Gossip Mags Competing Over Claire Winton Burn’s Love Life

Well it seems every weekly gossip magazine has been chasing the story of Claire Winton Burn’s love life. Last week the Sunday Telegraph broke the story that Claire’s partner had left his wife and three children to be with her. (See previous blog post)

The Masterchef Australia contestant love life is now being discussed in Woman’s Day, New Idea and TV Week. But I still don’t know where the truth lies. TV Week is saying there are three kids, whilst New Idea is saying there is only one.

The New Idea article is running with a “legal industry source”.

The article states:

Friends of Masterchef contestant Claire Winton Burn have come to her defence amid allegations that she stole her boyfriend Trevor Thomas from his wife Narelle just months after she gave birth.

Those close to the 31 year old rallied around her last week, insisting the Melbourne construction and major projects lawyer is not a home wrecker.

“There is always two sides to every story,” one legal industry souce tells New Idea.

“Everyone was sad their marriage didn’t work out but it’s not always that simple. Claire and Trevor are very much in love.”

The former work colleagues at Clayton Utz law firm began dating after Trevor, 36, separated from his wife Narelle in December 2008, when his only child Holly was 22 months old.

While she is understandably protective of her personal life, Claire tells New Idea her relationship is stronger than ever despite having to live in different states while she films Masterchef in Sydney.
“My partner Trevor has been really supportive and I know he will be there when I get back,” she said in March. “It sets me free in a lot of ways. He’s been wonderful. It’s made us stronger.”

But last week, the pair were said to be distressed that their 15-month romance was being put under the microscope. “It’s very stressful and horrifying for them,” the source says.

It was a tough week for Claire who was emotional when she faced her first eliminaton challenge last week. The usually composed lawyer burst into tears when asked by judge Gary Mehigan if she thought she ‘d be the one to be eliminated during the toughest taste test challenge.

“I don’t really have much to go back to,” sobbed Claire, who added she no longer has a legal practising certificate.

Last week, Trevor’s law firm took down the solicitor’s picture and profile from its website, reportedly to protect his privacy.

Despite rumours he left his wife for Claire, the source says Trevor and Narelle are on amicable terms for Holly, now three.

“Narelle is a lovely, intelligent professional, not some downtrodden woman with no money who’s been left all alone,” the source says. “They share a common concern for their lovely little girl.”

However TV Week did get a recent quote from Claire which said:

“I feel I’m more in love than I have ever been,” she said of being apart from her unnamed love for the past six months while filming the show. “Distance can be a good thing and a bad thing for a relationship. It’s been hard because you don’t have that day-to-day contact, but it’s good because it makes you appreciate your other half all the more.”

As for future commitments with her man, Claire simply says, “It doesn’t matter whether or not you’ve got a ring on your finger, just as long as we’re together.”

1 Claire Winton-Burn Is More In Love Then She Has Ever Been | reality ravings { 06.21.10 at 2:56 pm }

[…] New post on Claire up now see here. […]

2 Chris Owens { 06.21.10 at 3:01 pm }

Does anyone read these magazines anymore? Surely her private life is just that – private. Who cares if she is a home wrecking wanna be minor celebrity … whoops! If Karen Brooks is reading I didn’t mean to say that. I’d be interested to know why she doesn’t have her practicing certificate anymore, from a professional point of view. Is it because she just didn’t renew it or because of something more sinister. If it’s because she just didn’t renew it, it indicates that she is confident of a career in food as a result of this. That seems a bit arrogant, but it is all supposition anyway.
But seriously, Masterchef is just a front for an international drug cartel. Here’s the proof

3 ericg { 06.21.10 at 3:09 pm }

I think she just did not get her certificate renewed. Claire doesn’t portray a lady who would wash her dirty linens in public which would be something more sinister, Chris. =P

BUT, with RR’s last paragraph, there is a possibility that Claire is a hardcore desperado! A lady who needs a man behind her; married or not. Pity…

4 Ariel { 06.21.10 at 3:53 pm }

I’m waiting for the trashy mag wedding coverage in future…

Claire being a modern woman will hyphenate her surname to Claire Winton-Burn-Thomas and sound like a walking law firm partnership.

5 Paul { 06.21.10 at 4:49 pm }

Wonder if New Idea or Womans Day (can’t remember which) will offer an apology for the blatant bullshit it spun the other week in regards to Claire’s love life.

Well done nonnymouse for calling it initially.

You seem to have some very good sources.

6 rusty { 06.21.10 at 4:49 pm }

It’s very simple, Claire, if the gossip is so distressing –

-stop giving interviews about your personal life
-don’t mention your partner’s name or even if you have one
-don’t talk to women’s mags
-stop sharing with your “friends”
-don’t try to defend or justify yourself if you have already done the above
-stop talking, just stop – just keep silent

and don’t go on reality tv – then wonder why all the above happens

7 dmc { 06.21.10 at 5:06 pm }

This thing about the practicing certificate is complete bulls&%#t. You just pay your money and you get it back. It’s only if you haven’t had one for a significant period (ie: years) that you have certain restrictions on what you can do.

