OPEN Post: Masterchef Australia – Masterclass

Well tonight the episode will seem positively placid compared to the “excitement” last night. Well until the 24 minute when after Jonathan won the nut challenge, and since we had seen Aaron in the promo for Sunday night this meant Marion was gone…..
Anyway there was a media frenzy today here are some of the links to interviews with and about Marion Grasby’s elimination:
  • Here is one with Who Mag there are stunning pictures of Claire, Courtney and Marion;
  • The Daily Telegraph article has quotes from Gary Mehigan saying Marion had to go because of the integrity of the show, as hers were the worse satay sauce, and Aaron also talks about how he felt.
  • Article here about how the elimination of Marion was a masterstroke for the show;
  • Adelaide Now says that the elimination of Marion will lead to a drop in ratings.
  • Here is her live blog today on the Daily Telegraph.

I don’t think her elimination will decrease the ratings, by Sunday everyone will have gotten over it.

1 Sourkraut { 07.09.10 at 8:36 pm }

Boring uzbkistan cuisine again
Let the pretentious enjoy it
wake me up when they get to the tapas

2 Pinto { 07.09.10 at 8:51 pm }

Just throwing this in the mix so can get the comments emailed to me. Now, off to watch the ep. Maybe if we are attentive in the ad breaks we’ll find out who wins this bloody thing and my husband can have the remote control back.

3 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 9:00 pm }

12-15 minutes to cook the pheasant, Gary is under the pump tonight – how will he fill in the other 3 hours

4 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 9:01 pm }

Everyone has the glums……. they are missing Marion but egg soldiering on

5 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 9:03 pm }

The salsify – goats beard?, nah Geo, its your Mums azaleas

6 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 9:05 pm }

anyone used it before – the salsify- …oh yeah My Mum whips up a terrific salsify and 3 veg

7 CG { 07.09.10 at 9:07 pm }

Marion reminds me of Natalie Portman – with some meat on her bones – in some of these glamour shots.

Claire is really turning on the sexy – not just in this photo shoot but on tonight’s show. I reckon she is the kind of woman that thrives in a near-all-male environment and will manipulate the situation to her advantage in these final few weeks. Watch out!

8 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 9:08 pm }

Guess the black garlic is a good concealer of the rat droppings in the kitchen

9 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 9:09 pm }

‘on the paper towel’? Not a handee towel – is this a Matt P exclusive endorsement, no wonder G is peeved with him

10 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 9:10 pm }

R they going to do previews of Rock no Roll cook in the ad breaks

11 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 9:11 pm }

This show feels like a wake

12 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 9:13 pm }

” we dont want it thick and gluggy’ again George…… you have got a clag issue my man

13 Anon { 07.09.10 at 9:18 pm }

Pollywaffle-agree. Tonight’s episode is rather subdue

CG-whoever styled the Who photoshoot did a better job than the AWW one.

14 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 9:24 pm }

Garlic Prawns, that’s unbelievable, who would have thought about the combinations and textures

15 brain dead dave { 07.09.10 at 9:32 pm }

Wakes are a hoot compared to this. Paint drying never looked so exciting…

16 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 9:36 pm }

its not only dull but the FQ is dropping – have I accidentally entered the twitchlight zone 2011 and switched to Callums cooking show – Australias best Cooking and Cock ups

17 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 9:38 pm }

This Chorizo dish will be ready when the TDF is finished

18 kingfisher { 07.09.10 at 9:49 pm }

did anyone stop and think hey! maybe aaron made the better satay as it was a given for marion ,asian cooking is her background this was a shoo in for her but maybe she was found out. she had been struggling since england/paris special . aaron was up against it but he gave it his best shot and won with the better sauce . lets move on and watch every amateur cook have a red hot go now , this is the best thing for the show now as alvin said “marion was our saurus “everyone had to have marion on there team and now we will see who emerges from the pack. GAME ON!!!!!!!!!

19 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 9:49 pm }

Callum IS Tapas….off to sleep now……….

