The Apprentice Australia – The Finale – Morello Wins

The episode started with the bore, the blonde and the boofhead as the three contestants left standing. At this point I wanted the boofhead to win.

Theirfirst task was to have dinner with Mark Bouris at Aria restaurant in Sydney. Considering the chef, Matt Moran,  used to be signed to Channel Nine I was disappointed he did not get a cameo.

At the dinner Mark Bouris wanted to know what drives the contestants. For Gavin it was money, Heather her daughter, and for Morello he said he had  aspirations, but not necessarily material ones.

I am not sure if they were sweating because they were under the pump from Bouris, but considering he was also a bit moist it must have been hot at dinner because of the lights.

The following morning was an elimination, and Mark Bouris asked each of them why he should hire them and Gavin’s answer came across as quite arrogant as he said “I have been preparing for this day for many many years…..I do the deals that you guys do on a day to day basis.” Unsurprisingly Mark Bouris fired him.

Then to camera Gavin confirmed what I had thought that he had not really wanted the job.

I got the feeling that Mark Bouris had probably already decided this prior to the boardroom.

The final two were then going to duke it out, but they would have the help of six the previous contestants – three on each team. The interesting thing was that it was not the last six contestants to  be kicked out, as Lynton Pipkorn was there but no Amy Cato or Blake. I would be very curious to know why this was the case.

Heather had first pick and she predictably picked Gavin, and the other members of her team were Mary-Ann and Sabrina.

Morello picked Sam, Lynton, and Carmen. I thought he had the stronger team, and they were more cohesive.

The challenge was to create a brand identity of a new men’s fragrance. They were to name it, design a bottle, create a print ad, and also create and produce a thirty second TV ad.  And on top of all that they had to manage and design a product launch.

Morello’s team thought of a gangster theme, and the bottle would be in a silver bullet design. They were going to name the fragrance Clyde, as in Bonnie and…

Heather was having a crisis in confidence and was indecisive about a name – it was between Style and Adam. But Adam had already been taken. So she settled on the name Alpha Male.

I wonder how much help the teams get, obviously they are told to do research on the street by sending team members out canvassing.

Cracks were already forming in Heather’s team. Sabrina did not like Heather as she said to Mary-Ann “It is not sitting well with me that I have to help this person who was very bad towards me, and you in the past. If she wins because of my ideas I am just going to be gutted.”

I think Channel Nine need to do an extra episode, showing us the footage that we have not seen. As there was definitely some ill will towards Heather.

Then it was on to the event managers to discuss the launch. Morello had a lot of ideas, which did verge on tackiness particularly the ice sculpture, the event managers modified his ideas somewhat.

Heather went for a more elegant launch and their main focus was their product.

The TV ad had to be shot in three hours. Morello had the advantage of having Lynton on his team who had done this sort of thing before. His concept was a poker den with him being in the ad with the actors as well as Carmen, and Sam.

He seems to have a penchants for smoke machines, but this set off the fire alarms.

The bottle arrived towards the end of the ad, and as Carmen said “It looked like it needed batteries in it.”

Heather’s advertisement concept was urban man discovering her wild roots. This involved an attractive man emerging from the bushes removing his clothes.

Mary-Ann and Sabrina were told to wait in the car, and they were not happy about it. I wonder if this was a passive-aggressive way of Heather saying she did not have faith in them.

Heather’s bottle was much classier. I think girls would buy Heather’s product for their guys. But guy’s would buy Morello’s product.

The launches were at the Paddington Town Hall. Morello’s launch grabbed his audiences attention, but his TV ad was a tad kitsch.

Whereas Heather’s was classy, if a tad boring.

However the difference between the two was that Mark had a smile on his face the whole way through Morello’s launch, in fact he looked like a proud dad.

Michael Edwards was impressed with the Alpha Male name and was surprised it was still available. Victoria Campbell from L’Oreal also loved the bottle and name.

In the boardroom Mark Bouris thought their were negative connotations to the gangster theme, and he did raise the issue of the phallic shaped bottle. I think the shape would be a talking point. It did remind me of  a bottle of Lynx deodorant, my understanding that is one of the most popular anti-perspirants with the younger guys.

Heather got caned about leaving the girls in the car. Gavin kept on butting in the the board room and Mark Bouris had to put him back into his place. In fact I thought Gavin was slightly sexist speaking over Heather. She is more than capable of speaking for herself.

Sabrina finally got her revenge at the eleventh hour when she admitted she wanted Morello to win.

Mark Bouris said Morello had an infectious personality, but choked a bit when he was asked how he would deal if he had to make unpopular decisions.

Heather was praised for being a hard worker, however Bouri’s concern was she left behind a bit of human carnage.

It was no shock when Morello was hired, and I was happy with that.

