The Apprentice – Episode 2 – The Cereal Challenge

Ok we have already established that Carmen Parnos is the bad guy in the show, with some commenter’s on a previous post here talking about her dubious business practices. However she was not given much air time this episode, probably to her relief.

Also there are rumours of a romance in the household – obviously not caught on camera this episode, and considering they were woken up at 4.45am apparently by Mark Bouris’s office, however we all know it was the production assistant assistant.

The challenge was to create a breakfast cereal brand for children. The teams had to design the box, a mascot, a campaign, and a jingle. They then have to present it to Oglivy executives who would decide who the winner was.

Team Eventus (the girls team) started stumbling at the start, by not going for the obvious project manager in Heather Williams who has relevant experience, but Sabrina who was thinking about her feedback she got back from Mark Bouris last episode and said she wanted to lead the team.

Lynton Pipkorn led The Pinnacle (the boys) team as he has marketing experience and wanted to showcase it.

Then it was off to do research with some school kids (obviously set up). John was sent along for the boys team as he was a father and so should know how to talk to kids, however he barely said a word when he got there.

I thought the girls were going to be stronger in this challenge. Sabrina was a bit condescending to her team mates, obviously in her management 101 class she had been told to praise her colleagues and that is what she did. In fact Heather had a more leadership role. In fact after this challenge it would appear there is not a lot of love between Heather and Sabrina.

Sabrina played a leadership by consensus role, but she did not really put her stamp on the challenge either. I thought Carmen was correct when she said in the boardroom it would not have mattered if Sabrina had been leading or not the same outcome would have been achieved.

The boys stuffed up by having a maze on the back that was impossible to do, but really the box was a prototype so was no big deal.  Lynton stuffed up by not calling the Oglivy executives by their proper names, and also by being the only one that spoke. I did think their jingle was catchy. By the way did Blake even speak or contribute to the challenge apart from dressing up as the pink elephant?

So Eventus send in the two good looking chicks to pitch to the middle aged men, and then the girls proceed to jump all around the room. This was thought to present a better energy to the room. Seriously if someone started boogieing to a song whilst they were trying to pitch me something it would be a big turnoff.

Also I was not sure about what the worthiness of the zebra apparently it will help with kids self esteem, telling the kids that eat the cereal that they can be whoever they want to be. The Oglivy executives did call them on that.

Sabrina seemed to arch up when the team got some negative feedback on their pitch well and argued back. She has a very strong sense of self, about herself and her abilities. This was brought up in the boardroom and she realised that she was getting nowhere arguing she apologised. I have to confess I find the way she speaks rather irritating, it is very mono tonal.

The girls won, apparently the boys lost because they did not bring the same energy to their pitch. The girls prize was cocktails at The Ivy talking with Brett Rutledge, a world class public speaker.

In the elimination scene, Lynton was criticised for stuffing up the advertising executives names, and John was criticised for not speaking to the children. Morello was trying his real estate bullshit patter when he tried to hoodwink Mark Bouris into thinking the maze on the back of the packet. And boy did Mark put him in his place.

Lynton picked John and Sam to go on the firing line with him. I thought it particularly unfair that Sam was pulled in considering he sung the jingle and picked the cereal name.

I thought John was right when he said that Lynton had been a bit self indulgent with wanting to show off his “marketing skills” to the people. I actually thought Mark Bouris got it right. Even though I see no future in John being on the show. I thought Lynton had made all the calls which made them lose the pitch and hence the challenge.

He had decided no one else would speak, and he also did bring in Sam and particularly John in as a sacrificial lambs. Mark Bouris called him on it and fired him. Goodbye Lynton.

1 CG { 10.06.09 at 12:59 am }

Oh dear! No comments. If ratings continue to fall week-on-week, Ch9 might axe Apprentice or cut it short like they have with other reality shows this year (e.g. HomeMADE)!

I think the real problem with Apprentice Australia is not Mark Bouris (he’s getting better and will be over his nerves soon). The problem is not the contestants, yes some are big yawns or bogan hillbillies…but that has been the case on Apprentice US and UK. I think the problem is the narrator, the music and the editing! It is too subdued, there is no suspense, no passion, no edge!

Anyhoo, here are some of my random observations on tonights second episode of Apprentice:

– the beauty queen has a wonky left eye which can be distracting

– Lynton twice used the phrase: “in agreeance”- – I HATE THAT!! See urban dictionary definition: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=agreeance

– for the challenge the name, box design, cartoon charater and jingle should not have prescribed as the elements they needed to create – they should have just said come up with a campaign for “this” kids’ cereal and see how many of these elements each team came up with on their own

– “off camera” the advisor to the boys team said of their brainstorming session: “idea diarrhea”- and then the young kid on the team suggests the name “zoo poo”! Ha!

