Masterchef Australia – From Tuna To Tears

It is the last week before the finals, Claire is a known front runner now, and they give her ten more minutes in the immunity challenge. I thought this was completely unfair to the other contestants, who have had to do the challenges in the allotted time in previous weeks, where they might have had to opportunity to win an immunity pin. Also by some miracle she had managed to beat sushi chef Shaun Presland, she would have waltzed straight into finals week on this advantage.

The collegiate feel of the peanut gallery continued with them calling out tips to Claire.

It is obvious Claire Winton Burn does not like to fail, or she is totally exhausted, as she started crying towards the end of the 1 hour and 45 minute challenge, and seemed to take awhile to stop.  She was still sobbing whilst waiting to get the judges results. To be honest it started to irritate me. Yes it was a tough challenge, however it is meant to be.

By the way how good did that chunk of tuna look? Tonight she had to “cook” a tuna plate, consisting of a tuna avocado roll, tuna taco, and tuna tataki on a daikon radish roll. Considering how difficult precise Claire found the challenge,  it would have been an absolute disaster if someone like Jimmy  or Aaron had had to front up for the test.

Speaking of Aaron he did crack me up when he said “You know you’re having a bad day when your themometre cracks in your oil”.

I love the way at judging when Matt Preston was talking about Claire’s dish he was gushing and saying “There are amazing amounts of things that are right on this”. However when talking about Shaun’s, after he had smacked down Donna Hay for being too gushy, he said the taco shell was too dark.

Donna gave Claire a seven, as did George and Matt for a total of 21. Shaun was looking worried until Donna flipped him a 10, Matt gave him a 9, and George gave him a ten. I think he scored the highest of any celebrity chef this year.

So tomorrow night it is game on with them all getting to showcase their own styles for some special guest judges.

1 Come on { 07.14.10 at 2:50 pm }

I used to love reading this blog, but the comments here are so unbelievably cruel. They’re worse than the official site, even. Is there anywhere on the internet you can discuss or read about this show without people cutting the poor contestants to absolute shreds?

2 rusty { 07.14.10 at 2:56 pm }

CoMe on,

Like the way you did, dear? Getting stuck into horrible Jonno and arrogant Aaron? And I think CG got a blast of your shredding tendencies, too.

We’re all guilty at some point. Even you.

3 rusty { 07.14.10 at 3:01 pm }

Actually, it’s this hyperventilating tragedy queen act that annoys me, not just from Claire – most of the contestants do it at some point.

Watching the TDF and the ABC’s 4Corners doco on the Aussie troops in Afghanistan after MC does rather put these “worst day ever”, “stabbed to the heart” and “world of pain” cliches in perspective.

4 CG { 07.14.10 at 3:20 pm }

Sorry guys, I think Fides is right: I had another look at the preview, three are up for elimination – not three eliminated tonight. I guess you see/hear what you want to?!

But how are they going to get down to 2 persons by next Thursday?? I can’t remember how they did the final week of eliminations last year?

I had a sinking feeling last night that Claire was going to get the immunity. I started yelling at my husband how unfair it was (hubby doesn’t watch the show, he was in the other room). I couldn’t believe the advantages she was getting: using Shaun’s oil, extra help from Shaun and then the extra 10 minutes. Oi!

I think next year they need to re-think these celebrity chef challenges. As many have said, it is almost impossible for the contestants to beat a chef at one of his/her signature dishes they have cooked a million times. So keep the celebrity chefs but have both the chef and the contestant cook something new / a surprise or an interpretation. This would provide for much more interesting contests and perhaps a few more immunity pins could be won? Then have the celebrity chefs do their signature dishes for demonstration on Friday nights instead of the G’s doing 1.5 hour masterclasses.

Oh and Fides: thanks heaps for the image of Donna Hay’s deformed toenails that I hope I can erase from my mind before I go to bed tonight.

5 seepi { 07.14.10 at 3:28 pm }

but I do think there is a bit of a big brother effect, in which the MC house becomes their reality a bit, and they really do get upset about their cooking missteps.

Claire and Callum seem to have bought into it the most this time around.

6 Culinary Boner { 07.14.10 at 3:32 pm }

Yes, Raver. Vagina-gate is a good description. I demand a Royal Commission.

Just noticed that your site’s ads included this highly appropriate advert for a sushi-making machine – http://www.jlpackaging.com.au/food_processing_equipment.htm.

Perhaps instead of sneaking in booze, the peanut gallery – as you so rightly call them – should have snuck one of these onto the set to help Claire.

7 Fides { 07.14.10 at 3:51 pm }

CG : lol that’s a pleasure! I’m a sucker for punishment, so I’ve now even googled “world’s longest toenails” – the toenails were not as bad as my visions, but the search also comes up with long fingernail images which are truly disturbing.

Here’s the link to the list of 5 minute videos – re Claire – it’s the bit when she stands with arms akimbo and says something like “right, any questions from the peanut gallery?”

8 Culinary Boner { 07.14.10 at 5:00 pm }

Sushi = Toe curling? What to make of this?