One criticism I do have of Channel Nine/Fremantle Media was the way they edited  this episode. They made it obvious who the winner was going to be. I know it is there way to ensure the viewer is happy with the result, but it did mean there was a lack of tension in the last boardroom scenes.

I know the ratings were poor for the series, but hopefully Channel Nine will stick with the series. If they moved it to an 8.30pm timeslot I think it would get over the magic million viewer mark.

1 CG { 11.24.09 at 12:51 am }

RR, I didn’t think it was so obvious that Morello was going to win. I am glad he did as I do not like Heather’s style but I wasn’t sure Morello won until it was announced. I thought all the “daughter” stuff from/about Heather was an attempt to rehabilitate her for the win (I missed a few episodes during the series but has Heather’s daughter been talked about this much before…I didn’t even know she had a kid until today)?

I wish the final task had been more original. Hadn’t they al ready done a product development/branding/launch thing-y before? Surely they could have come up with something more original or follow the Trump model of the final task being to organise and run a charity event?

I was distracted for most of the show thinking about who the two missing contestants were. Why would you invite back only six of the previously eliminated contestants and/or not just the most recently eliminated? As you say RR, there must be a story there.

I was also distracted wondering why Heather would pick Sabrina? Or was it just that Heather knew Carmen (the only other option at this stage) was in camp Morello?

I hope Channel Nine does greenlight a second series of The Apprentice. The problem IMO is the time and the day of week. Late Monday is not a good time slot esp for the demographic I would expect they are targetting. We (if I include myself in the target demo) are just too bloody tired on Monday nights to stay up and get engaged. I reckon if they aired it Tues, Wed or Thur nights at 8:30 that there would be a big improvement in the ratings.

And while I truly appreciate the differences in the Aus series vs. the American, I do think they need to show some more footage from the house and the task winning team reward adventures like they do in both the US and UK series. This gives the audience insight into personality and interactions outside of the tasks and out of the view of Bouris. And no live final? Wouldn’t a live final helped to rev up the publicity for the series.

Also wish they’d do an unseen footage or “reunion” type show so we can get all the dirt!

Net-net I enjoyed the series. I like that it came late in the year so didn’t have to compete with Next Top Model, Project Runway, etc. but as mentioned, I think they need to fix the time/date it is shown. But a good effort and Bouris is great…he looked soooo yummy in his casual outfit walking in to Aria!

2 Reality Raver { 11.24.09 at 1:01 am }

CG: A live reunion episode like they do for the Housewives of NYC and Survivor would be great. I would volunteer to do that one.
Interesting that you did not think the editing was biased. I thought over the last few weeks that Heather has been edited badly, whereas Morello has been shown as an affable bloke, with fairly good business sense.

I thought Heather made a mistake picking Sabrina, I think Carmen’s strength on the show has been when she has been working in a team, not leading one. And she does have some valuable experience as does Lynton.

I thought the last challenge was pretty full on, but i do wonder how much help they had as the time frame was very short for all they had to accomplish.

Fingers crossed that there will be a second series, as I reckon they will have ironed out the kinks by then.

3 par3182 { 11.24.09 at 1:24 am }

The Morello win was evident from the promo – Mr B points his left, “You’re hired’ – as soon as Morello sat down it was a done deal (although I wonder if it was a trick when Mr B gave Heather an excuse for locking MaryAnne and Sabrina in the van).

Heather suffered from tunnel vision when under pressure but I’d rather have her representing my business than a sweaty blowhard who’d likely talk my clients ears off.

4 Sheila Black { 11.24.09 at 1:24 am }

I didn’t think it was obvious that Morello was going to win.
I think Heather’s treatment of MaryAnn and Sabrina was poor. Heather did not know about their desire for Morello to win because you could see from her face that she was shocked when she found out in the board room. I think she just didn’t have faith in them, which Sabrina I can understand but I think MaryAnn could’ve offered some valuable input. Its quite poor of her to choose the contestants and then not use them. Morello on the other hand found ways to make use out of each of his team members.
With regard to the six former contestants I think some just did not want to come back or may have had work commitments (John, Jane, Blake & Amy). Mind you some of the people who did return seemed like leeches – just couldn’t get enough of being on the apprentice.
Gavin is a sore loser. One minute he’s in the boardroom saying he’s been waiting for this next minute he’s fired and says he knew the job wasn’t for him.

5 Peter A { 11.24.09 at 1:40 am }

I enjoyed the series and hope it returns for another season in 2010.
One scene that used to make me laugh every week was when the fired contestant was about to get into the cab and would look up at the top of the building. Wonder how many times they shot that scene to get it right.

6 CG { 11.24.09 at 7:03 am }

Para3182: I agree that when Bouris positioned Heather leaving Sabrina and Mary Ann into the car as a ‘positive’, I thought the show was being tilted in Heather’s favour and didn’t know Morello was going to win.

