Hotness Is Happening On Masterchef Australia

No I am not talking about the cooking temperature, I am talking about celeb chef and TV hottie Matt Moran appearing as a guest judge on the show.

He will be taking over for a bit of a stint while Gary Mehigan recovers from a knee and leg injury after slipping over on the set. No news whether the injury happened because he slipped over the saliva left after George Calombaris drooling over the hot female contestants. Your guess is as good as mine. Knowing Gary he was probably in a rush to get to the deep fried section of the catering truck.

The Daily Telegraph  article says:

Mehigan will miss some of the late series cooking challenges, and Matt Moran has been drafted to fill in for him.

The article also queries whether the viewing audience will be sick of cooking shows because My Kitchen Rules will have just finished.

My view is that My Kitchen Rules is like an appetizer you would have at your local chinese, and Masterchef Australia is the main you would get at Aria.

Rumour has it that it will premier at the end of April on Channel Ten

1 Injera { 03.18.10 at 11:52 am }

This is probably going to seem unexpected, since I’m such a Moran-fan, but would it have been impossible to replace Gary with a woman?

Anyway, I am looking forward to the return of Masterchef.

2 @cantwait { 03.18.10 at 11:57 am }

Matt Moran??? The MasterCook ratings are set to double!!!
It is interesting to see all these people swapping and changing television stations as rapidly as they do today. I think gone are the days of long term station contracts, and it is now a ‘quick, sign on where you can’ mentality. I thought it was interesting to see Julie, the winner of MasterCook advertising Gladwrap on Channel 9 during My Kitchen Rules the other night. A few years ago this cross channel switching/promotions would have never happened.

3 @cantwait { 03.18.10 at 11:57 am }

Great pic of Matt by the way. I can see a new screen saver coming my way

4 teacoffeetea { 03.18.10 at 12:04 pm }

Hmph. I have never before thought of Moran as a hottie but I guess he’s not bad at all. I was wandering what had happened to Gary. I’m so excited about MC starting and hope it will be just as good as last year!
And Injera, you should know that ladies just don’t belong in the kitchen!!

5 Injera { 03.18.10 at 12:34 pm }

@cantwait Ah, the days of station loyalty are well and truly over. Next we’ll see Daryl Somers on Arena!

@teacoffeetea I think we need to edit so it reads “ladies don’t belong in the paid arena of the professional kitchen where they will be respected for their skillz, not just expected to have them based on gender!”

I wonder if the prods will take AA Gill‘s rules to heart and ban any contenders who “really love feeding people, and want to make a warm, hospitable, elegant space with great food, where friends can come and have a wonderful cosy time”. If so, no more Julies (and, probably Genis. And… I’m struggling to remember the others…).

6 Reality Raver { 03.18.10 at 1:16 pm }

injera – good point about the female, but let’s replace George C with one. I think Christine Mansfield name has been brought up, and now Ellen is on American Idol, they may not be so reticient about putting a gay gal on a judging panel.

@can’twait – I presume Glad can advertise on any channel they want to.

@teacoffeetea – the TV industry sexist????? Noooooooo

7 Injera { 03.18.10 at 1:26 pm }

RR, I think I read about Christine Manfield as a possibility to judge here – it would be a great step. As for Ellen, though, I like the lighthearted jokes, but… if all she’s going to do is echo Randy, then buh-bye.

As for Gladvertising, I do find it jarring to see ol’ Jules during MKR. TV personalities used to be far more “tied” to a network and it might just be faulty remembering, but I think networks were far more protective of their patch and didn’t show ads with rival celebs (particularly during their own, poor-man’s version of a rival’s show!). Maybe in these days of timeshifting, TV stations are the beggars who can’t choose the ads!

8 CG { 03.18.10 at 2:26 pm }

Did Gary slip on George’s saliva or was it another (bodily) fluid dripping as he lusts after the next Im-Poh-ster…sorry RR but you set me up.

Please don’t compare Christine Manfield to Ellen. Christine is qualified in the kitchen. Ellen is not qualified (in music) to judge AI and just giving a “fan’s” view, often influencing audience voting in the wrong direction, and pissing off Simon.

