Dancing With The Star Fiona O’Loughlin In A Bindi Irwin Furore

Popular comedian and contestant on last year’s Dancing With The Stars Fiona O’Loughlin has created an uproar when she paid out on Bindi Irwin on Spicks and Specks according to News.com.au.

The News.com.au states:

Viewers branded O’Loughlin spiteful and hateful after her performance on Wednesday’s episode of ABC music quiz Spicks and Specks.

O’Loughlin described 11-year-old Bindi as a “bit creepy” before doing an over-the-top impersonation of the child star’s voice.

She then made a gesture indicating Bindi was crazy, before miming a slap across the child star’s face.

But O’Loughlin has today defended her comments.

” I don’t know what all the fuss is about! it was a throwaway line as a part of some banter on a comedy panel show. I’m a comedian and comedian’s make fun of people we know ! I’ve said worse about myself,” O’Loughlin said.

I wish I had seen the episode to see everyone squirming. June Dally-Watkins would probably advised her that it is not a good idea when one of Bindi’s former Croc boys was on the panel.

1 Wurstsemmel { 03.20.10 at 8:53 am }

A popular comedian? Is she really? I think she’s dire and obviously desperate for material.

The whole thing is being blown out of proportion.

That said….. I’m no fan of Bindi and I hate that kind of fake over-exuberance Fiona targeted but the key point, in the end, is that Bindi is 11 years old. She says she’s had worse said about her – well, the difference is that she’s an adult. I hope she bears that in mind with all the current references to her as ‘alcoholic comedian Fiona’.

2 Reality Raver { 03.20.10 at 9:33 am }

I tend to agree she is only 11 years old and as a mother I am sure she would not like someone having a go at her kids.

3 Sourkraut { 03.20.10 at 10:05 am }

Fiona WHO?????????????????????????????????????????

4 Jax { 03.20.10 at 5:44 pm }

I would hate anyone having a go at my kids, but I would also never allow my kids to be in the spotlight at such a young age.
If Bindi doesn’t want to be in the spotlight, that’s fair enough, but she doesn’t seem shy and retiring to me, and perhaps part of her mother’s responsibility should be to teach her about every aspect of the life she’s chosen. Part of celebrity is being open to criticism – goes hand in hand with being a public figure – where do we draw the line?

5 Anonymous { 03.20.10 at 8:03 pm }

It all stinks of Helen Lovejoy to me.

6 Jill { 03.20.10 at 9:18 pm }

It was funny.

7 par3182 { 03.21.10 at 7:56 pm }

But Bindi IS a bit creepy.

The former Croc Boy just proved himself to be a humourless dick (although watching him sit next to Fiona for the next half hour was hilariously awkward).

8 themolk { 03.21.10 at 9:13 pm }

It was a great ep, the ex-croc-dick was appalling – only there to plug his musical. Fiona was on fire. Like most comedians you like ’em or you don’t. I like Fiona, & think this is all a storm in a teacup – if you’re a person in the public spotlight, you can expect jokes, etc. Just becuase Bindi is a kid she’s not a protected species (if so, get OUT of the spotlight). The jokes were more offensive to Terri, if anything, be extension.

It was obviously a slow news week due to Bingle & Clarke moving on with their respective lives. Murdoch’s cronies needed something to fill the column inches.