Masterchef Australia – The A380 Challenge, And is Claire Lying?

Sorry to be a pedant but what was the sob story about Claire having nothing to go back to? That she doesn’t have a practising certificate. Huh?  A bit of research revealed that in Victoria you are registered as practising legal practitioner from July to June (ie the financial year). They are meant to reapply each year by 30 April, otherwise you incur  a late fee. But even if she had not re-applied she would currently still be able to practise until 1 July. (For those interested or anal like me you can see here the Victoria’s requirements if it is correct.). Anyway she must have resigned from her job as the Clayton Utz website has no trace of her, but if this story on the website Firmspy is correct her current partner’s information has been removed from the site to protect him and his family.

Maybe there is an entirely different explanation, but I think she may have exaggerated the  position she was in.

Anyway back to the episode, tonight the challenge was for both teams to reproduce a three course meal for business class in a Qantas A380, and when I saw the advertisement later in the episode I was definitely feeling envious of those people who are able to fly in that section of the plane!

However a greater challenge for them would be to cook a meal have it in a refrigerator for 12 hours and then heated up and see how edible it was then.

Jonathan was captain, and he strategically picked Joanne to head the other team.

“Since I always pick blue and lose  in blue I will pick blue,” said Jono as he picked up the blue apron, clearly using my Anzac Day two- up strategy. (For the record I once lost all my money on seven heads in a row.) He picked Marion first, then Claire, Matthew and Alvin.

Whereas Joanne picked Callum first which I thought was interesting, she must rate him or think he is a judges favourite. She also picked Adam and Aaron.

They had 15 minutes to menu plan and 90 minutes to cook before the food was carted off to the airport. Lucky for the teams there was a lot of quail in the Masterchef pantry on this day.

Did anyone else think it was strange that both teams picked quail for main? Also they both had poached prawns for entree. The show went to great lengths to try and show the similar menu was a pure coincidence. Jonathan was shown considering changing his menu but didn’t as they did not have time, and Matt Preston also asked Joanne about whether she was worried about the similarity.

This challenge was the same as the one on the US show Top Chef, however on that episode the people were served their food in the airline seats. However in a sense this was better marketing for Qantas as we had  the slick plane in the background burning the brand into our brains as they tasted and judged the food.

I thought with all the chat about the importance of  not forgetting anything, that something was going to be left behind, but it was not.

The blue served  first to the judging panel of Matt Preston, Gary Mehigan, Qantas CEO Alan Joyce , and Neil Perry. Personally I did not miss George Calombaris sneering at the food and the contestants.

For entree they served lightly poached coconut prawns with an asian dressing made by Marion. The dish was now sans fresh herbs, because Neil Perry had advised her they would need to be washed in chlorinated water.  Neil was not happy with presentation. It did look bland and a big serving of prawns.

Gary said it was missing vegetables, and Matt Preston thought it was disappointing dish.

Next was a confit of quail in a five star jus with a chinese salad, made by Alvin and Claire. The quail looked grey, and the sauce oily.

Alan Joyce thought it was disappointing. Neil Perry thought the wow factor was lacking considering they were five contestants at the pointy end of the competition.

Dessert cooked by Matthew was a chocolate caramel fudge cake with ginger anglaise sauce. I hope that recipe gets put up on the Masterchef website. Alan gave it the ultimate accolade and said he would be happy to have it served on Qantas.

The red team was next and for entree Aaron had poached prawns and served them with yuzu mayonnaisse and baby vegetables.  He was more restrained about the amount of prawns he served up, with only two a plate.

Matt didn’t like the preparation of the beets, whilst Gary loved the yuzu mayo, but was not that enthusiastic about the prawns.

They all gushed over the main of  teriyaki quail with soba noodles and grilled vegetables. Alan who was concerned about the lack of mass appeal of quail as a main meal, named this the dish of the night.

I thought the red teams main looked a bit more high end.

For dessert was Callum’s pistachio cake with a chocolate mousse and a raspberry coulis. Neil did not like the presentation ie his attempt at high end plating, and Gary agreed he thought  it was a bit try hard.

The next day when the teams were facing the judges, Joanne’s vegetables were criticised, and she said she would take it on board for next time. Also Callum who was also criticised about his dessert said  “I am battling to find a medium between what I want to do and what I can do.”

