MasterChef Australia – An Update

New Idea this week did an article on life after MasterChef Australia for some of the contestants.

Here is what they are up to:

Julie Goodwin:

Max Markson, celebrity agent, said she could be our next Margaret Fulton.  He also thinks Julie will be earning money off MasterChef Australia in 25 years’ time, and he thinks she will be a millionaire.

“the sky’s the limit. Other finalists who didn’t do as well are picking up deals worth $50,000 to $100,000 and getting offers of $3000 and $5000 for personal appearances.”

Julie is currently perfecting recipes for her cookbook as the manuscript is due by the end of the month. New Idea obviously did not want to cross promote a magazine that is not in their stable, as they managed not to mention that Julie has also got a monthly column with Woman’s Weekly.

Chris Badenoch:

As usual there is more news about Chris’s private life than what he is doing with his culinary skills. However he is holding a fundraiser to raise money for stray dogs. Also he is looking for premises for his planned bar and restaurant, and doing cookery demonstrations – including one with brewer Chuck Hahn at the recent Taste of Melbourne festival.

He denies he is seeing Julia saying ” We catch up with each other from time to time,” and “But I’m single and very happy. Julia and I are just friends. I have dinner with a lot of people.”

He has been spotted with Julia at Coda last week, and also at another nightspot in Toorak later in the week.

I wonder what Homaxi thinks of this. Has he completely broken up with her, but are they still sharing an apartment.

Also what does Julia think about not being acknowledged as being his squeeze. But then this seems to be normal behaviour for Chris.

Gemma Pritchard was also a long term girlfriend and revealed to New Idea his cheating both with women and in the MasterChef Australia game.

He said “The whole thing was ridiculous. I ignored it” about the New Idea article. “I’m no love rat.”

Mmmmm well how does he explain the text messages. The other thing is why has no one kicked up a fuss about him having a mobile in the house. As these days it is akin to having a computer because you can get internet access. Was he able to look up recipe ideas on the web? Also was he able to contact Coles to order in bone marrow for the cooking for the legends challenge. Not that it mattered as he tanked on that challenge.

Justine Schofield:

Justine has said she has had thousands of letters from admirers, but the were mainly teenage boys. Post MasterChef Australia Justine fled to France for eight days with her family to escape the spotlight before taking advantage of job offers.

She had planned to move to Paris for a year, but cancelled when MasterChef judge Matt Moran offered her work experience in his restaurants.

Justine is also paid to do cooking demonstrations, endorse products and cook at private function, and she is working with fellow contestant Lucas Parsons to host a monthly degustation dinner in Sydney.

Julia Jenkins:

She appears to be a bit of a loser out of this post MasterChef Australia job fiesta. She said “I’ve become a recluse since MasterChef.  She has been giving cookery demonstrations btu she is hoping to become a freelance food writer. “MasterChef has opened up a lot of doors,” she says.

She also says she is still looking for love.

Poh Ling Yeow:

She has been writing a book of her signature Malaysian recipes. Also she is busily painting for a new exhibition of her artwork, which will open at Adelaide’s Hill Smith Gallery in November.

Poh is yet to take up Curtis Stone’s offer to work with him in LA. She is mulling over some incredible offers saying “I’m not making hasty decisions. I really want to make something good out of this and  not just cash in on the immediate hype.”

She is also ‘madly in love’ with Johnathan Bennett, a member of the MasterChef TV crew.

Poh will be joining some other famous chef’s next month at the Sydney International Food Festival next month.

Sam Ciaravolo:

Sam is not working with food, but is back working as a call centre manager in Melbourne. But he maintains he is happy. “I always said that if this stopped tomorrow I’d go back to my life and be content,” he says. “I don’t have to need to change my life to be happy.”

Lucas Parsons:

Lucas is celebrating the fact that his wife Simone is expecting their second child in January. So clearly the rumour he had split with her was very wrong.

He is working on a secret TV production, as well as creating food and wine experiences for corporate golf clients.

But the judges have also been reaping the rewards.

