OPEN POST: Masterchef Australia – Masterclass

Here is an open post for the regular masterclass episode with Gary back this week and Kylie Kwong looking like she is making some kick-arse eggplant dish.

I am now following one of the editors of Masterchef on twitter and he tweeted how difficult it was to remove nine seconds from the show, as there was so much good stuff. Suggestion? Remove nine seconds from the recaps.

Have a great long weekend everyone.

1 Reality Raver { 06.11.10 at 10:14 pm }

TDK – off topic but I nearly died of shock when I saw Woolies are selling KK donuts. Do you remember when KK fever hit Sydney with queues around the block to get a freaking donut.

SKT – couldn’t resist, I think there is a recipe in my Don Dunstan cook book

2 sourkraut { 06.11.10 at 10:15 pm }

Raver
Justine was the SKYE of ep 1. highly overrated and 1 dimensional (desserts only)

3 TDK { 06.11.10 at 10:16 pm }

RR: really? LOL.
I’m in Melb, and yes the KK fever hit us too when it first came out, lines like the great wall of china.

4 sourkraut { 06.11.10 at 10:23 pm }

Raver
if you cant find it in there you can borrow my Meg Fulton “cooking for Uber chefs”. But cmon admit it, I’ll bet you’ve had and enjoyed a fondue party at some time in your life and I’ll give you Paul’s odds on callum winning that you will never have a carnival dessert. I just pictured that in my mind in hot weather, all melting, just like Dali’s watches. MEH

5 rusty { 06.11.10 at 10:25 pm }

yes, sour, that’s the dessert fondue I made!

Ah, the good old ancient days, when all we had to live on, was a few left-over lumps of cheese or meat and one saucepan to share.

How did we ever manage without freeze-dried ground raspberry flakes and blast blenders?

6 Reality Raver { 06.11.10 at 10:30 pm }

Skt – only had choc fondue. Though am now tempted to have a fondue party. But would need pottery dishes to accompany it.

Rusty – too funny

7 sourkraut { 06.11.10 at 11:33 pm }

Rusty
in my day they were called ice chests, and yes we had a nice little white picket fence and a hills hoist in the back yard and prams with 1 meter diameter wheels and frocks and bobby socks but we were happy even though we were poor…. (had to live in shoe box middle of road and lick road clean wit tong etc) and you try telling the young folks of today that and they wont believe you
PS lumps of cheese…. we used to dream about having lumps of cheese … lumps of cheese… why we had to sniff titanium dioxide powder through a straw to turn ourselves on …. Titanium dioxide … why we had to roll our own cigarettes from dried out chlorophyll in Daily mirror paper (but not page 3) aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh Phooey!

8 sourkraut { 06.11.10 at 11:35 pm }

Raver
surely a trendy inner city garage sale would turn up a fondue set? I’d lend you mine but i just decided to go RETRO!

9 Injera { 06.12.10 at 12:02 am }

TDK – you’re in Melbourne??? Maybe we need to organise a viewing for RR readers when it starts getting down to the finals…

As for offal, I’m under 80 (and 50) and I don’t mind a bit of offal if it’s nicely prepared and doesn’t look to organ-y (okay, I’m a wimp). Don’t think I would have gone for rare kidneys, if that’s what you’re all referring to… didn’t watch the MC tonight but will try to watch the taped Purchese bit, as he’s a dessert wizard. In fact, am planning a Press Club visit just so I can try his Aphrodite dessert!

10 pollywaffle { 06.12.10 at 12:04 am }

That dessert guy could have saved 2 hours and just bought a couple of roll ups.

Press Club is getting a lot of press in this show – now the consultants, whats next, the loo cleaners coming in to do top 3 tips post degustation

11 pollywaffle { 06.12.10 at 12:15 am }

Geo really believes he has invented “pure green”

12 Injera { 06.12.10 at 12:19 am }

Perfect, Pollywaffle, particularly since I turned over from what looked to be a dull Masterclass to Blackadder! There is no way George has the appeal of Percy, though.

13 pollywaffle { 06.12.10 at 12:27 am }

Was dull, not enough excitement to interupt heating up last nights leftovers.
The cheese tutorial though nicely delivered by Will(power), was pretty damning about the knowledge of the top 10 in the cheese stakes.

