Masterchef Australia Odds For Final Week

Thanks Paul for sending these through. Below is his odds for the final week plus a few comment about the finalists:

$2.70 : Adam

$2.90 : Claire

$7.00 : Alvin, Courtney

$16.00 : Callum

$34.00 : Jimmy

Form Guide

Adam : Been most consistent. Rarely serves up a bad dish but rarely serves up an outstanding dish either. Has good nerves and format of Masterchef suits as consistency rather than brilliance is rewarded.

Claire : Had a good week. Despite blowing up against the celebrity chef has shown in the past she works well under pressure. Has probably more individual talent and food knowledge than all of them. Can put in a bad one every now and then though and for this reason is not favourite.

Alvin : Again fairly consistent but seems a bit one dimensional. Question marks on how he performs with non Asian dishes.

Courtney : A bit of a wildcard. Not afraid to take risks, works hard and performs well under pressure. However being a risk taker her blow ups are magnified. If she can keep it under control to the final three and then let loose with her flair could be a real chance of winning.

Callum : Makes too many mistakes for mine and I just can’t see him going through 5 individual challengers without mucking something up.

Jimmy : Not up to it.

1 kingfisher { 07.16.10 at 10:50 am }

usually when you watch a show with contestants and it is the final week , you get excited and you always want a particular person to win . not this time , all boring . maybe i’d pick jimmy as he would make mc look ridiculous and we would have a great big chuckle and realise we have been watching a comedy series all these months . i need a good laugh after the last few weeks .

2 Paul { 07.16.10 at 10:57 am }

I do agree kingfisher.

I’m just not invested in any of the remaining contestants. Last year I was willing either Justine or Poh to the line but since Marion left just can’t get too excited for the ones that remain.

3 Chunks { 07.16.10 at 12:36 pm }

I don’t care who wins as long as they actually want to be a chef and not a celebrity that makes their own range of emulsifiers, food colouring and artificial flavours dressed up and sold as sauces to Chicken Tonight home cooks. So I think that probably leaves Adam and Callum. I don’t get the carry on about Marion. Yes she was good but she didn’t want to be a chef so what was she doing in MasterCHEF? Answer: seeking celebrity. Pffft.

4 Paul { 07.16.10 at 12:41 pm }

Chunks,
The winner gets a 100K and a book deal. Thats it.

There is nothing that says the winner MUST become a chef once the show is completed.

In fact, it would be very rare considering the start up costs involved, the amount of money you could actually make and the failure rate of new restaurants.

5 Injera { 07.16.10 at 12:54 pm }

Agree with all of you re: not really caring who wins, since the best cooks appear to have gone. Paul, you’re right about the prize money not being a lot to start up a resto, but they could start by working in a restaurant.

The UK comparison is interesting in that regard. Matt Follas, the 2009 winner of UK Masterchef, has opened a successful restaurant, and that’s with no prize money at all. The difference? UK Masterchef has credibility and I’m sure that – despite no “prizes” – it opens doors. I think both semi-finalists have started work in kitchens (in Andy Oliver’s case, he’s been at work at Nahm for the past year). Other winners, like Thomasina Miers, have used it as a stepping stone for (for want of a less judgemental word) real food careers.

Eh, I’m meh about this now, which I’m sure is apparent!

6 Paul { 07.16.10 at 12:58 pm }

Injera,
Probably going off topic here but what happened to that really young girl who got to the final two in I think MC UK Season 3 ? I thought she was brilliant and robbed in the final.

I quite like Thomasina……

7 Injera { 07.16.10 at 1:03 pm }

Ooh, good question, Paul! Will have to do a bit of a google… I haven’t heard any follow up of her. Did you catch Tommi when she was in Australia for food festivals earlier this year? I wasn’t organised enough (which reminds me… must get film fest program).

