There Is Going To Be An Australian Version Of The Amazing Race

The news there is going to be an Australian version of The Amazing Race has made my freaking decade. Channel Seven have announced they have bought the rights of the popular US reality show.

Channel Seven’s release says:

Disney Media Distribution Asia Pacific has signed an agreement with Channel Seven to produce a local version of the Emmy award winning ‘The Amazing Race’ series for the first time ever in Australia.

As a part of this agreement, Disney and Seven are collaborating to produce a world-class Australian version of one of the most universally popular reality competition shows ever. The series will feature teams comprising Australian couples and will be shot in various locations around the world. Production will commence later this year.

‘The Amazing Race Australia’ will be produced in conjunction with Active TV. For more detailed information about ‘The Amazing Race Australia’ and audition opportunities, please visit: www.yahoo7.com.au/amazingrace.

I am going to apply, and I am afraid I won’t come across as the Marion of the series…..

Anyway due to co-ordination issues I doubt I will last more then two legs. The only down side will be no Phil Keoghan to greet me at the mat. My bet is that Jules guy from Seven or Tom Williams will get the hosting duties.

1 Ellie { 08.05.10 at 5:47 pm }

This is freaking good news!!!

2 Culinary Boner { 08.05.10 at 5:54 pm }

Another role for the under-employed Dicko?
Though, maybe Matt Preston can jump networks to do ‘mat duty’ for this… #boom, tish# Although he’d probably melt in the heat that Phil normally has to endure.

3 Injera { 08.05.10 at 6:03 pm }

Oh, I hope it’s not that Jules guy. Hmm, what’s Jamie Durie up to at the moment – I wouldn’t mind greeting him on a small mat.

4 Pollywaffle { 08.05.10 at 6:14 pm }

Injera – you wouldnt meet Jamie on the mat – he has to be on stilts or a step above all cohosts/contestants – its in his contract – He suffers from PMPSBS – ‘Post Manpower but Small bodied Stress disorder

5 Wurstsemmel { 08.05.10 at 6:21 pm }

Excellent news!

I wouldn’t mind the mat person being James Tobin. Please don’t let it be Grant Denyer.

6 Injera { 08.05.10 at 6:25 pm }

Oh, Pollywaffle, my impressions of JD as a hulking example of manhood are shattered.

Wurstsemmel – Grant Denyer? Dear God, that never occurred to me! Of course, now I’m googling James Tobin…

7 Reality Raver { 08.05.10 at 6:40 pm }

Not James Tobin too young.

8 Pollywaffle { 08.05.10 at 7:19 pm }

It sounds like a role for a Daddo – replace mat for rug

9 EssjAyeats { 08.05.10 at 8:07 pm }

A Daddo please. Will I apply?

10 Injera { 08.05.10 at 8:51 pm }

Okay, Pollywaffle and Essjay – this is a bit OT, but the ad for Telstra TV has somebody cosying up on the couch and I’m stumped if I can pick whether he’s a Daddo or a Reyne. Any ideas? And, if a Daddo OR Reyne, which one?

11 Essjayeats { 08.05.10 at 9:09 pm }

It’s a Daddo, and he’ll do. (think it’s Andrew- the cynical one) Do not want – the “keen as a Labrador one”

12 Injera { 08.05.10 at 9:35 pm }

Ha! Yes, it would be Andrew. I think Cameron is still trying to make it big in the States – and the Lab one would be Lachlan. Although perhaps Cameron would like to give it a try to make up for his stint in The Pirate Master.

13 Reality Raver { 08.05.10 at 9:39 pm }

Andrew it is on the couch. Christ I hope Cameron would be too embarrassed to show his face after the My Kid Is A Star debacle.

14 Injera { 08.05.10 at 9:43 pm }

He was on My Kid is a Star? Wow. Now I’m really concerned – this has made me think about possibilities for hosts and, since we have no Phil Keoghan, it could fall to any unemployed celebrity. Say, Mark Philippoussis? He was in the meeja today, amid speculation that his relationship with Jennifer Esposito is over.