Christine (or Jackie Gowan or Kylie Kwong) would be great on MC and I’m disappointed they didn’t take Gary’s brief absence as an opportunity to trial a woman for a few weeks. By this point in the MC series swapping in a female judge for a few weeks would not put ratings at risk and be a safe opportunity to get some feedback and trial someone for (perhaps) Season 3? That said, I hope they don’t roll out the female judge(s) for the Junior MC series…that would just be insulting.

9 @cantwait { 03.18.10 at 3:14 pm }

Christine is great, but she is a bit of a Froot Loop. I’m not sure they could ‘harness’ her for an entire season.

10 Wurstsemmel { 03.18.10 at 4:38 pm }

@Injera, do we have to see Darryl Sommers anywhere?

Kylie Kwong would be a good choice for a female judge.

11 Culinary Boner { 03.18.10 at 5:20 pm }

“Hotness” eh Raver?

Surely without that Sarah whats-er-name, us straight blokes will be looking at a hotness-free zone for this year’s MCA.

Especially as we are going to cop a whole heap of promos and appearances featuring last year’s winner, Julie. Guess us blokes will just have to make do with the antithesis of “hotness” – homeliness.

Plus, of course, a bevy of female lust objects in the form of a tall fat guy with penchant for cravats (they do cover double chins quite nicely, thank you very much) and a couple of shorter, manic bald blokes. Happy drooling girls.

Hopefully only a couple of the female contestants this year have moustaches.

12 Fiona { 03.18.10 at 5:31 pm }

I don’t think My Kitchen Rules comes anywhere near to Masterchef, I know I have been waiting impatiently for the new Masterchef season and I’m sure it will be a big success again. I don’t mind seeing a bit more of Matt Moran either!

13 Sourkraut { 03.18.10 at 6:55 pm }

CG
Even this announcement wont bring out a single flinty hearted tear.
Thank Zeus he doesn’t have a french accent!

14 Fides { 03.18.10 at 6:56 pm }

I’m looking forward to Matt Moran doing masterclass.

15 Wurstsemmel { 03.18.10 at 8:25 pm }

Ah, Sourkraut, you are a meanie.

Hopefully only a couple of the female contests have moustaches this year….. Excellent, Culinary Boner, that made me laugh so hard

Yep, Manu or no, there’s no doubt MKR fades into comparison alongside MC. I doubt we’ll see any of the MKR judges this time.

Does anyone else think Pete Evans looks like a Thunderbird model?

16 Reality Raver { 03.18.10 at 9:16 pm }

Injera – Probably the TV stations cannot afford to piss off advertisers, or the media sales dept are not clued in to the “politics” of other TV stations stars.

CG – I probably did stick my chin out on that one… I like Jacquie Gowan on MKR, but that would cancel her out from being on Masterchef Aust. I take it you don’t think much of Ellen as a judge on Idol.

@can’twait – a non-contained Christine Mansfield sounds entertaining.

Wurstsemmel – Kylie Kwong would be OK and a safe pair of hands, but not that entertaining.

Culinary Boner – Very amusing I am sure they will put in some female hot tottie.

Fiona – I agree I think MKR only whets the Masterchef appetite.

Fides – Good point about the Masterclass, that had not crossed my mind.

Wurstsemmel – Oh God you are so right about Pete Evans and a thunderbird model.

Sourkraut – Matt does not need an accent

17 Injera { 03.19.10 at 7:05 am }

Wurstsemmel – okay, it would be better if we didn’t see Daryl anywhere… and as for Pete Evans being a Thunderbird puppet – good call! I’ve been trying to figure out what his unusual range of motion reminds me of and you’ve got it. Awesome!

18 sourkraut { 03.19.10 at 1:25 pm }

Raver
accent for wot?
Wurstsemmel
your description of me ALMOST brought a tear (of satisfaction?).
the term for which you are groping is i believe “GRINCH”

19 Laura { 03.19.10 at 2:03 pm }

Jackie Gowan is on Ready Steady Cook as well as MKR so I would think she would be able to be on Masterchef. I’d think that her contract with 7 would last only as long as her short stint on the show. Anyway, I really like her, I think she would be great as a judge on Masterchef.

20 Sourkraut { 03.19.10 at 7:27 pm }

Laura
I agree re jackie gowan. I think she would be a very fair unbiassed judge. (but I’ve been wrong on rare occasions b4)