Open Post: Masterchef Australia – Masterclass

Second last Masterclass, can you cope? As CG pointed out today if you have watched all the episodes of Masterchef Australia you have spent weeks of your life watching this show.

Now add in the time reading, talking and writing about it – has it been worth it?

Anyway if you cannot even contemplate such a existential topic on a Friday night, just discuss the Masterclass here.

1 Anon { 07.16.10 at 9:05 pm }

Half an hour in and no comments so I guess RR you have your answer. MC Fatigue has set in. Watching Jimmy guessing spices is hardly riveting.

2 brain dead dave { 07.16.10 at 9:11 pm }

It’s just started in SA. Gary’s opening “pinch yourselves” sermon isn’t promising. Claire’s tossing those ringlets like there’s no tomorrow.

3 Reality Raver { 07.16.10 at 9:13 pm }

I don’t get why Jimmy was sent on the Universal masterclass out of the final 6 isn’t he the one who least needs it

4 Anon { 07.16.10 at 9:20 pm }

Christine telling Jimmy to ‘always keep it spicy’…um I think every one is a bit sick of the curries.
RR-at least Jimmy can pretend to apply what he learnt @ universal as I can’t see him smoking baby beets

5 brain dead dave { 07.16.10 at 9:23 pm }

I don’t like how Gary dips his finger into the vinagrette(sic?) then into his mouth,then tests the firmness of the fish.He tells Courtney it’s okay to do that?. That’s a marriage of alaments I don’t need.

6 Anon { 07.16.10 at 9:28 pm }

Yet another dish where prep starts the day before…

7 CG { 07.16.10 at 9:30 pm }

I might actually download and try Georgies’ tzatziki recipe! Errr, maybe the guilt about the MC time investment is starting to play on my mind?

8 Reality Raver { 07.16.10 at 9:31 pm }

Yeah I would go to Georges’s restaurant he can cook. Apparently Gary is going to reopen Fenix

I wish I could cook when someone else has done the prep work

9 CG { 07.16.10 at 9:36 pm }

RR: first coffee in the morning and remote controls = that is what kids are for…prep work and clean up = that is what husbands are for!

10 CG { 07.16.10 at 9:37 pm }

Best thing about finale week of MC = Hawke mini-series follows starting after MC on Sunday night! It is supposed to be excellent. And how delish that it is going to be shown as we have the JG-KRudd “night of the long knives” controversy brewing…and the election which now seems confirmed for 21 August!

11 Anon { 07.16.10 at 9:44 pm }

CG-I thought they were tipping August 28

12 CG { 07.16.10 at 9:46 pm }

Anon- Latest from the journos is that JG will go as quick as she can before Krudd can do too much damage…and go for 21 Aug .. which fulfills the min 5 week election period. We will find out tomorrow (Sat) morning at 10:30am.

13 angelaanaconda { 07.16.10 at 9:52 pm }

I’ve been busy compiling an email to you RR, another “dirty, dastardly” MC scam I think I have found. Check your inbox!

Tee hee Gary just said “firm” and “soft”, oh and “hard crack”!

14 Anon { 07.16.10 at 9:52 pm }

CG-I guess we shall…not that it matters. Live in a safe seat. So safe occassionally the other party doesn’t bother running.

15 CG { 07.16.10 at 9:59 pm }

Anon- We live in a ALP safe seat (Plibersek in Inner Sydney). So while I would normally support the Libs, I am going to support the Greens candidate as there is good chance Green prefs this year will be wide open and cut into the ALP vote. I reckon Greens may even do some deals with the Coalition so they get Libs prefs in some marginal seats such as Tanner’s seat in Melbourne.

Gillard has just tweeted for everyone to get their ass to aec.gov.au to register to vote: game on!

16 CG { 07.16.10 at 10:00 pm }

Angelaanaconda: hope you will share your scam find with the rest of us!!

17 angelaanaconda { 07.16.10 at 10:02 pm }

If RR deems it fit to be shared, it will be so!

18 brain dead dave { 07.16.10 at 10:03 pm }

Ch 10 in Adelaide keep saying Aug 28 throughout this Masterclar$e. Where’s that octopus when you need it?