8 Chris Owens { 06.21.10 at 5:15 pm }

dmc,
Your comments about the practicing certificate may or may not be true. It all depends on her circumstances. If she had any restrictions on her previous practicing certificate she can’t apply for a new one without suitable employment. Having restrictions doesn’t mean you have done anything wrong necessarily. I have them on mine notwithstanding that I have been a lawyer for 5 years. I am just too lazy to do the things I need to do to get them removed, which are basically just administrative actions. At least this is true for NSW.
Although it is quite possible there are more interesting reasons for her lack of a certificate.

9 sourkraut { 06.21.10 at 5:33 pm }

This whole thing is so UTTERLY PATHETIC it makes me puke. How people can get their jollies over such utter unmitigated piffle I just dont know.

10 Dolph Ziggler { 06.21.10 at 6:17 pm }

Dolph very much likes a chick “who needs a man behind her”.

11 seepi { 06.21.10 at 6:18 pm }

I kinda like the idea of adding another name to Winton-Burn-whatsit and opening up a law firm. She would look like a whole law firm, all on her lonesome!

– And I’ve just realised – with a name like ‘burn’ Matt P must be waiting and waiting for Claire to burn something, or seriously undercook something, so he can make a comment and incorporate her name!

Sadly for him, Claire is super competent, just a little on the dull side with her food.

12 dmc { 06.21.10 at 7:07 pm }

Chris,
I can’t speak for Victoria (I am also in NSW) but I held a practicing certificate for five years and then let it lapse for 11 years. I contacted the law society and was told in writing that I could simply apply for a new one and the only restriction I had was that I had to be an employee for a certain amount of time before going into sole practice, and I had to do some small course on ethics. It may be different in Victoria (though I would be surprised) but Claire was an employee (I assume) so I can’t see a shortish absence of having a certificate as causing any difficulty whatsoever.

13 Chris Owens { 06.21.10 at 7:51 pm }

dmc,
The only difficulty for her would be if she didn’t have a job to go back to, or couldn’t find another one. Which, in certain circumstances, wouldn’t be out of the question.

14 dmc { 06.21.10 at 7:56 pm }

I agree. It’s ridiculous for her to suggest that a practicing certificate is an impediment to returning to the law,when all she has done is slag off the law every chance she has had. Talk about burning bridges.

15 CG { 06.21.10 at 8:15 pm }

This woman – Claire – is really screwed up. She has gone on national television and told us numerous times how she hates practising law and hates her career. Now she is giving credence to this soap opera story about her love life by providing a response.

This woman cannot go back to her career at Clayton Utz. She will be blacklisted as an emotionally unstable freak who is not interested in a law career if she seeks a job at another firm.

Her dreams about running a restaurant on a winery are fanciful as she has not proven she can cook other than basic bistro fare largely taken from family recipes.

What was she tdhinking?? I seriously don’t think she is stable.

I am quite sure she is not going to win. She doesn’t have the personality (a la Poh) to carry off a media profile post MC. What a mess she has created and she has no one to blame but herself.

16 holy crap { 06.21.10 at 8:28 pm }

CG, you are a seriously vitriolic person. Do you walk around your normal life this angry? How exhausting you must be to exist around.

17 CG { 06.21.10 at 9:03 pm }

Holy Crap: call ’em as I see ’em. Sounds like you might be a friend of Claire’s trying to undo the damage she has done to her career and her reputation. As someone who comes from the corporate world, I am certain Claire is done. I’ve seen it before although not on such a public scale. You don’t trash your employer and profession, get involved in a soap opera like she has and then think you can go back or even be employable. The woman is simply not stable and needs help. Winning MC is not the answer to her problems.

18 Ariel { 06.21.10 at 10:13 pm }

I don’t see Claire as the problem, I see the corporate world as the problem. Only psychopaths and narcissists thrive and succeed in that environment. Claire appears to be someone who has been chewed up and spat out by the corporate world and is now a little fragile and looking to find her real self.

19 Ariel { 06.21.10 at 10:15 pm }

“As someone who comes from the corporate world, I am certain Claire is done.”…..

Statements like that are why the corporate world ain’t a good place to be. Is there any room for er, basic humanity? It’s such a bullshit world.

20 Paul { 06.21.10 at 10:28 pm }

What soap opera ?

She is seeing a man who has been separated from his wife for 2 years.

Its hardly Lindsay Lohan material……

21 Pinky { 06.21.10 at 10:34 pm }

Ariel – totally agree. Seems like the poor girl is just trying to get her life back on track and do something she enjoys. Not sure whether to believe the stuff in the magazines but even if it’s true, it just seems like a really regrettable set of circumstances that should be dealt with in private. Marriages break down, people move on. It sucks but it’s true.

22 anon { 06.21.10 at 11:07 pm }

yeah, it should be dealt with in private. So why does she keep telling the mags all about it?

Don’t tell me she can’t help but tell them or that she is a victim of the media – she’s big girl of 30 something and a lawyer to boot, not a naive child.

The other contestants aren’t being worked over like her – you never hear anything much about Aaron, Adam, Callum, Alvin or Joanne’s private life and she’a far more unpopular than Claire. It’s because they want their private lives to stay that way – Private!

