Masterchef: planes, trams and automobiles. Oh, and cooking.

Pre-credits: We are reminded that today’s challenge will be in Melbourne and we get a snippet of Peter expressing his excitement, due to the fact that he’s a Melbourne boy. I guess if he’s eliminated tonight, it will save an airfare.

The show opens with Carrie weeping in bed. That bodes well. We’re given the highlights of the lowlights from last night, so to speak. Carrie’s doing all the running in the early interview – she talks about how she doesn’t enjoy her job. Awkward! She’s getting the loser edit already – nobody ever gets THIS much time up-front unless they are doomed to go. Peter doesn’t say that he hates the lawyering, just that he wants to pursue his dream. Jimmy acknowledges the skills that his family have passed on, and doesn’t mention his job at all. Smart man.

Our bottom three enter the Masterchef Kitchen in their black aprons. We already know that the cook-off is in Melbourne, so couldn’t we have been spared this? Matt is giving hints as to who the chef of the day is. Fiona lights up at the mention of the Kitchen Garden Foundation and they all turn around to greet this food icon. Matt tells them that she’s not coming to the kitchen: “what do you mean? We’re just cooking from a recipe? Let down!” interviews Peter. Oh, Peter.

George gives them their clue, because this is now The Amazing Race. I wish. I love Phil. Maybe next year, instead of bringing in top chefs, they could bring in reality show hosts. It would be more in keeping with the priority of this production. Imagine, the Donald, Jeff Probst, Mo’nique, Bret Michaels (get well, Bret!)… all judging our contestants on the true skills of being a reality show contestant. Ah, wishful thinking. Back to the action, there’s lots of running – running through the terminal entrance! running through security! running from the gate! – and they arrive at Tulla and open their clues. They each have a list of ingredients, $100 and a tram ticket. They’re dropped off at the Vic market and Jimmy immediately latches on to Peter, who just as quickly gives him the slip.  Sneaky!  He establishes his local boy bona fides as he gives a wave to a couple of stall holders.

Carrie goes to Alec Watson and tries to buy some duck. She gets pork and presumably manages to find someone else to get her the duck, as the next time we see her she’s in the fruit and veg. Jimmy is making sure his produce is perfect but he realises this is costing time. Carrie is struggling to find English spinach but eventually gets some and then hits the tram. Jimmy feels as though he’s running in circles and it appears that he is. Peter – the sponsor’s dream – is running through the “beautiful atrium” and lamenting the fact that he hasn’t got time to take it all in. Geez, dude, pop in and have afternoon tea there some time.

Stephanie is waiting at the Langham with Matt and the Gs to greet Peter as he arrives, but she doesn’t offer a quaint local greeting like they do in The Amazing Race. She does talk about the Kitchen Garden Foundation, which is a wonderful project.

The cooking (yep, about time!)

Grilled duck breast, confit duck neck sausage, crispy chips, buttered spinach with sour cherry sauce.

Stephanie talks Peter through the elements of the dish, stressing that there shouldn’t be any sand in the spinach. I’m guessing there will be in one of the dishes. She is going to get sick of going through this three times.

It seems to be just after ten when Peter starts, and he’s told that he needs to be done when the clock strikes twelve. I hope he’s not banking on hearing the chimes, since the station clock doesn’t make a sound. If the editing is to be trusted, Carrie has made it to the Flinders St Station underpass but it seems that Jimmy is still at the market.

Carrie arrives at the pit stop and gives Stephanie a wave before getting stuck into her prep. Jimmy looks defeated as he arrives – at 10.25 – to see the other two hard at work. (Did anybody else want to see Jimmy panic, catch a taxi, and then have to sit out a penalty for not reading the clue properly?) Peter is worried about the sauce, and Stephanie tells him he should spend at least 20 minutes on it. Her advice to Carrie is not to finesse the duck too much, as she must get the bones into the pan pronto. Gary, if you need Jimmy to calm down, stop reminding him – and getting him to acknowledge – that he was the last in.

With an hour to go, Jimmy feels as though he’s catching up to the other two. He hopes that he’s not being watched as he fills the piping bag, since he’s doing it counter to the Gs instructions. He seems to be getting away with it, which is unusual. Carrie is busy picking her pistachios out of the mixer bowl, as she’s just realised they need to be chopped. She’s getting stressed. Please let that be the last time I have to type that.

God, they’re using Real Stock.