15 Essjayeats { 08.05.10 at 9:51 pm }

Why cant we have Phil?

16 Reality Raver { 08.05.10 at 9:56 pm }

He would be too expensive unfortunately. Whoever they get better be able to do the one eyebrow lift.

17 Wurstsemmel { 08.05.10 at 10:24 pm }

Grant Bowler? He’s a bit Phil-like.

18 hestonrules { 08.06.10 at 12:55 am }

what about matthew newton? at least you could party with him afterwards.

19 MolksTVTalk { 08.06.10 at 10:29 am }

Host will be Denyer. Count on it.

I hope that they don’t “Australian Survivor” it and cut costs such that the racers stay on in Aus. But I’ll bet on it…

20 Culinary Boner { 08.06.10 at 11:28 am }

This is a perfect opportunity to bring Danny Bonaduce back onto Aussie TV.

21 Dakota { 08.06.10 at 1:45 pm }

I love Grant Bowler! Except don’t make him the host of Amazing Race, bring back the Mole and bring Grant back to that and erase our memories of the horrible Tom Williams experience – I’ve got Seasons 1, 2 & 4 on DVD and Grant’s amazing – just his sly mysteriousness and hot voice hehe.

22 Paul { 08.06.10 at 1:56 pm }

Hasn’t everyone missed the biggest news from the blog post.

RR is applying !!!!!!

23 peskie { 08.06.10 at 2:28 pm }

The one and only time I’ve watched an Amazing Race episode, I was totally underwhelmed. Countries raced through without much chance to relish the scenery and the poor natives shouted at by aggrieved Americans who think an increase in volume must cancel out the fact that they are speaking a different language… and yet some very respected posters on this board can’t wait to see the Australian version. Hmmm

Might have to search for a past series and give this one another go.

24 sourkraut { 08.06.10 at 2:30 pm }

dakota
I agree
bring back “the Mole” Best reality tv show ever!

25 reality raver { 08.06.10 at 2:39 pm }

Ye ha Sourkraut your back, you have been missed.

Paul – I think I have moaned about the lack of an Australian The Amazing Race on this blog for about 3 years.

Grant Bowler apparently has just been killed off on True Blood so he could be available.

Danny Bonaduce would probably think the pit stop was a wrestling mat.

26 reality raver { 08.06.10 at 2:40 pm }

Peskie – some episodes/series are better then others, any series with Cherynna and Myrna (a little person) is always great.

The last one was great, the one before that not so much

27 peskie { 08.06.10 at 2:43 pm }

I know a lot of people sneered, but I really enjoyed the Australian version of Survivor. People were much more likeable and honest. Still remember that blonde chick who said she’d like to stab her ally with a fork, he had pissed her off so much. (He ended up winning)

28 Suzanne { 08.06.10 at 4:39 pm }

This is very exciting. It almost inspires me to lose half my body weight so that I wouldn’t slow my partner down too much. :-)
Peskie I think the cringe-worthiness of Americans shouting at non-English speaking people in their own countries and bemoaning the lack of general American-ness is a big part of the appeal.

29 Suzanne { 08.06.10 at 4:52 pm }

Love some of the questions on the application form, and whether it would be better to answer them more outrageously or not:
– What is your opinion of foreigners?
– Are there any locations in the world to which you absolutely will not travel? Yes No If yes, identify where and explain why.
– What’s the weirdest thing about you?
– How do you feel about your family? Are you close?
– If you came across an obstacle you believe is beyond your ability, what do you think you’d do?
– Have you ever hit someone in anger or self-defence? Yes No
If yes, tell us about it.

30 Culinary Boner { 08.06.10 at 5:11 pm }

Looking at those questions, perhaps someone should nudge Pauline Hanson to apply. That is, presuming she’s not changed her mind again about leaving this great nation to go and eat fish and chips in Old Blighty.