Matt Preston:

Will be release his book Cravat-a-licious  next month. He has also signed a deal with Sony BMG to create a music compilation album, which you can play while you’re cooking up a storm. It’s due for release in November.

Max Markson also says that it is his understanding that Matt Preston’s agent his asking for in excess of $250,000 for him to  do commercials.”

Gary Mehigan:

He is filming Boys Weekend  for the Lifestyle FOOD channel while his other show Good Chef, Bad Chef has been picked up by the UKTV.

George Calombaris:

George will release a cookbook called Greek Cookery From The Hellenic Heart  later this month. Also he is working on opening his third Melbourne restaurant, as well as being an ambassador for Coles and Zoos Victoria.

However he also has female admirers flocking to his restaurants.

1 CG { 09.09.09 at 1:13 am }

news.com have broken / confirmed the story Poh has signed with ABC for her OWN series : Poh’s Kitchen and at least two cookbooks.

see: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26044588-12377,00.html

I guess Ch10 couldn’t offer her much without offering Julie at least the same so had to allow her to do a deal with ABC. I hope the show tanks. I’ve had enough of Poh. But I can see this turning into a 20-year epic like that Martin Chan show, devolving over time to be shown Saturday mornings at 8am… Clearly this is exactly what she wanted out of the show: a TV career. She has no real interest in working in a restaurant and putting in the hard yards to train as a chef. Say it isn’t so, Poh.

2 Simone { 09.09.09 at 1:34 am }

Congratulations to Lucas and his wife with their little ‘bun in the oven’. Looks like Julie is set to give Karen Martini and Donna Hay a run for their money. Does anyone else think they all look the same? I’d watch Poh’s show, I thought she was a bit quirky and should put a bit of a fun spin on things. Kylie Kwong she may not be, but she should at least be a hell of a lot more entertaining.

3 CG { 09.09.09 at 7:46 am }

Umm. The first MC Australia epi aired on 27 April. Which means filming started well before. If Lucas’ wife is giving birth in January 2010 doesn’t it mean baby was conceived in April 2009? I understood the contestants didn’t get any “home leave” until well into the show. So how’d that happen?

4 stickler123 { 09.09.09 at 10:44 am }

what lovely stories (most) of these are!
Julie, Poh, Justine and Lucas all are going great guns, Chris and Julia must be seeing each other and think they’re being ‘clever’ by lying.
Time to focus on the good stories, leave the liars behind,
isn’t that what the show was always all about, being positive?

5 seepi { 09.09.09 at 11:25 am }

I think Poh’s show will be great – she was lively and expressive, and interested in different cooking, like the cake decorating etc. I will watch.

I thought it was interestig that Max Markson said all the series 1 people had a licese to print money and would get deals etc, ad then Sam is back at the call centre.

I thikSam could do ads – kids love him.

Or kids cooking afteroons – he needs a manager!

6 . { 09.09.09 at 2:10 pm }

they had some time off at easter

7 Reality Raver { 09.09.09 at 2:35 pm }

CG – thanks for that link. Poh must be very excited about it. Good on her.

Also re: Lucas I think they were given a leave pass at Easter and also let out on Sundays.

Simone – Yes there is something Donna Hayish about her particularly in cooking style.

Stickler 123 – There are obviously some winners and some losers in the MasterChef Australia.

8 Gus { 09.09.09 at 3:14 pm }

We were at a wedding just before Easter and Chris was texting one of our friends (one of his ex’s) frantically making plans to meet up with her, so they were all obviously allowed out around that time. She was showing us the messages as they were coming in. At the time we thought it was romantic that she was leaving the reception early so they could be together.

We are all happy he didn’t win now.

9 Anonymous { 09.09.09 at 5:33 pm }

LOL Julie will never be Margaret Fulton.

10 CG { 09.10.09 at 11:51 am }

I wonder if ch10 will elminate / or at least downplay POH on the Celebrity series – ie no guest appearance? – given she has signed up with ABC?