Matthew was the only one getting any judge loving when he was told his dessert was something Qantas would serve on the plane. Matt Preston told Marion her dish was the worst of the day. She said since she could not use herbs she should have asked about using other vegetables like cucumber. Exactly if you are serving a salad with your main, it would be logical that you would be able to use similar ingredients in the entree.

When red team was told they had won Joanne claimed victory as her own she said “I feel I have done something right” and “I am taking my team to a reward lunch” instantly forgetting her vegetables nearly put them in the elimination challenge.

All of the blue team will be up for elimination when they go through a taste test, which concerns me as one of the good cooks could go because of a brain snap. Jonathan just looked stunned that he was in ANOTHER elimination challenge. Marion was crying  as she felt like she has the rest of her life riding on this, Claire thought she better one up Marion by going for the sympathy vote with her “I don’t have much to go back to…..  I don’t have a practising certificate so I can’t go back to being a lawyer”. And you all know I think that is bollocks.

1 Heléna { 06.16.10 at 11:22 pm }

I did not get why the herbs could not be used – sydney water has chlorine added, surely that’s the same as using vegetables

2 Zibb { 06.16.10 at 11:25 pm }

I really hope Mathew goes tomorrow, I think all the others are much better cooks

3 rusty { 06.16.10 at 11:30 pm }

I was finding JoJo very tiresome til the moment Claire pulled her “poor hard-done-by me” pretence in an attempt to upstage Marion in the sob story stakes.

Apart from the blatant attempt at manipulation, her quail dish would have me reaching for the paper bag at 9000 meters. It looked VILE – surely Alvin can’t have been involved in that dish? The whole team deserved to lose for allowing that dish to be seen in public.

It looked like something the cat just threw up.

4 sourkraut { 06.16.10 at 11:34 pm }

Gad that was a goood rain forest mushroom magica a la morency washed down with a fine tequila for din dins last night.
Problem now, is I have this infernal buzzing in my head that wont go away bbbrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR in bbbbbeeeeeeeeee flaaaaaaaaat. Its also left me empty and broken, incapable of coherent praise, and whats more I seem to have eaten my do- goodism thesaurus. SIGH. I can FEEL myself slipping back to the ULTRA sour mode.
Nothing to report.
The CORRECT TEAM WON

5 pollywaffle { 06.16.10 at 11:37 pm }

Did I just step into the twilight zone – Adam is wrapped his food is good enough to serve on an plane? And, what a shiny plane ( handeewipes to the rescue!)

Pity last time I travelled and got a pack with NPs name on it, there was a wow factor alright, a plum and and a rather hard slab of fruitcake, a case of wow I cant believe they can get away with serving this rubbish.

The ‘Im a poor little matchgirl’ act by Claire ‘Win at all costs and then Burn’ will turn an entire generation off law- there goes the lunch industry.

Did ch10 think do a psych assessment on these people? Or maybe the diversity is what got several through, despite their cooking. I think she needs to cook a bunny, soon

6 Muru { 06.16.10 at 11:40 pm }

It was pretty obvious the red team won when the only thing the judges could pick at with Callum’s dish was the presentation. They said the flavour was there, and apparently that’s all that matters in the end as they so often say.

I don’t think Matthew will go tomorrow. We haven’t had an elimination that has surprised us in a while and I think tomorrow is the time for another one. My guess is that Claire or Alvin will go, but I’ll place my money on Claire.

7 Wurstsemmel { 06.16.10 at 11:41 pm }

A side serve of bollocks it most likely is RR. Unless you’ve been struck off for some reason, reregistration should not be an issue. I’m no lawyer but am subject to a similar scheme.

I wonder how bad such a statement must make the partner and his abandoned wife feel?

I have to say watching this episode I never want to hear another aeroplane pun again.

The reason they didn’t serve the food inboard is that Matt would have needed to book two seats. The food looked largely unappetizing except for the red main and blue dessert.

What had happened to Joanne? The lucky plait got replaced by the double lucky kewpie doll cheeks. Add to that the cheek in putting her unsolicited on the veggies forward. I feel cheated she gets to stay one more week. Achieved success? Conveniently forgot her dirty veg.

