Masterchef Australia Rip Off?? – Did Masterchef Steal Challenge Ideas

Ok on The Morning Show there was a story about Suzee Dearlove claiming Masterchef ripping off her Seven Deadly Sins idea from her website for Sunday’s challenge. This was a follow on from the story that was on Today Tonight last night.
Personally I don’t think they did, as I said on the show I think it was taken from Top Chef Season 2, which was closer to the challenge then her YouTube clip link here.
I think there have been a lot of challenges taken from Top Chef eg the redoing of childhood classics, the wedding, and the army challenge. Also they have taken the classic scene from The Apprentice where they interview the person in the car after they have been eliminated.
However she probably believes they have. She said she put the video up on her website 10 weeks ago, I would suspect with the filming schedules that they would have already decided on a seven deadly sins challenge.
Fremantle Media says they got the idea from a brainstorming session.
Anyway if you want to check out her website it is www.mastercook.com.au
By the way if anyone thinks that reality TV is dying the first four stories on The Morning Show this morning were reality TV related.

1 Culinary Boner { 07.13.10 at 4:06 pm }

Based on the paranoid theories she’s peddling perhaps she should change her stage name to Suzee Strangelove.

2 Shelsta78 { 07.13.10 at 4:11 pm }

A Lot of them are from Masterchef UK as well – I’ve seen them do the army challenge each season on that show.

I guessed that they bought the format for both MC and TopChef at the same time.

3 Culinary Boner { 07.13.10 at 4:13 pm }

Cripes! Raver, I just opened the link to Ms Dearlove’s website and immediately had to shut it down outta fear my work’s net nanny will have sprung me and Jono’s comrades in this office will be sending a report to the boss.

Can someone send her a polite email suggesting she put some clothes on and quit with the swinger poses?

4 Ayitis { 07.13.10 at 4:15 pm }

Boner, I’m with you. Put some clothes on love

5 Fides { 07.13.10 at 4:17 pm }

Great work as always Raver! Very diplomatic to not call her a loon.

I suggested catering a kids’ party as a MC offsite challenge in June last year at a 4 year old’s party… there were other people there to witness it (but damn, no one videoed it). Maybe I should be claiming MC stole MY ideas?!

6 MolksTVTalk { 07.13.10 at 4:29 pm }

Another great TV spot from you. You better be on their payroll! :)

7 Sue { 07.13.10 at 4:42 pm }

She’s just another nobody trying to get a higher profile.

8 brain dead dave { 07.13.10 at 4:59 pm }

“Fremantle Media says they got the idea from a brainstorming session”
What did they use? A group of gorillas?

9 Gillian { 07.13.10 at 5:00 pm }

Doesn’t this woman know there is no such thing as an original idea? This woman hardly cooked up the Seven Deadly Sins idea but great publicity for her.

@Culinary Boner: I thought you would like that sort of thing :-p

@RR: Great ‘listening face’ RR, love the shoes & your hair looked gorgeous! Congratulations! Wouldn’t it be awesome if they gave you a regular spot!

10 Culinary Boner { 07.13.10 at 5:06 pm }

Gillian, not when it’s done with such desperation. Even I have standards, you know.

11 Pollywaffle { 07.13.10 at 6:56 pm }

I can see that ‘ Suzee Vide ‘ vying with Poh in the MC 09 auditions ( for the mirror that is)….
Producers – ‘ladies, there is blush and plunge tops for all’

12 CG { 07.13.10 at 7:03 pm }

Hee, Nice subtle slap-down of the Gold Coast loonie. And loved how your snuck in your point about MC not being about selecting the best cooks!

Isn’t it amazing how much coverage MC is getting on rival networks Ch7 and Ch9? This morning on Ch9 they had a viewer survey about Jono’s elimination, spoke about him and show endlessly and then wrapped up the morning with segment of Julie Goodwin cooking! Throughout the morning each of the Today Show hosts gave their views and admitted to watching MC. Ch10 must be creaming themselves about all the free publicity given to the show by their competitors.

Unreal. Great job, RR.

