MasterChef Australia – The Final Week Viewing Guide

Do you want to know the format for the final week of MasterChef Australia?

Well here it is:

Tuesday – Matt Moran will be the guest judge on the invention test. Poh because she won tonight gets to pick the cuisine.

Wednesday – After a pressure test, the two bottom contestants face off in a taste test. Bill Grainger is the guest judge.

Thursday – In a 90 minute special, the remaining three contestants are tasked with cooking their ultimate three course menu. The guest judge is Donna Hay.

Friday – Masterclass, plus Sarah Wilson will be looking back over the past 3 months.

Sunday – The top 20 reunite to recap the highs and lows of the series – and to see who will be crowned Australia’s first MasterChef.

I am very unhappy about the taste test elimination on Wednesday night, it should all be about the cooking this week.

1 Laura { 07.14.09 at 1:27 am }

Totally agree about the taste test.
I was really happy to see Poh win tonight, even though I have been far from her biggest fan throughout the series. Her pies were very smart and creative. Plus she’s not Chris, who I am detesting! Glad to see Lucas go over Julie also.
I am just really hoping that Justine does not go home tomorrow due to her weakness being Asian cuisine. After doing so well throughout the show it will be really sad to see her leave too soon.
Ideally the order will be
– Lucas (tick)
– Chris
– Julia
– Poh
– Julie
– Justine wins!
Although I have a terrible premonition that Julie will be going tomorrow night :( If I am honest, I think that she is clearly the weakest competitor left (despite how much I love her) – I would eat at her restaurant over most of the others but the other contestants handle the pressure and time constraints a lot better which is a serious advantage at this stage – perhaps even more important that cooking skills (as they are all so talented).

2 Nonnymouse { 07.14.09 at 1:32 am }

There is no taste test.

3 Foodie Wannabe { 07.14.09 at 2:34 am }

Chris – controlled, disciplined, ambitious, innovative, adventurous, wide palate, inconsistent execution.
Julia – focused, precise, versatile, not battle hardened, good palate, competent skills
Poh – emotive, not as uni-dimensional as suggested, artistic presentations, prone to inconsistency and nerves, uncertain culinary career
Julie – homely palate, undisciplined in the kitchen, less nervy now, reasonably consistent but fairly narrow range
Justine – careful, organised, consistent, good leadership skills, uni-dimensional cuisine, conservative repertoire

I would eat at Justine’s restaurant because it was predictable, Julie’s because it was familiar, Julia’s because it was well executed, Poh’s because it was pretty and Chris’ if I wanted something interesting

4 Wurstsemmel { 07.14.09 at 7:29 am }

If the taste test is true, what a ridiculous way for anyone to leave at this stage

5 onadrought { 07.14.09 at 10:01 am }

Agree that taste test is not fair, bit of luck involved. It should all be down to the cooking.
I worry a bit about Donna Hay being the judge, she is hardly a gourmande.
Julie next to go. Thinking now Julia has a good chance, though gut feeling is that it will be Chris.

6 Jaynie { 07.14.09 at 11:45 am }

My only hope for the taste test is that it will mean the end of Poh or Chris. In which case, it’s perfectly all right to have one.
But if I am being honest, I have to agree that a taste test in the final week is ridiculous. It should definitely be all about the cooking.

7 PinkPatentMaryJanes { 07.14.09 at 12:40 pm }

Grrrrr, the taste tests are never that – it’s a ‘familiarity with that cuisine’ or ‘sift-through-and-identify-that-ingredient’ test. Hopefully they’ll ditch ’em in the next series.
A good palate is essential, but no one flavour should even dominate so much that it’s readily identifiable in a dish.

8 TDK { 07.14.09 at 1:06 pm }

RR, create a petition to boycott the taste test and send it to 10.

9 dc { 07.14.09 at 1:20 pm }

The taste-tests are fantastic! They show how ready and talented you are – if you can’t identify the ingredients, how can you get new ideas?

If cooking isn’t about tasting, what the hell *is* it about?

10 TDK { 07.14.09 at 1:35 pm }

RR – or at least do a pole vote.

11 TDK { 07.14.09 at 1:46 pm }

dc – I’m not sure if “identifying the ingredients” and “get new ideas” has any correlations to be honest.
I may not be able to identify truffles because I’ve never tasted it before, because it’s so expensive, but how will that stop me from thinking may be it’s worth a try on a certain dish?

