Masterchef Australia – Team Challenge -Another person leaves
Ok before we get into a lather over Matt Preston’s comment “If you delay it long enough they will love anything” lets talk about the selection of the teams for tonight’s challenge.
It was extremely interesting to see who was being picked first, and who was left until last.
Alvin was automatically made a captain of the red team because he won the challenge this week, and he was told to pick the blue teams captain. He picked Johnathan, and when asked for the reason for that, he was not diplomatic and said “I don’t want him on my team”. And then revealed to camera he was not Mr Popularity in the house.
I was surprised that Alvin picked Adele first, but he said because it was an italian challenge. Johnathan confirmed my theory that young Callum can cook by picking him first.
Also interesting that Jimmy was not picked early and was left until at least half had been selected. However the humiliation of being left until last had to occur to some of them. Clearly neither captains rate Dominic, Kate or Fiona as cooks. Now we know about Kate’s culinary taste, but I had thought Dominic and Fiona were ok.
Twenty-Four year old Fiona was a bit teary when she was the last person standing, and she had expected to get picked earlier as she was mates with Johnathan in the house. I doubt they are anymore.
The challenge was each team was to take over a restaurant for a night in Leichhardt (Sydney’s Little Italy) and the team that made the most money in the 2 1/2 hour of service won lunch at Luke Mangan’s restaurant Glass.
The red team decided to go for a simple pizza and pasta menu, Adele was appointed as head chef, and Jimmy was appointed front of house. The Blue team went for a much more upmarket menu which was more technically difficult, hence slower to prep. Johnathan was head chef, and Dominic was head of front of house. The rationale that Dominic was a bit of a sales person.
The challenge had some positives and negatives,here are some thoughts on the red teams performance:
- Adele who has appeared flakey and emotional in previous episodes was excellent in taking the lead in the kitchen, and produced some really good food;
- Alvin needed to be a bit more of a control freak in the kitchen and front of house;
- Jimmy was very flakey as front of house, major stuff up with a mis-print of the menu, with the sides dishes being printed in the pizza section, hence a rocket and parmasen pizza was born, this ended up being a positive thing.
- The other issue were prawns not listed as being an ingredient in the fettucini dish which was serious but the judges WERE beating it up a bit. The prawns were pretty easy to spot if you were allergic to them.
- Kate was very good front of house, maybe that is where her talents lie.
The blue team was also having their ups and downs:
- Sarah the police officer was not writing the dockets properly. After being told about it, and she cracked up and left the floor. “And I feel like I let the team down,” she said. So she walked off the floor. I am not sure she got the irony of that.
- I thought Dominic rocked at front of house he was assertive and was in control even when things were getting hairy;
- Johnathan was having trouble with the dockets, as they were pouring through all at once. Also why weren’t the zuchhini flowers already stuffed.
To be fair on both teams few restaurants are full as soon as the doors are open. And my things are so different from last year, as the teams in season one in the sushi train challenge had to go out and market to get people to come in. Here a blackboard on street and word of mouth and it was full house.
Skye appeared to perform well also.
I think the people in the blue kitchen need to watch Hell’s Kitchen to be shown how to cook more then one dish at a time. However the food coming out of both kitchens looked great, even though it appeared to take a long time.
The judges liked the pasta dish with prawns of Adele’s ”the pasta is king – an ideal dish” said Matt Preston. They also liked the pizza as well.
They thought the pasta of the blue team was good, but Matt Preston thought the zucchini flower was better.
Back at the Masterchef studio where they were waiting to find out the results, Claire started bawling saying she let them down, to think we thought she was a bit cool.
Sharnee dissed Dominic’s effort of running front of house, and Sarah left to go back home to her young family.
This is the third person to have left the show of their own volition since it started. Meaning people who really wanted to be on the show are missing out. Also I think the women with families did not realise what a time commitment it is away.
The show is not filmed in real time. The first episode of the top 50 took three days to shoot. They obviously still need to eliminate someone otherwise they would not have had an episode for tomorrow night.
The Blue team made $1253 and the red team over $1400.
The judges by putting Johnathan up for the elimination challenge are indicating that if it is a team challenge and you lose some responsibility must fall on the captain, and Devon is also up for elimination for letting people in early. A bit unfair but really there was no one else to take the fall, Sarah had already gone.
Anyway back to Matt’s “If you delay it long enough they will love anything” comment, it would have sound hotter coming from Gary Mehigan’s mouth.