Masterchef Australia – Aaron V Maggie Beer

Aaron was channelling his “Hey Now You’re A Rock Star” vibe to give him confidence in his celebrity chef cook off challenge, as he looked like Kirk Pengilly with his hair pulled back, and his designer facial hair.

Speaking of rock stars a big thank you to Injera for keeping this blog going whilst I was away, and setting the standard of what a recap should be like. And no I won’t be maintaining it. So apologies.

Also you will have to bare with me as I get a grip on the characters again, even though I read Injera’s blog’s I am still three weeks behind.

I have missed seeing the Joanna prima donna moments,  have missed Daniel completely, and am slightly bemused that Sharnee is still there.

The injured Gary Mehigan has now being replaced by a very happy Matt Moran, and George had to take over the hosting role of the challenge. Donna Hay has entrenched herself on the panel, and it is nice to see a woman there. And I must confess I have her cookbooks and actually cook from them. I think some of the boys sneering at her are jealous that she is a good business woman and is making a shitload more than they are without the cooking bona fides they have.

Also when Matt Preston was standing their between Donna and Matt Moran I immediately wanted to invite him to my next beach holiday so he could make me look petite and slim.

Maggie Beer was the celebrity cook and the challenge was to cook her pheasant pie, including the pastry. I was not surprised that there was verjuice in the recipe, but I was surprised there was no close up of her signature product.

Aaron who was cruising along quite nicely came a cropper when he skipped a step and put his pastry into the oven without putting the filling in. Was this the result of the Telstra Thub scrolling down to fast?  I noted after that he was reading from the hard copy of the recipe after this. mistake.

Johnathan decided to be his life coach from the gallery and called out “Don’t stop”.  So he remade the pastry, but left himself very little time to actually cook the pie.

Cue to the judges criticism  of the pastry being undercooked. But Matt Preston liked the pheasant filling.

And that is what matters to Matt as he said “Presentation is one thing but it all comes down to taste”.

Maggie’s pie was greeted with raptures with Donna Hay actually commenting on the taste rather then the presentation when she said “That is to die for, the pastry is sensational”.

A relieved Maggie easily won the challenge with nines all round from the judges. Aaron scored seven’s from the Matt’s an eight from Donna Hay. Clearly she is an INXS fan, as I thought that was overly generous for under cooked pastry.

Tomorrow night is the big cruise challenge and it looks it is going to be highly entertaining.

Donna Hay gave Aaron an eight, Matt Preston gave him seven, and Matt Moran gave it seven

All the judges scored Maggies’s pie a nine out of ten.

So he did not win the immunity challenge, but will  be saved the ignomy of being picked last in the teams in tomorrow night’s cruise challenge.

1 Anon { 06.01.10 at 10:20 pm }

Maggie Beer has a wonderful screen presence ( miss Cook and the Chef) and appeared to be very generous with her assistance to Aaron.

We think they can drop the pretence that the plates are blind tested. Think Matt Moran gave it away tonight with his comment that plate one could have been Maggie’s on a bad day.

Hope Maggie comes back for a MasterClass.

2 CG { 06.01.10 at 10:22 pm }

Am I wrong, or was that the easiest dish in a celebrity chef challenge to date?

3 librarygirl { 06.01.10 at 10:24 pm }

Maggie Beer was divine – what a lovely, generous woman.

4 Injera { 06.01.10 at 10:35 pm }

Argh! Can’t believe I missed Matt Moran! Will have to watch the tape… And Maggie, of course, although the Food Channel is good enough to give me a Cook and the Chef whenever I need one. Aaron really does have a Kirk Pengilly look going on there, doesn’t he!

5 dda { 06.01.10 at 10:42 pm }

Well, it’s a blind tasting, not a stupid tasting. If you get two pies, and one is undercooked, which do you think is the one done by the pro?

6 Cate { 06.01.10 at 11:07 pm }

SOOOO upset that Pratt Moran has taken over, could they have got someone with a little more warmth and humility like Gary instead of the overrated cueball? Get well soon Gary!

7 wallah { 06.01.10 at 11:18 pm }

Wow, I hope Maggie Beer never ever shows her face on this show again….she’s far too good for it. I miss the Cook and the Crackhead as well.

