Fremantle Australia Now Dabbling in Semi-Scripted Reality TV – What About A Real Housewives Series?

A Sydney Version Of This Show Would Be A Hit

A Sydney Version Of This Show Would Be A Hit

There are a few genres of reality TV like talent based, observational, and the semi scripted variety. Fremantle Media Australia has dabbled in most of them, but I think from memory (and I could be wrong) that this is the first time they had dabbled in semi-scripted or otherwise known as docu-soaps reality TV shows.

Ros Reines in her gossip column in the Sunday Telegraph states that Fremantle Media is currently casting for a show called The East – a reality series loosely based on the very popular show The Hills. The East was in the final stages of pre-production and was being sold at the Cannes television festival.

Paola Cracknell a production assistant to Kyle and Jackie O is on the short list for a role on the show. Jackie has given her seal of approval to Paola.

“Paola is gorgeous, in her early 20s and super sweet, but she has a feisty side to her,” said Jackie O.

Other names in the mix are student Ruby Jacenko, famous for socking her PR-queen sister, Roxy, at an event last year.

Also Reines writes another reality series based on Sydney’s eastern suburbs called Summer City is in advanced planning. It is based on eight friends in Sydney’s eastern suburbs. April Rose Pengilly, Corbin Harris and Nadia Fairfax are being considered.

What Sydney really needs is their own Real Housewives series like the very popular Real Housewives of NYC, based on the lives of six New York ‘socialites’. The Sydney cast could include Skye Leckie wife of David Leckie as Australia’s version of Ramona. Gail Elliott, could take on the Kelly Bensimon role, Charlotte Dawson would be perfect in the Bethenny role, and Kirsten Carrioll would be the equivalent of the countess as she is married to a French man, as well as using it as platform to promote her lanolips range. For the Jill Zarin role I would suggest Ben Tilley’s wife Tiffany which would also create some tension with Skye Leckie just like the Real Housewives of NYC show.

Now for ‘social climbers’ Alex and Simon’s role who live in Brooklyn, I am sure there would hundred’s of D listers volunteering for the role, but one that springs to mind is Bessie Bardot and her husband Geoff Barker.

1 CG { 10.11.09 at 11:18 pm }

What would make the best “Housewives” city in Australia: Sydney, Melbourne or ?? I think Sydney could be interesting (and it is the city I know the best). You could have a mix of Eastern Suburbs and North Shore Old-Money matrons named Dimity and Bronwyn, noveau riche Mosman moms, and Sutherland Shire footie WAGs… It would be so tacky…but it would be hilarious.

2 Reality Raver { 10.11.09 at 11:26 pm }

Oh yes, I forgot about the footy wags they would definitely add value to the show.

3 CG { 10.11.09 at 11:34 pm }

RR: I hadn’t read your full post when I posted…premature posting? I’m not sure the gals you named would do a series…well except the D-listers… the women in the NY Housewives show were not that well known before the series launched. Then again, there is a much larger pool to choose from in NY.

One vile creature I can think of for Bethenny’s role (or Alex’s role) is Amber Petty of Princess Mary wedding fame. Speaking of Princess Mary, she would be a great LuAnn…Mary Donaldson was even more trashy than LuAnne before she met the strange litte prince Fred from one of the smallest countries in Europe…how? by rubbing his chest while drunk in a pub called The Slip Inn. Classic.

BTW, what value is a “seal of approval from Jackie O”…more like kiss of death isn’t it?

4 Reality Raver { 10.13.09 at 12:23 am }

CG – was that how Mary picked up Fred amazing story. Yes and Amber Petty would be great in that role. Talk about someone who has made herself famous by being a bridesmaid. I wonder if she has it on her CV.

5 Fiona Mc { 10.18.09 at 11:09 am }

Reality Raver I can’t believe you don’t know the Slip Inn story! It’s all on the record in the mainstream press. The Danish Royal Family tried to cover it up, but the Australian couldn’t resist running an article featuring Mary wearing a gold rubber halterneck and doing cheesecake “Come hither” poses. Frederik clearly was in no “mood” to resist! Then, of course, there was the issue of Mary’s scary relatives. One of the wedding attendees was a cousin-in-law, Brendan Johncock, facing statutory child rape charges back in Tassie. Later convicted. Again, it’s on the record.

6 Reality Raver { 10.18.09 at 11:34 am }

Fiona Mc – I knew she met him at the Slip Inn however I did not know about the come hither poses. At least Mary got a Prince, as her best friend Amber has had some interesting choices in men.

I find it interesting that Amber has found a certain amount of fame from being a bridesmaid. I don’t live in Adelaide so I don’t know what she is like on radio, she has been there awhile so I suppose she must be attracting the listeners.

7 bb { 10.18.09 at 10:06 pm }

Evidently, Bethenny Frankel became engaged to boyfriend Jason Hoppy last week.

8 Reality Raver { 10.18.09 at 11:30 pm }

BB – it is good that she managed to seal the deal so to speak. She deserves a bit of happiness on the relationship front.

9 chris { 10.21.09 at 6:51 pm }

so i was wondering how does one get the chance to be able to audition for tv shows like this, i think a version of the hills in aus would be GREAT!!!! and i would love to be able to get the chance to be able to be on a show like that

10 chris { 10.21.09 at 6:52 pm }

any help regarding this would be GREAT

11 Reality Raver { 10.21.09 at 7:58 pm }

Chris – Contact Fremantle Australia in Sydney, just google them and you will find their website, the contact details should be on there if not try the white pages.

12 sourkraut { 10.24.09 at 1:27 pm }

YOU HAVE ALL GOT TO BE JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13 Real Footy Chicks Of Sydney – Who Would You Cast? | reality ravings { 11.23.10 at 2:03 pm }

[…] wrote a blog post on who should be cast if there was ever a Real Housewives of Sydney show […]

14 Real Housewives Franchise To Come To Sydney? | reality ravings { 01.06.12 at 12:30 am }

[…] A Real Housewives is definitely on my new years wish list, however I am not holding my breath at this stage. These rumours have been circulating for years. What happened to The East? […]