Gary and Stephanie do another walk around, this time with encouraging words for the contestants. Jimmy is told he’s catching up, Stephanie’s vegie concoction is praised, and Peter gets the “keep doing what you’re doing”. Except for the bit where he misread “teaspoons” for “tablespoons” and over thickened his sauce. Retribution is swift and final – he’s engulfed by flames.

Last few minutes and Carrie’s hoping to finish. Once again, she sets her sights high. She hasn’t got time to properly confit her sausage, so she ends up frying it off. George thinks that bellowing “you’re in Melbourne!” will lift the contestants to the level required by their exalted surroundings, when all it does is get Peter setting his station on fire. Real fire, not an ad-announcing fireball.

Time’s up! They all hug, relieved. Then Carrie realises she forgot the spinach. She’s devastated.

Tasting

• Peter – “how’s your sauce?” He responds that he may have thickened it up a bit too much. The judges taste and George thinks the sauce is a let-down. Stephanie likes the sausage, and Gary and Matt think the duck is good.
  • Carrie – “do you think you have all the right elements on this plate?” asks Stephanie. She acknowledges the lack of spinach. Really, these questioning techniques are so passive aggressive. At least they won’t be able to complain that it’s gritty. The sauce is thin and insipid, says Matt. Stephanie is worried about the sausage texture, but Gary likes the flavour. George says “it’s concerning that the spinach is not on the plate, but is it THAT concerning?” Stephanie gives him a gentle smackdown: “well, it’s part of the dish!”. Der.
  • Jimmy – clearly hasn’t made any egregious errors that the Gs have picked up during prep, so they can’t ask any Dorothy Dixes about that. Sausage gets the thumbs up from all. The sauce is the “sauce of the round”, but the spinach is… gritty! Oh, noes! Matt asks if the duck is better than Carrie’s. Well, the SAUCE is better than Carrie’s, and the SAUSAGE is better than Carrie’s, so you really think you can create tension like that?

Stephanie excuses herself from the judging, for some reason. Probably because she wants no part of the farce that is the inquisition. Sensible woman.

Judging

Matt tells them that you can’t judge a book by its cover. I’m not quite sure why he trots this old chestnut out now. I have a feeling he’s trying to lull us into thinking that, contrary to all the evidence we’ve seen, Carrie is not going home. Nice try, Matt.

• Jimmy – duck breast overcooked, sauce was glossy and the sausage was what they were looking for.
  • Carrie – sausage was grainy, sauce was thin, spinach was missing. The duck breast was beautifully tender.
  • Peter – spectacular presentataion, but claggy sauce.

Matt asks Peter how he’ll feel if he leaves today. I won’t transcribe Peter’s speech – I know you could all sing along. And I’m checking out of the Q&A on their food passion, too, because it’s annoying and pointless. Fortunately, Carrie kind of does just that, telling them that they’ve already made their decision. Unfortunately Gary won’t let her stop there. Tears. Guess what? Jimmy doesn’t want to leave either.

Peter’s safe. Dragging, dragging, ad-break, recap, dragging out… Carrie’s out. She’s going to door-knock and find work in a kitchen. Possibly because she’s burnt her bridges at the HR company.

I love Jimmy. I don’t think the other victorious elimination contestants have been asked for parting words, have they? His are sweet and kind. There are hugs all ’round, and Carrie takes her blue-bandaided fingers out and the remaining two are swarmed by the other contestants, as they are spending the week in Melbourne!

So, no surprises in the verdict there. It seemed pretty obvious right from the start, with all the Carrie-words up front.

Tomorrow night: Frank Camorra!

1 Zibb { 05.24.10 at 10:57 pm }

I hope Marion does well tomorrow and it’s not just editing. I wonder if she will be the first female to win a celebrity chef challange (Sorry Joanne)

2 Pollywaffle { 05.24.10 at 11:01 pm }

If you can’t easily lay your hands on English Spinach in Victoria market, the Universe is trying to tell you something. AND since you didn’t listen the first two times, it hid in a bowl when you were plating up just so you got the point.

Hit it, Sir Cliff Richard…
“Carrie doesn’t live here anymore, Carrie used to room on the second floor,
Sorry that she left no forwarding address,That was known to me.
Carrie doesn’t live here anymore, You could always ask at the corner store,
Carrie had a date with her own kind of fate, It’s plain to see.”