– put away those fucking black “˜pleather’ folders you were given at the start of the show – so tacky!

– the Zebra character esp. the drawn version looked evil … will scare little kids

– Carmen…meow!! an what is with the pink-ice lippy? Oh my! And the zebra-striped jacket and b&w shoes…did she just happen to have those in her suitcase?

– Why is that one guy ALWAYS ironing his shirts – OCD maybe?

Agree with RR that Bouris made the right decision tonight. And didn’t we know Lynton was fired early when he penned that article about his experience last week. How embarassing for the guy to lose in the marketing challenge and in front of Ogilvy & Mather execs…he was really full of shit. And from his article it sounded like he may have lost his day job as well. This happened to a couple of people on the US show: their performance on the Apprentice was so embarassing and/or offensive that they were fired when they returned to their “real” jobs.

Well I have a feeling the audience numbers are smallish but I think the show and group of contestants has good potential and will get better in the coming weeks!

2 Laura { 10.06.09 at 1:51 am }

I thought Sabrina was a very good project manager! She was right, her job wasn’t to do everything and come up with all the ideas, she is supposed to coordinate the group which she did very well. Yes Heather was delegated the job of compiling the images on the box but it was awful, I wouldn’t want to take credit for that. And Sabrina was right, three exclamation points is tacky. I’m actually surprised that the girls won, I thought the boys’ box was a lot better. And I wouldn’t have thought that jumping up and down, singing to a jingle would be appealing to advertising execs. However Lynton was not a good public speaker, he should have delegated the presentation to someone else.
I think Bouris made the right decision. Sam & Sabrina are my favourite contestants right now, despite their lack of experience! And I also like Morello. I hate Carmen, and Heather does not seem very talented for all her talk. The rest of them just don’t stand out to me.
I wish more people were watching this show, it is very entertaining. The 9.30pm timeslot is not doing it any favours.

3 Aaron { 10.06.09 at 3:17 am }

Thanks for posting this, I recorded the episode on my foxtel and because of the dely on the channel 9 and the foxtel it stoped recording the moment he was about to fire someone ><

4 Alicia { 10.06.09 at 3:30 am }

Morello is the highlight of the show…
so funny

5 Rob { 10.06.09 at 9:25 am }

CG are you serious – you have NFI?

This was clearly a square up from last week. teh problem with this show is that is it more Big Brother than the real business world. Its a joke.

The boys flogged the girls again and Bouris certainly has no eye for talent. John contributed zero for two weeks in a row. At least Lynton had stood up and had a crack. In the real world, you are expected to perform, and the boys cereal box, brand name, jingle and character were far superior to the girls effort once again. Fancy chossing a Zebra – the cross eyed African donkey!

The elephant was heaps better. And in the real world, you dont dance and prance about a boardroom in a pitch, you present a story and how you have come up with your ideas. Pinnacle had the style and the substance, but the grandpa’s at Ogilvy were more interested in talking to the pretty girls and seeing them make tools of themselves. Their jingle also sucked!! If you are not good enough, you cant hide behind a sweet and innocent exterior, or because you are a ‘battler’. Bouris has been pathetic, certainly after Carmen’s terrible performance where she failed at every turn. And this week by going soft on John who was a rabit in the headlights and is completely out of his depth.

6 CG { 10.06.09 at 10:07 am }

Rob…is your first name Lynton or is he your younger brother? Ha!

If you read my post, I didn’t say the “girls” presentation was superior, I think it was cringeworthy. I was critical of the zebra character and think Sabrina is a joke and said so from episode one. But I do think Bouris got it right in sparing us from any further posing by Lynton.

Lynton was terrible in the task, pathetic in managing others and excruciatingly BAD in the presentation that he insisted he was the best one to deliver. Where did he go to school? What are his actual “marketing” qualifications and experience?

I think the “reality” is that Lynton was super intimidated by the “grandpas” at Ogilvy where Lynton dreams of having a job but would never (ever) get hired. Who shows up for a presentation and doesn’t know the name of the clients you are presenting to? Good grief. Not only did Lynton look like an amateur fool in trying to come off as a marketing guru, he then went on to reconfirm his total lack of knowledge and experience in the immature and amateurish article posted after he was fired.

Lynton was a nervous mess and leaning on marketing 101 theory crap you learn at TAFE (what is a value propostion boy and girls..? Ha!!). I’ve had plenty of experience in the boardroom and I know an amateur and a fake when I see one. Lynton is not an experienced marketing professional and very clearly has no experience in any kind of executive presentations or managing people. I stand by my view that Bouris got it right.

