Masterchef Australia – For Those That Missed The Plate Smashing Scene

Starting to wonder whether Matt Preston was told to smash the plate or if he came up with this bit of dramatics himself.

I preferred it when he was just genuinely passionate for food. Yes the stroking of the paella crust last year was dramatic but it appeared to be genuine in the delight he showed for the well cooked dish.

1 Disappointed { 06.07.10 at 9:34 pm }

Yeah, that was the moment I stopped loving him. If it was his own idea he’s just not a nice person, if he went along with a producer’s idea then he’s not the strong character he pretends to be. Either way he came across as a spotlight-chasing wanker. So disappointing to see and both Matt and the show have a lot of recovering to do in my eyes.

2 lydal { 06.07.10 at 9:55 pm }

I’ve read that he said in his twitter account it was his idea. Only knew it before the scene, a producer and two camera men. Speechless he was proud of it…

3 seepi { 06.07.10 at 10:07 pm }

I am honestly worried for poor Aaron. He looked crushed after the plate incident, he has struggled to bond with the others in the MC house, and he is starting to look really upset all the time. On the shorts for tomorrow’s show he looks quite fragile. I think he should give up the MC cooking dream, and just keep cooking great food for his family and real friends – plenty of time to open a cafe or whatever later on.

4 sourkraut { 06.07.10 at 11:55 pm }

No! I just wont say it even though its busting out from inside

5 TDK { 06.08.10 at 10:19 am }

sourkraut – I’ll say it for you!!
MP, you are a w**k, just as well you have a fitting sponsor for your dirty job!!

6 Fides { 06.08.10 at 3:16 pm }

I can’t bear to watch that again. Everything about Matt irks me now. I need sour’s TV destroyer to wipe him off my screen. Still wished he’d just chowed down all the ravioli if he was really trying to stop the others getting a taste ; it would have been disgusting to watch but more fitting to the show’s “positive” ethos. Wonder if he’s tried anymore stunts like that since then which fortunately, the producers in their wisdom have not put to air.

7 Injera { 06.11.10 at 11:08 pm }

It seems to have been buried – unlike other really dramatic moments, it hasn’t been replayed by Ten much in previews for following episodes/ads since the event… so I think there are some people there who noted the horrified reaction of viewers and are trying to bury it. As well they should. Like the commenters above, I have lost respect for Matt – he DID tweet that he tipped of a couple of cameramen and an AD. Every time I see him eat something now, I’m expecting him to do something equally – or even more – crass. Spitting the food out, for example, saying “that is disgusting!” and after the break “so disgustingly good I don’t even want to share it with my sphincter”.

Matt is unwatchable for me now. He might get a bargain on some lower level credibility on eBay if he looks hard enough.

8 Emily { 06.20.10 at 10:05 pm }

When I saw that I was like.. OH MY GOD. Poor Aaron! Imagine how he must have felt when Matt said that! Nobody would enjoy a joke like that, at all!