Ted team deserved to win over blue but the reality is that one of the better cooks will be all washed up tomorrow.

8 pollywaffle { 06.16.10 at 11:46 pm }

Wurst – agree Joanne’s got a scary ‘carnivale’ vibe – wonder if its going to go full ‘Baby Jane’?

9 Fides { 06.16.10 at 11:50 pm }

I’m refusing to let Jo annoy me like she does many other people. Yes her vegies were dreadful, and she was gloating just a bit too much on her role in the team’s victory, but I just have to smile at all her comments. Somewhat delusional, but she’s honest and clearly doesn’t over think it.

Claire – hmmmm – that would make her a liar. Or could there be some other reason for her to lose her practising license? That main course looked so appalling – thought Matt would call it a yum yuck, or in this case, it was just a yuck yuck dish.

10 pollywaffle { 06.16.10 at 11:51 pm }

George, why didnt you turn up tonight ( too busy rehearsing King Lear?)
I wanted to use ” snake on a plane”

11 Wurstsemmel { 06.16.10 at 11:56 pm }

Oh Pollywaffle, I had you down for something re Matt and Qantarse

12 sourkraut { 06.17.10 at 12:15 am }

Paul
My tiny brain is still fuzzy, but i have a question for you.
Do you have the ratings figures for NSW and QLD for Masterchef for tonite? Just curious to see how it went when it came up against another popular program? (no I did not watch S of O tonite)

13 AnonyMousse { 06.17.10 at 12:17 am }

Am I imagining it, or is having one less person on the team actually an advantage? All the challenges I can remember (and I’ll readily admit that I quickly forget them afterwards) had the smaller team winning.

14 sourkraut { 06.17.10 at 12:19 am }

People oh people
You are such an unkind lot,criticism is not naice.

15 pollywaffle { 06.17.10 at 12:34 am }

anonymouse – too many cooks, sorry amata cooks

16 ToTo { 06.17.10 at 12:47 am }

Thats right… no matter what .. this is a competition and contestants are meant to compete strategically. “One up Marion” may be part of the strategy, and if that is true, I consider her fast in thinking. ALL THE WAY CLAIRE !! !

17 Airwalk { 06.17.10 at 3:57 am }

oh bugger, wanted 3 of the red team to go so shame blue was bad-the only thing I thought was appealing was Matts dessert, everything else not first class at all…wtf are the tasting in tomorrows elinination? an elephant turd cake?
Here’s an interesting article folks: (and don’t forget the spoiler thread for those with goss or inside info on MC) http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/harsh-reality-for-tv-survivors-20100616-yf88.html

18 Nancy { 06.17.10 at 5:43 am }

Thanks for posting that article Airwalk. Really pleased for Fiona and hope her success continues. And, no, i am not family or a friend :-)

19 librarygirl { 06.17.10 at 9:23 am }

What I thought amusing was that the slimy chicken and gluggy prawns from the blues looked EXACTLY like “real” aeroplane food
(in cattle class, not business!)
Can someone explain why they couldn’t take the herbs/had to wash them in pool water or whatever?
Is this a Food Police thing?

20 wallah { 06.17.10 at 10:06 am }

Airwalk….thanks for the article. But no mention of Laura Gissara, my favest Idle contestant ever. As a matter of fact, stopped watching it after she got the boot, poor thing.
One thing is for certain, a lot of these people better learn how to make a 3 flat whites at once. There’s quite a few people out there who have been in the entertainment industry for years who know that the time in-between jobs can be quite long. Just ask the dude in the bottleshop unloading pallets of beer or the bright outgoing young thing who brings you a glass of wine. They’re the folks who dress up as gnomes at garden shows because it pays money, something that a lot of reality tv contestants seem to think they don’t have to do to get themselves recognised and famous. That also includes commercial cookery apprenticeships.

21 Sooty { 06.17.10 at 10:08 am }

Well, bummer for Claire it’s a taste test. I’m sure she was planning to ratchet up the melodrama and the weepy reminders of her sorry state ‘certificateless, kind sirs!’ ‘Pity a poor wee woman with no certificate!’ if she got in the bottom three in the elimination cookoff.