3 Injera { 05.24.10 at 11:09 pm }

I thought the same about the spinach at the market! And thanks, Pollywaffle, now I have that song in my head… at least it’s reminding me that I need to organise my Eurovision viewing.

4 Reality Raver { 05.24.10 at 11:05 pm }

maybe they could have merged The Amazing Race with Survivor and made them kill and pluck the duck.

5 Reality Raver { 05.24.10 at 11:07 pm }

pollywaffle – LMAO, but just a tad disturbed that Cliff Richard is in your repetoire

6 librarygirl { 05.24.10 at 11:08 pm }

Poor Carrie. I wanted her to go, but I feel sorry for her regardless.Go Marion!

7 Anon { 05.24.10 at 11:08 pm }

Given one contestant a home advantage was completely and utterly unfair. Yes, Carrie was destined to go tonight so you could argue that it didn’t affect the outcome but next time the MC produers want to pull that stunt they should choose a neutral terrain where no one constestant has an advantage perceived or otherwise.

8 KC { 05.24.10 at 11:08 pm }

Omg…I REALLY hope Marion wins 😀 WOOH GO MARION!!!

Hehe, favourite line of all the episodes so far. “It’s concerning that the spinach is not on the plate, but is it THAT concerning?”
“Well, it’s part of the dish.” MAJOR OWNAGE TO GEORGE 😀 BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 😀

9 rusty { 05.24.10 at 11:22 pm }

If Carrie had had half a brain (or balls) she would have grabbed some spinach and dropped it on the plate anyway, regardless of time, instead of setting off another wave of waterworks about it. And wasting her time on group hugs.

Really, she deserved to go. That last episode simply reinforced that she spends far too much time working up her emotional life, and not enough on getting on with it.

This episode put me off Peter, though, not sure why ….

10 sourkraut { 05.24.10 at 11:23 pm }

I luv food blah blah,hate my job blah blah
Not a normal test blah blah same old same old. So
a free trip to bleak city WOW the privelige! get to see the other cheats (the storm)
Quick run out of the bldg. Quick run from the boarding pass check to the plane (presumably so the plane will take off faster… good luck!). WTF
Carrie’s bleary eyed recap gave the game away. Give it up 10 ya dodos!
Unfair to unskilled chefs from outta town lucky Pete!
Not carrots celery and spinach AGAIN no, no, no its Rosella savory rice with apologies to Delvene delaney (va va voom, sorry Strop)
fresh seasonal blah blah blah
F&$K a duck , more F@% kin duck AGAIN! WTF?
Sanity saved by the appearance of the gravox GIRL ON THE ADS. MORE ENTERTAINING THAN THE SHOW JUST DROOL.
Gary to someone ” what are u worried about”? Reply wasting precious time answering your inane Questions.
Gary to Jimmy ” you cooked me the bestest ever curry” When? You panned his curry earlier!
Duck neck snags. what next? elephant balls on toast
Mercy, the judging at last.
Matt’s pompous look at Peter’s plate like it had e-coli on it.
GEo his sauce does not look nice (coming from an unshaven sophisticate, that’s rich, pots and kettles)
Matt pompous sneer at Carries plate … Giardia?
Matt smiles at Jimmy’s plate… chocolate covered larks vomit.
So blah blah blah and the “food goddess” wimps the judging… some goddess!
SIDE NOTES when Carrie gets the bone it should provide some nice embarassing emotional moments probably squeeze a tear from the filthy krauts flinty heart. (AND SO IT WOZ)
More of Matts blah blah I think he’s infatuated with the exuberance of his own pomposity!
Peter why cooking…. A. It puts a smile on my face. ME: so does sex. Why not run a brothel? its easier. (I’m told)
Final decision…. ads, fireballs, atom bombs, Its Carrie! Surprise, and what a nice touch the blue hanky was.
Good night!

11 Muru { 05.24.10 at 11:24 pm }

I like how none of the contestants seems to have cared that Carrie left. Maybe all of their emotions have been swept up by the fact that they’re in Melbourne (I honestly don’t think Melbourne’s that exciting, but just a guess).

I don’t really like these Amazing Race-esque type shows. Having a 15 minute advantage by knowing Melbourne and the QVM well enough is arguably far more important than one’s cooking ability.

