Masterchef’s Australia Chris Badenoch Under The Pump

Penguin Australia who is publishing Masterchef Australia’ third place getter Chris Badenoch’s cookbook must have decided he needed to increase his media profile at the start of the Masterchef Australia season two series by giving an interview to the The Age. And also attempt to address some of the more controversial stories that emerged about him when he was on the show.

This is one of the first interviews Chris has given to the mainstream media, as he or his managers appeared to be refusing media requests last year after his very own sexgate scandal exploded in the final weeks of the Masterchef show.

The article titled Masterchef Bad Boy Survives Media Grilling had some interesing things in it.

1. The Show Cast Him As The Villain, And Edited Him That Way

‘They (the producers) never showed me smiling, ever. I spent most of the time I can remember joking all the time but they kindly didn’t edit any of that in,” he says.

”In some of the edits they would cut to me not looking very happy and I’d think, ‘That wasn’t even the same challenge.’

”They recycled a few shots of me looking unhappy.

”It was obvious from day one that they’d cast 20 very different characters and I didn’t have any issue with being painted as the villain at all, that’s just the way it goes. I was more concerned about just cooking what I cook.”

It was unfortunate for Chris that he was cast in this light, as this ensured that he was never going to be allowed to win. He was a good cook, and certainly deserved to be top three. He had played it smart the whole way through the series, however I thought his strategy for the top three cookoff was poor. His three courses were all meat, I think if he had gone for something outside the box and nailed it he may have got into the final.

Also the editing has probably stopped him getting some TV media gigs.

2. He Also Spoke About The Media Attention His Sexgate Scandal Received

”I did find it all quite strange that they would waste column centimetres or TV time worrying about what relationship status you’ve got,” he says. ”And it’s also very biased reporting, it’s never a balanced fact-driven thing. And it’s interesting that I was rarely – or never – asked my opinion.”

Well the positive thing is that it is nice to get his perspective on the whole saga, however I seem to remember he had PLENTY of opportunity to comment on this. In fact I remember A Current Affair asked for comment at the Melbourne Show, and Tracey Grimshaw also stated at the end of a segment they had requested an interview. Also every newspaper and weekly magazine were willing to take a statement from him but none was forthcoming.

I think he needs to remember that the reason his sex life started unravelling was mainly his fault. Most of the media knew he had two girlfriends on the outside, however only really started chasing it after the Julia Jenkins relationship started leaking out. This also occurred at the same time there was an article in NW where he acknowledged his long term girlfriend Homaxi.

As it emerged Chris had another long term relationship who would have been clearly peeved that she had been being lied to for five years. It is my understanding that he does not deny this relationship, nor has he taken any legal action or asked for a retraction from New Idea. I think he is probably angry that he could not keep her silent, not about the claims she was making.

It is my understanding even when rumours were emerging from the set that he and Julia were together, he was still denying it to the media and in private. Also rumours of other liaisons with women were emerging. I won’t be naming them as I am polite like that.

3. He advises Masterchef contestants to practice, practice, practice.

He should also tell them to ensure they have anything scandalous in their past to expect it to come out.

The article was titled that it was going to be a grilling. Personally I thought the “grilling” was a bit like being hit with a bit of wet lettuce, I note there was no questions on the claims he cheated on the show, or his past business dealings something, I would like to know his side of the story.

1 Sourkraut { 04.02.10 at 12:40 pm }

See Raver I told you it was RIGGED. As far as cooking talent went he shat on the 2 finalists, phone or no phone. There were two definite issues that caused dear old 10 to crap on him and neither were relate to cooking! and no I am too gutless to say publicly what they were.

2 Liss { 04.02.10 at 2:48 pm }

I always tipped him to win – I liked him, Julie and Justine. I really thought it would be Chris and Justine in the final.

Look tbh I don’t give a rats about how many girlfriends he has – I do think he is innovative and I admire his commitment to snout to tail cuisine.