7 Culinary Boner { 10.06.09 at 10:44 am }

The Zebra character looked like a great introduction to party drug culture for the kiddies – wonky eyes, manic expression, insane grin, a trippy coloured mane, plus a swirly patterning. A perfect visual to stare out when you’re tripping out on food colouring and sugar and ignoring your parents.

8 reality raver { 10.06.09 at 11:39 am }

CG – I agree with most of your comments – I have to be honest and I will be flamed by some people, I have never quite worked out what marketing people do. I remember being in a marketing meeting once and thought there was more hot air than substance.

Rob – I tend to agree with you. I thought the men’s team was stronger, particularly the name of the cereal and the jingle. In fact I was impressed by Sam. I thought the criticism of him just saying things (ie brainstorming) but coming up with crap was harsh. Sometimes someone else will pick up on someone else dubious name/idea and spark off a better idea.

Aaron – I learnt a long time ago if it is on Channel 9 tape the show after it. also tend to do it with all the Free to Air stations.

Laura – to quote Michael ‘tresemme’ from Project Runway Australia. Sabrina irritates the shit out of me.

Also I think the Gavin/Heather rumour is bollocks methinks Carmen was being mischevious. I like heather and think she may have the ability to win the show, either her, or Gavin.

9 sourkraut { 10.06.09 at 1:28 pm }

Would have loved to see someone spit out the sample and exclaim “it tastes like c@#p, how can we move this s%$t? Alas !
19 year old was on the right track, part of his verbal dire rear (too lazy to spell it ) was calling it “zoo poo” naughty boy! Bouris obviously heard about that in his only criticism of him. (perhaps if they’d called it dog t*&d and tonic they would have done better)
Morello’s hug test. The last thing I’d want from him!
carmen criticised sabrina b4 during and after. Wonder what Bouris would make of that if he thought Lynton was quote”Machiavellian”?
Any hoo don’t give up your day job people to become jingle singers.
Zebra idea seemed crap to me especially the coloured mane, but I’m not an ad exec thank God! Thought the elephant would appeal more to kids of both sex
Thought pin nackers presentation was good but the impression of some of them hanging around like spare d@&ks at a wedding was not positive, and for the alpha male to forget the exec”s names cost them dearly
Heather was obviously very competent and Carmen got it right in her bitchathon 3 that Sab made no dif to the result
John get off yer butt!
Morello, Bouris is onto your BULLSHIT and sleazeisms, so pull up your socks and forget about Morello Knots. I’m waiting for him to “hit on” the blonde secretary a la one of the earlier Trump Apprentice shows. At least that would add some interesting romance.
Haven’t worked out who to barrack for yet. It WON’T be the lawyer. In line with my admiration for the dreaded Chris B, I think I’ll barrack for Carmen

10 Warren { 10.06.09 at 4:07 pm }

I think that everyone agrees (except one) that Sabrina has to be the one that gets the vote for 1. Most liekly to annoy the shit out of you 2. Most likely to sound fake and 3. Most likely to think that she is better than anyone else. Apparently the rumours about Gavin & Heather are for real, a number of people who are in the show at the end mentioned it to TV Week, so cant wait to hear all the juicy gossip on that one, both have aprtners so maybe channel nine is trying to keep it quiet, esp if one of them is the winner? Will be tuning in next week, cant wait to see who gets fired next.. I agree I think that Lynton was full of shit and that he looked like someone who had never pitched before

11 Reality Raver { 10.06.09 at 4:25 pm }

well if the romance rumours are true, if I was Nine I would be spruiking them out there to try and get some viewers in.

12 Reality Raver { 10.06.09 at 4:27 pm }

Sourkraut – I thought the way Carmen was edited tonight was much better… for her. I thought it was a fair call on her part, Sabrina neither added or detracted from the challenge. And you just like fake blondes…… By the way the new Amazing Race starts this thursday.

13 dmc { 10.06.09 at 6:17 pm }

Bouris isn’t cutting it. He’s not engaging enough to hold the show. The boardroom scenes have little tension (esp compared to Alan Sugar). There’s something about this version that doesn’t have the magic of the UK model…

14 Missy { 10.06.09 at 7:35 pm }

dmc, I think Mark Bouris is VERY engaging! In any case it’s early days yet and he’s not exactly a media personality unlike Donald Trump. I think you can still be effective without having to resort to theatrics. Then again, I think Mark is the most handsome man on Australian tv at the moment so I *may* be a little biased in my opinion!!

