Come Dine With Me Australia – Who Do You Think Should Win This Week?

come-dine-with-me.jpg

If you are loving the Australian version of Come Dine With Me, but think you can do better at hosting a dinner party, http://www.granadamedia.com.au/ are currently casting for the second series, which shows you how much confidence Lifestyle Channel have in the show.

This week the first Season started screeing. The premise is exactly the same as the UK version, five wannabe dinner party hosts take turns in having a dinner party, and the other four score you. The person with the highest score at the end of the week wins $2000.

It would appear you don’t have to be a gourmet cook to take out the prize, but likeability and giving the people a fun evening will also garner you points.

Take for example Mexican party girl Jennifer who appears to bitch about everything, her food looked pretty ordinary, and was slow to arrive. Seriously how long can it take to make guacamole?

But stick up a pinnata and give out prizes and hey people are giving out seven points. Considering her paella looked inedible I thought she was incredibly lucky. Also I think solictor Ben has the hots for her so he was very generous with scoring. Do we have a reality TV romance in the offing?

What makes it good TV is different personalities are thrown together five nights in a row. Gail the “posh” one, well she thinks she is posh, is the fish out of water with the other four, however I noticed last night once she looked more relaxed.

Gail’s dinner party the food looked delicious, but because she spent so much time in the kitchen it made the other guests feel uncomfortable, and she appears to have a talent for killing conversation. I could not work out why she did not do more prep beforehand. Obviously the producers given them a limited amount of time to prepare to put some pressure on them.

I suppose the contestants must have to spend time cleaning their house and removing anything embarassing, as these dinner party guests are encouraged to go through drawers to find anything that will embarass the host. Jules, the one with the ‘flipper’ laugh appears to be the most risque at the moment.

Ben’s Australiana theme dinner party currently has the highest score , his food did look delicious, and relatively low key and relaxed. However will Richard Simcock who’s claim to fame was being in boy band Indecent Obsession, take out the prize tonight. Richard, has been extremely savvy, all week, being charming company, and not too bitchy. Obviously his previous media experience is helping him here.

I also liked the fact he used the show to make a point about gay marriage in Australia, yes he has been with his partner for sixteen years which just proves his point.

The show is incredibly addictive and once you have watched the first one or two episodes in the week, it becomes compulsive viewing with most of the contestants having a likeability factor.

I had not watched the UK version, but I have a theory that going either first or last in the week gives you a points advantage, however I am sure fans of the British version will be able to elaborate on this.

UPDATE: Ben the solictor took out the $2000, however Richard Simcock who cooked tonight was hard done by as I thought his meal looked great. Jennifer the Mexican party girl gave his meal a three, and really did not have anything nice to say about any of the other contestants food all this week. I am sure they will all be blocking her from their Facebook page after seeing the shows.

First was Ben (probably the deserved winner)

Second was Jules whose main of the beef and red wine was inedible due to the toughness of the meat.

Third Jennifer who cooked the worst meal of the week, and Gail and Richard tied fourth.

1 Laura { 01.22.10 at 12:57 pm }

I watched a CDWM marathon in the UK when I was there. It is definitely an advantage to go last, presuming that you are good. People will always be cautious when they score the first dinner because they don’t have a benchmark to measure it against.

Also people who try to be “fancy” generally get marked down. I.e. if they brag about organic food or give their meals gourmet names then people will be overly critical. Plus being fun and friendly helps!

It’s funny how different groups are a lot easier or harder on each other. This group seems to mark really highly, whereas in the UK they are generally much harsher. There was one lady who had a vegetarian as a guest and she made him all separate meals and he said that even though they tasted really good, they weren’t his “thing” so he gave her a 4. They are mean!

Other than that they are almost identical. I really like the show, even though it doesn’t have much substance or talent. It is my guilty pleasure!

2 Injera { 01.22.10 at 1:40 pm }

From the ads, I thought this was going to be hideous (and the UK version is a definite guilty pleasure of mine).

The first group has been an excellent mix of personalities and they seem to be enjoying the experience of meeting new people rather than letting the competition for the prize money take over. Gail will probably be a tad embarrassed at how desperate she seemed with the “she really matched the colours well” over-directing the compliments. Julie – the reason I was afraid to watch from the edits on the ads – is hilarious. Pity she won’t win. Was thrilled (thrilled!) to see Richard in the mix and I agree that he’s a great ambassador for gay marriage (although not such a great one for subtle cosmetic surgery). Was glad that Jen didn’t take the lead last night as I thought her consistent low scoring of the competitors gave her an unfair advantage, since the others were being fairly generous.

The narrator of the UK series really takes it to another level, by bringing that peculiarly British snarky-but-affectionate take on the proceedings. James Valentine (I was surprised to see that it was him in the credits) is settling into the job, but will hopefully unleash a bit more humour in the weeks to come.