13 Melanie Young { 07.13.10 at 7:18 pm }

@Culinary Boner….you just made me laugh out loud.

…um….the 7 deadly sins are not exactly a secret are they? Christians throughout time & space would be horrified!

14 Angel86 { 07.13.10 at 8:49 pm }

As I said on the other thread, this lady must be seriously deluded if she thinks that she holds the rights to the 7 Deadly Sins. In my opinion, she’s ripped off more from Masterchef. The name of her show and the references to Masterclass. The producers of Masterchef should counter-sue her.

15 Mac { 07.14.10 at 4:27 am }

lol that woman is simply desperate for attention. Not surprising she’s a Masterchef reject. I hope Channel 10 sues her for stealing the Masterclass idea and the intro.

16 Reality Raver { 07.14.10 at 5:58 pm }

Shelsta78 – You are right, I have not watched much of Masterchef UK

Fides – You need to flog your story to A Current Affair NOW.

Sue – Well she got some publicity, but I think she may have a credibility issue now, as I went onto her Facebook page (link from her website) and there were not 5600 followers, just over 350, however she was probably nervous on TV.

Pollywaffle – ‘Suzee Vide’ is one of your best puns yet.

CG – Interestingly enough the story before mine was about Brian Mc Fadden and his attacking people over facebook, and considering he was/is contracted to the station it was not flattering to him.

Angel86 and Mac- I doubt she will lawyer up

Gillian – Thanks for the kind words, yes it would be great to make some money out of this blog one day…..

17 Dw { 07.14.10 at 11:43 pm }

OH well, she got her 30sec of fame, a desperate bid to get hits on her you tuber link me thinks.
If she was that good why not have the videos on her own website. But wait…maybe someone has that idea already………and how much was she paid for those interviews? hmmmmmm

18 angelaanaconda { 07.15.10 at 11:59 pm }

I thought she was known as Suzee Hotpot? http://www.mastercook.com.au/

19 Anonymous { 07.17.10 at 7:26 pm }

Just wanted to say that some people have their facts wrong. I do have over 5,600 followers on FB. I have 2 different profiles. Also I was not paid for any interviews.
Lastly, MasterChef’s masterclass last night was Gluttony one of the seven deadly sins and surprise surprise included was a demonstration of chocolate brownie.
It’s amazing how much time people have to say things about people they don’t even know.

20 Anonymous { 07.17.10 at 7:30 pm }

PS I do have the videos and my YouTube channel on my website and I never claimed to have created the seven deadly sins as such.

21 Alan E { 07.20.10 at 2:26 pm }

Oh Anonymous (Suzee)

Your so transparent. Your show is awful and cheap. You cooking skills are deplorable (i mean really, tim tam ice cream…). You portray am image of a typical gold coast swinger, all legs/trying to be sexy – but it absolutely DOESNT work. Ok, so to your legions of fans… over 6000 eh, so why do your second rate videos on youtube have tiny amounts of hits. Why dont all these people become a fan of your ‘fan’ page. It very easy to randomly add anyone on Facebook Suzee, everyone knows that – but a bit harder for them to become a ‘fan’. Incidentally, the gold coast cooking comp you won…. i saw that one of your opposition contestants was a child… tough gig. Seriously, give it up – unless you are doing a comedy, in which case, your a genius.

22 Derek Spanner { 07.20.10 at 2:34 pm }

Check out http://www.masterchefreject.com – kind of like what Suzee is doing but ummm…. different. Latest celeb special featuring Stephen Curry!…

23 Neilshy { 07.20.10 at 2:48 pm }

Yes Derek! – your website is hillarious – a show in the making, i implore everyone to have a look at http://www.masterchefreject.com – seriously, it’s kinda Suzee Hotpot, but actually good…, well hillarious! Stephen Curry popped up in the last episode!

24 Reality Raver { 07.20.10 at 4:11 pm }

Derek and Neilshy – yes masterchefreject.com is funny especially the opening credits.

25 Derek Spanner { 07.21.10 at 1:25 pm }