Julie Goodwin’s Cookbook Release Date Is 1 April

Masterchef Australia’s winner Julie Goowin’s cookbook Our Family Table will be released on 1 April 2010. It has been published by Random House and should make them a motza. The release date is nicely timed to ensure it can slipstream into the Masterchef Australia Season 2 publicity.

The Random House website states:

Julie says: ‘In this book I’m not just presenting recipes but exploring the role of food in families and communities. I want to get people back into their kitchens and promote the joy of food and family. OUR FAMILY TABLE is full of lovely stories and recipes and feasts, with a strong focus on good old-fashioned tucker. ‘

Some recipes are heirlooms passed down in Julie’s family through generations, while others were given to her by friends and neighbours. There are lazy weekend breakfasts to enjoy with the family, weekday and special occasion dinners, barbecue and camp cooking, and cakes, biscuits and puddings galore. Julie also includes recipes she created on MasterChef – such as her now famous lemon diva cupcakes and her passionfruit ‘puddle’ pie.

The final section of the book is Julie’s favourite: a beautifully designed ‘blank’ chapter with pages for the reader’s own photos, clippings and hand-me-down handwritten recipes from family and friends.

With a foreword by Australian culinary icon, Margaret Fulton.

Will you be buying it?

1 CG { 03.29.10 at 11:24 pm }

No, I won’t be buying Julie’s book (and didn’t buy any of the other MC schlock they rolled out just prior to Xmas 2009. I’ll be interested to see if Julie’s book really does do as well as you suggest, RR. I’ve seen a few of Julie’s segment on the Ch9 Today morning show over the last couple of months and she is not very impressive and devoid of personality. And, I hate to be looks-ist, but given all the sponsors and focus on Julie since she won MC1, can’t they find a hairstyle that works for her. On the Ch9 segments and here on the cover, her hair looks very unkempt like she is growing it out. But the problem is she has been growing it out for more than a year. Sorry, I’m so shallow! As a final point, when I want a rebycipe these days I go to the internet. Shouldn’t the “blank chapter” of Julie’s book (what a great job, make money by publishing blank pages) include some CD holders/envelopes or something?

2 Anonymous { 03.30.10 at 12:42 am }

No way will I purchase it… Not when there’s 357283758932 books that have done the same thing already.

Blank chapter suits Julie’s culinary masterpieces, really. Like her Masterfoods tomato sauce recipe… lol.

3 Wurstsemmel { 03.30.10 at 7:42 am }

April Fool on you if you do.

Nope. Won’t be on my wish list.

Wish I could make a fortune from publishing blank chapters.

4 Injera { 03.30.10 at 8:22 am }

I’m devastated that she didn’t use this cover that I so carefully designed for her immediately after the win. Being all blank, it really gives the reader the chance to put their own personality into their food. Hmph!

No way I’ll be buying her book.

5 Bee { 03.30.10 at 9:10 am }

This was on the shelf at my local Coles last weekend (oops on their behalf!).

Anyway, I flicked through it and it was like cooking for dummies. There were a lot of recipes that most people would already have in their repetoire, like spag bol, potato bake, fish & chips.

6 Culinary Boner { 03.30.10 at 9:40 am }

Injera, love your cover concept. Though, maybe if it also featured the crraazzy Zebra from Madagascar they’d have used it. Why would anyone buy this when this market is already chock full of quality cookbooks by excellent homecooks and celeb chefs?

7 Peter Allert { 03.30.10 at 1:50 pm }

This is another example of Australia celebrating mediocrity (underdog) with recipes devoid of cultrual depth or sophistication!

This lady is wrting about culture??? A vile piece of sub standard literature no doubt.

No I will not be buying this book, nor do I know any one who wiill

8 Injera { 03.30.10 at 1:54 pm }

God – I just noticed that she’s including her recipe for “puddle pie”! That was the huge flop that really should have seen her eliminated, IIRC. Please, somebody, tell me my recollections are off!

9 Sian { 03.30.10 at 3:37 pm }

While I personally can’t tell a shallot from an onion, I certainly don’t want to buy a “cook book” from someone in the same boat.

Pardon me, but isn’t the idea of the things to LEARN from them?

10 liss { 03.30.10 at 4:13 pm }

Well I would buy the book. In fact I can’t wait. I’m all about family recipes and tried recipes. I have tried a few of Julie’s recipes from AWW – only one has really been a miss but I could improvise quickly and ‘fix’ it. The blank chapter doesn’t bother me, however I tend to write in the margins about stuff that I’ve changed or substituted… or I put post-its in. I’m a mega-cookbook junkie!

Random House -where’s my copy??! 😛

11 CG { 03.30.10 at 5:37 pm }

Interesting that Julie’s book is by Random House. Gary’s is by Penguin. Who is publishing the other books: George, Matt, Poh?

12 Injera { 03.30.10 at 5:44 pm }

CG, Cravatalicious is with Random House and George’s books are through New Holland. I guess the book deal only covered Julie’s, as George had already published.

CB – You’re right, Madagascar would have put me over the line!

13 Sourkraut { 03.30.10 at 10:41 pm }

SOB SOB

14 Elizabeth { 04.01.10 at 7:58 pm }

I purchased 2 books from Coles todayfor myself and my daughter inlaw and have been waiting for this day since Julie won last year! I looked through it and yes they are easy everyday classic recipes but there are a lot of people out there that don’t know how to cook period and this will help them learn to love COOKING and give an oportunity to write some of ones own favourite recipes at the back to pass on to future generations ….Bee

15 zara { 04.12.10 at 8:29 am }

I personally would really love this book, but unfortunately its not for sale in the UK yet. Can anyone help? Where can I buy it from.?

16 Meri { 04.13.10 at 11:46 am }

A book that contains more recipes from her amateur friends and blank pages for the buyer to put in their own recipes??? How is her name on the book cover then? A cookbook should contain proper dishes- not feck-ups like puddle pie which should have gotten her tossed out of the competition. No thanks, I’ll go out and spend a few quid on blank pages in a notepad and download recipes from real chefs online and save a good bit of money for Poh’s book.

17 howard harris { 04.15.10 at 7:16 am }

julie is a top chef, when will this book hit the uk,i need it for my wife, she loves julie, can anyone out there help, please. i am living in wales and just watched the final, could anybody help, pleasesesesesesese lol

18 Jordan { 04.23.10 at 2:43 pm }

Is it just me or are we talking about the same topic here? Seems everyone’s talking shit…aki mushrooms about her looks. Get on topic and stop rating her book low just because she’s not the shape of a twig. Now to her cookbook. Personally I’m purchasing the book for my mother because not only is Julie’s food great, but it’s real home-style big n hearty food, none of that fancy crap that other chefs make that takes all of ONE bite to eat.

19 Jordan { 04.23.10 at 2:44 pm }

P.S. to quote a wise person, NEVER trust a skinny cook

20 Kim { 08.10.10 at 11:57 pm }

Julie Goodwin is a reflection of the average Australian. Mediocrity. Professional piss-heads, dripping/lard trained older homestyle cooks, no national identity, overweight mother tampons, galahs galore…

21 Cecilia { 11.17.10 at 6:40 pm }

I love Julie’s food and she has a fantastic personality [more than I can say about you empty heads and dark humor] I think you all that’s sooo negative should catch a wakeup in life!!!!!

She has worked bleddie hard for the title and all the goodies / fame that came along!

JULIE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK – YOU ARE FAB GIRL!!!!!!!!