31 Injera { 08.06.10 at 5:20 pm }

Suzanne, I’ve been wondering much the same thing, i.e. is there a “correct” answer:

– What is your opinion of foreigners?
I adore meeting people from new and interesting cultures.
vs
Can’t stand ’em. Well, they’re okay if they speak English.

No – it is my dream to travel the world, with no exceptions.
vs
Yes, anywhere with spicy food, unusual food, where they don’t speak English, with a currency other than a standard euro, pound or dollar.

– What’s the weirdest thing about you?
My penchant for travel.
vs
I’m the only person to have had their anger management counsellor quit in tears after the first day.

– How do you feel about your family? Are you close?
I love my family and we all get along famously.
vs
I guess if I’m on telly they’ll find out I’m still alive.

I’d do my best and my partner would give me endless support to overcome it.
vs
Scream. Cry. Swear. Punch whatever is closest, preferably damaging it beyond repair. Even if that something is an ox.

– Have you ever hit someone in anger or self-defence? Yes No
If yes, tell us about it.
vs
Um, do you want me to tell you about all the times, or just the most recent?

32 Culinary Boner { 08.06.10 at 5:50 pm }

Raver, just imagine. You’ve just spend the worst day of your life in steaming hot Bangkok battling mad taxi drivers and kamikaze bikers, driving a tuk tuk with dodgy gears, being misdirected by your team mate. And this follows a morning spend trying to catch carp by hand in a festering cesspool, while your appearance transformed to that of the scungiest wet t-shirt contestant in MTV history. You finally slam the tuk tuk at the designated location – 500metres from the checkpoint. You and teammate jump out and start running. Running like a pair of hillbillies being pursued by a razorback. You hit the mat. Look up and are immediately embraced – a little too tightly, so your tits are being crushed – by Danny Bonnaduce, the ugliest man in reality tv history – well, apart from George C. At a whopping 5foot6 it’s Danny’s head that’s squashing your tits. You try to recoil. But his grip tightens as he moves his hand around your back, brushing your arse, as he shakes hands with your teammate. When he finally moves back, mainly because he’s run out of air at this point, he intones: “You are the eleventh team to arrive. Congratulations you are still in the race after this first round.” You wonder whether it may have been better to come last.

33 librarygirl { 08.06.10 at 6:05 pm }

I love Amazing Race! Still remember the goth couple fondly.

34 Pollywaffle { 08.07.10 at 7:07 pm }

RR – Im certain you will see Phil, thats Phil from MC, at the AR auditions,paired with his Mother – you know a ‘hot greek boy on the look out doused by Mother keen to keep Phil’s attentions for a another decade’

35 bella vita { 08.08.10 at 2:32 am }

I’m applying as well. Has been me and hubby’s fav show for years and we were even contemplating moving to Asia to apply for the Asian version a while back!!!

A longer than normal application form for these types of programs. Production company is based in Melb (and not your usual Freemantle/Shine/Grundy) which makes me think the budget is tiny and the host may be an unknown perhaps.

Good luck to anyone that applies!

36 AnonyMousse { 08.08.10 at 3:22 am }

I wonder what they’ll do for the “massive cash” prize money – the million dollar prize of the American version is pretty ingrained in the heads of watchers of the show by now, so the probably necessary downgrade in the Australian version will likely sound paltry compared to that.

37 Culinary Boner { 08.09.10 at 10:38 am }

Massive cash? Don’t expect any more than $200,000.
If they could they’d also try to pay it in NZ dollars.

38 Suzanne { 08.09.10 at 11:02 am }

Thanks Injera (08.06.10 at 5:20 pm). That was hilarious. :-)

39 SW { 08.10.10 at 5:28 pm }

Hey, reality raver { 08.06.10 at 2:40 pm } – Charla was the little person of the two – Myrna was the annoying average sized person! Love watching the re-runs 7Two has on at the moment! Fills the gap between seasons…..