12 Airwalk { 05.24.10 at 11:31 pm }

sourkraut 10/10 for the chocolate covered larks vomit comment-where did you pull that one from? love it anyway, made me laugh 😮 I like Stephane Alexander and she couldn’t get out of ther fast enough could she? Don’t blame her. Good luck to Carrie, no surprise there but she seems like a nice enough person. But Marion is my favourite and appears absolutely gorgeous so hope she goes far. And regards next time having to kill the duck-last year they made them kill a fish so lets hope they step it up-maybe a cow slaughter

13 Airwalk { 05.24.10 at 11:57 pm }

Google is a wonderful thing: googled larks vomit and found Monty Python: ‘Oh, we use only the finest juicy chunks of fresh Cornish Ram’s bladder, emptied, steamed, flavoured with sesame seeds, whipped into a fondue, and garnished with lark’s vomit.’ Sounds like something for the next pressure test, think Matt would love it

14 Airwalk { 05.25.10 at 12:17 am }

Anyone else watch GNW? WTF is G on about ‘bench fat’? I know all to well about ‘chefs arse’ but never heard of bench fat…sorry about the postings-got to flu so stuck in bed/couch instead of going out(btw Marions foodblog: http://www.hedonistichostess.com.au/)

15 bella vita { 05.25.10 at 12:24 am }

loved tonights episode, was so the time for Carrie to go!

SPOILER ALERT BELOW,
DO NOT READ IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW

C W-B gets elimated shortly, so much for being one of the favs

16 Fides { 05.25.10 at 1:00 am }

I only wish the judges had cheered Carrie up by telling her that even if her spinach had made the plate, she would have still gotten canned. Because what with her saying she would never forgive herself for not putting it on the plate, I do hope she doesn’t have ongoing issues of self loathing. I did feel bad for her about leaving out the spinach though – I’d feel so sick if that happened to me.

I don’t want Masterchef to be about career counselling or therapy for these people seeking new direction in life. I just want it to be about food.

Muru – I actually dreamt

17 Fides { 05.25.10 at 1:26 am }

Sorry, dunno what happened to my last post. I meant that I dreamt that in a challenge, they had to kill a cat to cook as their key ingredient. It was actually quite disturbing, and I’m not a cat person!

18 CG { 05.25.10 at 4:49 am }

Thank Christ that is over. Carrie Downer is gone!

I thought for half-a-second Georgie was gonna offer her a job…like he did with freako Aaron last year? But alas, he didn’t and according to the final recap it appears Carrie has not gone and got a job in a kitchen and she is back to work in the world of HR consulting. So much for her passion and resolve to become a cook?!!

Unfair advantage to Peter, indeed! They never give the Sydneysiders an advantage like that unless one is from Chatswood and shops at the Coles @ Chatswood Chase but even then I don’t see that as an advantage?

Fides: I was actually wondering whether it would be better for the judges to let Carrie think the spinnach did her in..or tell her the truth that she lost irregardless of the spinnach. If she thinks it was just the spinnach that did her in I fear she should be on suicide watch. But then if she was told most of her components were crap…how would that help? Poor girl. Maybe she is more pulled together “IRL” but how embarassing to watch the series back: not only did she look unstable but she (like a number of others) also trashed her career.

Onward and upward…I reckon Marion might beat the celeb chef tomorrow….and we are being treated to some reverse-psychology editing?

19 Zibb { 05.25.10 at 8:15 am }

@bella vita
that lawyer artical said that one of three had been eliminated, but surely the series had finnished filming by then, so two of them would have been? Not sure on the timeings, but I don’t really trust that artical

20 Colls Bolls { 05.25.10 at 10:33 am }

What was with the timing? When they got off the plane in Melbourne and an arivals screen was showed, it looked like it was about 11.00am and yet Peter turns up at the Langham at 10.10am?

When I saw Peter drop something as he got out of the car at the market I was really worried it was going to be his tram ticket or that something would come back to bite him, but thankfully no.

That duck neck sausage must have a fat content of about 100%. Being filled with pork mince & fat and confited(?) in fat….better taste fabulous to be worth all that fat.

21 Wurstsemmel { 05.25.10 at 10:45 am }

Planes, trains and automobiles?

Let’s hope George and Gary didn’t have to shack up together.
THOSE AREN’T PILLOWS!

Agree it was very unfair that Peter had an advantage but the end result was what most of us were hoping to see…bye bye Carrie.

And for whoever who brought up the Cliff Richard Carrie song? Pollywaffle, I think? Thanks, funny but now that’s etched into my brain!