23 Simon { 06.21.10 at 11:58 pm }

C’mon! Claire has hardly been dishing the dirt to the trashy mags… In fact she’s hardly said anything at all beyond a few variations of “I’m really in love” and “my partner has been very supportive during the Masterchef experience”… blah, blah – information that could have quite easily been gleaned from a 30 second phone call made to her by each mag. She likely refused to talk about her private life, said she was happily in love and left it at that. The rest of the stories are just lame fluff pieces with quotes gleaned from “sources” …just BS really.

24 mastermumma { 06.22.10 at 12:22 am }

It sounds like the new idea article has twisted the words to play Claire and her boyfriend in the best light. Sure, infidelity happens, and it is awfully sad when people get hurt. And there are two sides to every story. What’s the other side to this one new idea? I’d say they started a work trip affair soon after the baby was born as is often the case unfortunately – men not being the centre of attention in the house once a baby comes along and all of that – fell in love, and then, sure, started officially ‘dating’ after he left his wife. Is she a home wrecker? Well, it wasn’t a nice thing to do to a new mum, but that’s life, takes two to tango etc I guess. Just a pity she’s felt she needed to cement the relationship by publicising all the details in a trashy magazine. If you were 100% confident in your relationship, surely you’d just keep quiet and not put everyone through it?

25 Reality Raver { 06.22.10 at 12:28 am }

Anon- some of the statements in the mags were from a previous puff piece that Claire did, which would have been fed to them by the Channel Ten to help with publicity for the show, and people wanting to know about the contestants.

I would guess, and I may be wrong, that the few remarks that were attributed to her were given to TV Week again by Ten or Fremantle Media. There is no way they would let media to talk directly to her.

The media unit are like gate keepers to those contestants.

I have written this before, but it would have been very naive of any of this year’s top 24 to think they would be able to keep their love life private. Yes some disgruntled punter has fed a negative yarn about the start of their relationship to the papers, which may or may not be true.
But this was always a risk. For any of them a disgruntled ex or former friend could come out of the wood work to give salacious stories about them.
Unfortunately for them viewers love this stuff, my blog has been going off today with a heap of hits, not sure if it is going to hit five figures like last thursday but could be close.

26 gia { 06.22.10 at 7:19 am }

if the general consensus here is that 1; it’s private and 2; who gives a toss..then why are we even discussing it any further than RR’s blog post?

27 Airwalk { 06.22.10 at 12:05 pm }

I agree with gia on this one…

28 ella { 06.24.10 at 9:45 am }

Okay this whole thing is making me annoyed. Is it not enough that Claire and Trevor started an affair when Trevor had a 3 month old child and that Trevor kept this from his wife for over a year? Now the lovely Claire and her friends have decided the best thing to do for all involved is to comment publicly on the affair. WOW I bet little Holly is going to love reading about all of this in the paper when she is older! Divorce is hard enough for everyone involved without having it discussed in the tabloids. Claire would have known when she decided to audition for masterchef that her private life would become public and just ignored the effect of the fall out on everyone else. As for Trevor … don’t even get me started. I am not sure how anyone conducts themselves as he has and can get up in the morning and face the world, let alone their 3 year old and their wife (because let’s not forget that they were married for a year of the affair and still are).

29 MasterCHEF { 06.24.10 at 1:15 pm }

This is MasterCHEF not MasterPersonalLife. Who. CARES!

She is one of the best cooks on the show, she is Le Cordon Bleau trained and has a passion for fresh tasty food. Why anyone would get caught up in any of this rubbish is beyond me. Let Claire do what she does best and stop sticky beaking into her private life, which is exactly that PRIVATE. The trashy mags can blow this up as much as they want but boy it must be a slow gossip week because this is not newsworthy. Let her cook

30 Reality Raver { 06.24.10 at 2:48 pm }

This Claire thing is really confusing me.

31 practical I { 06.28.10 at 11:59 am }

If there was still a Ralph magazine, she’d be on the cover.

32 Masterchef Claire’s Secret Wedding Plan to Clayton Utz Lawyer Trevor Thomas | Firm Spy { 07.22.10 at 8:59 am }

[…] Idea reported: The former work colleagues at Clayton Utz law firm began dating after Trevor, 36, separated from […]

33 LucyBaker { 07.23.10 at 6:23 pm }

Do people seriously think that Claire can claim her private life shouldn’t be scrutinised after she entered a reality television show? If she won, she would be appalled not to get masses of coverage – private life ‘n all. I thought she was quite obnoxious – tearful on cue, when she wanted special treatment.

34 Bruce { 07.24.10 at 7:02 pm }

Claire is soo friggin hot…I would go down on her ANYDAY…i bet she tastes like choclatyclaire…

35 Shirley { 07.16.11 at 8:52 pm }

Phnmeoeanl breakdown of the topic, you should write for me too!

36 merlyn { 03.19.12 at 5:22 pm }

guys, do you know Claire Burn’s social media?please tell me. this is my email merlyn_bondi@yahoo.com

37 littlepetal { 03.19.12 at 5:25 pm }

If you google her name, you may come up with something?