All in all, I’m really pleased that they’re already committed to a second season. It’s a bit of lighthearted – and, at this stage – good humoured fun.

3 PinkPatentMaryJanes { 01.22.10 at 1:47 pm }

As a fan of the UK series I’d never sign up for the Aussie one but am loving this. The casting director deserves a big fat raise for finding such a diverse, loveable, interesting bunch. I want to shrinkidink Julie and keep her in my pocket I’m so in love with her! Like the UK series, it’s not really about the food, more about the personalities and entertainment. Can’t wait to see what Richard and his botoxed forehead have in store, think I’d like to shrinkidink him for my other pocket. Loving it!

4 CG { 01.23.10 at 9:34 am }

Ha! Was wondering if you were going to blog about this new show. I saw three nights of it this week. It is a bit like MC in that it requires a bit of a commitment. But I saw an advert saying all 5 shows will replay back-to-back on the weekend (can’t remember if it is Sat or Sun). Agree they did a good job of mixing up the personalities and hopefully this continues. But I was really getting sick of Julie by the end, she was just too silly all the time for my taste. Jennifer was a real bitch and I thought it was hilarious that her dinner was such a disaster. The sticky-beak thing gives important insight into each persons life and how they live but I think it is a bit contrived (going thru the drawers) vis the UK show. Like Injera, I also miss the snarky comments from the over-voice commentator, hopefully this will improve as everyone settles in. I don’t know if Ben had the hots for Jennifer or not, but when he won I thought he said the prize money was going towards his wedding. With Ch7’s cooking show starting this week I’m going to have to start prioritising between my reality show consumption. I just don’t have time to keep up with them all and watching taped shows will quickly start to impact on housework, social life and leads to unhealthy eating, as well!

5 Injera { 01.23.10 at 10:26 am }

You’ve got a sharp eye (ear?) for detail, CG! I didn’t pick up the wedding reference.

I really think Richard suffered most from that ridiculously (shamelessly self-helping) low score from Jennifer – of all the dinners, I think his was the best. She was so smug congratulating herself for not telling him she didn’t like the entree – does she really think it’s appropriate to tell your host that you don’t like something? Weird. Her assessment that it was all about “Richard” seemed way off base, too – he certainly didn’t come across as at all egomaniacal.

Hopefully next week’s group will be equally as entertaining!

6 Chris { 01.23.10 at 10:49 pm }

The whole show suffered because Jennifer marked low for really ridiculous reasons. She gives them a pinata and a picture and they score her way too high. Maybe they all drank too much and weren’t thinking clearly, lol. The others were way too nice with scoring her meal.

7 Reality Raver { 01.24.10 at 10:27 am }

CG and Injera – I did hear the wedding ring comment, I must say I loved Ben’s apartment.

Chris – I agree Jennifer’s low scoring nearly made her win, as the other scorer were much more reasonable.

Pinkpatentmaryjanes – I loved Richard as well and was sorry he did not win.

Laura – I am loving the show as well, and it will be interesting to see how they score each other this week. I wish it was on a bit earlier in the evening.

8 PinkPatentMaryJanes { 01.24.10 at 10:34 am }

I’m pretty sure that after this week both Gail and Jennifer will have left the country. Poor snobby Gail and her $20 worth of olive oil… But I can’t abide the self-serving low-marking strategy adopted by Jennifer – she’s obviously seen it work on the UK series, but her high scores for guacamole and pinata show that marking’s all about the alcohol level. I’m not sure how next week’s crew will fare – they’ve obviously hauled out the big gun contestants this week to get us hooked.

9 charades { 01.29.10 at 2:38 pm }

I loved the UK series , I mega loved the bitchy voice over gentleman ……….. and other than a bit of muting to get rid of the ‘ laugh’ I am enjoying the australian version.
As I don’t really have much of a life, I tend to watch it all on Saturday night and laugh till I wake everyone up.
I feel the mexican bird was pretty low in being so tatical with her scores.

10 uk bird { 08.01.10 at 4:02 am }

loving ben ……………..thats what i would love in my man gorgeous ,Gail was up her own arse ……..another to laugh at …Jennifer I would call a cheat who wont have made many friends once they all see her cheating tactics………..

11 Jarrah { 08.01.10 at 3:22 pm }

Julie got on my nerves with her laughing all the time. I think it shows nervousness but it’s so irritating.
I feel sorry for Gail, I think she’s nice. She was trying to inject a bit of grown up into the group. I’m sure the producers picker her as she didn’t fit in really well with the others.
Jen I could not stand. Who hosts a dinner that you know your guests will not like? She is mean spirited and not a good cook.