22 Colls Bolls { 05.25.10 at 10:52 am }

And another thing, what’s with the ‘I’ll pursue this dream, knock on doors and work in a real kitchen’ thing only to read at the end that Carrie’s starting up her own catering business. Nobody wants to do the hard yards these days……(now back in my day….cough cough) 😉

23 Fides { 05.25.10 at 11:02 am }

Colls Bolls, the producers of MC somehow magically control time across the whole universe. If the shot of the arrivals screen is to be believed, it was taken at 10.32 am… And didn’t they do some of the commentaries (talking about the Melbourne reveal) with the three in black on the normal set, ie with the usual background? So much for them racing out the door to catch the plane …

24 Paul { 05.25.10 at 11:13 am }

Whatever city it was held in was going to be unfair to someone unless it was held in Alice Springs !!!!!.

The Melbourne trip would have been planned months in advance. You don’t just organise these things a couple of days before. There are a thousand things to consider logistically.

Unfortunately a Victorian ended up in the final three.

What was the alternative ?
That anyone who knows Melbourne well to have immunity from that weeks pressure challenge………..

Can we just use some common sense please people.

25 akris { 05.25.10 at 11:28 am }

is it just me or is there a lot of ‘beautifuls’ and ‘gorgeous’ used in this forum? Or is it just because whenever i’m reading it i hear George in my head.. :S

Glad Carrie is gone.. Agree that it was unfair advantage to Peter, and they should just focus on the cooking rather than the running around..

26 Injera { 05.25.10 at 11:47 am }

Zibb: Fingers crossed for Marion! From the previews, the food looks amazing.

Rusty: I’d LOVE to see a contestant do just what you suggested. Particularly in this Amazing Race episode. What would they have done?

Sourkraut: Awesome Storm reference! It took me a while, though (you know, a lot of us southerners just don’t care about the other game). And now, along with the song “Carrie”, I have the Rosella Savoury Rice ad in my head.

Muru: I guess we were missing that “waiting in the house” tension that usually goes with an elimination. And yes, cooking needs to be foregrounded!

Airwalk: I’d forgotten about the fish. I hope they don’t get all “F-Word” on us with mammals… Thanks for the link to Marion’s blog. I’m also on bed-rest so need stuff to look at! Hope you recover from the flu soon.

Bella Vita: Agreed, it was the right result.

Fides: Good point – although it might have been a consolation to think that it was the forgotten spinach, not the other issues with the sausage and sauce. I think I’d be in the denial camp, telling people for years afterwards at dinner parties, after having a breakdown when they served me spinach, that I would’ve been Australia’s second Masterchef if not for the spinach! Disturbing dream, BTW.

CG: I’m with you – I thought George was going to offer her a job.

Colls Bolls: I looked out for the timings on the departures board but didn’t catch any – well done. The Amazing Race styling certainly had me thinking that something TAR (lost passport, anyone?) was going to happen. It did take the focus away from… cooking. Duck neck sausage is a sometimes food, for sure, but a DELICIOUS sometimes food!

Wurstsemmel: Hilarious. And you’re right, wrong challenge, but right result.

Fides: Perhaps they were inspired by Lost and developed a sideways timeline (I haven’t seen the last episode of Lost, yet, so that contains no spoilers).

Paul: I get what you’re saying re: timing and the impossibility of planning ahead, not knowing who will be in the elimination group. It is, though, a competition supposedly aimed at uncovering the next Masterchef, so the hunting, gathering and navigating portions of the challenge are irrelevant to that. The challenge could easily have been held in Melbourne, without advantaging a local, is what I mean.

Akris: Now I’ll have my eyes peeled for those adjectives! And I don’t want George in my head…

27 MelbaToast { 05.25.10 at 1:19 pm }

Has anyone noticed (of course you all have) that these food-obsessed people with “food dreams” all leave MC2 to go back to the same job they had before? Way to change your life people! Phillip is the only one that is “sort of” cooking food – but still doing his day job and flipping pizzas by night.

What does “Carrie is working to finance her food dream” even mean? Probably that she’s back working in HR and weeping in the loos during her lunch break as she wishes she could get a job in a kitchen somewhere. Surely it’s not THAT hard to get a job in a kitchen…do people really need to win Masterchef to achieve this?

28 Paul { 05.25.10 at 1:29 pm }

Melba Toast,
You’d suspect they would leave with good intentions but when they step into the real world and realise how appallingly bad the pay is for an apprentice chef, then the comforts of their old job might be just a bit more appealing.