Okay, back to topic… I guess I’m hoping Adam wins. He’s been, as you say, consistent without being outstanding, which makes him the best of this bunch. I’m still a bit stumped as to why Courtney’s rather ordinary looking Chinese food got her such praise. Was it the sheer quantity? Or did the other judges feel they needed to defer to Kylie’s judgement? Curious.

8 anon { 07.16.10 at 1:19 pm }

Jimmy to win. It’s all bout appeasing the Indian community.

9 CG { 07.16.10 at 1:56 pm }

anon: Re Jimmy, that thought has crossed my mind in recent weeks. Jimmy winning MC would do more for repairing Aus-India relations than any government initiative or gesture by Stephen Smith et al. And as I’ve said before, if Krudd had appeared on MC this year he’d still be in the Lodge, not in New York sniffing around the UN for a new job.

10 Aussiegal { 07.16.10 at 2:21 pm }

Jimmy winning could also cause a huge stir in the already weak Aus Ind relations so I doubt that would happen. I aldo feel that Alvin, Adam n Jimmy are there jus to make the top 6 an interesting mix. The real winners hidden in either Courtney, Claire or Callum with Claire taking the title. thats my two cents worth. There!

11 Anthony { 07.16.10 at 2:56 pm }

Last year, at least there was Julie, Justine, Julia and Poh, who I would have been happy if anyone of them one! This year is just BLEH! No Marion and Jonathan! ARGH! How boring will the finale be…

At this stage I’m backing Adam and Claire.

12 Paul { 07.16.10 at 3:05 pm }

Injera,
It appears Emily is back at school and does the occasional restaurant review. Good for her. She was fantastic.

Never saw Tommi. Didn’t even know she was here. Goddamit.

13 kingfisher { 07.16.10 at 3:17 pm }

how boring has this blog been were in the final week and we real have nothing to say. just goes to show how dull the final six is …… eh by the way who are the final six again ?

14 kingfisher { 07.16.10 at 3:30 pm }

wouldn’t it be sneaky if matt dropped a bomb and said we really didn’t eliminate marion and jono, we just wanted the other cooks to pull their bloody fingers out and think they can win now !!! but KABOOM marion and jono come back. just to see callums face GULP!!! and claire just to see if she will have a drink with at the house or hide in her room and jimmy now saying at least were in the final 8 . courtney telling george to f… off ! adam and alvin oh no !!!!” marion cooks better asian food than us ” i have to find a dead relative for a unique recipe, alvins last resort . now i would bloody enjoy this final week , yea baby yea !!!!!!

15 Reality Raver { 07.16.10 at 3:32 pm }

I am not game to say who would win, but on Twitter (source of all unreputable information) last night someone tweeted me that Callum gave away who won in a radio interview yesterday. Also another person tweeted and was emphatic the final would be filmed live.

So I have no idea. I still don’t Claire will win due to the editing she has received plus the private life media (whether it is true or not). But then I have been proved wrong a lot this season.

16 Reality Raver { 07.16.10 at 3:33 pm }

Also I should add love the Masterchef healing India/Australian relations theory. Oh and if Krudd gets a UN job in New York can he take me with him..

17 Paul { 07.16.10 at 3:35 pm }

LOL – No person deserves to work with K Rudd. New York or not New York.

As for the final. I was always under the impression that the final challenge was pre-recoreded but the decision itself was live.

18 Reality Raver { 07.16.10 at 3:35 pm }

Kingfisher – LMAO now that is something I would love to see

19 kingfisher { 07.16.10 at 3:43 pm }

rr , you have to think something sneaky is coming you just don’t dump 2 people who are up there with the best , sorry they are the best . whereas they bring back eliminated cooks who are nowhere near as good as these two are . think about it

20 MrSwinger { 07.16.10 at 5:58 pm }

I don’t know where the impression that Courtney is a “risk taker” comes from. Are seafood salads way harder than I realised? The only ambitious thing I’ve seen her make was the signature dish the other night.

21 Chunks { 07.16.10 at 7:06 pm }

Oh come now Mr Swinger, this is a woman who measures teaspoons and tablespoons full of ingredients by sight and experience. Risk-taker? She’s livin’ on the culinary edge!