Thanks, Sheila. I thought there was only 2 missing contestants…realise now there were 4. I still think firing Jane on day 1 was a mistake due to ageism and reckon she is bitter. Amy seemed like a bit of a fame whore so surprised she wasn’t back.

Thinking about the final more, I am really disappointed in Mary Ann. Sabrina’s immature attitude was predictable but for Mary Ann to be so childish in the finale was disappointing. It suggests to me that Bouris’ decision to bone Mary Ann was the right one as her display in the final – as well as her laughing and poor choices in the home shopping task – prove she doesn’t have what it takes. If Heather was the victim of negative editing, Mary Ann benefitted from positive editing until the last two shows.

Any word on the ratings yet?

7 reality raver { 11.24.09 at 9:16 am }

I thought Mark Bouris gave Heather a life line when he said (and I am paraphrasing here) you put them in the car because you did not feel they were backing you. I kind of light came on in her eyes, and she said that’s right. She also revealed the producers must have come and told Heather that Sabrina and Mary-ann were peeved.

I cannot work out why she didn’t just say come on set but I am directing.

Interesting issue about who would be the better “apprentice”. Bouris did not say how may people they would be managing in their team if at all.

Having worked in teams, and led them I have found it works better that if there is a positive energy. Once people start not wanting to back the manager or whiteanting them it can make life very difficult. To be fair on Heather you are put in these surreal situations doing challenges that are outside your skill set and on a very short deadline. No wonder she looked a be wild eyed at times.

No word on ratings yet. I will check out TV Tonight.

8 Liss { 11.24.09 at 9:53 am }

I’m not sure Mark has chosen the right apprentice but I understand his reasons for choosing Morello. Sabrina and Mary-Ann – agree with PP that Mary-Ann was very embittered – very immature which is the usual behaviour Sabrina. She’s a freaking show pony.

Gavin, omg, have you checked out his twitter page? Wanker.

9 reality raver { 11.24.09 at 9:58 am }

checking out Gavin’s twitter page now.

10 reality raver { 11.24.09 at 10:20 am }

Looks like a fake twitter account

11 reality raver { 11.24.09 at 10:22 am }

CG: Ratings are 834 000 source http://www.tvtonight.com.au

12 Rach { 11.24.09 at 11:43 am }

Just for the record, the twitter page is not Gav’s personal page. It is one that was set up for him and administed by someone else.

13 Scott { 11.24.09 at 1:07 pm }

I think the fix was in on this one.
If you look at the stats over the series with the final 4, Morello wasn’t the most deserving.

Heather – 6 Challenge Victories, 2 wins as Project Manager, 1 loss as Project Manager.
Gavin – 5 Challenge Victories, 1 win as Project Manager, 1 loss as Project Manager
Maryanne – 4 Challenge Victories , 1 win as Project Manager, 1 loss as Project Manager
Morello – 4 Challenge Victories, 1 win as Project Manager

14 dmc { 11.24.09 at 3:17 pm }

Agree that something was off in the editing in this episode. There wasn’t as much tension as I would have liked.
The 9.30 programming time was always going to restrict the numbers on this one, especially with a number of episodes going past 11. It needs to be on earlier. I really liked Bouris, he seemed like an astute and nice guy, however we needed to see more repartee in the boardroom. Morello, well it was almost like nobody wanted to win the competition. Gavin acted like a wanker, Heather deliberately pissed off her team and Sabrina and Maryanne whined like schoolgirls. Morello – the Steven Bradbury of the Apprentice.

15 Anonymous { 11.24.09 at 4:08 pm }

The finale was so exciting I was asleep by the time Heather was putting on her blue (suede?) shoes, woke up in time to see Gavin dismissed, tried to stay awake as the task began, woke up again to see Heather fired. So, had to watch it again today.

Heather and the girls in the car? Mr. Bouris, you know what the real story is. She’s a control freak. Nothing to do with who they wanted to win. She just likes to run the show herself and keep others out of it. Poor, poor management.

I loved it where Mark Bouris was asking Heather’s team about their experiences. Their lack of enthusiasm spoke volumes which Bouris chose to ignore. Why didn’t the girls speak up and be honest?

Sabrina’s comment about not wanting Heather to win on the back of her (Sabrina’s) ideas is a hoot. What ideas???? Ever?

I’d like to see some of the unshown footage.

Love the ‘Steven Bradbury’ comment above. So appropriate. I hope they have stronger candidates if this makes it to series 2.

The one person who came out well from this was Mark Bouris. I have a colleague who used to work with him and, apparently, what you see is really what you get. A class act and genuine to boot.

16 Sooty { 11.24.09 at 7:14 pm }

Scott- buddy, your stats suck

Morello – won three times as project manager – in eps 1, 8, and the most important one, in the finale.

