How Marketable Is Masterchef Australia Winner Julie Goodwin?

jg4

Julie Goodwin the winner of Season 1 of Masterchef Australia continues to reap the rewards from being on this reality TV show.

But how marketable is she? Obviously the powers the be, ie marketing gurus think she is very marketable.

Since the show she has been signed up by Woman’s Weekly for a column, plus she was on the cover for the very high profile December/Christmas issue. She also is the Masterfood spokesperson, she will be releasing a cookbook in April, and she is a GLAD product ambassador.

However the gig that has most surprised me is you can join Julie on a culinary discovery tour of Vietnam in March. Apparently she will be a special guest. Considering her knowledge of asian cuisine was pretty poor on the show, I doubt she will be talking about the local cuisine. However the tour operators Travel Utopia must think she is a drawcard and will put bums on seats. I am sure she is very likeable, but would I pay to go on a tour with her? No.

However I would consider going on a tour with Poh to Malaysia.

However if you are interested in heading to  Vietnam with Julie Ph: 1300 312 131 or go to www.travelutopia.com.au

1 skye { 01.17.10 at 8:42 pm }

She’s definitely not marketable to anyone in our household, in fact I won’t even pick up anything that has a picture of her on it as her branding for me isn’t really what we go for. Stodgy food, lowest common denominator appeal, the triumph of mediocrity, safe, boring. She seems like a nice enough lady, but not interesting enough for us to buy what she’s selling. I don’t think that’s much of a guide to what the rest of Australia thinks though, she certainly seems as popular as ever.

2 Injera { 01.17.10 at 8:58 pm }

Skye, I’m with you. I’m completely flummoxed as to what value she could possibly add to a tour to Vietnam, unless she was strategically hiding her Asian cooking literacy during the show. This is, after all, the woman who had to be gently guided as to the difference between Thai and Malaysian food during a challenge and seemed completely at sea unless she was putting together meat’n’veg.

Still, I guess anybody silly enough to sign up for her tour probably deserves what they get.

3 Pictures Of Warts { 01.18.10 at 3:42 am }

Another fab post, thanks, I love coming again to browse your blog via your twitter updates.If you hear of anyone that is looking for information on HPV warts or just some online pictures of warts, please tell them about my site

4 Culinary Boner { 01.18.10 at 9:33 am }

Going on a culinary tour of Asia with Julie would have to be the equivalent of undertaking an opera tour of Europe with Susan Boyle.

5 Helen (grabyourfork) { 01.18.10 at 10:29 am }

Oh dear. I wonder if she was offered a free place on tour but then unwittingly became part of a concerted marketing campaign? The tour blurb says you will “learn alongside” Julie which puts a different slant on the word “guest”, not the presume “guest presenter” as most people would think.

Culinary Boner – rofl!

6 sourkraut { 01.18.10 at 1:32 pm }

Helen
What would you “learn alongside Julie”??
Culinary boner
Not quite sure about your Susan Boyle comment. Hope it wasn’t meant to be insulting to Susan Boyle, whom I ADMIRE GREATLY.
Incidentally, guess what my youngest daughter got me for Xmas……………………………………………………………………………
A copy of Masterchef cookbook volume I. What did i do to her to deserve that, SOB SOB, I always tried to be a good parent Sniffle.
I’d like to see a COOK”S TOUR of South East Asia conducted by my old favorite……………….Yes the dreaded, he wuz robbed, Chris Badenoch (Mwah ha ha chortle chortle and other assorted evil laughter)

7 Wurstsemmel { 01.18.10 at 2:03 pm }

I really thought Julie would have faded into obscurity by now. She seems a very nice person but there’s little to recommend her beyond that. She doesn’t have that ‘it’ factor. But then I wouldn’t pay to go on a tour with any of the Masterchef contestants…a tour of France with Manu ….where would I sign up?

8 Roberto { 01.19.10 at 2:26 am }

Aaaaahhhhh…..The delicious Manu…We meet again! I would be happy to spend a weekend at Parramatta McDonalds with Manu. The ‘Happy Meals’ would be on me

9 topsy { 01.19.10 at 9:29 am }

agree culinary boner – or the equivalent of taking an Indian tour with Justine or a tour that included any kind of food (not just alcohol) with Chris

10 Reality Raver { 01.19.10 at 9:43 am }

Wurstsemmel and Roberto I figure a tour with Manu on it would get very ugly indeed.

Culinary Boner – Very funny

Helen (Grab your fork) – you wonder if she is getting a fee as well as a free trip.

Skye and Injera – I am sure she is lovely but she does not strike me as being one of the great racaonteurs.

Topsy – correct.

