Masterchef Australia – Adriano Zumbo Is A Sadist
If there is such a thing as a nice sadist then Adriano Zumbo is one of them. Or is he just a good looking version of Dr Evil? Once he realises he is on Masterchef Australia for a pressure test, in the final’s week, does he just dream up the hardest combinations that are going to send the contestant’s completely over the edge. I thought at one stage we were going to see Claire curled up in the foetal position when she was in difficulty with tempering her chocolate.
I know we whinge about the show being rigged or not rigged, or whether it is a game show or a cooking show, or whether the best cook should win. But with Alvin being eliminated it means there is only one personality left in the house and that is Adam. The rest are all pretty charisma free.
Tonight the remaining six contestants had to recreate Zumbo’s V8 cake, which was an eight layer vanilla cake. Apparently he made it for Margaret Fulton’s 85th birthday celebrations.
By the way I liked Zumbo on the panel and on the kitchen floor I thought he was relaxed and straight forward, however I wish he had not been quite so helpful, as Jimmy would have chucked out half his brulee layer. It was a killer challenge with four hours of prep and cooking and some of them still did not complete all the elements.
Highlights from the kitchen:
- Jimmy accidentally pinching Adam’s macaroon layer, but it would have been more hilarious if it had been Callum considering he used the wrong lobster last night.
- Alvin’s assembling of the dish, his water gel layer was not set and his dacquious broke, he was having a shocker, but props for keeping his sense of humour;
- Jimmy using the wrong cake tin and piping the cream down the sides of the cake. Jimmy will never get a sponsorship of handee wipes as he work station is such a mess.
- Zumbo telling Callum he had flipped his cake the wrong way, hopefully Callum when gets his engineering degree this won’t happen on his work sites.
- Courtney’s cake looking fabulous until she decided to pick it up with her hands, the normally together Courtney was in tears.
- Adam getting some great editing and a lot of air time, but then he and Alvin are the only two left that spark up on camera.
Adam was first to serve and Zumbo said “I wouldn’t be disappointed if someone served it to me”. However Adam forgot the ganache.
Alvin’s cake looked a bit more ragged and was criticised for having “no definition between the layers” by Gary Mehigan.
Interesting to know that like the rest of Australia the judges also think Jimmy is a one dimensional cook. I think Gary was so shocked that he actually plated up something half decent that I think he judged him from a lower base then the others.
However Matt Preston concurred and said “Flavours are all there”.
Callum’s cake was seeping due to the water jelly being at the bottom, and Gary thought it was more like fudge cake.
Claire’s cake did not have chocolate, also the ganache is missing, but the layers looked snappy. Zumbo said what she did have was spot on.
Courtney’s car crash cake looked good at one end and was wonky the other side. Gary did not think the flavour hit the mark.
I found it ironic that two of the bottom three, Alvin and Courtney, had had the supposed advantage of the recipe the night before. And Callum was the first one to be made safe. Gary said “You survived because you had all the elements on the plate”. He then gave him an Obi Wan Kenobi mantra by saying “Be on your guard”.
Unfortunately Alvin was eliminated, and after he finishes romping on his king sized bed (well he has been filming for 8 months) he might open an asian tapas bar, but in the meantime he has just launched his food website Cinnamon Pig.
The winner was Jimmy who Matt reckons is hitting his stride at this point of the competition. And he will continue his advantage by getting to pick the ingredients to be used in tomorrow night’s challenge, and you guessed it is going to be spicy.