If Carrie in in HR then her pay might be up to 4 times what she would earn as a start up chef.

29 wallah { 05.25.10 at 1:38 pm }

Wow, she really was crying in bed? I thought maybe she just had a condition. I had nothing against Ms. Kenneally, but for someone who liked to make soufffles and brulees, she never seemed to get them right.

30 MelbaToast { 05.25.10 at 1:43 pm }

Fair point Paul – which I guess is why Phillip is working two jobs to make it happen.

31 Rosie { 05.25.10 at 2:08 pm }

One can only hope that Carrie’s catering business got a lot of work before the series aired, because I can’t see too many people wanting her to cook for them once they’ve seen what she can, or more to the point can’t, do.

Sorry about the soufflé folks. Spinach? Sorry, spinach is off. Etc, etc…

32 Kaylen { 05.25.10 at 3:03 pm }

Finally! 😛

I find it amusing that when the judges said Carrie’s duck was cooked perfectly, my first response – to the T.V. – was “of course, she ran out of time to cook it!” 😉

I also responded when, after Peter was confirmed “safe”, and Matt said something about there was the two of them left, my response was “No, silly, there’s 3! There’s one under the table! Of course there’s two left! We can count, unlike you. -.-”

It was also mentioned in a news article (can’t remember which, but I’ll find it and link later) that Carrie got an apprenticeship under a chef for a week from ch10. I’ll go looking for the link now. :)

But other than that, the whole episode was very much “eh” and rather … boring.

The melodrama is becoming annoying. As are the sob-stories. 😛

33 sourkraut { 05.25.10 at 3:12 pm }

Bella vita
who is CWB? I didnt know Chris B’s midle name was winner/wally/wonderful/ wanka/wow take your pick and I did not know they had asked him back already and then boned him immediately HA!
NO SPINACH what would popeye do? pour on more “Olive Oyl”
Yes the heart squeezed out a single tear (dont have too many in (real) stock) for Carrie. She was relatively harmless and I’m not quite sure why she drew the over the top hatred. It could not have been because she cant cook (granted) cause most of the other bozos cant either, and the pathos was wonderful.
Anyhoo I’m glad Jimmy made it through so he can again cook the best curry in the world for Gary (with just a teeny weeny bit too much CHILLI powder to liven up the fireball). But dont do gluggy rice again. YOU”VE BEEN WARNED!

34 Kaylen { 05.25.10 at 3:14 pm }

Got it – http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/television/is-something-slightly-off-at-masterchef/story-e6frfmyi-1225870871843

Quote:

“To help her on the path to her dream job, Johnston has landed a one-week work experience at Sydney’s posh Quay restaurant under the guidance of award-winning head chef Peter Gilmore.

“I’ve always admired (Gilmore) and I asked whether there was an opportunity to get some experience and Channel 10 facilitated that,” she said.”

And re: Carrie’s catering company. Seems she’s already done some jobs! …two of them! lols. 😛

“I’ve already catered for a housewarming party and am catering the food for a wine tasting event coming up. I still want to be a chef, but I’m really enjoying the catering as well…when I cook, it just feels so right.”

35 CG { 05.25.10 at 4:01 pm }

Wow! Just read thru Marion’s blog and old tweets. She is a real foodie and has experimented with all kinds of cooking. Very impressive and very passionate about her food.

Wonder why she stopped updating her blog and Tweeting in October 2009 – were MC2 contestants picked by that time?

I picked Aaron for the win based largely on my personal conspiracy theory that the winner this season has to be a male. But based on this new insight into Marion’s background, she has got to be the one to beat? I’m now thinking a Marion-Jono finale?

And I also didn’t realise that Marion used to be a reporter for the ABC. What more could Ch10 ask for: foodie, cook, and televsion experience…and she has an MA in Gastronomy. It could be a real coup for Ch10, having young Marion go up against the Im-Poh-ster who ironically defected to the ABC.

Ughh, hope I haven’t jinxed her!

36 Wurstsemmel { 05.25.10 at 4:08 pm }

I’m with Injera. They could have constructed a different challenge that wouldn’t make it so unfair. That said though, Jimmy was miles behind and caught up.

Paul, no disrepect but you’re kind of becoming the Masterchef police! :) Are you sure you aren’t George checking into see what we can plate up for him verbally…..?