15 dmc { 10.06.09 at 8:19 pm }

The secret to the success of the US and UK versions has been the cult followings that the Donald and Surallan built up with their quirky mannerisms. I’m not about to write Bouris off but he doesn’t appear to have that personality that just makes you want to tune in. And sadly Missy, Channel 9 aren’t going to give it much longer – the ‘early days’ period is almost over already.

16 Andrew { 10.06.09 at 10:12 pm }

Firstly, dmc: It’s not “Surallan” it’s Sir Allan…

I missed this episode, Nine still haven’t got it up on their website, so thanks for the breakdown.

The Australian version certainly lacks that little bit that makes the UK version so fantastic. I think it’s partially because the contestants are of mixed age and background, whereas the UK version, they are all 20’s/early 30’s and have basically the same sort of social level. This version is a typical channel nine take, with jazzy music, snazzy graphics and very little depth, which it also appears has happened with their new series of Secret Millionaire. Bouris is engaging, but he doesn’t ooze the powerful, no nonsense sort of attitude that Trump and Sugar both have about them. He’s a bit timid and is unwilling to bully the contestants, pick them apart… It’s a shame really, it makes all the boardroom scenes a little lifeless.

I think Channel Nine need to get the editors in from the UK version to really get this show going… Sadly, I think it’s going to be a one series run…

17 sourkraut { 10.06.09 at 10:19 pm }

Reality raver
you still have not explained to me how you know she is a “fake” blonde!
Actually the reason i support her is because like chris she is clearly “the villun” who will get her just reeward, (I’m waiting for the media to prove she has been cheating somehow, my oh my I love a good conspiracy theory) besides if she goes early who is there left to hate, other than the narcissistic lawyer? and if there is noone to hate the show will surely die in the bum, which I don’t want , as it does have reasonably good entertainment value in the desert that is OZ tv.(other than SBS)
SIGH Amazing race 23! Just when i thought i could stop watching and whingeing because Celebrity mastercrap was boring you tell me AR is on again. Oh the pathos!

18 Reality Raver { 10.06.09 at 10:31 pm }

Missy and DMC – I have to agree with Missy I think Mark Bouris is hot.

Sourkraut – I can see her roots…. I will keep on tantalising you with reality TV shows.

Andrew – Normally you can find most reality tv shows on http://realitytvfan.org/ however they don’t seem to have the Australian version of The Apprentice up.

19 sourkraut { 10.06.09 at 10:35 pm }

R R come to think of it i think I’m falling for Diane Stone

20 sourkraut { 10.06.09 at 10:38 pm }

R R the next question to your reply is so obvious i will not ask it out of the little decency left in my character after supporting two arch crooks

So long as Survivor is not coming back (fire is life yackety yackety yack)

21 Reality Raver { 10.06.09 at 11:01 pm }

Sourkraut – If you think Diane is hot, you need to watch the reality TV show The Swan – every week someone is churned out looking like her.

22 dmc { 10.07.09 at 7:29 am }

Andrew – agree 100% (by the way, yes, it’s ‘Sir Alan’ – some members of the English press call him ‘Surallan’ for fun)

RR – watching because Bouris is ‘hot’ is precisely the reason this show may well fail. Audiences in the main are far too savvy for that. They’d much rather have a Matt Preston.

23 Big Gary { 10.07.09 at 8:57 am }

Lynton was still the sexiest male and should of stayed on.

24 sourkraut { 10.07.09 at 1:12 pm }

Reality raver
I didn’t say she was hot. I’m not that crazy, besides lurv is blind. I’m fatally attracted to her zippy personality (and blondeness)

25 CG { 10.07.09 at 9:30 pm }

Ch9 is repeating AA at 10pm on Wed after Hey Hey! Obvoius attempt to boost ratings / followership…I hope they stick with it. I think it needs better editing, more oompph and Bouris needs to lighten up but I reckon there could be some good shows in the mix after some of the obvious dead wood is shed in the first few weeks. Drama, baby, drama! Ch9 needs to amp it up!

PS: 2 1/2 hours of Hey Hey! pretty pathetic… soon it will be Hey Hey and Mad Men 24×7 on Ch9.

26 sourkraut { 10.07.09 at 9:52 pm }

R R
Please note, I was NOT attracted to Justine!
Hay hay splat away, BIG YAWN. Move the apprentice to 8:30 thanks

27 Rob { 10.16.09 at 9:52 am }

What are your crednetials ‘CG’? You sound like you think youre the man, with ‘I have heaps of presentation and boardroom experience’ yadda yadda. From what you just said in your last post you really do have NFI do you? Just another git who thinks they know what they’re talking about on a ‘reality TV forum’.
Knob
It sounds like you went to TAFE to pick up a Diploma and the only board room you have seen is one where they manufactured the plaster boards for your fibro house.