11 stickler123 { 09.10.09 at 7:06 pm }

my heart goes out to Gus, the poster above, I should also share that someone I know is in the food industry and was looking to employ someone with cooking skills in a new business they are establishing, for consultancy, recipe writing and simple operations.
they considered Julia and then read about her and Chris and simply didn’t want the headache. Shame for Julia that she has dug her own grave.

12 Anonymous { 09.10.09 at 9:48 pm }

Shame for Julia that people believe gossip despite her saying that it’s not true.

13 stickler123 { 09.10.09 at 9:53 pm }

she said it wasn’t true to the media, we all know that accounts for nothing.

14 Reality Raver { 09.11.09 at 12:11 am }

CG – I love the way you think. I doubt that we will see much of Poh on the series at all.

Anon – Julia and Chris have been spotted all over melbourne. Both reported in the Herald-Sun or reported on Twitter.

15 Anonymous { 09.11.09 at 1:32 am }

Justine and Lucas have also been “spotted together”, but that was quickly put to rest.

No doubt that Julia should distance herself from Chris, even as a friendship. I think it’s sad that going on the show has turned her into a recluse. It’s no wonder with all of the gossip. I feel incredibly sorry for her.

16 Anon { 09.11.09 at 6:10 am }

Anonymous- Surely you are kidding when you say you feel sorry for Julia? She was well aware that Chris had a girlfriend when she started seeing him. She was not aware he had at least 2. Her denials in the media contradict what both she and Chris are telling their friends.

17 Anonymous { 09.11.09 at 9:50 am }

Yep, I really do feel sorry for her, Anon. I don’t think she’s an innocent angel or anything like that. But I do think that she has had the worst experience with the show. I find the recluse comments extremely sad.

18 Anon { 09.11.09 at 11:41 am }

Anonymous- sad if it were true. She has been seen out and about all over Melbourne. The only thing that has been reclusive about her is her ability to tell the truth

19 stickler123 { 09.11.09 at 8:48 pm }

agreed anon, she lies, enough said

20 sourkraut { 09.11.09 at 9:12 pm }

Poh-lease enuff of this media user.
Reality raver, about 1.5 months ago you asked why I thought being on this show WOULD change the contestants lives. I think you’ve answered that question yourself above

21 sourkraut { 09.11.09 at 9:19 pm }

CG
that’s easy. Chris B the evil genius slipped her one via the dreaded all teleporting mobile phone he had, while noone NOT EVEN THE MEDIA were looking Is there no end to this man’s caddery and bounderism?

22 Reality Raver { 09.11.09 at 9:30 pm }

Anonymous, Anon & Stickler 123 – I actually feel a little bit sorry for Julia. 23 years old and thinking this is true love etc, etc. Not many 23 year old women have great taste in men – as they think they can reform the bad boy. Unfortunately you rarely can.

Also I don’t really see any long term career opportunities for her.

Sourkraut – Yes agree for Poh, Julie, Justine, Chris and Lucas it has been a life changing experience. But the majority of the contestants have returned to their old life. Eg Sam back in the call centre, BJ Parker back to photography, Kate back to law, Joshua back to the family business.

23 stickler123 { 09.11.09 at 9:52 pm }

so sourkraut you agree,
chris cheats
julia lies
a match made in heaven!

reality raver – is doing a deg dinner once a month life changing? Is having a fundraiser for stray dogs and doing a cooking demo life changing? My point is that, the life changing stuff will prob only last until the end of 09 for them (poh & julie excluded) next years contestants will overshadow these guys and again and again and on the cycle goes until we get MC’s version of Casey Donovan

24 Reality Raver { 09.11.09 at 10:10 pm }

Stickler 123 – I think once he opens his beer bar and restaurant if he can get it up and running in the next 12 months will mean he will be a stack load of publicity and interested fans going to eat there. Something he would not have had otherwise.

I do agree their currency is only strong until the next batch of contestants come along.

25 stickler123 { 09.11.09 at 10:21 pm }

that’s a very fair point.

but when the currency has shifted and bankruptcy kicks in again?

that may not be fair but it is statement founded on fact.