20 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 9:50 pm }

Oh Chocolate, Im awake

21 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 9:52 pm }

Gary’s got a plane to catch, he’s over it…..might have been the one trying to save the Mar

22 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 9:54 pm }

Jimmy Choo-colate… is currying favour….can I take the bowl back….arh arh

23 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 9:58 pm }

Oh God, Aaron is super student now – he’s taking notes instead of faking it and playing tic tac toe

24 seepi { 07.09.10 at 10:03 pm }

Claire was wearing a pink shirt – didnt’ she get the memo – pink is for the guys this time around. Nice to see her in a colour for once though.

I like parsnips, so I might have tried salsify, but once it had to be boiled in flour and water (glue??) with a paper hat on top they lost me. all that, and then frozen peas are fine??? (I actually like frozen peas, but if the salsify gets the royal treatment, why not the peas?)

I did like George with his goat’s whiskers on. And Aaron trying not to lose it laughing. they must be very close to the edge after all this tension. And it must be so uncomfortable sitting on those hard benches for hours watching G and G cook.

Black garlic = looked suspiciously like Kangaroo poo to me.

25 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 10:05 pm }

Courtney- she showed us 4 great dishes that were a matter of minutes to cook but took her 4 hours to show us them

26 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 10:06 pm }

is Claire getting covet thy neighbours husband

27 Reality Raver { 07.09.10 at 10:08 pm }

Pinto – LOL I have lost the remote tonight. I graciously hand it over on a Friday night….

Pollywaffle – hilarious particularly the black garlic comment

Kingfisher – I think people will stop mooching for Marion by Monday. But God help him if Aaron cooks like crap again on Sunday.

CG and Anon – Beautiful shots they all look so ethereal

You would think they would all be happy that Marion has gone.

28 seepi { 07.09.10 at 10:09 pm }

Aaron has always been the only one to ask questions in the masterclasses.
I don’t think they really encourage questions tho.

I think Aaron’s cooking is all about putting on impressive dinner parties to iimpress his festy muso mates. The wierder the ingredients the better.

29 Reality Raver { 07.09.10 at 10:10 pm }

Seepi – the parsnip dish sounds like a waste of good parsnips. By the way why is that vegetable so darn expensive? Are they hard to grow?

30 seepi { 07.09.10 at 10:25 pm }

I love parnsips too. I think they cost the earth because they are old fashioned, and not many people want them. but we should keep buying these traditional veg, otherwise they will die out, and we will all be living on blandness like iceberg lettuce and granny smith apples.

If Aaron has lost 13kg, then how tight were his jeans before??

And how was he able to do an interview from within the house – have the others done that?

31 brain dead dave { 07.09.10 at 11:49 pm }

The (phone)interview with Aaron was broadcast at about 3.oopm CST on 5AA in Adelaide today. Amanda Blair was the interviewer. I don’t know if other MC contestants have done so but a big deal has been made of last night because Marion lives here and Aaron has been portrayed as the malevolent force that blew her to the shizenhausen.

32 brain dead dave { 07.10.10 at 12:00 am }

There were purple carrots on Ready,Steady,Cook the other day. To me they looked a lot like parsnips. According to the show ,carrots were originally purple and as time went by the Dutch produced the changes in colour.

33 Pollywaffle { 07.10.10 at 2:15 pm }

RR , would love to be wrapped for Geo’s Angnolottis in the pic given they’re all looking fine,fresh and fierce but something deep in my olive pip is sending out a NQR…..unless Catherine Emmanuel is sponsoring a new range of beginner chef gear

34 Pollywaffle { 07.10.10 at 2:19 pm }

Dont know what possessed me, possibly the Minogue calfing, but the thought crossed my mind today about what Geo is going to call his babies….

Girl? Its a dead heat between Salsify and Kalamata
Boy, more choice here – Chlorophil, Wal(come), or Red(uction)

35 Pollywaffle { 07.10.10 at 2:26 pm }

went through McDonalds drive through today, ordered a Big Geo:

PW: G’day, Can I have…..2 air-dried wagyu beef medallions, microlettuce, persian goats cheese, olives ( organic thanks) , black garlic on a fennel seed bun

Speaker -Pomme Frites with that?