8 ericg { 06.01.10 at 11:19 pm }

I did not watch today’s challenge but I would prefer Matt Moran to Gary. At least, no contradicting comments to start off with. Yea? 0_O

Arguably, pie would be the easiest challenge ever set in Master Chef. Why pie? Sigh. Don’t call the show Master Chef. Channel Ten should just change the reality show’s name to Cooking Competition? I better not be a pain to Channel Ten. I have been pretty nasty towards their choice of judges especially Matt P on Twitter. Hahah!

9 seepi { 06.01.10 at 11:26 pm }

Maggie Beer is a sweetie.

Aaron’s hair is a shocker.

Very interesting that in recapping Aaron’s win they showed Gary complimenting Aaron’s winning dish, rather than Matt throwing it on the floor. I guess even the producers thought it was a bit of a dud moment really.

Maybe Donna hay gave Aaron’s pie 8 just in case it really was Maggie’s on a bad day.

10 akris { 06.01.10 at 11:28 pm }

Maggie Beer was very endearing tonight.. very lovely.. makes me want to go buy something of hers… The only thing i can recall is Ice cream..?

I love Aaron and would’ve liked him to win tonight (although i also didn’t want Maggie to lose) but unfortunately he did stuff up.

CG I can’t recall all the chefs challenges, but I reckon the sou vide one that Lucas won last year would be easier.. I’ve never sou vide, only seen it done, but unless you don’t know the temperature and length of time, I can’t see how you can stuff it up.

11 sourkraut { 06.01.10 at 11:32 pm }

My only complaint is that during MC1 I wanted to see Maggie B as the female judge, Not as a contestant.

Geos been learning new words. …Phenomenal, Bizzarness, wahnourtagoh.

Thought MB was too easy on the competition with a pheasant pie. She has oodles of lovelier dishes that could have been used instead. Still …better than getting hit in the gut with a model aeroplane.

TENSION mounts. Aarons stuffed the pastry. Poor old MB can hardly stop herself helping him out, thought she was going to grab the rolling pin and do it for him (or just do him?). Just shows the ease of the dish as she left her own dish for about 10 minutes to help him and Aaron still had time to redo the pastry.

Aaron who are you kidding? only “PROBABLY not” in reply to someones Mensa question, could you have finished without MB’s help. Man you would have totally cracked without it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Geo… Give us a Lleyton Hewitt CMON and fist pump the air, spin round twice, glare at the crowd and blow kisses.
Matt Moran on plate 1…… its not SAUCE its JEU you burke!
Plate 2… Matt Moran…… suddenly its jeu and not sauce. YEP good old blind testing. Meanwhile Matt MORON sorry preston looks at his slice of plate 2 offering as if searching for botulism.

Loved the look of UTTER COMPLETE SURPRISE on the judges dials at learning plate 1 was Aarons. LMAO

Geo’s abacus is still working as he adds the scores correctly and oh the UNEXPECTED Aaron loses.

Only good thing was Maggie B who has more class and compassion than the rest of the clowns put together. And INJERA, NO mention of verjuice so you should be happy too.

12 pollywaffle { 06.02.10 at 12:02 am }

Maggie B what a breath of fresh air in a sauna of insincerity.

Aaron aint heavy ( pastry excepted), she’s his Mother

Radar is still firmly on Matt P , tonite some notable twerpiness included:

…Affected ‘Plate lift’ to eyelevel during the rating – is the neck-jowl apron blocking the view at table level?

…. Bad vocals – Why are the English the worst pronouncers of English especially Rs!!!! – “Tomowwow there is a challenge that is awe inspiwingly huge” – uttered in a scary slow monotone that could freak out little tackers

… who moved the plate? Seepi – u 2 noted the throw was missing from the recap – mea culpa too late channel 10

13 pollywaffle { 06.02.10 at 12:12 am }

RR welcome back, you’ve got a lot of bitchin and moaning interlaced with conspirators and conspiracy theories to catch up on – it might be just easier to go watch Mullholland Drive

14 KC { 06.02.10 at 12:15 am }

Aww Maggie Beer is SO sweet! I wish she was my primary school teacher…She has that kind motherly feeling and MAJOR laughs when she was visibly stopping herself from actually helping Aaron 😀

Poor Aaron, he probably did have a chance cause he was going so well but yea, I have confidence that he will keep being AWESOME!