I would love to see Lucas and Justine really get up and out there. They had so much to offer on the tv and were actually talented, like Poh.

Not much interested in the celebrity one though, if George puts his thumbs in his jeans and eats like a peasant again, and well, it’s all part of the fun.

26 sourkraut { 09.12.09 at 12:20 pm }

Stickler 123
In what way was Poh talented? using the media for her own porpoises? Cheating her way into two second chances and lord only knows what else behind the scenes.
Anyway so what if Chris cheated Boo farking hoo. Yes i think he was using the phone to coordinate osama Garbage bin laidens next terrorist atrocity

27 stickler123 { 09.13.09 at 5:16 pm }

cheating in any way is not ok sourkraut. We all know that.

Poh has a very developed eye through her art and understands some flavours – her technique is crap, but no one on that show had any understanding of skill require to be a professional. She just has the star factor in spades, i don’t know about you but did you watch her decorate that wedding cake?
Did you watch her plate her food? she has elements of accomplishment and is very articulate.

28 sourkraut { 09.16.09 at 10:07 pm }

Stickler 123
Agree cheating is NOT OK but the trouble is shit happens . If we worried about everyone who cheated we would have no economy, no Government, no film stars, SAAAYYY Wadeaminnit………….that sound like heaven….BRING IT ON!
PS yes she did a good job on the wedding cake but the crock of bush without a bottom, and the meltdown (rescued only by AHEM the evil CB) at the idiot wedding, and the mathematical expertise in making those crappy little cucumber based hors doerves and finally the comment “oh no not a SLAB OF MEAT” were enough to convince me, apart from her triple chance, that she was not a masterchef

29 stickler123 { 09.17.09 at 11:22 am }

although it won’t make an ounce of difference to anyone’s life, I like you sour one.
You got opinions and that’s good.
That whole wedding episode was a debacle and the evil chris didn’t help, he just made sure he was in front of the camera at the right time.
But now that Julie is advertising GLAD products and Chris has managed a bit of cooking at the Royal Melbourne Show I think we have established where MasterChef lies in the hierarchy of the culinary world in OZ and I can’t see down that far.

30 xx { 09.17.09 at 2:27 pm }

stickler123 why not take your very obvious frustrations out on your own blog. or would you prefer me to leave appropriate comments on it 4 u

31 Reality Raver { 09.17.09 at 8:14 pm }

xx – any comments a blogger does not want on their blog can be deleted, we have complete editoring control.

Sourkraut and Stickler 123 – I thought Poh was hard done by on the wedding challenge, as there were no brownie points for her staying back and doing a trully phenomenal job on the cake.

Of course she was going to be on edge the next day she had no sleep. If it had been me I would be feeling completely psychotic.

32 sourkraut { 09.17.09 at 8:18 pm }

Stickler 123 thank you! and you’re right, it wont make an iota of diff to anyone, but having just finished watching the news on SBS tonight its obvious as i said b4 that we live in a shithouse sinful world (father rapes daughter, racist attacks on Indians etc) and thus the machinations of Chris B pale into insignificance. in fact its good to have a few people like that to focus our outrage on, so that we don’t go nuts focussing on the real crap in society.
Anyhoo, my son says “dad have you had your two cents worth”? to which i am forced to reply, “it’s not worth that much” So y bother? A. cause it gives a thirty second buzz to read peoples reactions which are always interesting/ entertaining/ and in 99.999999999999999% of the time, of some value, and it feels good to get it off my chest.
PS believe it or not i am not Chris and i don’t know him or his friends, but I did like his effort in reproducing that complex looking layered cake thingy.

33 Chris Badenoch Won’t Be Teaching Ethics In Schools Anytime Soon | reality ravings { 09.28.09 at 9:41 pm }

[…] much of it was new? Two weeks ago I raised the issue of how he got the bone marrow at Coles in this blog post here, and also queried whether he had internet access to obtain recipes or indeed was getting […]