11 salsateacher { 01.22.10 at 1:11 am }

Would I buy Julie’s cookbook? No
Would I go on Julie’s tour? No
Am I confused why Julie won? Yes

12 Paul { 02.02.10 at 12:31 pm }

For all the talk of Masterchef being rigged it appears that Poh & Justine are about the only ones to come out of it with anything sustainable.

Sort of makes a mockery of the conspiracy theories that Julie was ‘chosen to win’ because she was the most marketable. If that was truly the case they would have ensured that Justine won.

Anyway, its always amusing listening to CT’ers.

13 Rosa { 06.08.10 at 3:25 pm }

So many negative and derogatory comments… All the contestants, and especially Julie, really put themselves on the line by appearing on Masterchef. It would seem some of the readers here cannot match this generosity of spirit.

14 Karina Johnson { 11.12.10 at 6:16 am }

You can all put Julie down but I’ve been watching Masterchef Australia and out of all of the contestants, Julie and Chris excelled. I like Julies way of cooking even though she stressed a lot but I admire her wits, guts, determination and spirit. Well done Julie and Chris you rock. Cheers for now from sunny South Africa

15 Sonja Bichet { 11.12.10 at 4:08 pm }

I have just watched the show where Chris has been told to leave what a disappointment. Julie with her trembling lips and unfinished dishes not even speaking of all the burns and flops! How could she win? We will not even watch the final, and her book or anything she would offer will not reach our household.
An insult to the cooking fraternity.

16 Camel { 11.12.10 at 9:50 pm }

What a joke! Howe can someone go through when the theme of the challenge was to make food that looks good first and then tastes good…..it seems as though the judges predetermined what they want and picked her nomatter what!

17 Lynette Nortman { 11.14.10 at 7:55 pm }

. Justine and Chris were wonderful! We will only be seeing the final on Monday 15 NOV. 2010. Julie is wonderful! I watched Masterchef for the excitement and oh boy, the adrenaline flowed. Can’t wait for the next season! Good luck with your recipe book. Gauteng. South Africa

18 kerry { 11.16.10 at 6:49 am }

I am horrified that Julie won. This was obviously a set-up. So dissapointing as I really enjoyed the show. After following the series religiously, when Chris was voted out I checked who won on the net. I did not even bother to watch after that and I wont watch the next series either. Shame on those judges. Julie was consistently in the bottom 2, but no matter what she did, the judges made excuses for her.

19 Inge { 11.17.10 at 12:36 am }

Rosa, Katrina Johnson and Lynette Northmen, I am with all 3 of you. I followed Mastershef Australia from beginning to end. Yes, everyone are entitled to their own opinion. So i’ll give mine. To ALL the sag sobs and their negative comments about Julie, that may be your opinion. The food industry are massive, and there is a place for everyone. I like Julie and her food. she cooks uncomplicated HOME FOOD. Food that are eaten by so many families every night, cooked by them, in their own homes. Al of you that have something to say about her food, probably don’t even know how to cook, and live on junk like take a ways and microwave dinners! Julie, Pho and Cris all worked hard. So if you think you all know best, and are better than Julie, than I would really like to see all of you in the next Masterchef Australia.

20 Inga Lidstrom { 11.25.10 at 3:31 am }

Congratulations dear Julie !
I live in Sweden and I have followed your progress every day and I must say – I cried in happyness when you got your scores.
Hope to see your book in swedish som day and I dare you – I´m
going to coook your recepies.
Hugs and regards / Inga

21 Inga Lidstrom { 11.25.10 at 1:21 pm }

Congratulations dear Julie !
Hope to see your book in swedish som day and I dare you – I´m
going to coook your recepies.
Hugs and regards / Inga

22 Elmarie Turner { 12.23.10 at 4:58 am }

Julie won and no one can ever take that away from her. We all sat and watched how professional people made the decisions and may I just add that the end result was not even close … Julie you rock! Masterchef Australia was a great program to watch!

23 Henry { 03.19.11 at 2:54 am }

“but I admire her wits, guts, determination and spirit. ”

Fair enough but to pull out of 7,000+ people this as the best 2009 MasterChef is a stretch. Master implies the Best. That last dessert was not a 9 when cutting it required effort. Poh’s was cut like silk. Some who actually cook should know why.

Justin, Chris, Poh, Julia would have made sense on many levels. Mainly I would have picked them because it would have given them the platform to make a career and hopefully perhaps generate work for others. Start of a business would have been better bet then Zero chance with Julie.

I smelled trouble with George’s 7 for Poh’s dessert. Way way unfair and an insult to her abilities !!! Julie couldn’t roll the dough (without help) or make the chocolate sorbet (without warning).