You see I don’t get it…He gets picked last almost all the time but he seems to be pretty liked among the others. I hope his team wins though tomorrow! I’m SO excited 😀 ITS LIKE MY DREAM TEAM!!! Okay I saw like 3 people there but I liked the 3 people that I saw in his team 😀

15 pollywaffle { 06.02.10 at 12:20 am }

skt – just got ‘wahnourtagoh’ – been watching QI, its fatigued the neurones.

Can I add it to the Geosaurus, pleaseeeee

16 whirlpool.net.au { 06.02.10 at 12:33 am }

How cool would it be if Maggie replaced Matt or a G?

17 Fides { 06.02.10 at 12:42 am }

akris, I was thinking the same thing! I did try some quince paste or fig paste thing at the markets the other day which was divine – perhaps I will go out a buy some just because she is such a lovely, generous lady.

The infernal drum music is me crazy though – I swear it wasn’t there last year. I didn’t notice it being in the 2 Season 1 eps I rewatched the other day (the soaring feelgood one is there, and the slightly suspsenseful music I call “space invaders”) … Whenever I hear it going on and on and on I just want to throw something at the TV.

18 sourkraut { 06.02.10 at 12:53 am }

Polyw
With my compliments. Problem is I have no idea what it means
ALSO
QI used a word tonight which i tried to remember but forgot(Als- heimers) It was when you imitate someones voice in a mocking way. Made me think i may be teensy bit guilty. Can you recall the word?

19 Jenny Draut { 06.02.10 at 1:05 am }

yeah welcome back RR!!

didn’t really watch the whole episode. but Maggie B was very sweet indeed!!

agreed with all you guys comments about why pie???

Will Matt Moran set out some interesting Aasian Cuisine challenge?? I thought we were living in a wonderful multicultural society???

luvvv various Aasian food in Melb, yeah i said it me a very happy Melbournian!!!!!!

20 Injera { 06.02.10 at 8:01 am }

Sourkraut: echolalia, or – as Jimmy Carr said – taking the piss…!

21 rusty { 06.02.10 at 9:51 am }

I certainly didn’t think it was any easier than Maron’s challenge.

Interesting that many of you think pie is only for cooks, not “chefs” (and no-one noticed that Fat Matt condescendingly called Maggie, “not only a great cook, but a great chef”), and not half a difficult as styling some half-dead duck on a plate in a puddle of mashed fruit with a few flowers sprinkled over its grave.

Obviously none of you have ever had a really top class pie. I knew Aaron was never going to win, long before he got his instructions mixed up, by the way he was banging his pastry around. Maggie by comparison, had classic light fingers.

I once saw a comp. between three top European chefs, each with 2 or 3 stars, where they each cooked their ultimate signature dish. One of them chose to prepare a game pie.

Apparently no-one had told him that Masterchef devotees don’t rate such dishes!

22 MelbaToast { 06.02.10 at 10:32 am }

I love Maggie Beer (Bear) after tonight’s episode. I wish she was my mum I love her so much! I’m going out after work to buy some Quince Paste.

I do wish Aaron had won this challenge…he’d probably still get picked last on the team challenge though, if he wasn’t going to be a captain this week. I bet he picks Jake first in his team – just to make Jake feel ‘some love’.

23 I like food { 06.02.10 at 12:02 pm }

Who is Matt Moran going to sleezely try to crack on this year ? Also I want them to bring one of the Iron Chefs in for a challenge…and maybe the host of Iron Chef to replace Gary ???

24 whirlpool.net.au { 06.02.10 at 1:00 pm }

I like food: I am now picturing Matt P walking around as they cook and grabbing a capsicum and chomping into it whilst turning his profile to camera(only the AD and cameraman knew he was going to do it)

25 TDK { 06.02.10 at 2:00 pm }

whirlpool.net.au – LMAO at that image and line.

26 reality raver { 06.02.10 at 2:18 pm }

Agree Maggie Beer is completely natural and unpretentious on screen.