No but a salsify basket weave would be great

36 Pollywaffle { 07.10.10 at 2:37 pm }

Great news that Anna Gare has signed on for MC junior – she can cook, knows her ingredients, can handle herself in the presence of a Y chromosome or 3

37 Pollywaffle { 07.10.10 at 2:47 pm }

Seepi – you must try, if you havent, parsnip cake – ( inc. lots of orange rind , cinammon too, then cream cheese icing), TDF

38 CG { 07.10.10 at 3:16 pm }

Polly, the Minogue calfing..LOL. As for George’s babies (do you really think he will find a willing womb?)…but if he does get there..what about the unisex “Foam” .. or to make it a little more interesting “Phoam”?

39 Pollywaffle { 07.10.10 at 3:29 pm }

Yep Phoam will do it, then Geo can boast accordingly….

Phoam’s all over it and Im excited

40 Fides { 07.10.10 at 3:47 pm }

What is it with salsify? It sounds like a verb, not a vegetable. It’s the featured ingredient in Steve Manfredi’s weekly section in today’s SMH. Didn’t check out the recipes but he didn’t mention cooking it in “blonk”.

Speaking of masterclass, Jimmy was annoying me something fierce last night. He made some reference, after helping Gary with the fondant, to ” my second dessert”. Now I may be taking it out of context, and I don’t really care, but I have interpreted that to mean Jimmy has now only ever cooked two desserts in his life. Which is disgraceful! He may have meant something quite different, but I shall believe what I want and say the anger which poor ole Aaron is copping about knocking out Marion by not forfeiting the satay challenge should go to Jimmy. But having said that, maybe some others have only ever made one dessert in their life (which would have been that fruity Mod-Oz invention test).

Also, why did Jimmy try to knock Adam off his seat in his rush to get to the tasting bench? I think he had to go and apologise afterwards for dislocating Adam’s shoulder because it didn’t look good. And poor Adam – he’s got survivor guilt big time ; he looked so flat and sad last night, even looked like his eyes were all puffy from crying. I hope he didn’t cry himself to sleep after Marion’s elimination, that would be taking it a bit too far. It’s just a competition Adam – she’s not dead.

And I love how MC has the power of time control. In the 8 minutes Gary had the fondants in the oven, the little one could make his milkshake, cool it in the fridge for one hour and froth it up again. That’s incredible – wish I had those powers.

Well next week’s episodes sound quite exciting. Just read the previews for the week in the TV guide and it looks like a worthwhile week in the lead up to the finals. Yay!

41 seepi { 07.10.10 at 4:25 pm }

Wow – I had no idea parsnip cake existed. I’ve found pages of recipes.
This will be great. I usually only buy parsnips once they have reached the bargain bin, so always end up with heaps of them at once.

The cake had better be easy though. I made macaroons this morning. I thought it would be easy and fun cooking for kids. No such luck. Mixture did not stick together properly. Kids could not form them into balls, kids demolished them by trying to press down gently with a fork. Kitchen and kids now liberallly coated in dessicated coconut.

Still – we got one small tray of macaroons. Which are quite nice actually.
but never again.

42 Sourkraut { 07.10.10 at 6:10 pm }

You B’s didn’t wake me up.
Had to watch the mobile gorillas instead

43 Sourkraut { 07.10.10 at 6:11 pm }

so Paul
That make 1,999,999 on last nights ratings

44 Sourkraut { 07.10.10 at 7:22 pm }

PLANET FOOD
on the ABC right now is incredibly interesting and the reindeer steaks look yummo. Making me hungry.
I’m off to get SHOCK HORROR …a pizza
Pity MC cant do some other cwizzines rather than pretentious CRAP all the time

45 eye-can-cook { 07.11.10 at 3:59 am }

sourkrout – I watched Planet Food tonight too and sorry wasn’t overly impressed anything that involved boiled salted water and reindeer blood does not get me salivating.but then neither does pizza either.The danish pastries looked ok though.

46 Sourkraut { 07.11.10 at 6:02 pm }

Eye can cook
So can I (A BIT)
I did not say the blood was great. Actually in China recently I ate chicken blood not knowing what it was and that was ok, but not necessarily orgasmic.I said the reindeer steaks looked yum and that the SHOW was interesting. I stand by that. Pity MC cant do some dishes other than French all the time. Danish would be nice.
Even getting sick of seeing French cooking on TDF, which I watch more for seeing the beautiful countryside. (I’m usually asleep b4 the last 200metre dash)