The X Factor – It Looks As Slick As Promised

Sheesh Channel 7 was there meant to be some sort of symbolism of having new host Luke Jacobz standing on a cliff in the opening sequence? Christ if Matt Newton was watching the show this is exactly where he would want to be knowing he had blown his big come back and that his entertainment career is officially in rigor mortis.

By the way the Bert and Patti interview on ACA I am still not sure why they did it, to try and gain some sympathy for him? Now The X Factor has started I think the Matt Newton saga will now fade into the background as there is more to talk about.

I really didn’t need the ten minute opening sequence of boats on the harbour and blurb about the judges, but after that I did enjoy the episode. Something I wasn’t expecting as I normally hate the audition episodes. And props for not having any mentally ill people for the judges to poke fun at. However they did break 60 year old Gail Matikainen heart after she butchered her song. However someone should hook her up with fellow auditioner  Hoe Ng 56 year old admin worker who is a ghost from Christmas karoke parties in my past.

At the moment it is the  Kyle Sandiland show with his quips that at times are rather amusing, with Natalie Imbruglia playing the pretty nice girl part very well. However isn’t she too young to be doing the botox thing? She had to move her eyes more because her forehead wasn’t moving. Guy Sebastian was also playing good cop, but if I were the contestant’s this would be the mentor I would actually want.

And Ronan Keating I am not sure what his role is –  a bit bad, but a bit nice. Maybe he is there to sex up the panel a bit.

Apparently the groups in the auditions have been ordinary, and  to prove that point they show It Takes Three who said they kept in touch after they left school, they looked so young I thought they meant primary school. They  sang out of tune acapella and were sent back to uni.

India-Rose Madderom who has signalled out as a favourite due to some Sunday paper loving yesterday, sang a Joss Stone song. She was good, but a bit out of breathe. You do wonder if she had not been gorgeous whether the judges would have been quite so gushy.

Sometimes you have got to let go of the dream and  Altiyan Childs who at 35 has been wanting to “make it” for quite sometime probably needs to. The wannabe rock star and forklift driver forgot the lyrics to This Sex Is On Fire, and did some crazy posturing moves. Michael Hutchene’s has a lot to answer for. However he is getting a second chance and we will see if he gets through tomorrow night.

On the plus side there was not a lot of Whitney, Mariah or Celine sung, but there was a lot of Lady Gaga. Finally a generational change.

Sarah Slim was one such person, who actually wants to be as famous as Lady Gaga. She was built her up as being someone to watch, but she turned out to be just another deluded soul. I think if she is wanting to get famous she should hope for a return of Big Brother and do something outrageous in the spa.

Daniela Gorelik who is a student also sang Gaga badly.

Amanda Grafanakis a 27 year old hospitality worker who for some reason reminded me of a brunette Fiona Horne finally bought a bit of cred to the show with a good rendition of Gaga. Her shoes were amazing like a stiletto trainers.

Bonnie-Rae Barnes who was 17 but looked 12 murdered Cyndi Lauper True Colours, Kyle said “you are like a drunk monkey driving a semi-trailer”. Is that the new way of saying she was a train wreck?

Harry Abu the gay guy from Brunei sang This Is The Moment. And wasn’t he perfect reality TV casting. Emotive story, boy next door sweetness, and could sing. Also he was prepared to come out on national TV. His parents hopefully aren’t online and know what You Tube is as they will now know there little boy won’t be bringing an Aussie girl home to meet them soon. But hey good on him.

Andrew Lawson an 18 year old from Brisbane was my personal favourite of the evening. He sang Sinatra but looked like a cool boy. If he gets through is going to be a hit with the girls. His only negative he had a Matt Newton look about him.

Nicole Kenaway an unemployed country girl who was being portrayed as a young Susan Boyle of the competition, currently lives in a shipping container. She sang Temporary Home by Carrie Underwood. Her voice was great and it will be interesting to see how she goes once a bit of spit and polish happens to her.

Trent Bell underwhelmed me with his rendition of Sex Is On Fire, but Kyle predictably thinks if they are good looking they should sing pop.

George Walter 19 student was OK the judges thought he was better than I did as Kyle called him “sexual chocolate”.

TJ Alijanz the 16 year old was a little cutie with an average voice he got through. I doubt he will still be there for the performance shows.

Another one of my faves was Rodrigo Alvarado from Chile who is a former cruise singer who sang Queen. He has kept a bit of that P&O Princess cheesiness with his spanglish singing accent and bolero moves. No surprise  he got through to boot camp.

The show continues to bounce back and forward around the auditions so if it is the pink dress for Natalie it must be Melbourne, but other then that the first episode set a good pace, with the lack of host not really noticeable. With four personalities already, we don’t really need one more.