Yeah, and why couldn’t they take in a nice lidded jug or thermos of Sydney water and rinse the herbs with it. There’s a ton of chlorine in that, isn’t there?

22 Paul { 06.17.10 at 10:14 am }

Sour.
Ratings aren’t out until 2pm for some reason today.

Bit harsh on Claire some of you. I’m sure everyone is guilty of exaggerating a situation in the heat of the moment at one stage in their lives. And who knows, it may not even be exaggerated. We do not know her personal circumstances.

I can’t see Jono or Marion getting a taste test wrong and think it will be between Alvin, Claire or Matthew tonight. With a slight edge to Matthew due to his younger, more inexpereinced palate.

23 Sooty { 06.17.10 at 10:28 am }

Truth isn’t important? Funny old world then.

24 ericg { 06.17.10 at 11:13 am }

Jo: I can’t stand her boastful character!

Marion: The crying part, no NO NOOOO! I might think she has been asked to dish up an crappy dish!

Claire: Paul, I don’t think we are being harsh on her. RR, you aren’t being @nal here having to have looked into the Victorian Lawyers’ requirements to practice. This was what I have tweeted last evening – “Oh my God! Can they not cry?! And Claire, you can always reapply for your prac cert, stupid! #MasterChef”. If she really want to work in the kitchen then say so. She doesn’t have to make a fool out of herself.

And, I do think that the Red Team deserves to win (though I was only watching the bits and pieces). Well done.

25 Wurstsemmel { 06.17.10 at 11:17 am }

It’s hard to buy the practising certificate story, Paul. People recognise bullshit for what it is.

Any of the professions that require registration for practice, it’s not likely that you would be prevented from reregistration simply because you let registration lapse. If it were for an extended period, you might have to go through the process of proving eligibility to practise again but we’re talking months here, not years. And, while that rice and quail dish Claire served up last night certainly looked criminal, I don’t think it would qualify as a reason for refusal of reregistration.

Not harsh, just factual.

26 Paul { 06.17.10 at 12:05 pm }

“And, while that rice and quail dish Claire served up last night certainly looked criminal, I don’t think it would qualify as a reason for refusal of reregistration. ”

Very funny Wurstsemmel

27 MelbaToast { 06.17.10 at 12:14 pm }

I have a feeling that Claire was going to say more about why she had nothing to go back to – but she was cut off by Gary (I think). Maybe she was going to say something about her relationship as well…maybe.

Talk about product placement – the Qantas A380 sure prooves that the “sky’ the limit” when it comes to product placement.

The blue teams main meal look horrible – a bit like the Shell oil spill that’s going on at the moment.

I’m keen to see who goes home – it won’t be Jono given that the previews are making us think it is going to be him with the “is Jono’s time finally up” crapola.

28 Fides { 06.17.10 at 1:13 pm }

MelbaToast, I had that impression too, about Claire having nothing to go back to… though I thought I was reading too much into it.

I saw the ads C10 ran later last night for tonight’s show, and it emphasised “One of your favourites will be going home” – it focussed on Marion, Claire, Jono, then Alvin to a lesser extent. I didn’t really notice Matthew in the ad. Matt P said something in one of the articles Raver posted about Claire lacking experience in eliminations and questioning her nerves. So perhaps she’ll be the first to stumble. Who will be the first to cry though?

29 Joy { 06.17.10 at 2:14 pm }

This has to be the worst episode of the season. I think all the food looked extremely unappealing and unprofessional.

It was a pity that the food wasn’t served to real passengers, since usually team challenges involve the public judging them in some way. I was very disappointed that their big plane meal got served immediately after putting it on the plane to four people sitting in a hangar.

And Joanne! I loved the interruption assuring the judges that she’ll really take on board their comments and thanking them for the feedback. Haha! And then apparentally she’s the one shouting all her team lunch.

30 sourkraut { 06.17.10 at 2:29 pm }

One question for “pony tail” His quote was something like… “if it tastes good on the ground it will taste brilliant in the air” On wot basis is that statement made and does it have anything to do with eating the meal b4 or after joining the Mile High club?

31 MelbaToast { 06.17.10 at 2:35 pm }

Sour – i think, given the state and looks of the food that was acutally served – ‘ponytails’ statement was WAY off. Everything looked a bit…blah! Even a session of aircraft bathroom delight could save it.