Just kidding, of course. That WOULD be a conspiracy theory.

37 Paul { 05.25.10 at 4:13 pm }

Injera,
Fair comments.

Wurstsemmel,
Very funny. I actually LOL’d.

38 Airwalk { 05.25.10 at 4:30 pm }

Yep CG think Oct/Nov was when the MC participants or food dreamers stopped communicating via social media-homo Aam included http://twitter.com/adamliaw And I wish MC police would stop telling us all off for comments on here can’t be George, sounds like an embittered underpaid hospitality worker to me and sense is not common

39 Injera { 05.25.10 at 4:41 pm }

Melba Toast: (love the name!) I must admit that when I hear people saying “oh, but I love food, cooking etc so I want to make it my life” I have a bit of a sigh. Perhaps I took the wrong lesson from Tom Sawyer, but I think there’s a difference in perception between doing something for love and doing it for money. I think if I took up one of my hobbies as a job, I might like it less (or maybe I just haven’t found the right job, yet).

And, as Paul says, there’s the money aspect… can’t be easy.

Rosie: I guess with catering you can set the menu, you have time to think about it and prepare, and when you’re starting out you can limit what you offer. Like, no spinach!

Kaylen – would love to see that link.

Sourkraut: The nutritional value of spinach has, apparently, been over-valued for years – lots of other veg have as much or more iron. Still, I loves me some spinach! And the grit is added texture.

CG: I’m guessing the blog hiatus coincides with the filming. It’s interesting to see the (real, not provoked in an elim inquisition) passion for food!

Wurstsemmel: Jimmy did catch up pretty well. Hmm, we didn’t see him on a tram, now, did we? *starts taxi-gate with a throwaway comment*

Paul: Actually, I have to confess to a wide streak of masochism with some of my TV choices! That explains my affection for “Rock of Love”. I love to… not hate exactly, but enjoy the back’n’forth.

40 Fides { 05.25.10 at 4:59 pm }

Which MC2 graduate with aspirations of running a successful catering company would you rather have catering for your event – microwave Kate or it might not make the plate Carrie? I really really can’t decide!

Regarding the omitted spinach, I must say I had no idea that would happen, even though they made such a big deal of her looking for the spinach at the markets. How could I have been so blind? So well done MC for giving me that one little element of surprise that has been sadly lacking this season.

None of the MC1 have been signed on to 10 for a show have they? All I can think is that Justine has the blog on the MC website. So Poh’s on ABC, Julie’s on 9, Josh and Julia have that new show on 7Two… yes CG, I reckon Marion signing up for a show with 10 would be perfect.

41 Paul { 05.25.10 at 5:08 pm }

Not 100% certain but I think Justine is with Ten. They just haven’t found the right outlet for her yet.

Marion is a good media performer but please spare me that its all been rigged for her to win. She could just be the best cook out of all of them. Outlandish thought I know !!!!!!!!

42 Airwalk { 05.25.10 at 5:24 pm }
43 Fides { 05.25.10 at 5:29 pm }

I would love to see Marion win for all the right reasons – that she is a kick a$$ cook! Hope she gets immunity tonight – she’s really the only one who would come close.

Perhaps 10 are waiting for Justine to chill out a little when reading autocues after seeing her Harvey Norman ads.

44 CG { 05.25.10 at 5:37 pm }

Oh dear….Marion’s win is surely jinxed now. The last thing the producers will want is for persons to think the winner was destined after only 5 weeks!

Yes, another conspiracy theory – I admit it, so spare the the spew, Paul.

45 Cooking for life { 05.25.10 at 5:54 pm }

Life as a chef? Not after reading this story:

I would rather cook for family and friends then demanding patrons and critics.

46 Kaylen { 05.25.10 at 6:46 pm }

Injera – posted link next post after my last one, but said something about being moderated. Looks like it’s there now. :)

47 Pollywaffle { 05.25.10 at 7:15 pm }

Its annoying me thatMarion’s real life gig is vaguely titled – “Masters Student” during her head shots.

Why hide the facts. Did they think Masters of Gastronomy student would be too non-amata for the show?

BTW how much cooking training is offered in this course? Is the course run by the Colombaris Institute? Are people taught to hold a knife and fork like a crab?

48 Airwalk { 05.25.10 at 7:20 pm }

I think thats Georges special talent-the crab hold but I am intrigued by the course http://www.gastronomy.adelaide.edu.au/about/