1 bella vita { 08.31.10 at 12:08 am }

Boring episode. X Factor have the same producers and staff from Idol so very predictable first ep. Only diff is the bad and half decent ones do it LIVE ala AGT with the judges.
Too many sub standard acts, I am really bored by talent they are so obviously not gonna put through.
I do know who is getting the diff categories and there will be an obvious winner after this comes out which should make interesting viewing.
Amanda was a Top 30 a couple of years back if anyone remembers and I vaguely remember that guy with throat issues this week who has been a bit of press being on something over the years.
Loved Harry, what a great story (a refreshing one for a change, not your “i live in a shipping container”..what a crock that was!)
Will rate well.
Be interesting to see how much Shine end up spending on Dont Stop Believing later this year to compete with this.

2 Kaylen { 08.31.10 at 12:21 am }

The “I live in a shipping container” girl was actually in our local paper a month or so ago. Can’t remember what for, though. o.o

*full of useful facts* 😉

It was a good first episode… but I remembered why I never watched any of the audition episodes of Idol or shows like that. I end up hiding from all the crap singers. 😛

Was impressed with some of the singers – a few of them, never expected the voice that came out, so it was a pleasant surprise here and there.

I’m happy with it so far, and will continue watching. :)

3 yay { 08.31.10 at 2:47 am }

I was so excited for the show to begin! But YES it was abit of a let down. I mean.. They show too many of the crap auditions which just blows:( because we are watching to see a winner not a waste of time but hey.. it works for the ratings so be it..
I liked the Girl who sung Bad romance (the good singer not the crap singer lol) She really stood out vocally. My favorite though would have to be the Music Student George! He was amazing and it has been a long time since I have seen talent like that on tv:) I hope he makes it through:)
Cant wait to watch tommorrow!!!!

4 reality raver { 08.31.10 at 8:55 am }

Bella Vita – which guy with throat issues the forklift driver who was 35? Well he did want to be a rock star.

Kaylen – big fail, I thought shipping containers were meant to be trendy to live in. To be fair on her I think she is not well off. I did like her voice.

Yay – Four nights of auditions is going to test the most hardened fans.

5 Wurstsemmel { 08.31.10 at 10:50 am }

Off topic but I feel sorry for Patti and Bert Newton. This has obviously been a longstanding problem and, without knowing what Matthew’s actual diagnosis is, it’s hard to imagine what they may have been through. It can be very hard to get people to be adherent to medication, sometimes for the very reason cited for Matthew, that he feels that it might destroy his creativity. How true that is, we don’t know. It’s only what’s being put out there in the media. Certainly there is trend towards bipolar, almost to the extent that it’s kind of fashionable in celebrity circles to declare oneself bipolar, and the creativity associated is really blown up by some.

I commend Patti and Bert for talking about this. If only people would be more open about mental illness and the impact it has on not only the sufferer but those around them, maybe it might make it easier for people to seek help.

6 Sue { 08.31.10 at 11:45 am }

BORING!!! Australian Idol on the Australia’s Got Talent set with only one proper Aussie singer on the panel (Guy), one ex-pat who only came for the promotion as no-one knows her anymore (Natalie), one token international judge (Ronan) and Kyle, media slut and general tosser.

I won’t be watching again.

7 Reality Raver { 08.31.10 at 12:43 pm }

Wurstsemmel – some great points. I think they think they are being “creative” and having a flight of ideas, but my understanding and it is not extensive, that delusions of grandeur can occur with the mania phase. So maybe they are being creative or having ideas, but are they good ones?

Terribly difficult for any parent.

Sue – still reserving judgement on Nat, she reminds me of Danni on AGT

8 Wurstsemmel { 08.31.10 at 1:00 pm }

Can be associated with mania, RR. Are the ideas good? Often there’s a lot of risky behaviour…so no, but this goes to my point about celebrities claiming bipolar and how some claim BPD is responsible for their creativity. Misleading at best. In any case, there two forms of bipolar, one far more mild. For Matthew Newton, there has been no firm diagnosis revealed…last week, it was rumoured to be a case of drug induced psychotic episodes akin to schizophrenia…but who knows? A man in trouble, without doubt.

9 Suzanne { 08.31.10 at 1:02 pm }

Didn’t (and won’t) watch it, but just wondered when did Natalie Imbruglia turn into a Minogue?

10 yay { 09.01.10 at 3:38 pm }

Still watching and still Loving it!
The Reeonya girls last night had awesome talent i hope they make it far.:)

11 Ash { 10.18.10 at 10:36 pm }

You were wrong about Altiyan, if you’ve been watching his recent performances you’d know he really does have what it takes to make it!

12 Reality Raver { 10.18.10 at 10:44 pm }