32 ThreeBees { 06.17.10 at 2:51 pm }

Everyone seemed to love that chocolate cake… I agree it sounded nice but did anyone else think it looked… boring? I think they could have done better. I was waiting for them to say it was disappointing (and clearly the contestants were too) and then one says it looks great and the others all agree.

33 sourkraut { 06.17.10 at 2:56 pm }

3Bs
It was cunningly turned upside down to hide the fact it had sagged like Grandmas knees, that obviously gave it the improved taste.
There ya go viewers, dont tell me I don’t give you tips on how to cook gooder

34 Reality bites { 06.17.10 at 3:01 pm }

You can lose your licence for gross professional misconduct or a major criminal offence.

35 Mama'sMilk { 06.17.10 at 3:12 pm }

… and Ponytail is way off saying that things will taste great in the air. In fact, the low air pressure in planes affects how things taste compared with at ground level (ever loved a particular wine on the plane only to find its very bland when you buy it and drink it later on the ground?)

Consequently airlines spend a lot of time adjusting their recipes to taste good at altitude. Have a good friend who is a food technologist whose company used to have the Qantas contract. Very interesting work. These guys do the hard work, Ponytail is on the payroll merely for his name…

And Claire, that quail WAS gross professional misconduct.

36 Airwalk { 06.17.10 at 3:16 pm }

Joy-yeah a better idea than having the 4(although enjoyed a Geo free ep) sitting on the tarmac eating the food…business class passengers ordering it-see how many order each as written on the menu and then judged from what they are served…they would have to be regular business class travellers though. The only thing I would have eaten would have been Matts pudding…Marions prawns looked like a cat had thrown them up, the quail looked like it had been in the Siberian saltmines for 10 years(anaemic) and didn’t like the look of any of the reds dishes to be honest(btw I love quail…especially from the Supper Inn in Melbourne or I cook it meself)
And Ponytail was full of it as usual

37 Paul { 06.17.10 at 3:21 pm }

Sour,
Ratings have just come in.

MC rated just under 1.8 million last night which is hugely respectable considering it was up against State of Origin (the first 30 minutes or so too when it was semi competitive). SOO rated 2.1 million.

As expected SOO won well in NSW and Qld but lost handsomly in the other states.

38 Reality Raver { 06.17.10 at 3:27 pm }

Apologies for not responding to comments, but you seem to doing fine amongst yourselves. I am busy with other reality TV related stuff. Sorry.

39 lol_lol { 06.17.10 at 4:23 pm }

Word on the grapevine is that Claire has nothing to go back to at CU as she slept with a married man at the firm and left in disgrace.

40 Paul { 06.17.10 at 4:36 pm }

Even if true I fingd that a bit hypocritical and sexist – even for a law firm.
Why is she in disgrace and not the person who is married ?
And why does the married man stay ?

I think most work places have moved on from this sort of stuff and would find this very unlikely (her leaving in disgrace that is).

41 MelbaToast { 06.17.10 at 4:48 pm }

I am with Paul on this one! I assume Claire was a single women. Why does she have to be the moral compass for the married guy – surely he’s old enough to know better.

Yes, yes, she started something with a guy who is apparently married with 3 kids…but HE is the married one with the family. He could’ve said no…

42 Airwalk { 06.17.10 at 4:56 pm }

For fear I may be accused of being a nazi by Sooty…even though I support Jon…:P(not that I would ever joke or trivialise what occured during WW2…)
I don’t have any interest in salicious personal gossip on the contestants…but think Claire’s ‘I have nothing to go back to was a bit tedious'(do hope they have a counsellor in the house though with Matts father issues in addition to Claires…hide the sharp instruments) and not entirely truthful(if RRs research stands up in court) and the above comments that most workplaces have moved on from this sort of stuff in my opinion is as naive as saying theres no homophobia or racism in Australian sport

43 sourkraut { 06.17.10 at 11:58 pm }

Paul
QED

44 Paul { 06.18.10 at 12:11 pm }

Of course not saying that all workplaces have moved on.

However its safe to say that at most of the multi nationals and the larger white collar workplaces this sort of ‘romance’ would barely lift an eyebrow.