I don’t think we’re saying that cooking is not about tasting, because clearly it is. Clearly, there are ingredients that the contestants can identify, but we think that to cut it so fine as the exact ingredients from over twenty and usually it’s down to just the last few ingredients; to send someone home on thin difference as getting an ingredient wrong isn’t justified.

Cooking isn’t just about “tasting” either.
There’s preparation, time management, food knowledge, hand/eye coordination, creativity, so on and so forth… feel free to add more..
The taste test doesn’t show or prove that someone is better than another at any of the above, other than “tasting”.

12 dc { 07.14.09 at 1:55 pm }

Not sure I agree with you TDK.

First, the last taste test proved conclusively that Andre knew nothing about South Asian cuisine.

The previous two were tighter. Tom going out on Thyme (vs Oregano?), and Poh out on Barley (vs Farro?). Great TV, but also a fundamental skill any chef should have.

To chef well, the fundamental skill is tasting and adjusting. Otherwise, all you are doing is “cooking”.

13 TDK { 07.14.09 at 2:09 pm }

dc – well, each to their own i guess; however with Andre vs Christ, i don’t think you need a taste test to know who’s the better cook; and a better cook does not necessarily mean they have to know South Asian cuisine.. Why can’t they specialise in just one area and be good at it?

Poh vs Sam – that was classic situation why the taste test should not have been used.

I feel like I’m repeating myself here, to chef well, it’s not all about “tasting”; therefore the taste test is not a good judge to send someone home.

14 Chefette { 07.14.09 at 2:10 pm }

dc – no one is denying it is a fundamental skill. It’s the weight of the consequences of failing to identify just one measly ingredient in a dish that may favour one contestant over another that sh-ts ppl most i think. It’s lazy, it’s insulting and unfair on so many levels.

15 dc { 07.14.09 at 3:22 pm }

TDK – I hear you.

I think you’re getting caught out in the logic of a taster who can’t cook versus a cook who can’t taste. That’s not the situation here, as they’ve all qualified as good cooks already. Tasting’s a fundamental kitchen skill that sorts the wheat from the chaff.

I think guessing “curry powder” showed up a weakness beyond not knowing much about a cuisine.

Chefette – its entertainment. If “fairness” was a key criteria, Brent wouldn’t have been eliminated for being less popular than Josh et al. Try a taste-test yourself at home, next time someone cooks something unusual for you – its fun! :-)

16 TDK { 07.14.09 at 4:06 pm }

dc – not sure i can follow what you meant on your first paragraph there, i think you’ve confused me more may be

anyhow, my points is; i don’t mind the taste test as tasting is “fundamental” to cooking, but may not use it to the extreme as booting someone off for guessing wrong

may be use it to identify their weaknesses, and may be a slap in the writes, like a punishment or a disadvantage so they can try harder; but to send them home for guessing an ingredient wrong.. is just wrong

17 Injera { 07.14.09 at 6:31 pm }

I find the taste tests annoying as an elimination at this end of the comp. Agree with dc that the ability to “taste” components of a dish and know what goes with what – what complements and what overwhelms/clashes – is vital for a chef… but it seems like lazy drama-chasing in this context.

Sure, it’s a TV show and we should expect drama etc, but there’s enough scope for that with people applying stick blenders to fingers and grabbing hot pans from the oven without having to construct more.

I know, I know, another chorus of “in the proper Masterchef…”, but: in the proper Masterchef, the taste test/ingredients test is used to narrow down contestants from quarter finalists to semi finalists. i.e. palates are assessed well before this end of the comp. Not a bad idea, although it’s still one of my least favourite elements of that show.

18 Injera { 07.14.09 at 6:46 pm }

Oh, and I thought we were promised an execution every night! I got my knitting out and everything. Now I have to wait for tomorrow? Wrong!

19 Nonnymouse { 07.14.09 at 7:19 pm }

There. Is. No. Taste. Test.

20 Injera { 07.14.09 at 7:41 pm }

Awww, but Nonnymouse, that’ll mean we’ve all been blowing hot air for no reason!

Anyway, glad to hear it and thanks for reiterating.