Matt Preston Says MasterChef Australia Not Rigged

Judges in serious "We're Not Cheats" mode

Judges in serious "We're Not Cheats" mode

Matt Preston is responding to claims by MasterChef contestant Geni Papacostas that because of her age she would not have had any hope of winning the MasterChef Australia competition.

In an article in  News.com.au based on a TV Week article states:

But Preston says the competition is fair and contestants are only judged on their cooking merits.

“George, Gary and I aren’t going to let anyone progress who can’t cook,” Preston told TV Week.

“It doesn’t matter about their age or cultural background is, or which state they come from.

“The only thing that stands in their way of winning is whether they can cook, and whether they have a clear vision of what they want to do after the show.”

The above quote of knowing what they want to do after the show would indicate that Chris Badenoch must be a red hot favourite to win as he has consistently said he wants to open  a beer mason’s restaurant. But does this mean if you are the best cook and you are not really sure where you want to go with it you won’t win Season 1 of MasterChef Australia? That smells to me that a bit of rigging is going on.

1 AWT { 06.24.09 at 1:01 pm }

I’m so sick of hearing about Chris’s beer restaurant! It must come up at least twice an episode. Ok…we get it dude!!

I actually find it quite off-putting to be honest. Why don’t any of the other contestants bang on about their plans? Probably because they aren’t as cocky as Chris is.

2 Wurstsemmel { 06.24.09 at 3:16 pm }

I’d be quite happy to see Chris and his ego go off and do his beer restaurant right now. Enough already.

Matt, do you really think we’d believe you just because you’ve got your tender way with a paella crust? Because you’ll swallow because you like someone? Because your constantly licking those fingers of yours? Nice try but no paella crust is being pulled over anyone’s eyes really.

3 Reality Raver { 06.24.09 at 5:15 pm }

Maybe it’s not rigged maybe Sam will take the prize. LOL.

4 Anonymous { 06.24.09 at 5:45 pm }

I love Matt, often he is the only reason why I continue to watch the show (since my fave, Julia, has gone straight to the final). But this quote is utter bullshit:

-George, Gary and I aren’t going to let anyone progress who can’t cook,”- Preston told TV Week.”

If this was true, then Sam and Andre would not still be in the competition. It’s as simple as that.

5 Injera { 06.24.09 at 6:48 pm }

Love the photo with this story. I’m casting The Princess Bride – The Divorce and have Matt as Fezzik, Gary as Inigo Montoya, and George as Vizzini.

As for rigged… I don’t think Geni was suggesting it was rigged, just that the judges are biassed (specifically, agist) and Matt hasn’t answered that. I’m not sure how much cred the judges have on this issue, anyway. I’m recalling “we’re weeding out the TV wannabes”/”these people are serious about a future in food” interviews and… we still had a woman who wants a spot on telly and another who doesn’t know what she wants, as recently as the top ten. Good one.

6 Daniel { 07.16.09 at 10:02 pm }

The show is an absolute outrage!! Chris is clearly the best cook out of the final 3, and yet Julie who can’t even finish plating a dish is in the final. Donna Hay fell for Julies emotional crap. Its amazing how everyone wants Julie to win, and she is in the final. Masterchef obviously will get some cut of the cook book sales, so put to and to together, and you have a rigged masterchef.

7 Allan { 07.17.09 at 5:46 pm }

Totally agree with Daniel. how could they chose a contestant whom did not even finish a plate of food over someone who is not only been a very consistent performer, but served up 3 complete dishes is beyond me. As far as the MS show goes i have lost all respect for it. I’ll put in it the same basket as big brother TV trash.

8 Dave { 07.17.09 at 8:02 pm }

This is fucking bollocks. Chris was the most talented on masterchef by a fucking mile. Everyone else is not worth a pinch of shit ESPECIALLY Julie. Im so bloody sick of women turning on the waterworks and tugging on the heart strings just to get the sympathy vote. Also, her cook book idea is one step short of selling her soul to the sook police. For fuck sake, “the last chapter is the most special because you put your own family recipes in it” fucking lame. DONT LET HER WIN JUST BECAUSE SHE REMINDS YOU OF YOUR MUM! She should have bloody well gone when she cooked the fish so poorly that it was inedible. Jesus Fucking Christ! “Snout to Tale, Stout to Ale” would have sold a shit load of copies and may have actually inspired MEN and YOUNG PEOPLE to WANT to cook. MEN AND YOUNG PEOPLE LIKE BEER! Not fucking homestyle mash potatoes, chicken and plain fucking chocolate cake. SHE WILL NEVER SURVIVE IN A COMMERCIAL KITCHEN ENVIRONMENT! too messy and too easily frazzled. BOYCOTT THE FINAL! BURN THE MOTHERFUCKER DOWN!

9 Injera { 07.17.09 at 8:14 pm }

Dave – I sincerely hope you are not watching the M-arse-terclass. The gasket would definitely be blown.

And it’s not just men and boys who’d like Chris’ book – I’m really hoping he does open up a place because I’ll be ordering up the pig’s head and as many pints as it takes to get over the fact that I’m crunching through the head of a pig.

10 Daniel { 07.18.09 at 9:49 pm }

Exactly Allan. And Dave spot on about Julie not being able to work in a commercial kitchen. She is way to disorientated and is always stressing. Let’s just hope Julie absolutely falters and falls to bits in the final, so we can see George and Matt kicking themselves about getting rid of Chris. Gary was the only one who didn’t fall into Julie’s trap, because he did say, can we redeem Julie for not plating up?, is it the thing that stops her going through?. Then we hear Matt say, after all it is a cooking show so the food must taste good, pure contradiction because he said, earlier that today is about presentation and what your food would look like on the front of your cookbook!! And secondly, they didn’t even mention anything about Chris’ presentation. Crap, Crap, Crap, Crap, Crap!!