22 pluck a duck { 07.16.10 at 11:19 pm }

RR – if Callum did supposedly say in a radio interview who won this charade, who did he name so at least we don’t have to sit bored stiff/be taken for mugs watching another 7 episodes?

RR – also, please be game and tell us as of today, who are you now OFFICIALLY tipping to win as the other day you seemed to be indirectly backing Claire, but in reply to a query of mine on another thread you seemed to have jumped horses and were now favouring Courtney (same letter of the alphabet)? Or were you just pulling your faithful blogees’ legs on these two?

Paul – where do I place my bet with you on Callum as you are giving generous odds? Callum’s had a de luxe, sheltered run and as GeelongDeano said on another of RR’s threads, all we’re talking about now is who the MC producers think of who’s left might suck us in to buying their amacha cookbook and GD thought that it might be this Gen Yer. Also, that seemingly very well informed CG, in another thread thought the MC producers have probably had focus groups out there sizing up Callum’s questionable cred for this. If the MC producers do have focus groups on the go, we’d have to hope those groups don’t get the question confused and end up tipping one of the remaining MC contestants to win the Federal election.

23 Reality Raver { 07.16.10 at 11:24 pm }

pluck a duck – you have got me, who I think is going to win changes hourly. I must confess I think I have been so wrong this season, and earlier I emphatically declared Claire cannot win. So on that logic she will win. Interestingly enough talking to a whole lot of women today (not a focus group) and they don’t like Claire. No warmth they said.

BTW I reckon if Courtney was PM she would not take any crap.

24 MrSwinger { 07.17.10 at 12:34 am }

Chunks – good point, haha, and I guess that she showed a reckless disregard for her own well-being by sassing George!

RR – I can just see Courtney as PM: “I’ve used money my whole life, Mr. Swan – I think I can do the federal budget without your help.”

25 pluck a duck { 07.18.10 at 7:53 pm }

Paul – as you seem to be a font of knowledge and everyone is saying the focus of the MC producers is which one of these amachas can suck us culture vultures in to buying the most cookbooks, how much is in it for the amacha that they ordain for this role?

Supposedly, Julie has flogged 110,000 of her books at say $40 a pop, which comes to a tidy $4.4 million gross. So what would be her cut of this?

Also, harking back to might be ordained, I guess the timing of the release of the book probably plays a part in the selection of the chosen one for this?

Going back to series 1, MC itself had its cookbook out for last Xmas so that we could all put one in someone else’s Xmas stocking. Off memory, Julie’s book was targeted at that next great “wet dream” for retailers, being Mothers’ Day, and also presumably because they had to get it out there before the MC series 2 juggernaut started, as we would have a new bunch of amachas to froth over.

On that basis, the question would seem to be whose cookbook will every Mum want for Mothers’ Day or rather will we be giving them because it’s all too hard to find something Mum really needs?

Also, off memory, Gary released his cookbook in time for Mothers’ Day just past and I wonder how many of his books walked off the shelves, although I suspect the amacha (Julie) may have beat the pants off Gary (the pro) on this one?

26 Paul { 07.20.10 at 10:13 am }

pluck a duck,
Julie’s book retailed for $25 and yes it has sold 110K copies. With a profit margin of at the very best being $5 per book (cookbooks are very expensive to produce) then we are looking at profits of $550K. About 50% goes to Julie so she comes away with around $250K. The rest is split between Random House and Masterchef, ie bugger all.

Julie’s cookbook came out post Xmas which didn’t make any sense at all to me as cookbooks sell well as you said at Xmas and around Mothers Day. My only guess is that the book wasn’t ready in time or that they thought there were a glut of books about at Xmas and Julie’s would get lost amongst them.

I wouldn’t listen to what everyone says about the primary focus of masterchef being cookbook sales. Its frankly ludicrous when you look at the cold hard numbers.