Matt Newton To Host The X-Factor

In a surprise announcement (ok for me )today Matthew Newton will get the much sought after role of host of The X Factor. Actors across Australia will be gnashing their teeth and debating whether this is a sign that reality TV is taking over the space where “real” acting drama’s used to be.

Personally I think people can dabble in both genres, but I must say I would not have picked Matt Newton to be one of actors to cross to the reality dark side. But it might be a great role to improve his confidence after a stint in rehab for alcohol and drug issues.

I am glad that Fremantle Media, and Seven have given us a “fresh” face for the series.

Newton will be front and centre as hopefuls take the stage to perform in front of judges and mentors Kyle Sandilands, Natalie Imbruglia, Guy Sebastian and Ronan Keating.

“I’m extremely honoured to be given this opportunity,” Newton said today. “This is a massive show and a massive opportunity. I’m a huge fan of the UK version and can’t wait to get started.”

I am starting to think this show is going to kick butt.

1 Banter { 05.31.10 at 11:59 pm }

About 10 years ago I saw Matt Newton co-host, of all things, Carols by Candelight. He was brilliant. Funny, clever and had a really good voice. I was as suprised as everyone else in the crowd.
If you think of it, he does have a stellar background. Whilst I have never watched the X Factor before, I will switch over to see how Matt is going

2 Laura { 06.01.10 at 1:02 am }

I like Matt too. I wish people (not you of course RR, but I have read a few outraged article about his casting ) wouldn’t focus on his personal life because we know nothing about it, despite what Women’s Weekly and A Current Affair want us to believe. He is a very talented actor, and he was fantastic whenever he was on Thank God You’re Here. I think he’ll be a great host :)

3 Paul { 06.01.10 at 10:23 am }

Can someone explain to me the difference between X Factor and Australia’s Got Talent ?

4 realityraver { 06.01.10 at 11:26 am }

Banter and Laura I like that he is new to a hosting gig, and it has not gone to someone predictable.

Paul – the difference is that in The X Factor the acts get mentored by the judges, so there is a bit of competition between them as well.

5 Scott { 06.01.10 at 11:50 am }

I thinks its pretty gutsy by Channel 7. Apparently they are throwing $20 million at the X-factor. They need to get lots of eyeballs to justify that price. If I were funding it, I wouldn’t want to put Matt Newton as the host. You need a cleanskin as host (especially with the unpredictable Kyle as a judge). If Matt Newton relapses under the pressure (not a far out proposition since he only got out of rehab a couple of months ago), it will be a train wreak. Too much, too soon.

6 Wurstsemmel { 06.01.10 at 2:41 pm }

I think it’s a good call. Has to be better than Grant Denyer.

7 Not a fan { 06.01.10 at 4:28 pm }

My two cents worth. I can’t stand Matthew Newton. Only because I have seen him interviewed a few times and thought he was a complete prat. But of all the people in the television industry why him for hosting X Factor?? He should stick to acting and directing. I couldn’t stand him in Underbelly (which I didn’t watch because of his character – too arrogant and like him) but thought he was great in Changi. Also I heard that his movie Three Blind Mice was really good. But why be a tv presenter with his dubious past?? Why not just stick to acting and directing. Everytime I turn on the tv I will see his smug little face and feel sick. No thanks. Yes people deserve second chances but why do it so publicly after doing something so heinous as assaulting a woman. What messages does it send to victims and perpetrators of domestic violence?? That don’t worry you will be rewarded with a tv gig! My guess is that the X Factor will rate its socks off mainly because the general public will not care. I wonder if Ch7 got focus groups in to test Matthew Newton’s hosting performance? That would have been interesting. Also where is Brooke Satchwell now? Has she recovered from the assault? Is she still acting?
Look this is just my personal opinion, other people may like watching him and that is fair enough. I am just thinking out loud about the social ramifications of doing this and my personal reaction to him.

8 Banter { 06.01.10 at 8:30 pm }

Not A Fan- I had actually forgotten about that episode in his life, and thank you for reminding me. I also feel that there is absolutely no excuse for violence against women. On the basis of your comment, alone, I will not be watching it.
I’m embarrassed that I had so quickly forgotten.
It constantly amazes me how abuse towards women gets rewarded in the media. Wayne Carey ect ect.
RR- Sorry, I know this is off topic, so I wont go into a full rant

9 Anonymous { 08.23.10 at 3:15 am }

ah well he’s back in rehab and off the x factor now…wonder if the wasted investment in him will turn the producers of amazing race off cuzzie