beer cookbook? Santa’s after my pressie list for this year.

23 cupholder { 09.30.09 at 1:46 pm }

One last point…(probably not my last)!

I know the contestants that put themselves forward for these shows, have no understanding of what they are getting themselves in for!

So for those of you who are considering it be assured you will:

1) Be Kept in the dark and fed bullshit!
2) Be expected to work long hours.
3) Be paid a pittance and not in any way commensurate to the show success.
4) Have your rites signed away by way of an arduous contract full of legalese often presented to you only hours before going “in”.
5) Have your emotions manipulated.
6) Be put under all manner of stress in order to make “GREAT TV”.
7) Not be a part of a truly honest outcome!
8) (here’s the kicker) Be dragged through the mud post show if you have any kind of past.

This is why its such cheap TV to make… because you only need a bunch of mug punters driven by a desire for fame (more often than not fleeting), Prize (probably not given to the rightful recipient and not that grandiose) or to advance an outside interest (Chances are you will have signed this away in your contract, for at least the first crucial ensuing 12 months) !

24 Reality Raver { 09.30.09 at 2:37 pm }

Cupholder –
I don’t think Chris put on his application form, the skipping of bail and the two long term relationships, plus add in at least one other known lover. That all came out later.

Which relates to another point – the new media obviously means more information comes out on these people, as friends, colleagues etc can give out opinions and information. This is positive as it means Australia’s small media circle can control all of what is said on the shows, and contestants.

Also as regular readers would know I have probably covered the Badenoch saga more than anyone. Why? Because it drives traffic amongst other reasons. Same reason he went on Masterchef to promote BeerMasons which he has. I think if he weighed it up – being on MasterChef has probably been more positive for him then negative. He also found a girl, as well as raising his profile.

The mainstream media won’t go for the judges etc, as they need to keep in good with the publicity departments to get stories on the shows. It is easier to go for the collateral damage.

yes the contracts are crap – just ask Damien Leith who got severely burnt.

Phew – can I have that glass of champers now. Hold the carnation.

25 cupholder { 09.30.09 at 3:21 pm }

I hope what you mean is that “This is positive as it means Australia’s small media circle CANT control all of what is said on the shows, and contestants”?

I also hope you mean that Chris skipped rent and not BAIL??

One of the upsides to new media is its down side and that is- there are no checks and balance, no accountability and in your case no sub-editors (joke) !

26 cupholder { 09.30.09 at 3:24 pm }

didn’t mean to repeat myself!

27 TM { 09.30.09 at 5:24 pm }

I am going to weigh into this debate. I will disclose upfront that I am a friend of Gemma’s and have known her for over 20 years. Unlike ‘Cupholder’ I am proud to declare my association.

In the last couple of days I have seen Gem’s name thrashed around as some person whom is trying to chase their own 15 minutes of fame, is an angry-ex, and is being paid for her story/information.

Nothing could be further from the truth. In her own words “If I was chasing this bullshit, I would have been doing it from the minute he went into the house”. Angry-ex? Not really, after 5 years there is going to be some hurt, but from what I can gather she is far angrier with herself for letting herself be lied to and manipulated for all those years. Did she get paid for the ACA interview? Not a chance.

A few points on that; She was walking down a street, she was stammering and looked shaken. If you knew Gem you would know she doesn’t stammer and is very rarely shaken by anything.
Annonymous (comment 3) your comment about her being ‘perfectly coiffed’ is funny as she has been bitching and moaning that her hair looked like she had just driven 500kms in a convertable. Another quote was “I would have paid THEM if they would have reshot after I had brushed my hair (LOL)”. The HeraldSun reported that she was ‘tearful and embarrassed’ when contacted and ‘that it was shot some time ago’. ACA then claimed that is was shot 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago Gem was no where near Melbourne. ACA also said that they recieved the information from a 3rd party.

Gemma is a successful business owner and all this publicity is not helping her business. If she was chasing publicity (as Chris does for his beer business at every opportunity) she would have surely used this as a platform to promote her business, however she has not.

Chris was aware that Gemma was doing the mag article as she told him face to face, he is also aware of the pressure she was under at the time. There are quite a few other facts that Chris has conveniantly forgotten to tell his friends.

Gemma was still seeing Chris for several weeks after filming had finished and he had returned to Melb. They met up about half a dozen times during filming both in Sydney and Melb. Chris can deny it all he wants, it serves no purpose for Gem to make it up, as being associated with him now is toxic. Oh and she did have all those messages from him making the arrangements. Why still have the messages? Long gone and deleted.

There is no point in denying that this is a messy situation. But don’t go blaming Gemma. She is not chasing any of this publicity. She is caught up in a shitty situation. All of the focus has been on her as the other 2 women (H & J) have been kept away. H has only just returned from a long trip overseas and J is keeping her mouth shut as she is seeing Chris and obviously believes him. Poor girl!! The reason that Chris is not issuing any statement is because then all of his lies will really start to unravel. Chris lied to her, and by the sounds of things is still lieing to the other 2 women. J and H should contact Gemma to find out the lengths that Chris went to to keep this all under wraps. It is laughable that the stories that have come out are attracting the publicity that they have, Chris would be well aware of the far more damaging stories that are out there.