9 Fides { 07.14.10 at 5:42 pm }

We know Matt has his moments stroking paella crusts, so imagine if Donna had started moaning when she saw the avocado on those sushi rolls. She kept it together pretty well, toes notwithstanding.

10 Reality Raver { 07.14.10 at 6:00 pm }

Fides – I have to be honest my ideal fantasy would be that sushi served by Adam Molenas.

11 Fides { 07.14.10 at 6:08 pm }

I’m picturing that myself now… is your Adam M wearing a shirt?

12 smauge { 07.14.10 at 6:24 pm }

I’m sticking to my fantasy of being fed something tall and sweet from Adriano

13 Pollywaffle { 07.14.10 at 6:46 pm }

For me, its Geo dipping his head in chlorophyll and rubbing it all over Alvin

14 smauge { 07.14.10 at 6:51 pm }

Alvin? Is that you?

15 Fides { 07.14.10 at 6:52 pm }

Ahhhhh Polly – you’ve made me spit all over on my screen!!

Jono’s would involve Heston, a caramel bath and white chocolate candles. And they can feed each other his lust dessert.

16 brain dead dave { 07.14.10 at 6:55 pm }

Playing “is it pork or is it beef?” with Irmgaard….

17 smauge { 07.14.10 at 7:07 pm }

My turn to spit on the screen!

18 rusty { 07.14.10 at 8:02 pm }

yeesus!

no wonder Come oN ran creaming from this blog!

19 brain dead dave { 07.14.10 at 8:12 pm }

Have to concur with the blogger who yesterday reported no cooking caramel at Coles. You were bang on.

20 NT Kate { 07.15.10 at 9:42 am }

Fides – thanks for the link to the 5 minute challenges, they were kind of cute, and one or two even had useful cooking ideas/techniques!

21 Reality Raver { 07.15.10 at 10:07 am }

Come On I just saw your comment now, I think this blog normally,(not all the time) is fairly balanced. I think most of the people on this blog want the best cook to win. So I suspect by next week, there will be a lot of Go Adam, go Claire’s and possibly a few going for Courtney. As with all forums people are judging from the editing they are seeing on TV. I think Adam is getting a great edit at them moment, as is Alvin and Courtney. Claire I am not too sure about.

Fides – I cannot see Claire on the Aaron – 5 mins Spag Cabonara, he is very natural on camera.

Brain Dead Dave – what is cooking caramel and if it was in the Masterchef Pantry then it must be common. Yeah?

Fides – of course Molenas is NOT wearing a shirt, it is only fantasies about Gary where the chef whites stay well and truly on.

Pollywaffle – I think any fantasy involving Geo has got to involve Callum.

Fides – come on liven the jono one up and stick a bit of nitro in there.

Brain Dead Dave – LMAO they have to bring Irmgard back as a guest for the final as one of THE judges.

22 smauge { 07.15.10 at 10:09 am }

I think any fantasy involving Geo has got to involve Callum. And sweat.

23 Fides { 07.15.10 at 10:24 am }

Raver – you have to watch the Claire making her flaming crepes (or Crepes Claire as the others name her dish) 5 min video to see her in action. She’s not sooo bad, but definitely different from the Claire we see at the MC kitchen.

Thanks everyone for helping me get rid of Donna toenail images – these new ones you’ve put into my head are almost as disturbing but strangely satisfying… I want MC to release a special calendar.

24 Horrified { 07.15.10 at 12:36 pm }

Wow. Someone told me about these blog sites where people get on and make incredible comments about people they don’t know based on edited situations shown on tv of people in pressure situations.

I wish I could be as perfect as all the people who comment on here. Perhaps if I dwelled in the cyber world too because my life outside was so boring, I might. I truly pity you all.

25 Reality Raver { 07.15.10 at 1:20 pm }

Horrified – Do you think these contestants would prefer no one talking about them at all?

Fides will check out the crepes video.

26 brain dead dave { 07.15.10 at 2:08 pm }

RR . Cooking caramel is caramel masakan according to Alvin’s recipe at Coles. I asked for it by name and the girl bless her ,took me a few aisles and pointed to a can of caramel for pouring on dessert puddings. Don’t think it’s that common, in fact Alvo’s recipe says one can substitute dark corn syrup.
Coles won’t have the Shaoxing wine either.This is for his caramelised pork gut greedout the other night.

27 sourkraut { 07.15.10 at 2:41 pm }

Didnt see it. I’m Glad.
Bet the bloody tuna was cooked raw. YUCK

28 brain dead dave { 07.15.10 at 3:28 pm }

Geez, Horrified(74) , I feel smaller than one of Callum’s lamingtons.

29 smauge { 07.15.10 at 4:19 pm }

I love it when people come on blogs and have a rant about people who get on blogs not having anything better to do. Pot. Kettle. Black.

30 reality raver { 07.15.10 at 7:46 pm }

Fides – checked out the crepes video, she seemed far more relaxed. But how long did it take to cook the crepe?