MasterChef Australia Justine V Matt Moran

matt moran 1

Have you noticed the closer the MasterChef prize becomes the quieter the peanut gallery becomes? Barely a peep gone are the days the balcony were as vocal as a Greek chorus. More on that later.

Tonight it was Justine’s second time in the beat the chef challenge, and tonight she was up against talented chef Matt Moran. I loved when they introduced him and said everything he had done they did not mention he had been host of The Chopping Block. That would have been promoting another TV station.

Matt Moran showed tonight why he is such good TV talent he was nice, cheeky, mentored Justine well, and he looked damn hot. Hopefully this will not be the last time we see him on the show.

Real chef’s make desserts as tonight’s dish was to replicate an Aria dish pear tart, with poached pear, crumble and caramel. I don’t know why so many chefs just think the dessert course is beneath them. There were a lot of components to the dish, and I thought it was a bit rough Justine only had a 15 minute head start.

She did not help herself by forgetting about the crumble and burning it. Now the way it was edited would indicate that Poh noticed that Justine had the crumble in the oven, however did not say anything. Funny how she managed to shout out to Guy Grossi in a previous challenge when his plating collapsed.

To be fair to Poh none of the others said anything either, and Julie definitely knew as Poh whispered to her about it. Maybe they are all getting worried there will be no places for them in the final week if people keep on getting through.

Justine’s plate scored quite high with a score of 24/30 overall. However what cracked me up about tonight’s judging was how sychophantic the judges were, particularly Matt Preston, and Gary Mehigan were to Matt Moran. Very different from other weeks. Gary gave him 10/10 funny considering he said he had preferred the flavour of the tart on Justine’s plate, and  Matt Preston gave him 9/10 “I would have given you a ten, but I know you prefer a nine.” There was so much love in the air I thought a group hug was going to evolve.

Justine has been annointed the one to beat at this stage. The only other three that are in it at this stage are Chris, Lucas and Julia.

1 Wurstsemmel { 06.16.09 at 10:10 pm }

Tonight really confirms for me that this challenge is really a non-event. Justine’s tart won hands down on flavour yet scored lower. Matt’s dish was criticized on a number of things yet scored 10s. Go figure.

Matt gave Justine a stack of help. Charming, funny and caring, he’d get my vote.

2 Injera { 06.16.09 at 10:16 pm }

Yes, how can Ten maintain the charade that the judges don’t know which dish is which, when Matt P greets Matt M with “I could have given you ten, but I know you prefer nine”. Particularly after, as you say Wurstsemmel, most of what we saw was more positive crit for Justine’s tart and just a “slightly softer pear” for Matt M.

Joining the chorus of Matt M. love. I want him to be next year’s bald chef. Bye George!

3 Kyvyny { 06.16.09 at 10:41 pm }

Loved this challenge. Not only does Chef Moran work well, Sarah returns from her hideaway. Just how tall is she any how? Standing and talking with Justine, it’s like she’s 7 feet tall.

Judges picking on the brownness of Justine’s crumble? They should have taken the first batch if that was a concern.

4 Ange { 06.16.09 at 11:59 pm }

I love how Sarah has had some elocution lessons in the last few weeks. She has stopped saying “You will be gowin home”. She now says ” You will leave the competition”. Clever, but NOT clever enough. I can still hear the speech/pronunciation defect in there 😉

Sarah hasn’t read a script with an “ing” in there for at least 2.5 weeks, yeah?

I’m buggered if I know how someone who can mangle the English language so consistently was ever a magazine editor. Silly me. It is always WHO you know, not WHAT. How DID she handle the sub editors?

5 CG { 06.17.09 at 1:07 am }

I hope Matt Moran takes over from George next season. As Matt is gay there wouldn’t be a repeat of the Poh-obsession…and I think Matt is much more professional and sophisticated than George. Gary is OK. But boy he must be intimidated by Matt. Gary has given pretty much all of the other celebrity chefs a bit of a hard time with some cutting comments for each and less than perfect scores. But for Matt he pulls out a 10 and only glowing comments. Perhaps they are in the process of recruiting Matt to Ten so everyone was under instructions to be super nice? On physical stature…isn’t it interesting that the two young women left in the day-to-day competition (if you take out Julie and Julia for a moment) are both very, very petite. A coincidence given George’s (and Gary’s) small stature? Would love to see Matt Moran interact with Matt the Cravatt on a regular basis. From Cravatt’s comments its seems they know each other quite well and we could be in for some intelligent banter!

6 Reality Raver { 06.17.09 at 1:10 am }

I thought Matt Moran was married with a couple of kids. But I could be wrong, and it is Sydney they all turn here at the end.

7 Kyvyny { 06.17.09 at 1:11 am }

CG – Maybe that was a sly part of the vote comment from Preston, “prefer a [Ch]9” instead of a [Ch]10.

8 Mary { 06.17.09 at 7:58 am }

oooh, Kyvyny – that’s so sneaky!! I love it!

9 sourkraut { 06.18.09 at 12:12 am }

need new judges,i suggest
1 that adorable woman chef on ready steady cook. she does lovely looking inventions in only 10 minutes and she seems to have a lovely personality as she patiently replies to the inane drivel of the compere.
2 paul hogan. his earthy contrast to matt’s sophistication would make good viewing. his masterchef comment was “you can eat it…………..but it tastes like shit”
3 anyone but Maeve o meara as she would give everyone 11 outta 10 , even andr’es red upheavals, (BUT WHERE WERE THE LITTLE BITS OF CARROT?)
btw loved his comment to poh re the height of her terrine. loved her reaction even more. wot a dinga ling, anyhoo if this is gonna be a “kitchen survivor”show there should be more of it……..keeps a bit of interest in it

10 Anonymous { 06.18.09 at 6:34 pm }

Where are the comments about how the others didn’t say anything about Justine’s burning crumble, when they clearly knew as well as Poh? Oh that’s right, Poh’s the apparent heinous bitch.

Double standards, people.

Besides, it’s a COMPETITION. Why would you want one of your biggest threats to get fast-tracked to the final?

11 Steve { 06.24.09 at 8:26 pm }

Has anyone else noticed …
George eats food like a retard!
He whips food into his mouth & bites his fork & spoon!

12 Reality Raver { 06.24.09 at 11:53 pm }

Steve – yes the george’s eating habits are ugly

13 Kyvyny { 06.27.09 at 1:25 am }

George just likes eating his food like he’s in prison

14 SG { 11.12.10 at 9:58 pm }

I can vouch that M is not gay!