If you lose as PM in the finale, you lose – it doesn’t matter if you or your team won forty prior times.

Mary-anne won as PM ep 4, and lost 8 and 9 (when she got the boot)

Gavin won as PM ep 3 and ep 9. What joy to see Mr Chesty Bond get the boot after that dinner!

Sabrina won as PM ep 2 and ep 7.

Sam won as PM ep 5.

Lynton Pipkorn won as PM ep 2.

Heather is the only one I’m not sure of – but she lost as PM in the finale, and I think won the art show ep 6 as PM? So that’s one win as PM whichever way you look at it.

I rest my case!

17 Sheila Black { 11.25.09 at 12:15 am }

Why is everyone (except Anonymous) backing Heather’s actions (leaving MaryAnn and Sabrina in the car)? I don’t think they were being whining school girls at all. If anything I was expecting them to stand up for themselves and tell Bouris exactly how bad a people manager Heather really is. I completely agree with RR – Bouris threw Heather a lifeline and turned what was negative into something positive.

18 dmc { 11.25.09 at 10:54 am }

I didn’t back Heather’s actions at all – it destroyed her chances of winning by showing her as someone who can’t motivate a team. I still felt M and S were a bit whiny about the whole thing.

19 Wurstsemmel { 11.25.09 at 12:34 pm }

Oh and Anonymous is me…not sure why I came up that way.

I didn’t feel MA was whiny but it seems second nature to be so for Sabrina. Still, a good manager would have got past that.

20 Wurstsemmel { 11.25.09 at 5:34 pm }

Oh..and someone should introduce Carmen to Haddasah, spray tan technician from Beauty and the Geek. Carmen seemed to have been modelling the ‘George Hamilton tan’.

21 Neil { 11.27.09 at 2:19 pm }

After finally getting around to watching the final I think Heather was hard done by. I previously said that she should have gone earlier. However, in this particular one on one challenge she was clearly the best.

Her ideas and execution were of a much higher callaber than Morrello. She is a control freak and having worked with a girl of a similar nature I can understander her actions and motivations a bit better. I think she was the best of the two.

22 Santina { 11.27.09 at 8:48 pm }

Inside word from the show, lots of editing showed the true story, hence why Bouris picked Morello. Not whiny school girls, 2 girls that gave Heather the name Alpha Male, found the location and worked out the look for the event… interesting to see how it was editied. The only good thing about the campaign was the name that everyone loved, and it didnt come from Heather and Bouris knew this, whislt it was edited to look like she did, I think he knows the truth. I am sure Bouris would also not have been a fan of the intimate relationship between contestants… Well Done Morello you truly deserved to win

23 Nic { 11.28.09 at 12:42 am }

I think Heather deserved to lose for the team she chose. Gavin I could perhaps understand, but why not choose Lynton next? Then she would have only had to deal with either Sabrina or Maryanne – but not both of them! If she was lucky, Maryanne and Carmen would have ended up on the opposite team, in which case, if tradition serves us well, they would have shot Morello in the foot. But I am happy with the winner. Heather can’t delegate to save her life, even when she is delegating.

24 Missapprentice { 11.28.09 at 9:40 am }

I thought the final episode was a bit of a fizzer with no suspense, crescendo or surprises.

It was just another episode where nobody stood out head and shoulders above the rest to be a deserving winner of anything, let alone a position in Mark Bouris’ Company with a large salary.

Morello’s choice of theme for a new fragrance was pretty predictable and over the top silly as since when do Australians have an urge to identify with long dead US gangsters Bonnie and Clyde and what market was he aiming at by doing this ???

The name Clyde reminds me of a work horse and who wants to smell like a work horse or gangster for that matter ??

Heathers name “Alpha Male” was pretty good considering the environment the contestants were in and the bottle was very appealing, but the promotion was very lack luster and too much emphasis on wanting to say the right things using marketing cliches, yet forgetting key issues.

I thought the least the model could do was to splash himself with Alpha Male fragrance after he took most of his clothes of , yet I’m still waiting …………………….

I also don’t understand the hot and sweaty pre selection dinner with Mark Bouris, let alone the uncomfortable pre selection dinner conversation which was more in line with speed dating questions than with a group of people you’ve already spent several weeks with.

I am much more interested in what else they talked about over dinner as you don’t need to take anyone to a restaurant and wine and dine them for a boardroom type question (!!) – just give us the dinner conversation instead !!

Anyway I am eating crow already as Morello won and I still don’t see how he can be of any value to Mark Bouris, but then again neither was anybody else (!!) so he may just have been the best of a insignificant bunch !

25 sourkraut { 11.28.09 at 5:44 pm }

What a joke!

26 Sally { 11.29.09 at 3:32 pm }

I think Heather deserved it more, she is awesome.