RR, thanks, have me fixated on Claire’s ‘Virginia Woolf’ now, only just getting over The Others . She really does sound like shes about to walk into a body of water any moment, possibly why she never wears sleeves.

14 Injera { 06.12.10 at 12:30 am }

I adore Will Studd – his “Cheese Slices” is on ABC2 before Poh’s show which (shock, horror) is growing on me. Probably since in comparison to Julia and Josh’s attempt it is high-concept uber-charismatic.

15 pollywaffle { 06.12.10 at 12:44 am }

TDK There was a time when you could bargain with a juvenile thus:

clean bedroom + washed dog + backyard de-pooped = roughly commensurate with 1 pack of freshly baked KKs ( deluxe mixed pack, mind you)

Was really good for messing with their minds.

16 sourkraut { 06.12.10 at 1:04 am }

Pollw
I think its called soylent green……mmmmmmmmmmmmm soylent green

17 sourkraut { 06.12.10 at 1:07 am }

pollyw
one thing is for sure… she won’t walk ON water

18 Suzanne { 06.12.10 at 1:44 am }

Thanks all for your great comments (and commentary). Justine’s blog has nothing compared to this one RR.

19 Muru { 06.12.10 at 3:23 am }

Justine’s blog entries are most definitely screened for “quality”, i.e., she can’t be too critical of the contestants, producers, judges, or anything. Her blog has an agenda and that’s why it fails. I mean, just look at the number of comments she has received so far for her latest post – 7! And it was posted quite a while ago too.

20 Tracey { 06.12.10 at 12:36 pm }

I think the ‘star’ has faded for a lot of last years contestants. If they haven’t ‘made it’ yet, it is probably doubtful that they will. This years lot are moving through and into the publics consience.

21 sourkraut { 06.12.10 at 1:06 pm }

Justine’s blog…..who cares?
Tracey
At the end of the day only 2 maybe 3 just MIGHT be remembered out of this current very average crop of cooks. None of them have much more personality than a hypnotised brick and none have really demonstrated anything outstanding with the possible exception of Adam.

22 Tara { 06.12.10 at 1:56 pm }

Has Adam demonstrated any outstanding culinary ability aside from a good curry, a pizza version of Willy Wonka’s gobstoppers, and the ability to cook 3 fairly simple dishes better than Aaron? I mean, I like him and it’s entirely possible he’s been brilliant so far and his efforts have been edited out (also, I’m know I’m in the minority here but it was really impressive he cooked those three things without the aid of a recipe) but aside from the curry, he hasn’t had a history of wow-ing anyone so far.

23 librarygirl { 06.12.10 at 2:33 pm }

I thought the little toffee apples were great – the rest of the dessert : what a lot of faffing around. I wonder how much they charge for it in the restaurant? So labour intensive.
Those kidneys being sliced was positively Hannibal Lecterish.
Eew.

24 Fides { 06.12.10 at 3:45 pm }

I read in today’s newspaper that the producers are contemplating a live final to avoid spoilers being leaked. I’d love to see it, but can you really imagine watching those cooking challenges in real time? The show will end up being 6 + hours long…

25 sourkraut { 06.12.10 at 6:21 pm }

Tara
Aaron has only had one good day. When it came to cooking without the recipe he had no idea. To me at least that proves something

26 sourkraut { 06.12.10 at 6:22 pm }

Fides
I’d end up like a hypnotised brick less than half way through. BITE YER TUNG!

27 NT Kate { 06.12.10 at 7:46 pm }

Sourkraut – Hasn’t Aaron actually won three invention tests/right to challenge for immunity? His inability to cook without a recipe on some standardish dishes does suggest a lack of food knowledge he should have swotted up (though let’s face it, most of us would run and recheck the recipe for these dishes even if we had a general idea of what to do), but he clearly does have the capacity to innovate and wow the judges (despite George’s dislike of him!).

28 sourkraut { 06.13.10 at 5:17 pm }

N T K
Probably right re the invention tests. OK point conceded! I still think the test without the recipe shows the true abilities of a chef and I found that night’s contest more interesting than many of the others.
I also agree most of us would need to run to the recipe my humble self included, but that is not the point, neither you nor I are vying for the title of best chef in the universe.