3 CG { 04.02.10 at 3:08 pm }

Oh, come on Sour…what two issues: his gender? his bankruptcies? his fidelity? please tell. we’re all friends here. ha!

4 Sourkraut { 04.02.10 at 3:43 pm }

Sorry CG Call me gutless but I’m not going to be politically incorrect!
Liss Absolutely spot on!

5 tyrone { 04.02.10 at 4:17 pm }

I agree with you RR, I would have liked to see the real deal here and he was asked again and again for his opinion about his girlfriends and wouldn’t answer , this was an article full of spin, nothing else.

What about all his creditors? What about Beermasons? What about the damage he has caused so many people?

I’ll be interested in reading an article about when he starts paying back $$$, that’s when he’ll get credibility.

This guy has baggage. He creates problems and then moves away from them. And he wasn’t the best cook, not by a long shot.

6 Anonymous { 04.02.10 at 4:43 pm }

It was a bit of an insipid interview.

7 takin' for a ride { 04.02.10 at 5:19 pm }

that won’t make him any friends in a hurry

believe me

8 Sourkraut { 04.03.10 at 9:49 am }

Tyrone
If he was not the best cook who do you think was? Julie? yeah right! Justine? youre kidding! Andre perhaps? Maybe Sam? 3 chances poh? ha

9 tyrone { 04.03.10 at 12:25 pm }

hi sourkraut,
i reckon justine and poh should have been in the finals. Poh has a sensibility and aesthetic that is conducive to cooking, not being a chef mind you, but to cooking. Justine could think on her feet, in all her challenges she was an effective leader, her cooking showed she had a sense of seasonality, a respect for produce and she loved what she did.
These guys are all amateurs and are still all amateurs but those two stood out for me.
Chris had one pig head stand out otherwise, I can recall overcooked, undercooked, poo-shaped, self-absorbed rubbish.

10 dmc { 04.04.10 at 8:52 am }

Chris Badenoch, your 15 minutes is well and truly up. Go home.

11 Annon { 04.05.10 at 3:47 pm }

Why would anyone want to buy this guys cookbook? He isn’t even a chef or own a restaurant. He hasn’t even worked full time (or part time for that matter) in a restaurant. A couple of random shifts here and there, a cookbook do not make. He wasn’t even that good on Masterchef. Lots of under and over cooked food. I’ll be spending my money on a professional that actually has something to say and offer. If I wanted a list of recipes from a homecook, I’d probably just aske my friends.
This guy is coming across as an opportunist. Which there is nothing wrong with. But by what all the other press about him, it appears that that has what he has been for a long time. The Aussie spirit dosnt mind someone that gets a break, but not if they have ripped off people in the past.
If he can get a cookbook deal can someone please give me the number of his publisher as my Aunty Betty has a few ideas for one herself. They would both be of the same calibre. Home cooks

12 Reality Raver { 04.05.10 at 4:17 pm }

Annon – He obviously wasn’t going to turn the deal down. The concept of a meat and beer cookbook should do OK, there are a few in the US, but too many here.

13 Wessasses { 04.05.10 at 8:04 pm }

Please excuse all the puns… but… Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!! Chris complains about the ‘mass media’ and how he sob, sob got such a raw deal. The same mass media he will be chasing like a rabid dog when his cook book is ready for publicity??

He was edited badly?? ummm, you kind of have to pull those faces and say those things for them to use in the first place…

14 AA { 04.06.10 at 8:20 pm }

I was in a servo today and saw that Cris has a colum in Alpha mag. His recipe was 4 meat pies. Not real high end stuff

15 sourkraut { 04.07.10 at 3:35 pm }

Annon
The “Aussie spirit” seems to have forgiven wayne carey, Mathew Johns, Rene rivkin and many many others. Dont make me larf!

16 Anonymous { 04.08.10 at 9:50 pm }

AA
Maybe he could have got the recipes for meat pies into meggans cook book which also had some ultra high end stuff!