CG – It was an easier dish as it did not rely as much on presentation.

Whirlpool – don’t give him any ideas…

Rusty – yes I noticed the old your not just a cook but a chef comment and thought it a bit off.

Melba Toast – I have missed 3 weeks and am wondering why no one in the house is feeling the Aaron love.

Jenny Draut – Agree it would be great to see an asian challenge and see some of the contestant’s kick arse in it.

Fides – Quince paste yummy except I eat too much cheese with it. I do want to try her ice cream sometime.

Pollywaffle – Mullholand Drive LMAO

Seepi – Donna was very sychophantic to her, she is obviously a fan.
KC – so the teams were picked for tonight, my IQ cut out.

Sourkraut – the verjuice was shown in the recipe, number 1 ingredient.

Akris – Seems to be luck of the draw with the challenges

I like food – I did not pick Matt Moran as being a sleaze – does he have form? (fingerscrossed)

Anon – great idea that Maggie do a masterclass.

Injera – Well Matt should be on for a few nights I hope. Actually nice change just to mix it up. Also good to have a diff judge on Tuesday night, adds a different dynamic

27 sourkraut { 06.02.10 at 2:40 pm }

Raver
Well that’s wot happens wen yer blink!
Injera
Thanks
I like food
I suggested that during Mc1, which reminds me, when are we going to see some scrumptious Sichuan cooking? Poor old uncle Chen must be chamfing at the bit, and imagine someone with his sense of humour and pleasant personality as a judge

28 sourkraut { 06.02.10 at 2:46 pm }

Pollyw
I just figured out why Matt did the “affected plate lift”
It was NOT affected at all. He was examining the underside of the plate to see that No sneaky B had smeared brylcream on the bottom of it to make it slippery and cause him to drop it, as obviously happened in the previous ep. OK fess up which wun of you clowns did it?

29 sourkraut { 06.02.10 at 2:51 pm }

Fides
Sorry, I’ve run out of ammo for the handy dandy jiffy wiffy ajax acme handywipe tv destroyer (due to overuse during MC2 and survivor) other wise you could happily have borrowed it

30 Fides { 06.02.10 at 5:15 pm }

Awww thanks for the thought, sourkraut! I have an image of you sitting in front of the TV squirting something like windex at the screen everytime something worth annihilating ( probably in a cravat) appears across the screen. Actually, that would be handy just to relieve frustration….

31 pollywaffle { 06.02.10 at 6:34 pm }

Skt – I can already see a new line of handee – plate holders, for plate tossers Great for those hard to grip dishes or dishes that give you the gripes

32 Jenny Draut { 06.02.10 at 10:04 pm }

SK

so agreed with you……….yummy Sishuan food is one of my favorite Chinese dishes…
whos uncle chen anyway? haha

33 sourkraut { 06.02.10 at 10:27 pm }

Jenny D
Uncle Chen is Chen Kenichi, “the Sechuan sage”. He is one of the 3 Iron Chefs. from SBS excellent Japanese cooking competition show of the same name on nearly every Saturday night at 8:30pm. He has a fantastic temperament, is appropriately humble and cooks what look like Delish dishes. (only problem with the show is that the Iron chef wins 95% of the time, but its still one of my fave stay at home and watch shows.

34 sourkraut { 06.02.10 at 10:30 pm }

Fides
believe me NOT a pretty sight. and yes it gives no end of relief to frustration, but its tuff on tvs

35 Real cheffing { 06.03.10 at 12:04 am }

I reckon Maggie was stressing because she was trying to work out how she was going to cook her dish as well as Aaron’s at the same time.

36 sourkraut { 06.03.10 at 12:24 am }

Real Cheffing
I think she could have done it with one hand tied behind her back

37 ada { 06.04.10 at 4:45 pm }

sourkraut
The real other word for sauce is JUS not your “jeu” which stands for ‘pleasure’ or ‘game’ in French.
Oh and sourkraut is actually ‘Sauerkraut’ unless you mean you are indeed a sourpot.
It pays off to get things right before criticising

38 pollywaffle { 06.05.10 at 3:51 pm }

Maggie Beer is on SBS’s Who do you think you are this Sunday 6th June @730pm – up against you know what