The Porter’s Paint guy is rightfully pissed off, and as Chris has admitted himself to 2 bankruptcies, a business closed down by the ATO and corporate fines by ASIC, it is amazing that more people have not come forward wanting their dough. But company structures can be very clever things at times, and with the right structure it can be near impossible to chase.

I could write for hours about this, but I think you would all be as bored reading this as I am typing it. Gemma has moved on. There is a new guy and a new outlook. Im sure ‘some’ of you will rip this piece apart, but I feel better after having written it.

28 cupholder { 09.30.09 at 5:52 pm }

Nothing to rip apart there, good on you !

How am I to disclose an association that doesn’t exist?

Chris is naughty no doubt….

Happy for you to elaborate should you wish to. Not boring at all quite the opposite!

29 stickler123 { 09.30.09 at 7:21 pm }

TM great post! thank you! now that makes sense.

Is Julia really that thick?? or were we all that thick at 23.

Is H still living there, last gossip a while back was she was, is he lying to her too and telling her that he & Julia aren’t a couple?
And when do we hear from the contestants? Surely, Julia, with her moral standing should come out on a platform with a silver cape wrapped around her and state her abhorrence for Chris and banish him from masterchefdom forever!

30 stickler123 { 09.30.09 at 7:22 pm }

sorry, in my last post it should be julie in the silver cape

certainly, not julia!

31 sourkraut { 09.30.09 at 11:24 pm }

Stop stop I admit it. He is planning to start world war 3 all by himself (look for the Melbourne beer-hall putsch)
Reality raver
You are absolutely right. Australia’s small media circle and the people who run it can and do control all of what is said and done on the shows and about contestants. If the reverse situation applied to these people and their lives were put under the spotlight there would be barristers at 20 paces. No I’m wrong!!!!! None of them have EVER done anything even in the slightest bit dodgey. I wonder what Media Watch would have to say about it in general

32 Pesto please { 10.01.09 at 1:46 am }

How about a current affairs story on how to get ahead by getting the bland sympathy vote? Be a mum with a husband and two kids, cry always, mention your family many times, be unreliable by missing deadlines or unfinished dishes and always appear hurried, flustered, dumbstruck and sweat like an overweight hippo. It also helps to have a name like Julie… is she related to Schapelle?

33 sourkraut { 10.03.09 at 12:29 pm }

Pesto please
There’s an idea. Instead of the BORING crew on celeb MC why not get Schapelle out of jail and bring her back to oz to teach us how to bake whacky cookies on CMC.? I’d love to see the results of Geo trying one of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34 Katie { 10.03.09 at 12:50 pm }

Krauty- I think that they should get Schapelle, Chris B and Fairely Arrow on Celeb Masterchef to jazz things up. All liars, cheats and fakes and hell bent on self promotion. Just think of the things they could concoct in that pantry together.

35 sourkraut { 10.03.09 at 3:34 pm }

Katie
not bad for starters. Need to add Chris Skase’s ghost with a dose of Dr edelstone perhaps a dash of george shrub junior with a smidgin of Wayne Carey, gently simmered with an eastern suburbs or canterbury bdogs league player all topped off with a well known syney business identity and you have the perfect recipe for a CMC masterFIX

36 stickler123 { 10.03.09 at 8:24 pm }

after reading all this, I think it’s been summed up in a recent magazine on “where are they now?” regarding the contestants and chris said he was going to become a regular columnist for Alpha magazine. That’s a perfect match, he has become the bogan’s poster boy.

37 sourkraut { 10.04.09 at 1:49 pm }

Bogan Pride?

38 stickler123 { 10.04.09 at 6:44 pm }

imagine it, he’ll be on the leading float, it will be decorated in mobile phone text messages, bouncing cheques (and girlies) and he can sit on top of a Torana or a Commodore.

39 sourkraut { 10.04.09 at 10:45 pm }

I wanna get a ticket to see that!

40 stickler123 { 10.05.09 at 7:21 am }

be quick sourkraut! it’s coming to an outer-suburb near you!

sponsored by Fosters!

41 sourkraut { 10.05.09 at 10:59 am }

but but but I drive a ford (shock horror) and drink West End so will they let me in? Also will Warnie be with him?

42 stickler123 { 10.05.09 at 11:39 am }

depends what your spoilers and mags are like.
Warnie’s too posh for a gig of badenoch’s ilk, naaah, the headliner’s will be schapelle corby, roberta williams, badenoch and that corey guy that held the huge party while his parents were away.

43 disillusioned { 06.13.11 at 5:04 am }

to all of you who made nasty comments about the contestants on the MC show… I think it’s really a shame on you for dissing them, regardless of whether its Chris, Julie or whoever.. Saying they don’t deserve their places in the competition is unfair, and comments like Julie sweating like an oversized hippo is just plain rude and childish. We all understand it’s after all a TV show made to entertain, so why the personal attacks? These people have shown they can be admirable for their cooking passion and skills, could you do that? it’s always easy to criticize and run them down. Hey at least these people have a talent and such, what gives you the right to comment on it when clearly they are more experienced in their field then you are?

Sighs.