19 Anon { 07.16.10 at 10:05 pm }

oohh…love the desert…thats the recipe we are downloading…

20 CG { 07.16.10 at 10:07 pm }

BDD: was shocked today to learn that Paul the octopus only has a life expectancy of 3 years…so has now been retired and is enjoying what little time he has left! :-(

21 Reality Raver { 07.16.10 at 10:07 pm }

Speaking of Adelaide partner just called in to say Andre Ursini’s (last year masterchef contestant) restaurant there was very nice. He said dessert was amazing, and he is not a dessert person.
Also Andre was in the kitchen. So there you go someone from MC actually out there cooking professionally. I hope it is going well for him.

22 Reality Raver { 07.16.10 at 10:08 pm }

I will post about anaconda’s thing tomorrow.

23 CG { 07.16.10 at 10:10 pm }

I have to admit the two little, chubby, “gluttonous-y” chefs cooking up insanely rich food can be quite cute!

24 brain dead dave { 07.16.10 at 10:20 pm }

Yes CG,I feel sorry for Paul the octopus. That’s about the same life expectancy as a rat. He won’t even make the next World Cup.

Andre’s restaurant is in a great spot in the cbd and would probably be great on a freezing night like tonight.

25 seepi { 07.16.10 at 10:27 pm }

I think i will try to make Gary’s flavoured almonds.
Blanch 5 mins in boiling water, fry in olive oil with sprig of thyme and garlic clove (whole/peeled). Fry til brown. Drain on paper.

Looked yummy. The salad with that looked great too (endive/mandarin/yogurt/radish).

and on the finger licking and tasting – that has always been terrible on masterchef. Have they never thought to use a teaspoon to have a taste?

26 Reality Raver { 07.16.10 at 10:38 pm }

Anon – are you going to make the three different types of icecreams as well?

CG – I quite like them both when they are cooking they have that enthusiasm about them.

Seepi – that salad looked amazing,

Hope the election is not on 21st, as I have been invited to two parties that night.

Brain Dead Dave – God do rats live that long? I think it is great that Andre has actually put his money where his mouth is, I hope he is successful with it.

27 Pollywaffle { 07.16.10 at 11:24 pm }

Geo and a Spun Sugar Bonnet …. Dentists of Oz you have your campaign

28 Fides { 07.17.10 at 12:15 am }

I want George’s mum to make a special guest appearance. She hasn’t right – (I could have missed some masterclasses last year)? Geo is the cutest when he talks about her, but I don’t get that same feeling with Alvin.

So this is from last year, but here is a photo and Geo being a sweetheart talking about how every day should be Mother’s Day.

29 Suzanne { 07.17.10 at 12:28 am }

Off to Adelaide next week – might have to check out andre’s restaurant . On topic, did anyone else think Gary’s hair looked a bit odd – we thought a little bit like a back-to-front toupee.

30 Reality Raver { 07.17.10 at 12:33 am }

Suzanne – Maybe they are trying to cover up his bald spot.

31 brain dead dave { 07.17.10 at 3:10 am }

Gary’s hair didn’t just look a bit odd…it looked like a train wreck . It’s what happens when whirls collide…

32 librarygirl { 07.17.10 at 8:26 am }

Sakai on Sunday!!!
All this families (mine) dreams come true.
Our favourite Iron Chef.

33 Wurstsemmel { 07.17.10 at 11:40 am }

CG’s figures got me totally bummed. Although my attachment to watching MCA has become weaker as the series has progressed and I’ve missed some episodes, it’s still so much time and for so very little. This is in direct comparison to Series 1 where I wouldn’t miss anything. It’s not boding well for any Series 3.

34 CG { 07.17.10 at 12:24 pm }

Wurst:

Sorry to bum you out! :-(

I actually did think twice about posting those figures because it also depresses the hell out of me that I’ve invested that kind of time.

On a more positive note, RR’s blog has been the best thing about MC this year and time spent here with such a witty and smart bunch of people critiquing the show and swapping conspiracy and other theories has been fun and time time well spent!

35 Wurstsemmel { 07.17.10 at 3:01 pm }

That’s cool, CG. I think I was in denial. :)

RR’s blog is essential reading and, many times, it’s been enough to know I can catch up with events here.

36 crabtech { 07.17.10 at 7:42 pm }

RR Trevor also opened a restaurant last year.
Andre chose a good time to open it with masterchef on.

37 Reality Raver { 07.17.10 at 10:51 pm }

Thanks Wursts and CG about your kind words on the blog.
BTW good call on the election date CG.

Crabtech – I had read trevor had opened a restaurant , going ok apparently. Good on him. I was just reading earlier today that Adam will ope an japanese Izazyse (sic) which I think is a eating house which most stuff is grilled. So maybe there will be some from this year who will open an eating establishment.