Masterchef Australia – Marion To Be The Biggest Winner Yet From The Show?

Marion Grasby looks like she did not need to win Masterchef Australia to ensure she will be the big winner from both seasons of this show. She is set to make wads of cash in post masterchef deals.

In an article in the Sunday Telegraph it states:

• Marion will be releasing a range of cooking sauces, including a satay sauce, for Coles, and yes her face will be on the label;
  • She will be a columnist for Masterchef Magazine;
  • And she has been approached to write a series of cookbooks.

Her agent Lisa Sullivan has also said they have had many inquires from publishing deals to appearances for Marion.

Adriano Zumbo als backs her in saying “For me, she was the only one there who had that natural talent. She’s just got that vibe about her.”

In other Masterchef contestant’s who want to release a sauce range news, apparently Aaron Harvie wants to do a mexican and italian range.

The article in the Sunday Telegraph Aaron Harvie states as well as the sauce range he also plans to write a cookbook.

I am not sure I would be that keen to buy his cookbook, as he has about a one in four strike rate of making a good dish.

The article also state:

“Nothing [is signed] as yet, but who know. I will never leave music… but food is my other passion, so I’m sure I’lll be able to combine the two.”

The writer also says Aaron is the favourite to take out the series. That I don’t believe.

Anyway hands up Masterchef contestant’s who don’t plan on launching a sauce range?

1 CG { 07.12.10 at 12:46 am }

Interesting that Matt P, George and Gary are not listed as clients of Forum5 (which I can now confirm was founded and is owned outright by Fremantle)? Wonder why Pete Evans is client but not the MC judges? I suppose they are “owned” and “managed” by Ch10..or others? … perhaps one of the reasons for the contractual disputes and tensions between the threesome?

RR: you should try and interview Sarah Wilson about all these developments: she must have some insight and have something to say (unless they paid her off and put her under a nondisclosure agreement)?

2 Reality Raver { 07.12.10 at 12:51 am }

CG – I had not realised the agency was owned by Fremantle. So that means they get a 20% cut up front, then a percentage of whatever profits there are. I doubt Sarah Wilson would speak on the record.

3 CG { 07.12.10 at 1:00 am }

RR: not much left for the contestants after all this double dipping, is there? Although they have done a pretty piss-poor job of managing Justine and ChrisB’s post-MC careers.

4 crabtech { 07.12.10 at 2:11 am }

Accoding to Perth now Marion ‘She filmed the elimination episode three weeks ago, but had been keeping it secret.” How many times have they stopped filming? http://www.perthnow.com.au/entertainment/perth-confidential/masterchefs-marion-grasby-may-get-her-own-show/story-e6frg30l-1225890178345

5 hine { 07.12.10 at 2:19 am }

Yeah thats the same article RR referred to(from the Sunday Telegraph). Think they stopped filing a couple of weeks ago and are waiting to do the final now?

6 crabtech { 07.12.10 at 2:31 am }

If they stopped and then started (no other way Marion’s elimination could have happened 3 weeks ago) that explains why Claire is much more cheerful.
Also theymust have stopped again if they want the final week to be live.

7 hine { 07.12.10 at 3:01 am }

I don’t understand what you are trying to say-hopefully there is someone out there who knows more than me but I thought than stopped filming maybe around 2 weeks ago(?) and the final lot are hanging round waiting for the final?

8 hine { 07.12.10 at 3:12 am }

crabtech:maybe check out the spoiler thread, there appears to be posters there who kno the timeline? or RR may tell us in the morning :)

9 Culinary Boner { 07.12.10 at 11:51 am }

As b-dead dave and others have already said the readymade sauce market is saturated with product in Australia. Whilst I appreciated Marion’s ability in the kitchen, this sauce business concept is bound to fizzle out within a year. That is, even presuming it kicks off beyond the single-purchase novelty factor.

Surveying the shelves at the DJ’s foodhall yesterday, I checked out the hi-end sauces – Chris Manfield etc – selling at about $12-14 a pop. Presumably Marion’s won’t be in this price range. However, the problem is that if you go too low-end, the quality declines seriously. A good Thai-based sauce needs to have all the key elements – shrimp paste, galangal, fish sauce, kaffir leaf, palm sugar, lemongrass etc – not just sugar, powdered lemongrass and coriander root/leaf drowned in canola oil like the really poor commercial varieties.

Given Marion’s range will be pitched as a mass-market product, I can’t see them getting the balance between price and quality right. Nor can I see them seriously taking out the established ‘mainstream’ Asian brands like Ayams, Changs etc…

Are Coles thinking that Marion’s name will be to Asian-style sauces what Paul Newman’s name was to pasta sauces? Come mid-next year it will be a case of Marion? who? That is, unless she gets into the Max Markson mode of PR. Now which lad’s mag do you think she should do a bikini shoot for?

10 Culinary Boner { 07.12.10 at 1:51 pm }

“Online forums have also suggested Harvie, 37, has been negotiating to host a new TV program, called Rock ‘n’ Roll Chef.”

Didn’t Isaac Hayes already do this?
Will Aaron be serving Chef’s Big Black Salty Balls?

11 brain dead dave { 07.12.10 at 3:23 pm }

Cue theme from “Shaft” for Aaron’s show.

12 MelbaToast { 07.12.10 at 4:22 pm }

How funny that Marion will be given a column in the Masterchef Magazine when Sharee, whose dream it is to write a food column, has been left to her own devices. That said I’d be bored to tears reading anything Sharnee has to say – and it seems that the editors of the mag think the same!

13 crabtech { 07.12.10 at 10:02 pm }

Hine
What I meant was that when they started showing MC the actual episodes had been filmed months before.
The Melbourne episode was filmed end of February but shown end of May. So they must have stopped and then started again and then stopped again maybe 2 weeks ago in order to have a live final week.

14 SydneyGirl { 07.13.10 at 3:15 pm }

What was said about Aaron taking out the title, I thoroughly don’t believe. He is inconsistent, arrogant and mean-spirited. My money is on Claire or Adam.

15 collywobbles { 11.26.10 at 10:40 am }

yeah ok i have just watched Marian being eliminated!!!!!!
come on this has to be a fix she was the only one who could cook, i mean callum burnt the flipping custard. we are behind in the uk so dont know much about all the stuff that eveverybody seems to be screaching about (deals with coles/MC etc) im visiting OZ soon and i will certainly give Marions sauce a go.

16 Reality Raver { 11.26.10 at 9:33 pm }

Collywobbles – the sauces are not released yet, but hopefully by the time you are here it will be.